Fragrance Reviews from September 2009

varvara's avatar

Marc Jacobs Splash Cucumber by Marc Jacobs

Some days all you want to feel is light, free and natural. this scent is perfect for all three of those feelings. the cucumber is fresh, crisp and green.
    the lotus balances out the green by adding a little feminine floral. the bottle is so big that you can literally apply this all over and not worry.
    perfect for after the shower or working out.

Bartlebooth's avatar

Héritage by Guerlain

This is a review of the EdP version of Heritage.

This is certainly different enough from the EdT to warrant its own entry in the directory.The increased potency is obvious,but what stands out is the consistency and balance of its output.The ability to vent one beautifully conceived accord after another, for its entire lifespan, ensures that this is by far the most accomplished version of Heritage out there.Smoother,and shorn of any excess patchouli, it is also deeper, richer, and more luxurious.

Given its overuse, I am reluctant to use the phrase masterpiece, but I cannot think of another way to express my admiration for its composition and execution.

30th September, 2009 (Last Edited: 20th September, 2010)

SeaninDubh's avatar

Odeur 71 by Comme des Garçons

Candle wax falling onto an electric heater that has been switched on for the first time since summer, a tube station in London with a whiff of incense. The initial synthetic cocktail gives way to something very wearable with a trace of something a little odd.

L'Ombre dans L'Eau by Diptyque

It's always fun to try these polarizing scents. Here, I'm going to have to side with the haters. A bitter, vegetal opening (crushed tomato leaves?) dies down to a vague middle, from which a rather processed-smelling, almost cooked, rose note emerges. There's nothing here I want to smell like. Pass.

Ofrésia by Diptyque

I wasn't excited by this on my first try -- it was just a faint, clean little floral, the kind you might smell anywhere. But my boyfriend (who could care less about perfumes) loved it. He said it smelled "like nature." So I gave it another shot. I'd seen it described elsewhere as smelling like feminine hygiene products, and this description stuck with me. There is a vinegary note (maybe it's the pepper's sharpness that I'm perceiving as vinegar) that keeps recalling the images I remember on those boxes -- soft-focus pictures of women in white dresses standing in fields of flowers. Everything about the image is supposed to invoke something fresh, clean, and natural, while the very nature of the product suggests the exact reverse.

My revised opinion, after resampling several times for my boyfriend's benefit: a faint, clean little floral with something just a little skanky and suspicious about it. I like it, though I'll probably forget all about it when the sample is gone.

30th September, 2009 (Last Edited: 08 October, 2009)

Jardin Clos by Diptyque

I love hyacinths. The smell for me perfectly sums up the cold, early days of spring. The hyacinths here go on particularly vivid, but go a little flat almost immediately. Too bad. After that, it's a nice floral scent very competently married to a savory melon (think Parfum de Therese, not Bubble Yum.) I like it, but like many Diptyques, it has no base as far as I can tell. Longevity is decent, but after a few hours the persistance of those floral notes starts to wear on me. They almost seem to wilt. Instead of moving gracefully into a third act (like, say, Chamade, another hyacinth scent) this gets tired and a little shrill.

Yumm's avatar

Love and Luck for Women by Ed Hardy [Christian Audigier]

Tried this today at Macy's. The initial impression was musk and melon, but when it settled down, I was left with Freesia. It's a nice floral scent, without being suffocating, and I would be inclined to wear it in the spring and summer months.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Angel Schlesser Homme by Angel Schlesser

The fresh almost fruity-sweet opening is a welcome reflief from the near-cliched citrus tops. It holds my interest even further with its cool, watery texture rather reminiscent of wet leaves after a rainfall. Unfortunately 10 minutes is about as far as it had me under its thrall as I find the progression lacking in focus and somewhat generic. Sillage is not a strong suit either. Hard to believe that the nose behind this creation was Thierry Wasser, who in 2008 was appointed by Guerlain to be its in-house perfumer. Only time will tell if that was a bad move for Guerlain but judging by ANGEL SCHLESSER HOMME and his other creations which include Armani Diamonds and Diesel Fuel for Life for Her, I'd be worried.

Cool Water Frozen by Davidoff

this is by far the best of the cool water "variety" types it is VERY sexy and hip smelling and the scent is well balanced with an aquatic edge and the patchouli, insence and freshness retains itself in the entire scent from the top to base while u get a bunch of musky stuff but its a great scent

Revert Eco Cologne Spray by rue21

if this tester is on the counter at the rue store it should be GOOD STUFF sorry to say its nondistinctive and a forgettable citrus scent with nothign to offer

Armani Code Summer by Giorgio Armani

it is a nice smelling scent but an unnecessary frag and has virtually no resemblence to the original but definately more aromatic and light for a summer night out

Carbon by rue21

I am not a big fan of this one its very generic and uninspiring in it's scent definately not worth me wasting my money on this one its a total bland copy of existin scentz

Hugo by Hugo Boss

Not bad, not good. So So. Wish the notes were a little sharper.

Joop! Homme by Joop!

Ok, I think i will like this scent when i am in my 30-40's. It smells really good, and I can pick out the notes, but it just smells a little TOO elegant for my liking. I'll pass. Can indeed induce a headache.

Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren

Nasty. I like me some polo, but I don't like generic saline blasts.

Hummer by Hummer

eau de fart spray in my opinion. Sensory overload. Not even half good

DKNY Be Delicious Men by Donna Karan

It's not horrible, it's just horribly bland. mediocre in all categories. Has a sour drydown which I actually like, and the bottles pretty sick. Other than that, just pass on it.

Euphoria Men by Calvin Klein

It's really not that bad. Good clean citrusy dry down. One of the better CK's

Silver Black / Onyx by Azzaro

saw a bottle of this for $15.00 at Ross. Can't go wrong with that, I'll be buying it as well as Escada Homme and Set Sail: Saint Barts.

euphoropia's avatar

Mystère by Rochas

I adore this classic, warm, chypre scent. I hope someone resurrects it!

stellaccia's avatar

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

this is part of my eighties' revival routine . . . one sniff and I am taken right back in a room with the most unapologetically sexy man ever

Swanky's avatar

Carrington by Charles of the Ritz

This is the unlikeliest winner this side of Beckham Intimately. This was my first after shave, back in the mid-80's. In the early 90's I found some, which I still have, at MacFrugal's (in the US-later called Big Lots). This was a celebrity tie-in with the horrendous, yet vastly popular, TV show "Dynasty."

What about the scent, then? Of the 80-odd colognes I own, this one, by far, has received the most compliments from the distaff members of society. Great projection, but go easy. It also lasts a good 12 hours. The lavender, bergamot and lemon stand out and this was, at the time, a poor man's alternative to Eau Sauvage and 1881. Ironically, now Carrington is a collector's item and goes for more than Eau Sauvage and 1881 combined.

I prefer the after shave to the EDT; it's subtler but mighty. If you can luck into a bottle, I highly recommend it.

30th September, 2009 (Last Edited: 16 January, 2011)