Fragrance Reviews from September 2009

Jackisblack's avatar

Axe Fever / Lynx Fever by Axe / Lynx

Warning: Highly Synthetic.

Does that mean it's bad? Heeeeell no! It smells of a delicious and deep orange/grapefruit mix. This actually gets me a LOT more compliments than some of the expensive scents i wear. The girl I liked (and who liked me) this summer complimented me on this. I personally am not OVERLY crazy about this and it can be headache inducing, but it's a good option! A must buy. If not this, at least get the shower gel. I'm all out so I use Irish Spring now, but that stuff smelled great!

Jackisblack's avatar

Axe Instinct / Lynx Instinct by Axe / Lynx

Not really very good at all. Not even for a bodyspray. Axe has much better offerings. TRUST ME. Starts out with a citrus/rubbing alcohol open that just drys into a public bathroom soap smell. Steer clear from this.

annalyssa's avatar

Chinatown by Bond No. 9

This is the scent that made me love fragrance. I bought it "by accident" while on a trip to Milan several years ago and never looked back.
    To me, it smells exotic with a sense of humor. I think that's the combination of incense and fruit, slightly rotting but in a good way, in an overripe super-sweet way.
    Chinatown makes me instantly happy and gives me a sense of being mysterious.... lasts all day and I swear I've seen men swoon.
    This was worth every cent.

annalyssa's avatar

Lalique Le Parfum by Lalique

I think this is just delicious.
    The drydown is warm and sweet and perfect for this time of year when the leaves are changing color and the days are getting shorter.
    After an hour it's just about melted into my skin creating a sort of olfactory glow...

I don't think I'd wear it every day (certainly not in the summer) because it can get a little much and the top notes are a wee bit cloying. But for cool weather when all is grey, this one is like having a brandy at a ritzy low-lit bar while the leaves (or the snowflakes as the case may be) swirl around outside.

The bottle is a thing of beauty not only for its heft and the regal little red tassles, but the spray mechanism is the most perfect I've ever had the joy of using.

trapper's avatar

Romania Romania

Aqua pour Homme Marine by Bulgari

How can't you like this perfume? It's fresh and it's sweet, it's long-lasting and the smell is great and intriguing.

Chlyo's avatar

L'Eau Ambrée by Prada

This scent initially reminded me of Johnson's Baby Shampoo. After a couple of hours I noticed I developed a slight sinus headache and the Johnson's Baby Shampoo dyed down to a scent reminiscent of white Hello Kitty erasers. Then it fell off a cliff, after about 4 or 5 hours it was like I had nothing on, which wasn't a bad thing considering I did not like this scent.

Londonsurrealist's avatar

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

I have to say that M7 is probably my favourite scent. I can quite understand those who dislike it, it is that very personal matter of chemistry , the way the perfume reacts on anybody's skin. On me it works very well and all those things that people talk about, chemical or cough medicine smells, quickly vanish and something rather mysterious takes their place.

My girlfriend says it smells of me, but it it a sort of ideal me, the me I'd like to be, slightly younger, slimmer, taller and more self-assured! Somehow it is the agarwood that does it and that is, no doubt, what makes people love it or hate it.

honeyb's avatar

Fancy by Jessica Simpson

i just bought this and i love it! At first it seems a little sweet when i first applied it, but the dry down is softer to me with lots of caramel and vanilla.If i find another one for $20 at TJMAX, i'm going to grab it! By the way, does anyone think this smells similar to Burberry Brit when it dries down? I sprayed my wrists with both and and a few hours later they smelled similar.

LiveJazz's avatar

Tom Ford for Men by Tom Ford

I am shocked that Tom Ford for Men is so unpopular here! To me, this is almost the perfect understated winter workhorse.

It opens with a nice, bracing bouquet of dry citrus and spices. There is no sweetness in the citrus at all: it is a very manly opening. Soon after, the citrus fades I get a slightly green but mostly peppery patchouli accord. Mossy woods and tobacco gradually enter the equation and soon we have a nearly perfect masculine base.

The evolution is steady and fluid. Tom Ford for Men is one of those scents that is blended so well that the evolution is difficult to track in terms of distinct phases. It just morphs and evolves as the notes fade in and out. There is nothing synthetic or cloying or obnoxious about it.

It lasts well over 12 hours on me, but stays close to the skin. I feel good in it, and people like it. There are no standout notes, but that is not a requirement for me. It is a standout in that it smells great.

evinick's avatar

Greece Greece

L'Ombre dans L'Eau by Diptyque

Unique opening. Red fruits marmalade still bubbling in the pot, with a touch of white rose petals and a hint of sweet citrus (similar to the one that opens OYEDO). Very sweet and intense feminine mid notes where the Bulgarian rose leads the way to the woods of the base. Great Longevity. Not a mainstream but worth at least a try.

evinick's avatar

Greece Greece

Armani Privé Cuir Améthyste by Giorgio Armani

Cuir indeed. It’s not the harsh, vintage leather jacket of Cuiron, or that English Leather note of JC’s Old English but the refined and subtle suede note of an expensive pair of gloves. Amethyste of course. No other scent has ever described so accurately the color of this gem. Impressive floral (rose) and spicy (coriander) opening. Warm and sweet heart with purple violets and a soft leather note from the birch, smoky but not offensive. Rich powdery base that stays close to the skin for long. Warm, sensual and mysterious but if you don’t like the violet note , don’t even try this.

dickjones's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Animale Animale for Men by Animale Parfums

I had first Animale Animale since 3 years ago, now I own A*Men..just bought because the hype and the similarities people said here.
    But Animale Animale is MUCH better than A*Men..
    Fruity opening notes and much more subtle base notes..

I could not understand why A*Men has all that positives, maybe is a scent for the other people feel, not for self enjoyment.

Thumbs UP for this cheap and very nice and simple gourmand scent.

hugh's avatar

Sables by Annick Goutal

I don't often wear this but when I have I've received compliments. Remember that a given scent reacts differently with each one's body chemistry when applied to the skin and that's when the magic happens (hopefully not a rash). Always try a little sample first--maybe several times to see what happens with you.

Sables is tenacious as some have mentioned. I can understand how some smell too much maple syrup, however I find the overall presentation is so dry and filled with other unusual components that it doesn't seem food-y to me. In fact, I don't like gourmands. Yes this has some sweetness but not the cloying cheap candy kind. This sweetness is more like a very fine expensive brandy.

There is a great opulent depth to Sables. It makes me feel rich and uplifted. Old world gentlemen's parlor met with a bohemian sensuality and a little bit of dirt to keep it humble. Joyfulness, a little quirkiness and some mystery and darkness come out of that little square bottle. If it were a film it might be Bergman's "Fanny and Alexander". An exotic and rare bouquet that radiates from the wearer but is kept in check with a kind of formality--a "statement" but a seductive and sophisticated one. And it's not for everyone. Thank God.

silk4ever's avatar

Love and Luck for Men by Ed Hardy [Christian Audigier]

I am glad that I was not the only one who was thinking Unforgivable when smelling this scent. I have smelled SWM and Love & Luck does have that same "fresh" note that is at the core of a few Creed scents. I like Unforgivable and this seems to have longer longevity so I have no choice but to give it a thumbs up.

Sugandaraja's avatar

Dans Tes Bras by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Well, it's certainly different, but in this case, that doesn't mean good.

The top notes are sweet and powdery, yet have both a distinct button mushroom accord as well as something redolent of melted plastic. It dries down to something similar, but more soapy and floral. I do not smell violets.

It's quiet, but lasts decently.

It's really not horribly gross or offensive, it's just a smell I don't want on me. I do expect better from a Malle.

derekp's avatar

Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I'm thoroughly enjoying my sample of VE. Less soapy than Creed's, no citrus sharpness like Guerlain's. And while I do enjoy both others, this one takes their place as my favourite Vetiver. It stays green throughout, with nutty and smoky elements emerging once it dries. It's lasted 8 enjoyable hours on my skin, and counting.

derekp's avatar

Ivy League by Domenico Caraceni

This one was pretty linear on me.....fresh, clean citrus, somewhat green. The citrus in the top notes really sticks around on my skin overpowering the other notes for nearly the duration. Not a bad thing, because it's smooth. Thumbs up, but not really my style.

Bowling Green by Geoffrey Beene

Love the opening of amazing lemon and soapy lavender. It just feels great and wonderful to wear. The rest kinda peters out but lingers for quite sometime. I like the seamless transition from citrus top, green middle to the soapy mossy drydown. This is something to put on in the morning to wake up. Very energetic and I like it.

L'Eau by Diptyque

Augh. I put this on thinking it would be a regular l'eau something or other. Freaking clove bomb. It's like I went to the Willy Wonka Factory, ate some clove candy and turned into a clove.

Honoré's Trip by Honoré de Prés

Burst of bitter citrus in the beginning like grapefruit, then a little peppery musk. Then nothing.

moltening's avatar

Thailand Thailand

Tom of Finland by Etat Libre d'Orange

The other reviews have been a great and interesting read, ranging from condoms to coconuts to homo-eroticism, so here's my ultra-dull concise input for a change:

Take safraleine, the leathery-saffron aromachemical, blend it with some iris, add a tiny bit of lemon plus the "ghost of a traditional cologne," dump in some fatty aldehydes -- and you get Tom of Finland. Soft, but excellent longevity. A genius vibrant second-skin scent.

30th September, 2009 (Last Edited: 07 October, 2009)

Bigsly's avatar

Présence d'Une Femme by Montblanc

There's something in here that provides a kind of herbal edge. Is it the cyclamen? I don't know what that smells like. It's not sickly sweet and the pineapple leaves may be what's creating this interesting "edge" to this fragrance. Otherwise, no note "sticks out" and it's nicely balanced. The vanilla comes across to me more as tonka, because it's a little chalky and not very sweet, nor gourmand. The only reason not to like this one is if you want a fragrance with more articulated notes. This is more of a nice blend. It comes across a little heavy (it's not a "transparent" fragrance) but not to the point of being irritating at all. I'd call it "unisex," especially if you like Le Male and similar "men's" fragrances.

tanto's avatar

Tabu by Dana

Gosh, so many people dislike this fragrance and I feel the total opposite. Whenever I smell this on a woman I find it to be sexy and mysterious. I guess it needs to be applied in moderation in order for it to do the "trick". I can see how too much would be overbearing. You need to be a dark haired woman in order to pull this fragrnce off well.

the_tourist's avatar

Cyprès-Musc by Creed

Short-lived, astringent lemon and pine give way to luxurious urinal cakes. Maybe I'm just not getting the era from which this originates, but this was a total scrubber on my skin.

the_tourist's avatar

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

Complex and intoxicating, this is reminiscent of the smell that lingers on your clothes after an evening spent in front of a campfire. The sweet mandarin is present at the beginning, but not at all overbearing, and blends well with the warm spice and woods. Unfortunately I can only smell DE on my skin for the first 30-45 minutes before I become anosmic to it (I have the same problem with other frags containing high amounts of Iso E Super), but others can smell it on my skin and clothes hours later. Two thumbs way up...

AnimaSola's avatar

Gigli Man by Romeo Gigli

This is what Agua Fresca tried to capture, but didn't exactly pinpoint. It does not have the medicinal aspect that makes Dominguez's fragrance a bit off-putting. This is an understated late summer/autumnal beauty that manages to be strikingly unassertive. Please pardon the oxymoron. Its fresh and herbal bouquet is unusual and appealing. I haven't had the chance to wear this in public, but the dry down and sillage are lovely and promising, as far as I can tell. I love Romeo Gigli's original fragrance, but this is more practical, attractive, and not so overbearing. This is a fragrance for many occasions, save for the very formal event. I love it!

AnimaSola's avatar

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

I do not have this fragrance yet, but I have tried it on in department stores on a couple of occasions. It is a heavenly sensuous citrus, with an ultra-refined dry down. The quintessential summer scent. I look forward to wearing this, and I do not think it bears any resemblance to its namesake. Chanel should have given this one a unique name, and not linked it to the Allure line.

Gingembre by Roger & Gallet

i love this scent. high quality, clean, crisp, ginger citrus with hints of musk at the drydown. truly enjoyable and wearable by all.
    i wish this lasted longer, like summer.

Flowerbomb by Viktor & Rolf

wow!!! i died and went to the big candy store in the sky
    sooooo sweet and sugary
    the most gourmand vanilla sugar fragrance ever, right next to angel

Oceanus by Body Shop

let me say this first: i am not an ocean/aquatic/water scent person.
    quite the opposite: i adore the musks/oils/oriental/arab/oud scents
    i don;t know what it is about oceanus that makes me tolerate it and even like it!
    its a happy, foamy, blue scent. clean, scrubbed down with a bar of zest type of scent.