Fragrance Reviews from September 2009

Sugandaraja's avatar
    Sugandaraja

Velvet Rose by Sonoma Scent Studio

Of all the rose fragrances I've tried - and I've gone through dozens - this has been the most impressively real and rosy. A couple sprays and one feels encased in a million rose petals.

The effect is gorgeous and a little overwhelming. There is absolutely nothing subtle about the rose in Velvet Rose.

Most of the body of this fragrance is taken up by this massive rose note. In the top notes it's a fresh, living rose; in the heart it morphs into a faintly soapy, but still very natural rose, smelling like a rich, high-quality rose water. Deep into the base the rose finally gives up the ghost, and its voluminous sillage fades to a faint, skin-scent musk.

Simple, yet lovely. For lovers of roses only.

Samsara by Guerlain

This feedback is for the Parfum concentration - Samsara in it's parfum concentration is extremely creamy and powdery with the Iris and vanilla pods immediately kicking in full bloom with a lovely accord of florals and some that smells like Rosewood. it very easily reminds me of Parfumerie Generales Cadjmere (the rosewood and cocunutty vibe) although here it's much more opulent, creamy and thick. i havent tested the EDP or EDT, but i can strongly recommend Samsara in it's parfum concentration, it's pure delight.

Ho Hang by Balenciaga

It will get that, hmm, i have smelled this accord a thousand times by now accord. has a very lively, lemony, spicy/herbal accord (think PDN NY, Eau Suavage). Lemon and hints of orange come of pretty easily. but it doesnt turn orangy, the mood is still very lemony with a woody accord of spices and flroals. i mainly smell geranium with a woody twist. basenotes gets a bitter sweeter and powdery with vanilla and incense. overall, if you appreciate scents like R de Capucci, PDN New York et al, thn this will find home with you almost immediately.

Monsieur Rochas by Rochas

this feedback is for the *vintage* Eau de Colonge version. wld mint levea crushed with hints of eucalyptus done in a oriental setup. it doesnt come across as an Habit Rouge EdC which is considerably potent compared to this. saying that, Monsieur rochas is not tame. it's sheer, light, suave and classy all the way. is dry and sweet at the same time with hints of vetiver and white florals beautifully blended with a lively accord of spices, carnation and incense. the base notes stay close to skin with lovely whiffs every now and then.
    It's no head turner. it's what someone with touch of class would wear to add to his mystique.

29 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 04 October, 2009)

Un Homme by Charles Jourdan

the comparison with De La Renta Pour Lui (Vintage) is very apt. in that, this has a very prominent accord of lavender (the use of lavender also reminds me of Lutens Gris clair). it almost has a wax like accord to it. this one stays on pretty powdery with a leathery accord running thru it. i would also lik to believe thats actual Oakmoss i'm smelling. gives off a pretty smooth and rounded effect along with the ambery goodness. the mood is definitely on the darker side.

Worth1969's avatar
    Worth1969

Royal Copenhagen Musk by Royal Copenhagen

I remember wearing this as a winter fragrance back in the late 80's (that's when I discovered it). As i recall, the original version was a viril, yet sensous musk with great longevity and warmth. The five star fragrance company has since taken over and pretty much ruined the scent. I purchased it recently without trying it first and, suffice it to say, was deeply disappointed with the results. This now smells like an outdated drug store musk with a funky, murky quality that resembles rotten fruit. From now on, when purchasing an older scent I'm going to insist on trying it on my skin first. Five Star fragrances??
    Are you kidding me?!!!

thumbs up for the original version.
    Thumbs way down for the remake!

ludwigslady's avatar
    ludwigslady

Vintage Naturals 2009 Geranium by Demeter Fragrance Library

I grow scented geraniums among my roses to ward off fungal diseases. They also help cover the the bases of my rose bushes with their dense growth of texured leaves. I pluck leaves and rub them between my hands to get that gorgeous tonic fragrance boost.

Now there is Vintage Naturals Geranium. It starts off strong and settles into a lemon geranium scent. It morphs into a rosy geranium and then mellows to a true geranium. There are many different geranium plants from apple, mint, even chocolate for the garden. Demeter has designed this fragrance to grab the three nicest ones as I described. It also does an excellent job of being a natural perfume while still having the refinement of 'normal' perfume.

Please try this. If you have a garden and love your old-fashioned geraniums, I think you really will enjoy this.

Henry Cotton's in Red by Henry Cotton's

This is the clean and soapy of the line. Basic lavender and moss scent. Terrible longevity but still smells great.

Aegean by Neil Morris Fragrances

I find it difficult to talk about this scent. It's nice at first but turns really sour on me. A little floral and musk but I get nothing else.

Clear by Neil Morris Fragrances

With all due respect, Clear is a floral grapefruit that's as interesting as a Glade scented airfreshener. Use this fragrance as such. Doesn't agree with my body.

Seducteur by Martine Micallef

At first I had no idea what to make of this. A minty piney scent? A powdery musky woods? Both? This, oddly, is Polo Crest + Cartier Declaraion plus a light Lutens base. The deep musky woods is what gets me loving it BUT the dusty, earthy sweetness puts me off a bit. I guess I'm not a fan of honey. So from the top down I got cool spices (mint and herbs), woods and then earthy, pine and honey and... maybe some leather. Very unique and strange. I don't absolutely love it but I highly recommend everyone to try it out. As of this writing, a bottle of Le Seducteur is $230 for 100ml and is backordered already.

Tony T's avatar
    Tony T

Cuba Red by Cuba Paris

this is dunhill desire rebottled. or a smoky chanel's allure. this was out before london guys.

Aquil's avatar
    Aquil

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

Great stuff ! A much more interesting fragrance than A men. I love this on windy days...

glitteralex's avatar
    glitteralex

Alexandra by Alexandra de Markoff

Fragrantica lists the notes as follows: Top notes are south african sage and italian iris; middle notes are french narcissus, jasmine and moroccan rose; base notes are singapore patchouli, sandalwood and vetiver. Fabulous Fragrances II by Jan Moran lists the Top Notes as Marigold and Iris, and includes Civet in the Base

This is a perfume that goes straight to the heart-literally. It possesses none of the usual Top Notes that bring an airy, bright note to a perfume. It is a beautiful and boozy blend of deep florals and spice. I do imagine there is Marigold, as the perfume has a spicy note throughout that is very pervasive and tingly. I also suspect there may be neroli oil in there somewhere. The Rose is most certainly Damascean, as it is deep and warm. Jasmine provides a syrupy sweet quality, all of which is mounted atop a predominantly Patchouli and Sandalwood Base. The resinous Patchouli continues the hard-driving nature of this scent into the drydown, but it is tempered by the soft round incense of the Sandalwood. There also seems to be some Vanilla in the base, but the Vetiver is nowhere to be seen, likely overwhelmed by the other power-notes. I imagine without it, though, the drydown would seem almost too hippie for modern taste.

A very grownup and wintery perfume. It wears very well and remains strong even in this cold, arid climate. Nicely done, with good balance and a compelling composition. Very daring to use the difficult marigold and the temperamental Narcissus in one perfume

Sélection Verte by Creed

Very, very nice. Selection Verte may not seem very original or unique but it is such a pleasant fragrance. On examination of all the previous reviews, non-'Thumbs Up' reviewers each have their different gripes, but I notice that none actually disliked the smell.... this is not a surprise. I myself have no problems with the longevity, 6 hours of soft citrus and fresh mint goodness.

I've had a bottle of 'Roger & Gallet - Extra Vielle' for quite some time now and it has been one of my favourite summer scents. The moment I tried Selection Verte recently I thought "My God this is identical to Extra Vielle". So the next day I decided to wear the two on either arm. Side by side the Creed is head and shoulders above the Extra Vielle, brighter, better longevity, cleaner and just plainly of a higher quality. The Creed remains bright and fresh throughout (with the help of the mint) whereas the Extra Vielle takes on a rather stale/musty direction 2 to 3 hours in. There is no denying the two are 90% the same, but with the Creed being 21 years the senior makes the EV into the blatant copy. Roger & Gallet's offering represents much better value for money though.

Wild Fern by Geo F Trumper

Fiercely bitter and unapologetically green, Wild Fern demands to be noticed. Unlike some others I don't get any sweetness or fragrant herbs, I also don't get the impression of the countryside (in the sense of rolling meadows). I know it sounds very specific but I have the image of being in a hillside forest that sees a lot of rainfall. Wild Fern also has quite a soapiness to it, and whilst it's densely green if I hold my nose close to my skin for long enough there is a freshness that comes through, not lemon but something equally bright and tart. So finally I have to say I like Wild Fern, I like it a lot.

Monk by Michael Storer

EDP formulation.

Monk is an odd fragrance, I know I'm smelling cocoa butter but yet it doesn't conjure up feminine associations. Though the smokiness is difficult to discern there's just enough there to mould the cocoa butter in a masculine smell. Within an hour vanilla starts to dominate and I'm afraid vanilla is just not my thing.

When all is said and done my wife likes this, and because I don’t dislike it and as I'm a bit of a tart I'd wear this just to impress her. A 'Thumbs Up' but barely.

Cologne by Roger & Gallet

For just shy on 3 hours this is one of my favourite summer fragrances. It's instantly pleasant on application, a light and not too tart citrus with a touch of fresh mint and sweet pea. But by the time it's been on for 3 hours a stale/musty note comes into play. That note lingers on until the very end. I would really have preferred Extra Vielle to remain fresh throughout but alas no. Thankfully the note isn't so strong as to ruin the fragrance for me.

I can't tell you for sure whether it's worth the upgrade but Selection Verte by Creed is everything that I would have hoped for in EV. Extra Vielle is on the better side of a neutral review but the fact that it's so easy to get it cheap just nudges it to a Thumbs Up

Zgb's avatar
    Zgb
    Croatia Croatia

Infusion d'Homme by Prada

Well, not atrocious, but soap? Yes, soap! Cloying? Yes! Needless to say, not quite much worth of money.

Keene's avatar
    Keene

Hugo XX by Hugo Boss

I'm not too terribly good at disecting the different smells in perfumes, but I enjoy them regardless. This one is definitely a younger, sweeter scent. It is something I wear in the evening, especially when I'm going out dressed up in more than just jeans and a t-shirt. It is a little strong, so I wouldn't recommend it when you know you're going to be sweating or when you'll be locked in a car a few minutes after application. It needs about fifteen to twenty minutes to calm down enough for small spaces. Also, unlike foetidus, who has also reviewed this, I don't notice a strong alcohol scent.

cK be by Calvin Klein

cloying synthetic mess that does not last more than 2 hours definately a gimmick and played out

Cool Water by Davidoff

cool water is a total classic and it opened new areas when it first came out, but now its 2009 and EVERYONES smelled it ten thousand times and it comes off as synthetic and its kinda out of trend but will always be a classic.

take my advise and get this, cool water game or cool water frozen there the only good versions of CW

Polo by Ralph Lauren

an obnotxiously overpowering and nauseating scent with a bitter repulsive smell

Enemy / Ennemi by Nickel

ive never smelled anything so vile and bland in my entire life this stuff is total garbage

Cool Water Sun, Sea and Surf by Davidoff

its a much fresher version of the original but the originals fresh enugh this is much more potent and overpowering and the salt smell is unnecessary but the ocean breezes are nice

Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

a disaster polo black is a bland forgettable scent and the worst of the RL scents IMO they totally nose dived on this one

Allure Homme Sport Cologne by Chanel

its a woodsy floral musk citrus with a great edge and very hip and fresh for a younger crowd

definately the king of sporty scents

Gucci by Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

excellent modern woodsy chypre i cannot describe how bold and rich the notes in this one are its totally out of this world

gucci really makes great fragrances and after smelling this, gucci and gucci 2 i am excited to see what they come up with next

as for the scent its a very woodsy chypre with a good edge that makes it perfect to wear all round, when this stuff actually dries down it becomes incredibly sexy and hip with a very masculine edge

29 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th December, 2009)

Jackisblack's avatar
    Jackisblack

Axe Kilo by Axe / Lynx

This stuff smells good. just plain good. I always have a can of this on reserve for those occassions that just need a bodyspray or when i dont feel like impressing. For the price, this stuff can compete with some designer frags. This is a good entry level gourmand in my opinion.

Jackisblack's avatar
    Jackisblack

Axe Dark Temptation / Lynx Dark Temptation by Axe / Lynx

Kahuna, sorry but I must respectfully dissagree with you on some points. While I do agree it does get chemical fast, I wouldn't classify it as a "mess." The scent was also designed by Anne Gottlieb. While I'm not crazy about her work with CK (other than One), I have to respect that she did a good job on making this one, and furthermore the fact that Axe is getting serious about producing a decent product. Not bad and I don't think 5 of 6 bucks is too bad of a price for this.