Fragrance Reviews from September 2009

Original Santal by Creed

I think OS just smells so nice and relaxed. I don't think it smells like JOOP but I'm certainly not a perfume master I just know what I like to smell and wear.

Patchouli Leaves by Montale

This is what I wear when I NEED to smell patchouli. My grandmother has a cedar trunk she keeps her cashmere in and she wraps real patchouli leaves around everything to keep the moths at bay. When the trunk is opened it is pure bliss and you can't help but to breath deeply to take in the aroma so nice and warm and slightly sweet.

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

I've been wearing Black Orchid a lot lately it just makes me feel so good. Peoples reactions when I wear it are always so positive and that's always a nice thing. I noticed some negative reviews so not everyone shares my passion for this frag. That's okay though we can't all like the same things and I enjoy reading all the reviews good and bad. I wish I was better at writing reviews but it's not really my thing I just know what I do and don't like. So maybe everyone can forgive my lack luster opinions but I just love perfume.

03rd September, 2009 (Last Edited: 15th September, 2009)

Tom Ford for Men by Tom Ford

I don't think Tom Ford is overrated as many do (Black Orchid is brillant) and he has some very good ideas but TF for Men just isn't very good. I tried it and was less than pleased with it it left me feeling cold.

nonix999's avatar

Versace Versense by Versace

Citrusy yet sophisticated opening, but dries down quickly to a barely-there wood with some floral hints as well. The remaining scent is soft, but still complex. Unfortunately, it's all but worn off on me and it's not even lunch, which is why I feel I need to give it a neutral rating. It's really too bad because this is ideal for a subtle and unique at work scent!

JaimeB's avatar

L'Anarchiste by Caron

This is far from the usual, pretty much on the edge at the very outset. Later it tames down a little, and winds up smelling creamy and elegant. An anarchist in youth that has come to the finer things of life later on? The early phase does have much of the firebrand about it; the drydown speaks of maturity, but definitely not of disenchantment or resignation, with a bit of powdery musk still showing the nonconformist edge. The bottle I have was a gift from a friend of excellent taste, but it was not brand new when I received it. On my skin it doesn't fulfill its reputation for longevity, but perhaps the bottle is old enough for the juice to have gone off a bit. I can always spray a little more to keep it going... and I do think it's worth keeping it going!

jasong9573's avatar

Nautica Oceans by Nautica

Excellent. I don't like anything Nautica (Coty) has ever put out, but Oceans is good and different. It's light and clean smelling, with an almost unisex like smell to it. It's kind of like CK One, but still different, if that makes sense. The fact that it is water based is cool, too. It doesn't dry out your skin and I think it last about as long as most colognes I have. I'd say a good four hours, if not more. Good job Nautica/ Coty.

04th September, 2009 (Last Edited: 31st October, 2009)

R's avatar

Chevignon by Chevignon

For some reason it reminds me of Rowdy Yates and Mr.Favor...riding the sedalia trail. Rollin rollin rollin....

trikkirikki's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Galimar by Galimard

This was such a surprise!
    With the opening being very citrusy-fresh with nice, ripe, warmed-by the-sun oranges and lemons, I wasn't sure what to expect from the middle- and basenotes. As it is supposedly an oriental, I couldn't fit the fresh fruit with the concept. The citrus lingers for quite a while, then the cinnamon and nutmeg hits me.

How beautifully sweet the spices stand out in front of the vanilla background! Iris and jasmine stays in the background on my skin. The patchouli is rather soft and blends perfectly with the vanilla and spices. Not at all offensive or in-your face.

I would say this scent is perfect for all occations, evening, day or night. It makes me feel very confident. The sillage is just right, this isn't a scent which enters a room ahead of you.

mikeperez23's avatar

Artisan by John Varvatos

Do not be fooled by the fantastic fresh-as-Spring-air orange blossom top notes. This scent, once it has dried on skin, becomes a highly synthetic and cheap smelling nitromusk, detergent-esque fragrance. Very disappointing - for a fragrance with such a great bottle!

mikeperez23's avatar

Aoud Leather by Montale

I have come to the conclusion that this scent is much better when worn with another fragrance - not worn alone.

The linear scent of leather (very similar to Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford) starts with a very raw (yes, iodine like, as Trebor mentions below) top note that gets softer and simultaneously more realistic the longer it remains on skin. The absence of florals, powder or cigarette ash gives the scent a solitary minimalism - that I appreciate. It is the olfactory equivalent of slipping on a leather jacket and to me, this gives the scent a fashionable opulence. It also feels just as comfortable worn dressed up as it does worn with a white T-shirt and jeans.

However unlike other opulent scents I own, AL's linear accords bore me quickly worn alone. So, layering the scent (I've layered it with everything from Mugler Cologne to Youth Dew) is where it true magic shows.

Not a fan of layering scents? You might want to pass on this one, then.

andischatz's avatar

Germany Germany

D&G Le Bateleur 1 by Dolce & Gabbana

Got this one today after immediately liking it when I smelled it. Gave it a chance to mature for a while and I do like the way it develops from a really simple and fresh scent, via some aquatic notes towards a slightly more mellow but still freshly laundered quality. I love "clean" smells and this is definitely one of them. Nice work!

Stereotomy's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

White Patchouli by Tom Ford

Definitely a Tom Ford, for it has this Tom Ford spicy base that most of his private blend line stuff also has.

Floral patchouli, but definitely more floral than patchouli.

Stereotomy's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Infusion de Fleur d'Oranger by Prada

It's okay. Feminine iris-powdery, very light. Like a mixup between Orange Rose Water and a light Infusion d'Iris.

Gucci Eau de Parfum by Gucci

This is Gucci's top product, without a doubt. Classy, elegant, sophisticated, grown-up - but not staid. (Yah, I know. Gucci and CLASS? But there it is)

It opens on a soapy orange blossom, but with the heliotrope's creamy fullness already tangible in the background, ready to take over. Orange blossom is not my favourite note ever, and I'm glad it does not outstay its welcome.
    The heart is restrained and elegant -a bit dry and herbal while it remains feminine- and an almost rubber-like leather note starts peeking out. If you've smelled Bulgari Black you know what I mean.
    Quite lovely.
    Poor lasting power for an alleged EdP, though.

Eau de Fleurs de Cédrat by Guerlain

Frankly, it smells like lemon flavoured hard candies. Anyone familiar with the Belgian Bonbon Napoleon? That's what it smells like exactly.
    Even *knowing* the history of the classic Eau de Cologne, and *knowing* that the cédrat (citron in English) is a separate species of citrus fruit I still can't escape the lemon candy association.

Safran Troublant by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Safran Troublant is... adorable. If I had to pick one word to encompass the entire scent, that would be it.
    The mild, gentle opening of powdery saffron quickly sinks in a semi-sweet basmati rice-milky concoction laced with rose. People who do not like rose in perfume (me!): try this.
    A bit foody but not too much so, highly comforting and quite elegant. I can't praise it enough.

Longevity on me is very acceptable (5h), but then I never have problems with L'Artisans. It does stay close to the skin after maybe 30 minutes - it's one of those scents that you don't register as a perfume, but as "you smell good". Which is nothing but a compliment, in my opinion.

DKNY Be Delicious by Donna Karan

Gigantic sillage, DO NOT wear in confined spaces. Aggressively fruity and citrusy-sharp - instant headache potion. Repugnant. Doesn't change much over time, though the most offensively sharp top notes do mellow ever so slightly. My observational powers are compromised by the blinding headache this one gives me.

Eau des Merveilles by Hermès

The given notes are irrelevant to me - it really doesn't smell like any of those. The overall impression I get is of an un-feminine, slightly salty woody aura (the saltiness comes out only on heavier application). Skin. Sorta, anyway. On bad days, unwashed skin.
    It's taken me forever to learn to love this one, but it's been intriguing all along at the very least. Some scents that are challenging at first turn into the greatest loves simply *because* you've spent so much time analyzing and criticizing them. It first clicked on a hot day, and I still prefer to wear this in hot, damp weather.

Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I went a-sampling the other day, and left with my arms covered in fragrant patches of several very nice things. I'd sprayed on Borneo 1834 as an afterthought, since that was the first time I'd seen it in store anywhere - I wasn't particularly interested in it from online descriptions I'd read.
    Walking down the street, I started thoroughly enjoying my own sillage, but didn't recognize it. Powdery, unsweet, dusty-smoky... fascinating! Not incense, not campfire-y, but then what? It took some yoga-like flexibility to locate the spot, and it turned out to be Borneo. I really appreciate the dusty-dry take on cocoa instead of a nauseating, sugared processed-chocolate imitation.

Funnily enough, Borneo's *sillage* smells markedly different from how it smells close up. It's the only fragrance I've ever noticed does that.

It also has the distinction of being the only fragrance I can tolerate that features notes of both patchouli and cocoa. Thumbs up.

Lea by Lea St Barth

Lea strikes me as achingly sweet. The main course is a very creamy, milky sweet vanilla, which comes across as ever so slightly synthetic - like the vanilla in cheap scented candles. In fact, it reminds me most irresistibly of a body spray I used to own when I was 14 or so.
    I don't get any almonds, sadly.

White Patchouli by Tom Ford

My opinion up front: this is awful.
    An intensely sweet and syrupy patchouli, so much that it instantly nauseates me. I love patchouli when it focuses on the slightly damp and smoky-earthy aspects, but this is liquid patchouli candy. The addition of florals only serves to enhance the sickly sweetness, and it's only after maybe an hour that it's down to tolerable levels.
    I find no sophistication in this scent, I'm sorry to say. If you like Angel, I suppose you would like this, too.

Patchoulissime by Keiko Mecheri

Is it supposed to be *this* subtle? Can hardly smell a blessed thing. Extra sprays only amplified the white noise. Puzzling.
    From what I *can* smell, it's a nice, slightly earthy and unsweet patchouli.

Blush Intense by Marc Jacobs

Nothing intense about it. Why churn out a flanker that smells *exactly* like the scent it's flanking? Mystifying.

For the record, I do like the scent; it's just that it's identical to Blush, regular version.

Hermèssence Osmanthe Yunnan by Hermès

Yah... "nice".
    A bit safe, a bit clean, a bit "meh". Nothing wrong with it, mind you - a pretty, girlish, light, summery floral. But from a hyper-exclusive line like the Hermessences, I expect spades of shocking & awing. I certainly would not plonk down that amount of cash for "meh, nice".

Cannabis Santal by Fresh

First thought: who filled my sample with Angel? Blegh-syrupy chocolate and patchouli.
    I don't know which marketing genius cooked up the name of this scent, but its namesake ingredients are nowhere to be found.

Pass.

Musc Maori 04 by Parfumerie Generale

Plasticky jasmine & eau de chocolat faux. Scrub. Repeat.

Sienne L'Hiver by Eau d'Italie

Unusual. Sienne opens on a sweet-and-sour, very recognizable violet leaf note. I enjoy it in theory, but find it hard to actually *wear*, and that's one of the reasons I would not buy this, well constructed though it undoubtedly is. Violet leaf is astringent and sour, and I've seen it compared to everything from black olives to green beans, but for me smells closest to pickled jalapeños.
    Anyway, the violet leaf does calm down and the rest of the fragrance is an excellent, gentle mix of mildly sweet spices and resins.

Not for me.

Jasmin et Cigarette by Etat Libre d'Orange

Let me start of by saying that I dislike the puerile gimmicky-ness of both EldO's marketing and scents. That said, JeC is an example of where an unusual pairing of notes actually *works* as a personal fragrance. Yes, it basically smells like a jasmine bud in an ashtray, but this is also a scent that paints a picture. It's what a film noir actress would smell like: her heady floral perfume mixed with the lingering scent of tobacco on her fingers.
    I kept going back and forth on this one, but I declare it wearable. Proceed with caution, though, YMMV.

Bahiana by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Light Blue clone! I'm sure this scent must have redeeming qualities, but I simply can't get over the eerie similarity to D&G Light Blue - and I needn't reiterate how I feel about Light Blue.
    It's grating and pointy-sharp and I don't want it on my skin or anywhere near me. All citrus and splintery wood, not at all the tropical cocktail I had anticipated.