Fragrance Reviews from September 2009

Bigsly's avatar
    Bigsly

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

I agree with those who view this as "synthetic" and "cheap." I sampled it twice and had to wash it off twice, because it started to become nauseating. Those with skin chemistry that really soaks up fragrances might not have as much of a problem with it, however. My skin holds on to certain notes and doesn't let go. If you have that same issue, and like the idea of this, try Black Walnut by Banana Republic instead. Or if you want a strong tobacco, try Michael for Men (Kors). I have to give this a negative rating but if you are the type of person who needs 5 or more sprays, you might like this if you only spray 2 or 3 times.

L'Aventurier's avatar
    L'Aventurier

Armani Privé Vétiver Babylone by Giorgio Armani

Creamy lemon over a thick and clean musk that can only be described as a green version of Bulgari pour Homme. I was actually surprised to find out this was created by Alberto Morillas and not Jacques Cavallier (the creator of Bulgari PH). Overall, Vetiver Babylone smells somewhat the way new clothes at the Gap smell, with a little bit of new car smell too, all wrapped up into a creamy, lemony fragrance with a huge dollop of clean musks and the tiniest dash of vetiver (it's barely even noticeable). The best parts are the fresh lemon opening and the musky green heart, while the drydown is a tad too sharp and synthetic while still maintaining it's creamy texture.

I can't help but agree with those who say this scent is underrated, but it's still not a masterpiece in my books. Vetiver Babylone just smells a little too generic and typical for something with a 125$ price tag. Either way, I do like it very, very much, I just won't be purchasing a bottle.

8.75/10

L'Origan by Coty

My mom loved this scent. When I was a boy I remember her wearing L'Origan to various functions. I guess she felt it "suited" the occasion. There is something about these old fragrances that can never be duplicated today. As I once said, old fragrances are like "comfort foods". They really do work in the same way but more important is the fact that they depict a particular era in history and of one's own life. Coty was the # 1 perfumer of inexpensive but quality fragrances throughout the world. These fragrances were innovative, feminine, and yes, in a "class" of there own !!

Émeraude by Coty

I remember my grandmother wearing this when I was a boy and teenager. It "suited" her so very well. Emeraude, Intimate, Arpege, and Chanel No5 were her "top 4" but Emeraude really graced her warm, kind character. To this very day (I'm 61 yrs old) I can still smell Emeraude when I think of my gradmother. Lovely!!

L'Aimant by Coty

This is a wonderful, old fragrance that no matter how much other companies have tried to duplicate, they just can't. It's soft, feminine and wonderful.

bbBD's avatar
    bbBD

Tao by Ava Luxe

Tao is essentially a straight-musk fragrance, and if you are anosmic to the musk Ava uses you may not smell all that much. I detect a couple different light musks with hints of sandalwood. I could swear there's a hint of vanilla in there as well, but that may the the floral notes or even the sweetness of the musks themselves. The musk(s) is very clean and mild, yet soothing.

In extrait form the Tao's sillage is very mild, but a small application easily lasted on my skin over 12 hours before I showered it off.

Aznavour's avatar
    Aznavour

Tuberose by Jo Malone

Fracas Lite, or Fracas minus the aldehydes. A less heady tuberose that's slightly more green. Longevity's pretty impressive for a Jo Malone, 5+ hours on me.

Aznavour's avatar
    Aznavour

Private Collection Jasmine White Moss by Estée Lauder

Not the best judge as all these oakmoss (or "oakmoss," I guess) centric fragrances smell really alike to me. The jasmine doesn't really register except maybe at the open, after which all I could do was compare it unfavorably to No. 19.

Worth a try, but probably not worth the price point. The detailing on the bottle is also not as good as the photos make it out to be.

Gucci pour Homme (original) by Gucci

One of the best I've had the pleasure of smelling. An uncle of mine had this back in the late eighties and I would steal a spray here and there. Always liked it. I had seen the prices it commands these days and thought I would never break down and actually buy a bottle, especially with the risk of a "turned" bottle. But sometimes things happen for the better..... I discovered a pretty damn good deal on ebay from an estate sale. I scooped up a 4oz for an unbelievable price. Upon first spray I realized how some scents are embedded in our memories forever. I've read countless reviews how people recite their memories being tied into the smell they remember or a certain scent. This smelled exactly as I remembered it and I was instantly brought back to a time when I was a kid and had no worries. Just trying to look cool and do what everyone else was doing. How times have changed. But this fragrance hasn't. Very dry from opening thoughout. Leather is evident from the begining, although restrained. The mix of mossy woods and the leather that I detect last for quite sometime. As Aromi states, it isn't the holy grail, but I wonder just how far it is from it. Thumbs way up. They just don't don't make em like this anymore.

Millésime Impérial by Creed

Normally with all the existing reviews I would refrain from adding my mondane 2 cents. However this is just that damn good. I don't get the "aquatic" vibe that many people allude to. I def get the melon/fresh vibe along with that amber/musk drydown. I also don't really get the Wall St connection. I would say Wall St is alot more like Erolfa (althoug I do agree that Erolfa and MI are similiar in some ways). Longevity is an issue, as with most of the modern Creeds. But hell, everything comes with a cost. This is damn good and I will always have a bottle in my wardrobe. The warm Florida climate that I call home demands such frags, and to me MI is the best.

Virgin Island Water by Creed

Unlike a lot of the newer Creeds this one lasts and lasts. Huge lime opening, among others. This is aquatic, but aquatic to the next level. This doesn't smell like the sea, it smells of the carribean. I smell this and remember all those times spent in those magestic islands drunk off my ass. Lime, coconut, and musk are the main players here, although the rum and sugar cane are noticeable. I don't wear it too often, but when I do I wonder why I don't. Lovely, but not "must have". I own a bottle but a 30ml decant would probably suffice.

Stargazer's avatar
    Stargazer
    Wales Wales

La Perla by La Perla

This is such a pretty perfume - reminds me of Cabochard, but with a lighter, brighter top note. Lasts really well.

egrorian's avatar
    egrorian
    Scotland Scotland

Rapport by Eden Classics

A hugely under rated fragrance and a class above all other "supermarket" frags. I used to wear it a lot almost 20 years ago and, even though I've discovered scores of new scents since, this remains amonst my favourites.

Granted, it's not an all time classic like Antaeus but if you get past the lack of "cool factor" you might well agree with my opinion that Rapport is better than a great many many designer frags.

Truffles's avatar
    Truffles

Nocturnes by Caron

I smelled a sample of this in the 80s and always remembered it for it's lovely 'grassiness'. I bought some recently by mail order (it's hard to get hold of by any other method) and on spraying recognised it pleasantly at once. The top notes are beautiful and remind me very much of the much missed original Armani for women perfume. However Nocturnes dries down to a horrible 'dirty wang' (to borrow the brilliant phrase that another Basenoter has used (why, why???!!) to describe Agent Provocateur) on me. There's a hint of something carnation or lily like there that just spoils it for me. I'm going to try wearing this perfume again once the weather turns really cold, it may work better then.

Neurotic Scientist's avatar
    Neurotic Scientist

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Take CK Be, add the citrus top from CK One, then add some additional depth and complexity, and you more or less get Green Irish Tweed. That was my impression after spraying and wearing for a few hours. I happen to actually like CK Be and CK One, so this turned out to be a very pleasing experience!

Loukhoum by Keiko Mecheri

Starts off with a weird singed note like burnt sugar + pipe tobacco, strongly felt under a light haze of powder. In retrospect, this was my favorite part of the ride. The powdery cloud unfurls, and for a while that strange dark bottom anchors it while some pretty rosy and nutty notes appear in glimpses through the fog. At this point I still like it, with reservations, but the powder keeps unfurling, getting pinker and pinker and sweeter and sweeter. At some point, it actually becomes embarrassing -- I wouldn't want anyone to think I chose to smell this way. In the morning, I still smelled powder and pinkness on the back of my hand where I had sampled. Not nice.

M1 Narcissus by CB I Hate Perfume

This is perhaps the most "perfumey" of the CB's I've tried. Very much a clean, white floral. Like many white florals, I really find it a bit too clean; it reminds me of nice floral soap, especially when I smell close to my skin. From a distance, however, it is more subtle and enjoyable. Unlike some from this line, it does have a bit of silage, and creates something almost like a soft little aura of freshness in the air around me. I barely know I'm smelling something, just that it is there. Nice effect.

Lavender Tea by CB I Hate Perfume

A very nice lavender at the start -- bright, fresh, and citrusy. I enjoy this (though it's nothing I haven't smelled before) but instead of evolving from here it just disappeared over the course of an hour or so. I tested it a few times with the same results. Too bad.

03 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 19 September, 2009)

Tea/Rose by CB I Hate Perfume

Hm. This was a non-starter for me. A nice-enough rosy/sour geranium top -- something like a very good geranium essential oil. Gets a little sourer and a little mustier and then vanishes completely. No tea. I guess I am one of those for whom many of the CB scents just don't last.

Patchouli Empire by CB I Hate Perfume

On me, the dominant note is cedar (stirring unfortunate associations with hamster cages and bug spray) with patchouli in a secondary role. The black pepper is also evident, making the whole mix even dryer. The second time I tested this, I did notice a sweet honey note that came and went and mitigated some of the dryness when it was present. Overall, this doesn't wow me. Maybe -- just maybe -- I might like it better on a guy.

Violet Empire by CB I Hate Perfume

My favorite of all the CB's I've tried so far. A rich, spicy, no-too-sweet violet from it's cool minty top to it's earthy leather base. So beautiful I find it hard to describe. Lovely, deep, and dark, at home on either sex.

Revelation by CB I Hate Perfume

A soft, warm fig scent. I like it a good deal, but had to apply nearly half of my 1ml sample before I could smell it. Longevity is only fair, and silage is practically non-existent. So for me, this is one of those you enjoy on your own by huffing your wrist throughout the day. Still, it's very pleasant for as long as it lasts. I'm going to give it a thumbs up, with reservations, because it's the first "fig" scent I've tried that actually smelled to me like figs.

Igorbg's avatar
    Igorbg
    Serbia Serbia

Fluid Man by Iceberg

Give this one a chance , yes it's cheap but not bad at all . I used it when I was younger and it is just perfect for ages around 20

Diamondflame's avatar
    Diamondflame
    Singapore Singapore

Infusion d'Homme by Prada

First impression: cheap soap, the kind you buy in long rectangular slabs. But if you can somehow get past the soapy accords, you may well notice something quite refined and understated about IdH. And the more wearing it gets the more it grows on you. IdH is so clean smelling you'd feel as though you've just stepped out of the shower, freshly scrubbed. I dare say it beats many gym scents out there simply by changing the rules of the game!

This is a scent that will no doubt polarize reviewers and for that I applaud Prada for the risky yet bold move. For me, the scent evokes memories of my childhood. I was 5 or 6 then and my mom was doing the laundry, scrubbing away at a washboard with a bar of coarse yellow soap. Nostalgia is rarely experienced these days; for a scent to evoke one from as far back as my early childhood, I must say "well done."

03 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 09 September, 2009)

HOTRODS BY JP's avatar
    HOTRODS BY JP

Baume Du Doge by Eau d'Italie

I JUST GOT MY FRAGRANCE TODAY AND I WANT THIS TO BE KNOWED, THIS WAS SAID TO HAVE THE SCENT OF CHRISTMAS, THIS IS WHAT I FEEL THIS SCENT IS JUST AWESOME THE SMELL IS NOTHING I HAVE SMELLED IN OTHER MENS FRAGRANCE, I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR A SCENT THAT HAD THE NOTES LIKE THIS ,I GUESS WHAT IM TRYING TO SHARE WITH YOU IS THE FRANKINCENSE,AND MYRHH IT ALSO HAVE OTHER NOTES THAT MAKE THIS SUCH AN UNUSUAL FRAGRANCE VERY MUCHO, I MEAN THIS IN A GREAT WAYNOTHING LIKE IT OUT THERE, YOU WILL NOT FIND THIS IN A DEPARTMENT STORE LIKE THE ONES WE ALL KNOW IM SO HAPPY THAT MY SEARCH FOR THE SCENTS THAT ARE NOTWHAT YOU FIND AT NORSTROMS, MACYS, OR EVEN NIMEN MARCUS, I HVE SPEND SO MUCH MONEY ON SCENTSONE THAT WHEN I GOT IT AT HOME I WOULD JUST END UP GIVEN THEM AWAY TO THE PEAPOLE WHERE I WORK AT ,SO FINDING LUCKYSCENTS ONLINE AND THEY HAVE SO MANY AWESOME MENS FRAGRANCES!!!! ,THIS IS ONE COLONGNE THAT WILL MAKE YOU SMELL SO GRAT THE PEAPOLE AROUND YOU WILL AND I MEAN THEY WILL ENJOY THE WAY YOU SMELL SO ,IF YOU LIKE BEING A PERSON THAT STANDS OUT THIS ONE IS A MUST HAVE SO ENJOY THE FINE SCENTS FRO LUCKYSCENTS ,ALSO THEY DO COST MORE THEN WHAT YOU MITE PAY AT MACYS OR NORSTROMS BUT YOU WILL SEE WHY THESE SCENT COST MORE ,AND YOU WILL BE SO HAPPY THAT YOU SPENT MORE FOR A SCENT THATS WORTH THE PRICE ,THANK YOU FOR LETTING ME SHRE THIS WITH YOU ALOHA FROM THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS , ALSO KNOWED AS PARADISE........................

Dorian Gray's avatar
    Dorian Gray

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

There's a slight spiciness to Obsession which I like and it is certainly better than most. However it smells like a good fragrance fighting to be smelt amid too many cheap ingredients. I like sweet, but this ones a bit cloying; it took a while to pinpoint what it resembled and then I realised: Talc. It smells like talcum powder.
    Ill give it a neutral though Im even tempted by a positive as it is probably better than most of the other CKs

TropiRock's avatar
    TropiRock

Caesars Man by Caesars World

This stuff is just plain yucky. Heavy, heavy, sickeningly sweet smell. For anyone old enough to remember the disco era, Caesars Man reminds me of the Larry-The-Lounge-Lizard guys who cruised local club scenes dressed like John Travolta in "Saturday Night Fever". Polyester leisure suit, huge collared shirt unbuttoned enough to show the hairy chest, and prerequisite swinging gold medallions. And cologne that would gag a horse. If that's your scene, then Caesars Man will probably be to your liking. But a little dab'll do ya, because the sillage spreads like a cloud from Chernobyl.

TropiRock's avatar
    TropiRock

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

Boy, oh boy - my first review and I have to be very neutral about this expensive fragrance. I would have given a thumbs down, but didn't want to be such a naysayer in my pilot review. So what to say? Although I have worn colognes for many, many years, I never gave much thought to individual notes of which the fragrance is comprised, but rather looked at the "big picture". I either like the smell or I don't. Tobacco Vanille, on my skin, is too sweet to be masculine. The combination of vanilla and tobacco definitely produces an odor reminiscent of vanilla-flavored tobaccos that were popular during the 80's. Maybe still, I don't know. After a few hours, the scent began to morph and started to remind me of some other familiar smell. Hmmm...let's see, what is it? Then it hit me: it smells like freshly prepared banana pudding! (For those of you who may not be familiar, banana pudding is a dessert staple in the southeastern U.S. and has a huge vanilla scent). Don't get me wrong, I love banana pudding, but I draw the line at smearing it on my body as a fragrance. I love a nice, juicy steak, too, but....well, you get the picture. Now if Tom Ford slapped a layer of meringue on top of that Tobacco Vanille, I might consider eating a bowlful. Oops - forgot about the price - better make that a spoonful. One more thing: this is definitely a long-lasting fragrance, but I wouldn't necessarily consider longevity to be a plus for this particular juice.

's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 2 Red: Carnation by Comme des Garçons

I like carnations and cloves so I find this to be very enjoyable to wear.

's avatar

Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I tried to wear this but it just never would work for me. I gave it to a friend and it smells amazing on him so at least it found a good home.