Fragrance Reviews from September 2009

Café Vert by Il Profumo

I may be a coffee fiend, but I admit I do not know what the unroasted, green coffee bean smells like. So IF that is what Il Profumo was going for, I cannot tell you if the likeness is any good. If however they were aiming for the coffee we all know and love - then they failed. Pleasant as Café Vert is, coffee it ain't. What it IS is a green floral with what I swear is green tea. Smells astringent, clean. Like any given green tea body mist or shower gel, only in EdP formulation. I am unimpressed.

Costume National 21 by Costume National

First time I tried 21, I could not tell any difference between this and a zillion other spicy orientals.

I'm so glad I revisited.
    This is really, really wonderful. It has that same rum-raisin cinnamon candied fruits goodness going on that Ambre Narguilé does, but the sweetness is toned down with a is softly spicy heart, unisex teetering on the edge of masculine. There is a smooth milky quality about it that makes it intensely comforting to me.

Baume Du Doge by Eau d'Italie

To me, Baume du Doge is a moody, unsmiling, severe fragrance, reminiscent of chilly gothic cellars, cobwebs and wet stone. The olibanum and myrrh dominate to the point that I have trouble discerning anything beyond it.
    Once on the skin for 30 minutes or so, it starts to lighten up, though. The echoes of Igor slamming doors in the Transsylvanian castle die out, and it settles in a warmer, pleasanter dry olibanum-dominated scent. Now, I love me some olibanum, but that opening is VERY gloomy. Don't spritz this on the emotionally vulnerable.

I *will* revisit in autumn/winter, though, because I do enjoy the likes of CdG Avignon and Profumum Olibanum. Maybe a sunny day just isn't the best match for this scent.

Bronze Goddess Eau Fraîche Skinscent by Estée Lauder

Very nice indeed. Smells like coconut biscuits, in a good way. Quite transparent. I could swear there's some heliotrope in there, too.
    My only gripe: the hesperidic top notes are increasingly jarring with every wearing. They seem so incongruous with the rest of the scent, which is the exact opposite of sharp and refreshing. It ends up being a bit nose-wrinkling, those first few moments.
    It's a scent of sweet nothings, but very enjoyable, all in all.

Soavissima by Profumum

Bottom line first: it smells like really expensive soap.

Long version: I like the opening quite a bit - gentle resinous creaminess with an unexpected zing of *something* almost citrusy, almost spicy cutting through it. Medium sweet and unabashedly feminine.

Later on, the distinct notes join to form one glowy, powdery, soapy aura. Feels almost motherly, and safe. Expertly blended, high quality ingredients, can't fault the fragrance, and YET... I feel no desire whatsoever to own it. I miss the fireworks. Confetto presented the same problem to me: it's nice, sure, but where's the zing?

Eau de Sisley 3 by Sisley

On a paper strip, this was scrumptious. *Freshly grated* ginger, juicy-tangy-spicy. Ginger is one of my favourite notes, so go figure. A very nice twist on a refreshing summery eau de cologne, I thought, substituting the citrus with ginger. Inventive!
    I got a sample and tried it at home. Where'd my ginger go? I get a quite bitter type of citrus, reminding me of Dior Escale a Portofino. That undefinable petitgrain/grapefruit kind of bitterness. Not necessarily unpleasant, but not my favourite either, especially when I had been all geared up for the ginger.

Disappointment, for me.

Yuzu Fou by Parfum d'Empire

I could see me enjoying this one in the heat of summer: it's very sharp, very refreshing, with the bitter orange and verbena dominating. The dry-down is a soft musky scent with some citrusy freshness remaining. It feels like a more feminine sibling to Eau d'Orange Verte to me.
    Still, a bit anemic, and not very memorable. Meh.

jenson's avatar
    jenson
    India India

Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy

When one has over 80+ scents and equal number of samples and minis, we would tend to forget some of those gems which gets obsured in between niche/cliche? i guess, it has to do with the kind of weather we have today in Bombay.. it's been raining heavily since yesterday..overcast weather with cool wind. in all, it's been a beautiful day and a pleasant climate. on day like this, i chose to wear my favorite, Givenchy Gentleman.
    Opening accord demonstrates "scent dynamics" only seen in scents like Patou Ph, Habit Rouge EDC et al.... damp note of patchouli wrapped in wormwood (think Ungaro I) with mild wouch of spices. the combination on Patchouli+Wormwood is overwhelming to the extent, it's so realistic that one could touch it olfactorily. Touch of spices adds a hint of sweetness and the scent progresses into a "heavenly blend" of patchouli, woody accords & civet. one aspect which i absoultey adore about this scent is - all the way to the mids, Patchouli is covered by this distinct note of camphor/napthalene?...gives it a smoky, white, cool feel. This phase is simply divine, it lasts for nearly 3+ hours..after which, GG relaxes into a soft halo of patchouli, woods and aN irreplaceble accord of supple, saddle leather
    what stands out is the master blend and the quality of ingredients. outside niche/clichedom, this would be one of those rare offerigns which such an explicit use of Patchouli and wormwood..with the kind of blend we experience in scents like Patou Ph, PDN New York, Guerlain Habit Rouge et al... i know this has been reviwed over 100 times on BN..but just cudnt resist posting about it one more time..
    I have read the Vintage version is even better..im so curious to get my hands on that one too..Xmen..here i come :)

Agnes's avatar
    Agnes
    England England

Rouge by Christian Lacroix

Initially is very fruity and sweet but dries down to something a little more sensitive and feminine. Since I have a bottle I wear it occasionally and no one objects!

miguelito_bh's avatar
    miguelito_bh
    Brazil Brazil

Story by Paul Smith

Good Scent... IMO the same of Kenzo Air with 2 diferences: more citrus and no anise.

Bigsly's avatar
    Bigsly

Listen for Men by Herb Alpert

I think the combination of fruit, basil, and geranium create a "spicy" effect (not sure if the cyclamen is playing a part here because it's quite blended). My first impression was hot chili pepper. I think this fragrance represents a successful attempt to create a Latin-American Oriental, as strange as that sounds! However you want to classify it, Listen for men is a unique and excellent fragrance in every way. Though those who prefer "niche" fragrances may feel that is blended too much, it may satisfy some of them because it is such a unique "designer" fragrance. Longevity and sillage are at least very good. Though strong, this is also smooth, with no "harsh edges." I agree with the comment that is more of an evening/party fragrance, if you are concerned with the "social implications."

tanto's avatar
    tanto

Replique by Long Lost Perfume

During my childhood, I remember so many women (icluding my mom) wearing Replique. In 1959, my mom's friend, then a top Dior model in Paris, came to visit us in Milano. I was just a kid of 10 yrs old but I could remember my mom commenting on how much she liked her perfume. Well, she took a small piece of cloth and sprayed it with Replique. Mom immediately went to a profumeria to purchase it! She wore it for many years to follow. I can still smell the lovely fragrance in my mind to this very day. Too bad that fragrances follow the "present day trends" because original Replique was so lovely and sexy, too. I wish these beautiful "classics" can be relaunched in their original form. Today, designers and perfume houses don't have the creativity that existed years ago. It is the "end of an era".

nathaliez's avatar
    nathaliez
    France France

Kelly Calèche by Hermès

There isnt anything green neither crisp about Kelly Caleche..instead a strong grapefuit note, very well harmonized with a soft but very present leather note..a rich, supple leather...a very feminine scent, i dont find it unisex at all! it fits the complex and well assured woman...it breathes sophistication, class, and self assurance!
    well constructed the notes seem to float on top of one another..few fragrances can achieve that effect!! wonderfully complex and charming!

djolney's avatar
    djolney

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

Living in the driest state in Australia I am used to the desert. The desert here is a huge open space that somehow crushes in on one, squeezing the moisture and energy out of every living thing that is not tough enough and ready for its onslaught.

LDDM represents a different kind of desert: a desert in which one is enveloped by smells and sensations that caress rather than crush.

From its opening to its end LDDM is captivating rather than confronting, and calming rather than exhausting.

The spices are dry without being desiccated; the petitgrain adds a wonderful twist; the incense is soft and slightly smoky (like in Incense Rose); and the cedar and amber are dry and slightly honeyed.

When I wear LDDM I find myself entranced by the place it conjures in my mind, and this is reflected in a calm satisfaction as I go about my day.

vintage*red's avatar
    vintage*red

Narciso Rodriguez for Her by Narciso Rodriguez

I was surprised to discover that I really don't like this. It starts out fruity/floral a la Badgley Mischka and then morphs into Lolita Lempicka minus the anise. Interesting, but not compelling, inspiring or beautiful enough to purchase.

Black Suede by Avon

I smelled this before was the first thing I noticed after trying it. On the way home I realized that it was, to my nose, close to Dunhill for Men, the one designed in 1934 according to BN's Fragrance Directory. And, a week after, to my surprise, I realized that it also shared notes in common with Versace L'Homme. These notes are many. They all open up with the same sort of top notes, a very strange "watery" feeling to the nose: take a room with walls full of mold but turn it into a nice, flowery, powdery smell. Of course, a very primitive blind test among relatives (wife and kids) proved that of these three, Dunhill was the better option, followed by Versace and Black Suede, mainly because of leather-type base notes so characteristic of Dunhill, which are completely absent in Black Suede.

So, if you can't find Dunhill due to its discontinuation, and Versace proves hard to find because of its lack of market presence, you might as well resort to this one. Take the added benefit of its low price, the fact that there is an eau de cologne, shaving foam, after shaving balsam and deodorant sold under the same brand, so this actually means sillage and longevity are not a problem at all. Besides, if complimented about, you may surprise people either way, saying it is one of Avon's inexpensive fragrances, a rare option among Dunhill's line or a souvenir from the eighties, originally bought to be worn with a wide shoulder-padded coat.

Jovan Musk for Men by Jovan

A less expensive version of Kiehl's Musk, sahring the presence of floral notes, thus making it (well, as a matter of fact, both) femenine.

It is an excellent value for money provided carefulness upon application; otherwise, its true self might be revealed. Take in mind it will not not smell cheap if wisely applied.

04 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 25 October, 2009)

Wild Country by Avon

A barbershop fragrance that, as many said, is along the line of classics: Dana's Canoe, a local drugstore scent called Grandal and YSL's Rive Gauche. Differences: Wild Country doesn't have Dana's Canoe sweet / caramel-like note in the top and mid notes, nor it shares Grandal's classic-cologne-like notes. The presence of musk is evident, but it is much aminorated by the presence of flowery top and mid notes and the amber / vanilla / moss in the base notes. It does not share at all YSL's Rive Gauche modernist style, because in the case of Wild Country, longevity and sillage are the right ones for a scent designed in the 1960's, while YSL's Rive Gauche could be described as very strong in both terms.

Thus, it is not sweet, it is not "cologny", not ever-present, nor strong in terms of sillage, so we can conclude it is the right sort of barbershop scent. And, as in many of Avon's products, there is a whole range of toiletries sold under the brand.

One more point to add in Wild Coutntry's favor - I layer it with a patchouly extract that improves its sillage and longevity in a remarkable way, bringing compliments from many.

gabystie's avatar
    gabystie

DKNY Men (New) by Donna Karan

Bad. Bulgari Aqua with melon in it.

da_markos's avatar
    da_markos
    Poland Poland

Fahrenheit Absolute by Christian Dior

I'm not a fan of regular fahrenheit but i really, really like "absolute". I've got a sample and i have been testing it for 2 days.
    My first thought - "Absolute" doesn't have those characteristic note of motor oil that "fahrenheit" does. This one is more wearable version of "fahrenheit" which means that it isn't so controversial like oryginal.
    For me it's good but i think that "Absolute" won't become a classic like "Fahrenheit".

04 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 23 September, 2009)

esquirol's avatar
    esquirol

Knize Ten by Knize

The deo spray of Knize ten smells fabulous on a man"s body. It brings out all the good that there is in the fragrance, which I otherwise find too overpowering. There is something in the chemistry of both deo and skin that I find indescribable. Try it!

JessicaGrace's avatar
    JessicaGrace

Umè by Keiko Mecheri

My favorite of the Keiko Mecheri's I've sampled. All KM's seem formulated not to offend, to the point of being bland (Hanae) or stuffy (Grenats). Ume narrowly avoids a similar fate by adding a delicate salt-and-smoke edge to the fruity heart notes that is enough to keep you interested over the course of it's relatively short lifespan. I totally get the Coco Mademoiselle comparison. Both are chypre-lites with a bergomat/jasmine/woody accord. Prada Tendre is even more of a lookalike, being all of the above, but with plum instead of apricot. In fact, if you like this kind of thing, Prada Tendre is half the price and worth a try.

04 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 22 September, 2009)

JessicaGrace's avatar
    JessicaGrace

Memory of Kindness by CB I Hate Perfume

Opens with an acrid, rather poisonous green note. I think of tomato leaves being a bit warmer and yummier than this. I would have guess this was ivy, or a similar dark, crushed green. Ripens a bit on the skin over time, to something more like the full tomato fruit. I've had the same experience with several in the line, in that they fade with an hour or two into a signature flat, slightly sweet vegetal tone that could be either fresh or dull depending on how you take it. Not exciting enough to wear again.

PorkFat's avatar
    PorkFat

Antidote by Viktor & Rolf

Smells like a mish-mash of industrial chemicals and melted plastic. I think this is in the bottom 5 of the worst fragrances I have ever had the displeasure of smelling. I hated the sample but bought a bottle because it was such a great deal. It is a cool bottle too. Thankfully I didn't spend near retail for it.

Catherinethegreat's avatar
    Catherinethegreat

Cachet by Prince Matchabelli

I have loved this for years on and off. Get compliments on it and its so cheap and yet so classy in a subtle way.

Try it!

Primrose's avatar
    Primrose

Rumeur 2 Rose by Lanvin

Rumeur 2 Rose is a wonderful scent for warm...even hot...weather! What a fresh scent!

This is a very citrusy floral (rose, mugeut et chevrefeille...rose, lily of the valley and honeysuckle) with a little hit of citrus at the start. The scent then mellows out to a warm amber. I can see this as a marvelous scent to wear in the summer or anytime for a pick-me-up. A happy scent.

Susanne's avatar
    Susanne

Fracas by Robert Piguet

I bought Fracas for the first time and found I needed at least two sprays and after 30 mins. found I loved it. Fracas is somewhat oriental and somewhat naughty. It is certainly a fragrance that I am pleased I bought. It will never be my favoroute but will make me smile until I finish the bottle.

English Leather by Dana

The review by vintage*red is on the mark, regarding the new (Dana) English Leather versus the original (Mem Company) English Leather. Those of us who survived the 60's can surely remember the creamy, saddle-soapy fragrance of original English Leather cologne. The reborn Dana version seems only like a distant cousin to the original. I have a chicken-and-the-egg dilemma: does English Leather really smell like saddle soap, or does saddle soap kindle memories of English Leather as how saddle soap should smell? Now I'll toss and turn as I ponder that one...

I am fortunate to own both a bottle of *original* Mem English Leather Cologne (thanks to patience, persistence and eBay), as well as a bottle of Dana English Leather Cologne. The Mem version is so, so much better and it gives me flashbacks from the late 60's. (To avoid becoming a persona non grata, every young man just had to own this delicious cologne). The longevity of the Mem version seems considerably more abbreviated than I recall, but then the bottle is decades old and might have lost a little potency. Still, for a few hours it gives a wonderful leathery/soapy aura if modestly applied. Foetidus is correct on that point - overuse the original Mem version and it can be potent enough to fill a fair-sized arena. I probably won't use either version very often as my tastes have evolved somewhat over the years, but wouldn't be embarrassed for one moment to take another ride back to the 60's on the English Leather train. Matter of fact, while the thought is fresh, tomorrow might just be the day.

Hai Karate by Leeming

This has the distinction of undefeated champ for bad 60's/70's colognes. I laughed out loud when I read tvlampboy's thumbnail: "All that is vile and hellish in the world, but captured in a bottle....". I guess that about says it. RIP, Hai Karate. Return to the bowels of hell from whence you came.

Jade East by Regency

Jade East. What foetidus said. 2nd worst of the 60's/70's power fragrances. This stuff used to make me gag when I was surrounded by a carload of my buddies, all of whom measured their (imagined...) likely sexual prowess by the volume of Jade East strategically applied about the extremities. I always thought the actual result was probably inversely proportional. Most guys abandoned English Leather to jump on the Jade East bandwagon. Me, I stuck with the tried-and-true English Leather.