Fragrance Reviews from September 2009

blondex199667's avatar

New West for Him by Aramis

I just bought the relaunched New West last week. In Chicago, only Neiman-Marcus has it. It's pretty much the same as the original- an herbally/spicy/aquatic. It's still pretty unique. especially for a workplace-friendly fragrance. It's also relatively inexpensive at $48/3.4oz vapo. For sure worth checking out, and I agree, it's the kind of smell women really respond to.

djolney's avatar

Le Dix by Balenciaga

Le Dix is an elegant and charming fragrance.

I haven’t had the opportunity to sample a vintage version, but am perfectly happy to smell the current EdT formulation—which I would describe as being in soft focus.

I smell violets, aldehydes, green jasmine, iris, and what I think might be orange blossom. Le Dix settles down quickly and produces moderate sillage for around five hours. I don’t smell anything specific in the base (before it fades away) beyond some powderiness from the iris.

It has some similarities to Chanel’s No. 5, but is, to its credit, more interesting and less formal than No. 5.

As a huge violet fan (I regularly wear Green Irish Tweed and have a soft spot for Montale’s Louban) smelling Le Dix makes me smile. I would recommend Le Dix to any woman who likes violets and elegant fragrances.

adowds's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Eau de Patou (original) by Jean Patou

Brings together two of my favourite fragrances, Eau Sauvage and Dunhill for Men. Eau de Patou though has no Vetiver, minimal pepperiness, is much brighter, and for sure has more bitterness. This is a unisex and universal fragrance. It may be a bit too bright for some men so I think it might be a perfect candidate for a little bit of layering. Given its superb longevity Eau de Patou is a keeper in my books.

shamu1's avatar

"Vintage" Tabaróme by Creed

Tabarome is a very good tobacco fragrance, though I wouldn't sell my soul for it. It has a warm, woody, but a little musty-smelling, tobacco accord for the first two hours, which is pretty enjoyable, though nothing amazing. Although it's a masculine scent, unlike other reviewers I don't find Tabarome to be a bold scent at all; I find it warm, mild and rather "comfy" smelling, to put it bluntly. Like with Creed's Bois du Portugal, I find Tabarome to be very aristocratic and formal. This is no powerhouse, nor was it meant to be.

With regard to the actual tobacco accord, the smell reminds me more of unsmoked cigarette tobacco than pipe tobacco, i.e. a light tobacco scent. Being a former smoker I can say that there is a difference in smell between tobaccos used in cigarettes and that meant for pipes. What makes Tabarome for me is the drydown - by hour three, the tobacco accord turns sweet, making Tabarome smell almost like a tobacco-tinged oriental fragrance. It's very nice. Longevity is good for me too, about 6 to 8 hours.

Overall, I think Tabarome is quite good, and is one of Creed's better scents, but I don't think it lives up to all the hype and worship it gets (I think the whole hoopla by Creed about Winston Churchill wearing it is a bunch of baloney). If you love tobacco scents, then this is definitely worth seeking out if you can actually still find a bottle anymore.

shamu1's avatar

Cuba Red by Cuba Paris

Miss the fiery tobacco smell of Aramis' Havana? Then you have to score a bottle of Cuba Red, which is hands-down the bargain of the century. Although it lacks the complexity and longevity of Havana, it has the same vibe - it's a rich, spicy, slightly sweet, smokin' tobacco scent that has hot blood running through its veins. Whereas Creed's classic Tabarome brings to mind the image of an aristocrat somberly smoking a pipe in his personal library on a rainy day, Cuba Red brings to mind mariachi bands, tequila shots and loud partying and hell-raising in the night. Cuba Red just smells like Latin passion, raw and unbridled.

The most amazing thing is that can you get 1.1 oz. of this great juice in an incredibly cool, cigar-shaped bottle, for a mere four dollars!

Primrose's avatar

White Shoulders by Elizabeth Arden

I can't help but say nice things about White Shoulders. First off, my husband gave me a bottle as one of my wedding gifts. Why? It just so happened that *his* father presented a bottle to his mother as a wedding gift many years ago.

For me, it evokes feelings of warm weather and romance. Other scents' atttempts at this such as Maitresse by Agent Provateur come close, but this one draws me time and time again.

I enjoy florals, esp. white florals. I adore the strong scent of the heady gardenia and jasmine, touched with rose. It is warm and very elegant with classic charm.

auee's avatar

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

One of the more interesting aspects of fragrances is that the same scent can both smell differently to different people and smell differently on the skin of different people. On me, there is only a very modest amount of sweetness, but strong spice and wood notes. There is nothing feminine about this scent on my skin. The dry down is progressive and one is ultimately left with a dry, warm spiced wood fragrance. I am firmly on the side of those who get great enjoyment from wearing B Men. The sillage and longevity are top notch. At its discounted price, it is one of the great buys in men's fragrances and I am getting a second bottle as it is now discontinued and I want to be able to wear B Men for years to come.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

A victim of hype through no fault of its own. The heart of the scent is all creamy vanilla and a sprinkle of cinnamon, with a powdery feel that is reminiscent of opoponax in Shalimar. To me MUSC RAVAGEUR is rather gourmand-esque if it isn't for the animalic, rather dirty note that I presume to be a deftly rendered musk. However it is notoriously elusive. And oddly enough, despite being a denser element the musk is more noticeable in the opening minutes yet somehow pulls a disappearing act thereafter. Musk lovers will no doubt find this disappointing but it is the fleeting nature of the musk that makes this more wearable (read: unisex). And if what I hear is true, the musky note retains a subtle presence in the sillage even if it seems odorless to the wearer. Just don't expect Musc Ravageur to be the sexy beast the name suggests when its charm is closer to that of a cute pussycat.

*** this review is for Musc Ravageur Oil ***

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Jubilation XXV by Amouage

JUBILATION XXV pops open with a fizz, much like uncorking a bottle of fine wine. If that carbonated whiff is the work of Iso E Super then I'm thankful it doesn't stick around - it smells too synthetic. Anyway, the rummy yet dry opening swiftly recedes to herald the arrival of a sumptuous if not opulent blend of dried fruit and spices amidst smoky incense and resinuous woods. But wait - haven't I smelled this before? You bet. By Kilian's Straight To Heaven is another similar equally potent take on the celebratory toast and was released in that same year. Coincidence? Perhaps. But I figured Bertrand Duchaufour and Sidonie Lancesseur had probably met and given each other a toast in celebration of their next pricey creation. "Here's to extravagance and credit card debts. Salut!"

cheekyhamsta's avatar

Baldessarini Del Mar by Baldessarini

I found this to be a totally inoffensive but ultimately boring fragrance, with lamentable sillage and suspect longevity to boot. One of its few redeeming features is its beautifully heavy lead crystal-like bottle, which by the way might also be deemed pretentious given the averageness of the scent inside. Not recommended.

28 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 20th March, 2010)

chamelion's avatar

Beverly Hills Polo Club by Beverly Hills Polo Club

excellent fresh scent i just bought a 3 ounce bottle for 15 and thats a plus 4 me!! great smell of polo sport, polo blue and cool water edge very fresh smelling and a must have

djAndarial's avatar

Nautica Oceans by Nautica

I tried this, stayed close tot he skin, very nice but to get the silage I like I would have had to use 4 spritz's of product. I live in a 90-100F+ climate and even with heat on skin the silage was not excellent... The fragrance was refreshing, very aquatic, with a hint of ozone? some people commented I smelt like a fresco

Freddddy's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

Emporio Armani Night He by Giorgio Armani

Very good fragrance, similar to Emporio He. But like Emporio He and this one last very little to me. For the first 2-3 hours excellent but after that....

leon clay's avatar

Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

I have recently purchased my new Guerlain fragrance from beauty-enhancement.com. I have found it difficult to track down Guerlain - but this online shop in the UK has all the latest range and its super quick shipping. www.beauty-enhancement.com

Jackisblack's avatar

Old Spice by Procter & Gamble

Nice. an old classic. Also my entrance into the fragrance world. I will always have a soft spot for this one. Started using this about freshman year and it always got a lot of compliments. A few people would complain of it being a bit cloying, but I don't see it. Spicy little number. It smells like a mix of fresh apples and spice. Decent sillage, etc. Not a bad smell especially considering the price. Can't go wrong.

boytwoboy's avatar

Only The Brave by Diesel

Truly horrible stuff. Marketed for young kids who have no sense of style or what smells good. If worn on someone, I'd probably disown them as a friend. Its a 95 dollar bottle of Axe deodorant.

Blu pour Homme by Bulgari

You smell very clean and fresh, the first 20-30 mins, I don't like it, but just wait for the dry down, you'll be rewarded.

28 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th October, 2009)

Obsession Night for Men by Calvin Klein

I agree that most of CK Fragrances simply suck, but this is a good perfume, it's simply unique, when I smell it I feel like i'm on another planet from a dark universe wearing an elegant black suit surrounded by mist while experiencing an overwhelming marijuana high. Heck it sounds weird but I really enjoy it's way to drive you into an obsession.

Bulgari pour Homme Soir by Bulgari

This is a very good perfume for the elegant, rich, mysterious and respectful man. It has a very clean smell and lasts long enough.

aniek's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Magnetism by Escada

I really really love this perfume. It is the only one that I am using and enjoying for years. Most perfumes get boring after one bottle, but Magnetism doesn't. Anytime I am wearing it I get great comments. People tell me it I smell great and ask me which perfume I am wearing. Eventough it is smelling kind of sweet, it isn't a typical sweet smell. It is oriental and wonderful!

aniek's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

CK In 2U Her by Calvin Klein

I was looking for a fresh sunny fragrance. Most 'fresh' fragrances turned really naudeatingly sweet on me. This perfume is also sweet, but still a fresh, young and nice smell. It is a good scent for the summer, because the smell gets better if your skin is warm from the sun. The smell has a bit of citrus and vanilla.

Pollux's avatar

Argentina Argentina

One Man Show by Jacques Bogart

A very loud, screaming, hiperbolic, far from subdued, ungentlemanly, unpolitically correct aromatic fougere. Do I like this? I have to admit, it is very original. And, as a matter of fact, when wearing it I have the feeling that if it were sold under a global fashion designer brand name with stores in high-end neighbourhoods of global cities, many BNoters would be craving for this one. But no, it is inexpensive and as previously stated, a very common fragrance back in the 1980's. Of course, rest assure, it is not your run-of-the-mill / metrosexual scent.

There is bergamot in the top notes, but contrary to what was in style back in the 1990's, its presence is quite opaque. Thus, the basil and galbanum are very notorious. Rosewood works as an introductory note to the middle notes, where insence makes it debut. Yes, it is floral but the spicyness is what I enjoy the most, to some extent this mixture of floral and spicy notes has an analogous effect to that of a mint or menthol talcum powder. The overall feeling of the drydown is very good; even though I can't detect prominent woody accords, there are some analogous notes surrounded by a sweet context, later morphing into notes recalling hesperidic and aniseed accords.

A "hate it or love it" scent. Try before buying.

Edit: According to Fragantica, it was created by Roger Pellegrino, who also blended Armani Eau pour Homme and Rocha's Macassar. According to the country origins of reviewers, I can conclude it is a very popular global brand. As per Argentina, you can actually smell it on many men while in public venues. So, basically, this is a very successful global brand being marketed without massive advertising campaigns, the way most global brands are. I guess this is because of the blend's quality and its very convenient price.

28 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 19 July, 2011)

DreamerII's avatar

Lithuania Lithuania

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

Tobacco vanille is everything I want a perfect scent to be - warm, deep, thick, cozy, natural smelling, perfectly blended, emotional, mysterious.

manicboy's avatar

Must de Cartier pour Homme by Cartier

I have no idea what “Must” means in French, but do the following English phrases “must try” or “must buy” apply here? The opening is captivating – laidback grapefruit surrounded by delicate anise. If I lost you at anise, don’t worry as this is not of the black-licorice variety. It’s subtle and goes a long way with the grapefruit. To my nose, grapefruit goes hand-in-glove with anise (check out Eau de Badian & Live Jazz) to produce a heavenly accord. The top notes fade gently into the midnotes which again produce another hand-in-glove accord of cinnamon & ginger (check out Gucci Envy for Men & Richard James). So far, it’s been a beautiful and fulfilling progression with graceful turns and pirouettes. Unfortunately, the ballet dancer begins to stumble as the weak basenotes kick in or should I say crawl in. Osmoz says there are patchouli, vetiver, tonka, and sandalwood, but all I smell are light traces of vanilla. Its delicate structure could only keep together for so long until it begins to fall apart due to fatigue. Fortunately, Cartier recognized this too and came out with a stronger and better balanced version (L’Essence Must de Cartier PH). So, is Must PH worth trying and owning? Yes, emphatically so as the top and midnotes demonstrate its subtle and graceful beauty and do more in their two rounds than 99% of frags do in two rounds. It also fills a void of a nice, light oriental that wears well in warmer weather. Just don’t go into it expecting more than that and you’ll be fine.

ZZTop - Bayern Munich would never fall to pieces against Barca!!!

neal's avatar

Oxford & Cambridge by Czech & Speake

Oxford, Cambridge, Eton or Westminster - this Czech & Speake shouts privilege, academia and refinement. What a unique classic.

carlos-uk's avatar

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

I like this one. It's actually a relatively new addition for me but it's kinda nice. Reminds me of the now discontinued Dolce & Gabanna 'By Man' in some ways.

I tended to avoid a lot of the main streamers in the 90's so for me, a lot of these are new territory. This isn't a remarkable, stunning scent but it has got some richness and a kind of sophisticated aspect to it and that's fine by me. Again, if you over apply it's going to piss people off but I think gently sitting in the background, this is perfectly charming. It could be worse. It could be CK1.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

D&G Masculine by Dolce & Gabbana

Yep, lemon. But then it turns into one of the CK One types (Azzaro Chrome and Paco Rabanne paco comes to mind). I can see why people think thi sis bland, but pretty much all of D&G's first offerings stay the same (almost) from top to bottom. Worth the buy? Depends: Do you like lemon cleaner?

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

D&G La Roue de la Fortune 10 by Dolce & Gabbana

Vanilla, a lot of vanilla and spice. Unisex? Too feminine IMO. It's not bad, but it is def not good. Nothing to desire, really. You need the right skin chemostry to pull tihs off, which means probably only 1 of 7 frag heads would delight in this. Notfor me.

odysseusm's avatar

Afire by Neil Morris Fragrances

This is one of more odious scrubbers I’ve come across recently. Buttery caramel-vanilla notes dominate, in fact that’s all I get from beginning to end. A very sweet, persistent, cloying candy smell. Bleccch! Where’s the wood and frankincense? I don’t like it on me, I wouldn’t like it on anyone else.

Sugandaraja's avatar

Perles de Lalique by Lalique

A fruity, transparent rose is joined by distinct notes of pepper, vetiver, iris, and patchouli.

Sweet, yet somehow reserved; cool, despite the oriental accord. It's classy; undeniably modern, but not at all my style.