Fragrance Reviews from September 2009

adowds's avatar

Ireland Ireland

L'Altra Follia di Aquarama by Riva

Opens very obviously smelling of tobacco leaves. It is green, bitter and a little musty. Like Rivarama there is liquorice here, but this isn't a sweet liquorice. On paper one would assume that the liquorice is coming from the star anise, but I just don't get any of the feel of star anise, mainly it's mentholated property. To me there is no star anise here at all but there is liquorice extract. There is certainly a little pepperiness to L'Altra but it's so faint that it could be the cumin, cinnamon or the rose pepper causing it. I imagine I'll never find the source of the pepperiness as I dislike L'Altra and can't see it crossing my path again. Lasts for a reasonable 4-5 hours pretty much as it starts out as a leafy, musty, liquorice with a little pepper. To me this stuff is just a mess.

adowds's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Atao by Lostmarc'h

First of all this is not a feminine fragrance, if anything it's masculine, and less likely a unisex leaning towards masculine.

This is nearly a cut and paste of Comme des Garcons - Series 8 Energy C Lemon. Opens quite calmly with clean and soft lemon. Over the next two hours fragrant wood and a trace of spiciness appear and they remain until the end along with the lemon. Never becoming tart Atao is a pleasant lemon fragrance that I’d be more than happy to smell on others but not myself. Nice but very boring.

JonB's avatar

A*Men Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler

The whiskey accord seems quite raw to me. Many boozy frags make great use of the material in attractive accords, but I don't have the same reaction here. Yes, it's malt, but it's not adding anything attractive to me. The base is A*men, but neutered a little too much. An OK scent, but Pure Coffee is a much nicer version.

varvara's avatar

Heliotrope by Etro

do you have a sweet tooth? here is sugar in a bottle! the sweetest, creamy, vanilla and rice pudding scent with a smidge of orange blossom.
    yuuuuuum! the cologne has surprising longevity as well.

Lo Grecco's avatar

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

Hey guys. I love perfumes but I´m not an expert as some people down here. After saying this, let´s go thru my humble review.
    I´ve sampled today this perfum as well as Paco Rabanne´s Ultrared Man and Polo Ralph Lauren´s Modern Reserve.
    Of the three, the worst for me was the Black XS. I can´t tell exactly why this fragrance was so bad to me. What I can say is, I am an alergic type of person (and additionally, I have ashtma) and couldn´t breathe well after smelling it. This way, I´ve had to run to the bathroom and brush it off completely after some minutes. So, I would alert allergics to be cautious when using this perfume. Concerning the fragrance itself, it was totally unpleasant to me. Don´t ask me why. I even ask a couple of friends, and their wives as well as my girfriend to smell it on my skin and, nobody liked it. Since this was not the first time that I´ve sampled this frag, what I can say is: definitely I will never buy it.

DO NOT BUY IT BLIND! TRY FIRST.

Frip's avatar

Givenchy Play Intense by Givenchy

This is good. It's just a little too thickly sweet for me. Though disappointingly crass, I can sort of understand why Justin Timberlake was chosen as the face of this fragrance. Like Leonardo DeCaprio, no matter how old he gets, Timberlake seems eternally stuck in the 8th grade. This is the scent that a cute 8th grade boy's cute girlfriend would want him to smell like. Point being, I'm not sure YOU want to smell like that. I imagine his hairdo at it's biggest smells like this.

Still, no doubt, a very good scent. But for us normal folk, for Christmas Eve only.

YouCanCallMeMo's avatar

Youth Dew by Estée Lauder

Poor Youth Dew, with its Baby Jane bottle and name evocative of bathing in virgins' blood....it gets such a bad rap. Nonetheless, taken on its own, it's a truly beautiful fragrance that garners compliments and husbandly attention every time I wear it. I use the original formulation: a vintage bottle of the bath oil....I apply a few drops of bath oil on wet skin before towelling off, and get a day of good sillage and unbeatable longevity. Be careful with spraying an EdT or EdP, it's potent! But, give this classic a try. Don't listen to the ageist cries of the great unwashed, Youth Dew is a modern wonder!

D&G Le Bateleur 1 by Dolce & Gabbana

No.1 LE BATELEUR - The Seducer. Provocative and playful - ragingly passionate yet enviably cool - this is a man who gets what he wants. Now you know why ad agencies make a mint. Words inspire. And inspiration often create wonders. But in this case, it's best you forget the inspiration behind the scent. Le Bateleur will do no seducing on your behalf; it's simply not up to it. Sorry. The ginger opening note reminds me of Kenzo Tokyo somewhat but without the winter element that makes Tokyo interesting, Le Bateleur's straight game shows itself for what it is - a pricey spicy drugstore sports fragrance - one that will never inspire me to buy.

D&G L'Imperatrice 3 by Dolce & Gabbana

No.3 L'IMPERATRICE - The Star. Vibrant and magnetic, she exudes charisma and force of character. All heads turn when she enters a room. LOL, no way - not unless it is a room full of parched throats. For the scent is the equivalent of a serving of succulent melons and ripe pink guava. I smell no kiwis nor watermelons, both of which are listed as notes despite their rather shy scents but whatever, I'm just too disappointed; someone has deemed it fit that the 'signature' note for The Star should be a fruit. What a fruitcake! Nevertheless this is an appealing scent that will find adoring fans among young women.

D&G L'Amoureaux 6 by Dolce & Gabbana

No.6 L'AMOUREAUX - The Charmer. Desired by all he meets, melts the most cynical of hearts, this charmer is all about intensity. I agree with the 'intensity' bit. This is bullshit in all its intensity. And that's why people will buy this stuff - bullshit sells! Especially if it smells as charming as L'Amoureaux. The bergamot, juniper and pink pepper opening salvo is sharply reminiscent of Green Irish Tweed's own but faster than you can say 'clone' it reveals a powdery mildly woodsy heart and a hint of musk. Pleasant, even predictable, especially to experienced noses. Those same noses will hopefully remember that while a handful have done richer and tighter takes of the genre, many others have fared worse. But to judge a scent on its own merit, this is not all that bad. Easily wearable if not generic.

D&G La Roue de la Fortune 10 by Dolce & Gabbana

No.10 LA ROUE DE LA FORTUNE - The Player. Adventurous and creative - the epitome of surprise - its wearers are intrepid, experimental, players of life's game. Corny marketing taglines aside, I'm surprised I kinda like this one. The opening floral bouquet hits me with the subtlety of a brick but it does so without overwhelming. Maybe I'm so used to hitting into brickwalls. However, picking out the listed jasmine, gardenia and tuberose notes proves to be far too challenging for my mortal nose. Blame it on the brickwalls if you will though I suspect the benzoin is the culprit who runs interference. He killed the patchouli too I bet since I detect none. With drydown approaching, the florals shuffle towards the exits while the gourmand aspect takes haltering steps towards centerstage. And what I'm left with in the end is a delicious whiff of vanilla-esque custard. Yum-my. I love custard.

D&G La Lune 18 by Dolce & Gabbana

No. 18 LA LUNE - The Dreamer. Fresh yet sensual - a perfect enigma. Or so the ads say. I find it fresh and slightly soapy but nothing sensual in this blend of lily, tuberose, orris, sandlewood, musk and white leather. To me it feels more like a cross between Tommy Girl and Paul Smith Story with a frugality of notes which hint at 'cheap' or 'synthetic'. And that's what the collection of washed out notes is making this out to be - a perfume on a tight budget. A shame really. In the hands of a master I believe the combination of notes can be a killer but I must concede even a master can't do much with the pocket change of a 5th grader.

Jack Hunter's avatar

Bois Marocain by Tom Ford

I tried this in Selfridges department store and I got a blast of a peppery woody fragrance. It did not wow me at first but the more time went by it grew on me.

Its warm and sensual and I cannot help think this scent would go best with wearing a suit.

seasoldiermarine's avatar

Clubman by Pinaud

My God I love this After Shave, I've been wearing it for most of my Adult Life and will never tire of it. It's the working horse version of After Shaves, and you can put it on and NOT wear a cologne or EDT if you choose. It's actually better than some Designer frags, and it's in the same league with the Adidas, Nauticas, types of After Shaves for 1/4 the price. Great Deal indeed

Coco by Chanel

This is what my mom wears. I normally hate womens' fragrances (no offense ladies) :P however I enjoy the smell of this one. It's strong, and a spray or two is all that's needed. My mom almost never uses fragrance, so occasionally if i feel like making an impression, I spray this on. I feel confident with it on. Very feminine oriental vibe, but at the same time, it feels masculine on me. I like!!! I've also smelled this on several women, and ladies out there reading this, I can not tell you how much I like this scent on a girl :P (except my mom since that's creepy haha)

cK one by Calvin Klein

So far, I haven't really liked the CK fragrances I've tried and I've never heard good things, but I tried this one today, and it is awesome! A good smell. Radiates confidence, yet not overbearing. It will do the trick for any occasion. I saw the scent pyramid, and am not at all surprised green tea is one of the components. It stays through the top, middle, and base. The green is not overbearing at all, but it smells excellent. I saw the 0.5 oz decant, and I have to say I will be buying it!

Havana by Aramis

I really want to get a hold of some of this, can anyone recommend me a reliable website or retailer(i think retailers have discontinued?) where I could get this? Thanks

Emporio Armani Diamonds by Giorgio Armani

I like this one a LOT better than the mens' version. :P

annalyssa's avatar

Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel

Wow this smells terrible on me. So synthetic, overpowering, and burning my nostrils, I swear. Also, my dog looks severely unimpressed.

I'm trying to wait for the dry down but might have to scrub it off right now. And I really only sprayed a tiny bit! I suspect CM is the fragrance everyone wears to work in the morning, the overwhelming scent of which turns public transit riders into perfume-haters.

Black Mask's avatar

Absinthe by Slatkin

I can only speak to Slatkin's Black Fig and Absinthe as it appears in a bath soak, but I give that product my highest review. A small amount of the clear, thick liguid produces an abundance of very pleasant long lasting froth and bubbles. The fragrance is rich, warm. not sweet, not floral, deep, stimulating, memorable, and long lasting as it fills the tub and room in which you bathe. The scent lingers close to the body after the bath. I would describe this as a male scent only because it is so different from all the citrus, aqua fragrances we are sold a "unisexual." My wife likes it, and I believe women would wear it nicely in a cologne. There are no notes I do not like, and this fragrance does not need to introduce an agressive scent in order to dry down into a pleasing, rich offshoot of a scent I did not like at the top--something I find many fine creations depend on for their complex result. I would not call this a linear scent, nor is it very complex, but it is very rich and deep, and quite interesting enough just as ii is. If I found it in some variation in a cologne, I would buy it if it smelled close to this bath product. A very appealing and high quality creation.

Happy for Men by Clinique

Smells nice and makes you smile for about 15minutes. Then it's gone! Lasting power is horrible and if you spray too much it becomes too strong a smell. Not recommended.

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

One of my favorites. Has gotten me the most female compliments. Unfortunatly the smell has become rather common. If you need a head turner smell, buy this one.

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

Bought this by mistake. Wanted Egoiste, but the assistent gave me platinum egoiste. I really wanted to love this scent, but after wearing it 2-3 times it got nausiating. IMO this is a old mans smell and has strong aftertaste of metal. Gave it to my father instead.

PI is very original though. Never smelled anything like it. I would only wear this on a very formal occation. 2 sprays are more than enough.

Reaction for Men by Kenneth Cole

I tested it and it smelled nice. Bought it and wore it a couple of times. After a while it becomes clear that this fragrance has nothing special about it. It smells a bit cheap and lasting power is also not very good.

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

One of my absolute favorites. Very sweet and strawberry'ish but in a non nautiating way. When I wear this I can't stop smelling myself. Try it if you like sweet scents.

La Cologne Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

This one smells like one of my mothers perfumes. Way too feminine! Try before buying is all that I can say.

chickletg's avatar

Gardénia by Chanel

I made a special trip to the Chanel boutique in San Francisco to buy this, and was bitterly disappointed. It smelled of fly spray on me, completely synthetic and, like others, I could pick up no Gardenia flower scent at all. Tried it a few times at different times of day but ended up selling it on. Such a shame as I REALLY wanted to love it. Luckily I bought Cuir De Russie and Bois Des Illes at the same time and they more than made up for it.

chickletg's avatar

L'Aimant by Coty

This was the first scent I ever wore, I think I first smelled it on my grandmother. I recently tried the spray but found it wimpish and sickly but the pinky cream in the wee black bottle was much warmer and softer on my skin. I bought one ( while waiting for a promised new (to me) Serge Lutens to come in to my local dept store) and would recommend this above the sprays. Still sits somewhere close to and between Arpege and Chanel 5 to my nose.

lisawaters1's avatar

Casmir by Chopard

I wore Shalimar for years and then when I met my husband, he informed me that he thought my perfume smelled like his old aunt. Needless to say I set about finding a new perfume. I absolutely fell in love with Casimir and I wear it to this day. Although I still miss Shalimar.....:)

Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel

It is so difficult for me to review these superb classic Chanel women’s fragrances – the No. 5’s, No. 19, Cristalle, Bois des Iles, Coco, and more. Although they are all different, I tend to take one sniff of any one of them and the only thing that pops into my mind is: “Perfect!” There’s not much more that I can say about it. Coco Mademoiselle is softer than Coco, and, like Coco… it’s perfect…

27th September, 2009