Fragrance Reviews from September 2009

Jackisblack's avatar

All American by Stetson

I really like this. It's a good, if not generic smell, but for the price you can't beat it. Nice clean smell. Won't offend anyone and you probably won't draw any compliments, but you'll feel good. Like a football star :P. A solid addition to anyones cabinet.

Britannia's avatar

Frederick's of Hollywood by Frederick's of Hollywood

If only this fragrance weren't discontinued! I used to work at Freddy's, and when word got out that it was being discontinued, I actually had a woman come in and buy almost $400 worth of the fragrance -- all of the bottles we had left! Then, over the next few weeks, I had many frantic women come in, asking if we had any left, and one lady even bought a tester bottle that had 1/3 of it gone! She said that she had bought all that she could online, and was devastated that her signature fragrance was gone for good.
    I agreed with all those women; F is a gorgeous fragrance, well-blended and seductive with just enough floral to keep it from ending up dirty. I actually filched all of the old tester bottles that I could because I too loved the fragrance so much -- it really didn't smell bad on anyone, whether they came into the boutique with it on or tried it on in the store! My boyfriend of the time expressed serious disappointment when I wasn't "smelling like a bombshell" anymore once those bottles ran out.
    R.I.P. ... but please come back from the dead!

Britannia's avatar

Juicy Couture by Juicy Couture

I haven't smelled this on anyone else, but on me it becomes an offensive and terribly sweet fragrance, muddled with other notes that just turn it into a synthetic mess. It is very youthful, and perhaps could work on the right girl, but I frankly have a terrible opinion of it.

kirsitn's avatar

Norway Norway

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

I'm not able to pick out a single note from this perfume, but it smells fabulous on my skin. Kind of fruity, but not too sweet and kind of spicy, but not too sharp. It strongly reminds me of something I've smelled before, but so far I haven't managed to figure out what it is.

As for the bottle - yes, it's tacky, but I couldn't care less about what the bottle looks like as long as I like the stuff that's inside it.

Swanky's avatar

Vermeil for Men by Vermeil

One of the best values out there, if you can find it. The bottle is made to resemble a cigarette lighter, although the tobacco note in it is closer to cigar or pipe and quite mild. Mostly it has a clean and green scent not unlike Irish Spring soap, with a hearty smoky character. For the money (I paid about $14 on ebay) it is well worth it. The longevity is excellent; the fragrance is pretty linear but the good news is, if you like it when it first goes on, you'll like the drydown. Uber-masculine if not totally a powerhouse. Recommended.

25 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 29 May, 2012)

JaimeB's avatar

Un Bois de Sépia by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Luca Turin, in "Perfumes: The Guide," presents an analysis of a few scents which would derive them, among them Bois de Violette, Bois et Fruits, and Un Bois Vanille from the earlier Féminité du Bois.He traces its history, ultimately deriving its concept from Chanel Bois des Îles through Caron Parfum Sacré to the cedar and fruity accord that Pierre Bourdon conceived while in Marrakech, and then passed on to Christopher Sheldrake. He in turn made it into Lutens' first introduction for the Palais Royal Shiseido collection. Turin says that Bourdon and Sheldrake "generously credit each other" with the concept; but the technique of "overdosage," in which a background note in one version of a scent is brought forward to a central position, each one in turn, to make a series of related perfumes, says Turin, is Bourdon's bit of genius. I don't know if you can properly call these scents "flankers" of Feminité du Bois, but the family resemblance is unmistakable.

Turin goes on to pan Un Bois Sépia, but Un Bois Sépia is just as much one of the flankers of Féminité du Bois as the others. It is the one that emphasizes the woods and resins and soft-pedals the fruity notes of the parent scent. Sandalwood, cypress, vetiver, patchouli, and opopanax make for an opulent effect that is truly memorable. Un Bois Sépia is not the most delicate, nor the most stunning, of the series, but it might fairly be said to be the subtlest, and to have the densest base note of the pentad. It develops incrementally through the soft, then the sparkling, then the deep aspects of the accord. Not the greatest in longevity, nor in sillage of the group, but perhaps the most soothing and comforting.

26 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 14 October, 2009)

Margareta's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Onde Mystère by Giorgio Armani

Not for sale in my country. Got a litle sample when I was traveling in another european country. I do love this wonderful oriental-vanilla-fraganse! Gentle and deep at the same time! Very easy to wear! I will buy it the next time I get to another country!

Notes from osMoz:
    top: Rose, Spices
    heart: Incense, Benzoin
    base: Musk, Vanilla, Amber

evinick's avatar

Greece Greece

Rose Wood / Blackcurrant / Cyclamen by Korres

The strictly female scent from KORRES trio, confused me a bit. Having reviewed the two other EDT’s first ( both of them could easily be considered as unisex), I was expecting something else. Used to the warm oriental-woody character of those I was initially disappointed with this one. A blast of freshly cut roses and grass over a hazy fruity background opens the composition. The middle is more pleasant yet still floral (Rose note persists but it’s sweeter) with all kinds of flowers and blossoms : rose, lily,cyclamen, violet and freesia according to KORRES (It’s OK if you can smell only roses). The best is kept for last . The base is powdery floral with white musk nuances at the end. Innocence and purity. I can imagine it (in a different bottle of course) on Queen Elizabeth's the 1st boudoir. Rather classic than contemporary. If you like YSL’s ‘’Paris’’ , L’Occitane’s ‘’ Eau de 4 Reines’’ or Jean Charles Brosseau's ''Ombre Rose'', this is your next ‘’coup de coeur ‘’.

evinick's avatar

Greece Greece

Saffron / Amber / Agar Wood / Cardamom by Korres

Modern and elegant, but not luxurious. A great all day long masculine scent that works better in cold winter days. Powerful Spicy opening (cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg and a fresh note of bergamot) that calms down with a deeper, woody heart (sandalwood, cedarwood, saffron). The base is just perfect. More sweet than spicy incorporates notes of leather, amber and woods and stays really close to the body for quite a long time. The minimalistic package and the old pharmacy bottle as well as the detailed ingredient list used as the EDT’s name just complement the KORRES concept for natural ingredient products with a fresh attitude.

michailG's avatar

Kenzo Power by Kenzo

Bright opening... and then so little! Powdery along with cedar wood, yes quite some of that. It does last long and it is pleasant in a comforting sweet and powdery way. Try this. I am not a fun though.

Worth1969's avatar

CK Free by Calvin Klein

Boring, unoriginal and barely there. This is a nothing fragrance.
    I'm curious when the fragrance industry will get over the light, citrus-fruit and aquatic phaze - While there are a few well made, interesting fresh scents, I yearn for something rich and distinctive like the original
    Versace L'Homme or the original Bernini (Black Bottle). Between the
    rappers and other annoying celebrities and the sell-out mainstream
    fragrance companies, the art of perfumery is quickly disappearing.
    Very sad, indeed.

AnnaBanana's avatar

Maybe Baby by Benefit

A nice, sweet, fresh scent. Reminds me of Vera Wang, but less clingy and cloying. While VW reminds me of air freshener, MB is clearer, cleaner, cooler, and prettier. Not bad, a rather "sure thing" for a clean scent in the workaday world, unoffensive and uplifting.

yasarzongur's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Animale Animale for Men by Animale Parfums

Animale Animale and Amen have similar conclusions but the former is less tormenting than the later.

26 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 28 September, 2009)

Zut's avatar

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

At first, I really thought this fragrance was the one for me. All the ingredients are part of my personal "olfactory palette". The rich amber note really appealed to me. However, just a few minutes after I applied it, a cheap overpowering musky note took over (although there is no musk mentioned in the base notes) and I started to smell like a skunk. Truly revolting. Normally, fragrance don't have a good staying power on me but this one stuck to me like crazy glue, unfortunately. Don't get me wrong, I am sure it is a great fragrance for some. But for me, it is a definite no-no. Too bad...

SirSlarty's avatar

S-ex by S-Perfume

Man this is light. I was worried that my nose was broken but now relieved to read that everyone else has the same experience. I get little out of this but it's a nice light scent that stays close to you. It's very bland with little identifiable scent. Very avant guard like CdG and the like. I used to think that the abstract perfumes were amazing but from the top to the bottom S-ex doesn't get any from me.

Patchouli Patch by L'Artisan Parfumeur

L'Artisan Patchouli Patch

Ever since I first smelled patchouli oil on a person in my early teens I have liked the scent of it. There is something about patchouli that comes off as a comfort scent on me and also, in some way, reminds me of my youth at the same time. I own and like many of the patchouli-based scents that are available and it doesn't take much more than a well-blended mix of patchouli to get my seal of approval. The 2002 L'Artisan release Patchouli Patch does have something else going for it besides the titular note it also has my favorite current perfumer Bertrand Duchaufour as its co-designer, along with Evelyne Boulanger. That takes Patchouli Patch up a notch, for me. The top of Patchouli Patch is an interesting mix of patchouli and the sweet floral note of osmanthus. The combination accentuates the sweeter aspects of patchouli but it also allows the herbal contrast inherent in patchouli to stand out more clearly, as well. The move into the heart is accompanied by sheer white musk which adds a quality of making the patchouli feel broken-in as if you've been wearing it for hours instead of an hour. The white musk gives the feel of a sun-warmed skin accord and that seems perfect. The base is an interesting choice to pair the patchouli with a stark anise. The cool anise is at right angles to the now warm patchouli and gives the base of Patchouli Patch an icy warm feel that is great to experience. The choice of a few notes to go with patchouli which progress the scent from sweet to warm to cool is really quite inspired. Patchouli Patch has avarage longevity and sillage on me. Yes its easy to get me to like a patchouli perfume but in the case of Patchouli Patch its a pleasure to wear and no hardship to enjoy.

Caprissimo by Carthusia

Carthusia Caprissimo

Carthusia makes two of my favorite scents in Carthusia Uomo and Numero Uno. Numero Uno is one of the better chypres out there, on me. I was very excited when I read Carthusia was re-issuing Caprissimo which was reportedly a former gem of a green chypre. I haven't been able to confirm whether this re-issue has any resemblance to the original but I do know that I like this version quite a bit. The top starts with a Mediterranean lemon accord mixed with green aspects. This is an opening that is bright and very common. For all of that familiarity I find it is one I like quite a bit. The heart of Carpissimo is a deep floral mix of jasmine, frangipani, and osmanthus. The green notes from the top stay in place to keep the floral heart from becoming too much the focus of Caprissimo. These three floral notes feel like they are made for each other as they create a heady floral bouquet. The base is a beautiful mix of cedar, sandalwood and myrrh. This mix of woods and myrrh make for a strong base that contrasts the green floral of the heart. Caprissimo feels like another take on a chypre without the oakmoss and the use of the myrrh works for me in that regard. If the original Caprissimo was indeed a green chypre it is my guess that this new incarnation is an attempt to stay true to that original while working within the new formulation guidelines. Caprissimo has average longevity on me and average sillage. Caprissimo is another winner for me from Carthusia.

Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Frederic Malle Carnal Flower

Most of the fragrances I wear I get them on the first wear and subsequent wears rarely expose something I miseed on the first sniff. There are far fewer fragrances that are much different depending on the temperature and yet are rewarding in both warm and cold. Then there are the rare gems which are ever changing kaleidoscopes of notes which seem to reveal different beautifully complex combinations as if by whim. I think no matter how many times I wear them I'll never figure them out completely. One of these gems is the 2005 release for Frederic Malle Editions de Parfum, Carnal Flower. Dominique Ropion has created an incredible tuberose centered scent that is easily worn by a man and will reward those wearings with one of the most beautifully textured scents you could wear. If you take a look at the note list for Carnal Flower it can be a little off-putting. If you think that a scent with things like melon, coconut and eucalyptus has to be an unblanced bit of craziness, no one could blame you. If it keeps you from trying this, that is too bad. From the top a little bergamot starts things off traditionally and it is quickly joined by the tuberose core of Carnal Flower. The description on the box boasts that Carnal Flower has the highest concentration of tuberose absolute of any fragrance and the intensity of the tuberose throughout the develpopment definitely shows this to be true. As the tuberose begins to come to the fore the first surprise is that note of eucalyptus as the camphor-like nature of that plays elegantly against the sweet floral nature of the tuberose. This beginning has felt different on me every time I wear this. Sometimes the eucalyptus seems like an equal partner and other times it seems like it is a grace note. As this moves into the heart the other problematic notes come into play as the melon and coconut show up but they are kept in check thorughout and are used as complemetary notes. Here the sweetness of both the coconut and the melon enhance instead of detract; as they do for me in so many other scents they are used in. The base is a mix of white musk and tuberose and the musk proves to be a perfect light partner. For something with this much tuberose in it it never rises to the level of seeming to be too-much on me. It stays at an appropriate level for a shared fragrance. Carnal Flower has excellent longevity and excellent sillage. Carnal Flower is just one of the best scents I own.

Encre Noire by Lalique

Lalique Encre Noire

When many of us start looking around Basenotes one of the first things we discover is the high level of esteem Guerlain Vetiver is held in. For many of us, I am sure, that Guerlain Vetiver is the first vetiver most of us try. From there it becomes a gateway to the number of great vetivers out there. In my estimation Givenchy Vetyver and Guerlain Vetiver were the alpha vetivers, at the beginning, as both came out in the late 50's early 60's. It took until the 21st century for the next evolution to really take place as there are two vetivers that really take those beginnings and move vetiver forward. Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire is one and the other is the 2006 creation by Nathalie Lorson, Lalique Encre Noire. Encre Noire takes vetiver and roughs it up by adding in some woody notes and more particularly a spicy underpinning that makes it a real "Noire" kind of scent. The top of Encre Noire comes in with the sharper edges of vetiver on display and it is balanced with a light wood of cypress and a hint of smokiness. As this develops the vetiver becomes more herbal in nature which adds some greenness to this and here the woods turn softer, in conjunction with the softening of the vetiver. There are also some spicy notes that become more prominent in the heart adding some complementary edginess to the woods and vetiver. The base eschews the woods and brings in a dark sensual musk to pair with the vetiver. This is where I really get the feeling of something happening in the middle of the night and in a good way. Encre Noire has average longevity on me and slightly below average sillage. It wears fairly close to my skin which makes it an ideal going out at night scent for me. If you're a fan of vetiver you have to try Encre Noire. If you're a fan of great perfumery you have to try Encre Noire. This is one of the best perfumes out there.

Private Collection Jasmine White Moss by Estée Lauder

Estee Lauder Private Collection Jasmine White Moss

The banning of oakmoss as an ingredient is creating some interesting by-products as perfumers try to compose chypres without using the out of favor ingredient. This is leading to a renaissance of chypres being composed as the creativity of these artists is being challenged. One of the latest and best examples of this trend is the third release in the Estee Lauder Private Collection, Jasmine White Moss. This 2009 release is, according to the press materials, a co-creation of Estee Lauder who had been working on this in the 80's and it was re-discovered and finished by her granddaughter Aerin Lauder. I think this explains the feel of Jasmine White Moss as a cross between a strong floral 80's scent and a cleaner more modern 21st century creation. The top of this does go on with a huge floral bang reminiscent of that 80's style. What is nice is where one of those 80's powerhouses would have kept you encircled in that floral cloud; Jasmine White Moss allows the sun to shine in a bit and break up the floral fog. What shines in is what is called in the notes, White Moss Mist. I'm not sure if I know what that is but to my nose it smells like clean fresh oakmoss right out of the package. What that means is this accord has the ability to add some of the depth of oakmoss without some of the funkier aspects that go along with it. It feels like those elements have been left behind in the chemistry behind composing a replacement for it. That doesn't make it smell bad it makes it smell different like a fresh version of oakmoss and in Jasmine White moss it creates a brightness in the heart which I find captivating. Jasmine White Moss stays firmly floral and white moss for most of its development. I get some patchouli and vetiver very late in the drydown but this scent is very much what it says on the bottle. Jasmine White Moss has above average longevity and above average projection. They say necessity is the mother of invention, in this case it looks like Estee Lauder might have been the grandmother of invention for Aerin Lauder and the invention they created is quite beautiful.

Redneck Perfumisto's avatar

Côte d'Amour by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Let me start off by saying that this is a really enjoyable scent. It stands out, it smells nice, and it's very pleasant and very sniffable. I think it most certainly showcases the talent of Céline Ellena. It's just "not me." It is just a wee bit too feminine in a floral and powdery way. In that region of perfumery, my comfort limit is probably Kenzo Power. If you can imagine a seaside version of Kenzo Power with a bit more exposure of the florals, a bit more restraint on the powder, and only a hint of woody and traditionally masculine notes, you would have something close to Côte d'Amour.

The fragrance starts off with a fresh aromatic and slightly floral feel, which is quite nice. I detect some subtle notes which feel a lot like its sister scent, L'Eau de Jatamansi - but in a very nice familial homage way, not in a copying way. This may be the grapefruit and mandarin. In any case, it is a bit "zingy" (Mike P.'s word), but not quite as much as Jatamansi. It has that same clarity which foetidus noted in Jatamansi, too. As the scent progresses, it provides a significant shot of powder/soap. This is very sniffable, and it does seem to capture one's full attention. It is not at all incompatible with the maritime image. There is actually a bit of sillage - it was competing successfully with dog odor as my dog, overdue for a bath, was riding around with me in the truck. I don't detect a lot of wood in the drydown. The base is extremely subtle, but nice. I know that other reviewers get a strong marine or salt component for the duration of the scent, but I really only get a mild (but long-lived) maritime presence. This may be due to my skin. Nevertheless, I do get a very strong white and blue association with the scent - a color theme very successfully exploited by the scent's packaging. I initially feared some kind of sea monster - perhaps a beast called "Caloone" - but no - there is nothing here to fear.

This scent gives me the image of a beautiful woman on the deck of a ship in the morning breeze, while the sun is still low and obscured by lingering clouds. She's clean, and fresh, and wearing a white terrycloth robe. The wind blows her hair, and she smiles as she leans against the railing and looks out over the ocean, waiting just a bit before she plots a new course to somewhere exciting and adventurous. Meanwhile, I'm on the shore, skipping rocks, walking my dog, and breathing in my Sel de Vétiver. I imagine what it must be like to be on a ship. We will never meet, but it's OK. C'est l'amour.

Supergrown's avatar

Fierce for Men by Abercrombie & Fitch

If you haven't visited an Abercrombie store then this is one of those fragrances that not only smells like a dark designer-store, but one that is to me a super subtle, sophisticated and a clean smell. I live in the UK and this always reminds me of my holiday to California so I never get tired of it - I feel I can wear this throughout the year, always impressing people. I'm new here so I would appreciate somebody to recommend me similar smells to this.

I find that it's one of those fragrances that everybody can smell on you but you never seem to, which I guess for some people is a good thing.

The bottle is definalty less appealing than the fragrance. I'll keep this in my wardrobe for a very long time until the Brits recognise it as a store too.

Supergrown's avatar

Usher for Men by Usher

...Usher!?! No-way is what I initially thought. I'm not going to have him or T-Pain ruin my day. But taking a sample back to the office and passing it around to all the girls made me feel quite differently about it all. If I'm allowed to say, then it does not have the drydown shampooy note that I feel Green Irish Tweed has, yet to me it has sharper notes than Cool Water.

I think it is a crisp fresh smell and you shouldn't write it off too quickly, although it fades pretty quickly. Definatley a smell for the younger, much younger man.

mysolegia's avatar

Portugal Portugal

Tuscany per Donna by Estee Lauder

This has been my signature scent since 1995. I keep coming back to it, even after I discover something else that I totally love. I'm wearing it now and I can't even conceive of loving something more than TPD. It has everything I love in a scent---wood, spice, flowers and herbs. Think open hilly fields filled with wildflowers on a sunny day somewhere near Palermo. That's what I am reminded of when I wear it.

mysolegia's avatar

Portugal Portugal

Tabu by Dana

LOLOL some of these reviews are killing me!

I love the stuff. I love patchouli and I'm a slut so this combination is just perfect for me isnt it? :p tounge firmly in cheek, I swear!

danis's avatar

Romania Romania

Jil Sander No. 4 by Jil Sander

it's wonderful! I hope will never be discontinued!

Eau Neuve (original) by Lubin

2007 Re-issue

Opens with a clean and not tart lemon and chamomile blending. There's also something from the Chinese kitchen coming through but I just can't place it. Soon lavender appears and a growing similarity to Blenheim Bouquet becomes clear. Like with most lemon fragrances the lemon can't stand up too long and within 3 hours I'm left struggling to pick out the lemon underneath the light lavender and fragrant wood.

There is something important to note here and it's that I've never come across chamomile in a fragrance before. When I smell it here, paired with lemon, it surprises me that the pairing is not more common, it really seems like a natural choice. But really that's by the by in this case as ultimately this novelty can't raise my interest in this rather boring lemon fragrance.

Anvers by Ulrich Lang

Very unusual indeed, sweet, flowery, smoky, leafy, musty and fresh all at the same time. I don't get a second hand smoke (in the air) smell but I do get the smell of a smoker that has finished their cigarette and is now chewing sage and mint gum.

At the moment I feel it's just not for me, but it is interesting enough that I'll definitely give it a try again in 6 months. I'll say neutral for now.

Yuzu Ab Irato 09 by Parfumerie Generale

Starting with an instant blast of sharp and zesty citrus fruit. At first I thought lemon zest, then grapefruit zest, then orange zest... let's just leave it a citrus zest. Yuzu, Ab Irato nearly has the character of a Penhaligon but ultimately falls some way short. There is something of an accord happening here as I struggle to pick out any more than pine from the mix. Although it's certainly complex it does feel a little too generic. As I said, snub this and sample some Penhaligons.

Domenico Caraceni 1913 by Domenico Caraceni

What an impressive fragrance, but what really impresses me is the number of stunning reviews of 1913 here on BNs. Seldom have I seen so many reviews of this standard for one fragrance. Could it be that 1913 is so special as to bring out the best in the reviewers? I think so. What can I say that hasn't been already, well not much new really, only that in the first hour I believe I can pick out elderflower.... I can also offer glowing praise though. 1913 is wonderful and is on my 'Wishlist'.