Fragrance Reviews from September 2009

Salvatore Ferragamo pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

My nose hasn't been trained to identify most individual notes in this or any other cologne. If everyone says that SFpH contains this note or that, then I completely take them at their word. Clove has a fairly powerful essence, though, and I don't smell it a bit in this cologne. That's for the better. I'm not very fond of clove. But all in all, it doesn't matter one fig (yes, pun intended) to me. What I know is this: I think this is cologne smells quite nice, particularly about 1-2 hours into the drydown. Classy, not too effeminate. On opening, it has a fruitiness but then develops into a creamy, warm sort of fragrance. Longevity is OK but not extraordinary - I am wearing SFpH as I type this and applied it about 6 hours ago. If I sniff my arm, I can still smell it - but from a foot away I'd need the nose of an anteater. I wouldn't say this is one of my favorite fragrances, but it's certainly good enough for a thumbs-up rating, particularly in light of the price.

Almost forgot: when I first sprayed SFpH, it reminded me of some other cologne I used to own. I finally remembered: the opening salvo smells a lot like Jivago 24K for Men.

Jivago 24k Men by Jivago

This is a nice, clean - but not outstanding cologne. It's fresh enough to be worn at any time, day or night. Somewhat fruity and spicy at the opening, followed by a mellow drydown of (I think) sandalwood and vetiver. Classy and clean, that's Jivago 24K. By the way, the little gold flecks (yes, they are really gold) are eventually dissolved by the cologne within a few years. Thumbs up from me.

Here's a little footnote, for trivia's sake: I own a small boutique hotel and several years ago, Ilina Jivago (founder and president of Jivago, Inc.) stayed here for several nights. She is a warm, delightful person and (dare I say...) stunningly beautiful. That's no exaggeration. She was as friendly as pie and before leaving, gave my wife a beautiful bottle of her 24K perfume for women. Pretty cool.

Sharper Image by Sharper Image

Sharper Image Cologne was correctly identified by Jon_Remy in his review of Sud Est. Here are Jon's thoughts about Sharper Image: "I believe this line was originally produced by Herb Alpert Fragrances (yes, the trumpeteer Herb Alpert). I believe he also released a fragrance called "The Sharper Image," which is no longer manufacatured, but which I still have three bottles and will use very sparingly. "The Sharper Image" did, in fact, last very long and smelled very "blue" and would do well in today's market given all the "blue" fragrances coming out like Bulgari's Blu, Blu Notte, Polo Blue, etc. Sad it's not available. A very fresh and potent scent indeed. Perfect for country life and formal evening. They should have kept this one and discontinued the original (which smells like cinnamon and clove, but completely different, but nice)."

I totally agree with Jon. I used to consider Sharper Image to be my "signature" scent back in the early 80's, but learned to use it sparingly. If you spray one or two spritzes too much, it can become cloying because yes, it is a strong fragrance with good sillage and great longevity. In moderation it is a nice, clean, rather soapy fragrance. Mildly sweet, but at the same time quite masculine. I would describe the fragrance as being linear, but very unique and to this day, I've never smelled another like it. Like Jon, I still have a little stash for posterity and occasionally pull out one of the cobalt blue bottles for use. It still smells great.

As an aside, years ago I was dismayed when I discovered that Sharper Image had discontinued the cologne. (After all, it was my signature scent!!). In desperation, I made a few calls to Sharper Image's customer service department and was fortunate to communicate with a kind-hearted soul who was very service oriented. That person contacted their main distribution center (Arkansas, as I recall?) and to my great glee, a few bottles were found lying in a dusty corner of the warehouse. Even more surprisingly, they shipped these.....the very last bottles....to me at no charge. That fond memory makes the cologne even more precious to me after all these years.

Obsession by Calvin Klein

Absolutely without doubt a wonderfully fantastic fragrance. I may have a bit of a bias as this was the perfume that really got me interested in fragrances growing up, and for that reason alone I love it. This is definitely one of the best things that the 80's gave us :-) I hope everyone gets a chance to try this sometime, and if I had more then 2 thumbs, they would all be up for this one! Thank you CK!

White Diamonds by Elizabeth Taylor

This is a fabulous scent on the RIGHT woman! And I emphasize RIGHT. My mom can really pull this one off and gets compliments all the time. It seems this one is really a love or hate perfume. All I have to say is that it's a LOVE for me. FYI please use in moderation :-)

X-Centric by Dunhill

I used to wear this a lot in highschool as I found it to be very clean, simple, and non-offensive to those around me. Some may say it's a bit generic smelling, but that's not necessarily a bad thing if that's what you want, right?

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Well well well....what do we have here?! AdG I see. A fragrance that many of us guys have owned at one point in our lives, and has gotten many people, including me, interested in fragrances as a whole. I know that alot of these folks do have a very difficult time accepting something mainstream and popular, but alas, as much as it crushes them, they must SOMEDAY, SOMEHOW learn to accept AdG's fame and glory. Some of these folks spend years searching high and low for the classics of yesterday and tommorow, but what about today? What are the classics of today? Generic mainstream conformity are what many may refer to this as. But what about the scent that defined what generic mainstream conformity smelled like? Now we`re beginning to paint the picture. The love I have for AdG does not revolve purely around it's scent, but rather more about what it's done for me and my love of frangrances, as well as the fragrance industry as a whole. AdG challenged me to think outside the box when many people thought within it. For this thought provoking reason alone AdG should be saluted. Somerville Metro Man has also made a very valid point referring to AdG as``Wonder Bread`` however IMHO I believe it should be classified as ``Smart Bread``, whole wheat disguised as white bread LOL! Fabulous job Armani!

Higher by Christian Dior

Damn the opening to this one is RAUNCHY! Peeee-ewwwww! LMAO Thankfully its died down within a matter of minutes. I'm getting a picture in my head of mold...fresh, wet, stinky mold with a definite sharpness to it. I could definitely see spraying this on someone as some sort of practical joke...or perhaps the joke is on me?

Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

I agree this is definitely way too classy a scent for someone my age (23) to wear. Mom absolutely loves the stuff. I can see it working really nicely with some older gentlemen out there. The longevity on this one is amazing though, I woke up to it the next day and it was quite a subtle surprise to my nose. Overall a pleasant experience.

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Wow I want some of whichever white rock people are smoking when they smell this because it is absolutely wicked smelling to my virgin nose!

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

Wow can you say HEADACHE?!?! That's all I seem to get when wearing even a spray of this. The funny part is I did have quite fond memories of a close friend who used to wear this and it smelt quite nice on him. I still don't quite understand all the hype around this. Anyways L'eau D'Issey just squeezes by with a neutral, only because of the memories it brings back.

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

IMHO I believe this stuff is nothing short of VILE! I think this is due to the countless amount of times that I had to suffer being stuck in a small, non-ventilated space beside some young guy who took a bath or shower in this stuff. I can't even begin to list to horrid things that go on in my mind when I take a whiff of this. JPG needs to put a WARNING LABEL on this one!

PS by Paul Sebastian

One word N-A-S-T-Y! Old farts will indeed love this stuff. If your feeling generous give a bottle of this stuff to your local street bum!

Crave by Calvin Klein

Wow this one is really getting beaten around here on BN. Go easy on this one folks! I still wonder actually why this one was discountinued as it was a great green-citrusy frag for the younger people out there. I remember many people wearing this in elementary and high school, as well as myself, and it smelled quite nice. I actually got quite a few compliments wearing this from what I recall. I even had the matching shower gel to go with it hehehe. Anyways I loved the fact that the bottle was plastic and "unbreakable" if you will, and it was convenient to throw in your school or gym bag. Thumbs up for the fact that this is still sitting in my basement medicine cabinet lol :-)

Fierce for Men by Abercrombie & Fitch

Wow! "Fierce" is definately a fitting name to describe this fragrance. I'll admit I haven't had the chance (and am slightly afraid) of applying this directly to my skin out of fear I will smell exactly like a walking A&F store, which btw is not that bad. I had a friend who doused his entire apartment with the stuff so, atm, I am a bit turned off by it. Would like to try again though.

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

If this is one of the best mainstream aquatics out there then I am truly disappointed. It does indeed give me the feeling of being at a seaside dock, however it's seriously lacking in the sillage and longevity department. I guess I'm not as much of an aquatic lover as I thought I would be.

04 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 28 March, 2010)

DKNY Red Delicious Men by Donna Karan

Can someone please explain to me why I have two 1oz bottles of this sitting on my shelf? LOL I guess this did appeal to me at one point in time, albeit quite a while ago. However, I still think that the overall boozyness of this scent is quite appealing. It seems like it could have the potential to smell interesting on the right person sometime in the fall....anyone want to buy a bottle lol :-)

cK one Electric by Calvin Klein

I used to love wearing this back in my early college days, especially for going out clubbing. This really was my go-to frag for quite some time, believe it or not. Alas, my sense of smell has developed since that time in my life, however I would still recommend it for the younger high-school and college crowd. If your only comfortable with mainly CK scents, but you wanted something a bit different, then I would recommend giving this a try. It did the trick for me and it may for you as well!

Fuel For Life pour Homme by Diesel

Most definitely one of the top Gino clubber scents of choice! Extremely sweet paired with surprisingly powerful sillage and longevity. No doubt a hit with the young people.

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

This seems to be one of those off and on fragrances for me. When it's on it really does smell very good and leathery; but, when it's off, it is really off, like rubber-ish off. It seems that this frag works very well with my skin chemistry on days that I workout, turning it "on" if you will; however when I don't workout, it is definitely "off." Thumbs up for being interesting and non-mainstream, which is surprising from a company like Juicy.

Boss Pure by Hugo Boss

Nothing special to me, and nothing gross either. I was initially captivated by the brand name, which I should have known, would quickly wear off once I smelt it. I can definately see it as an easy sell for the SA's due to its in-offensive nature. The opening citrus notes lasted for all about 2 seconds in which it died down into a rather synthetic smelling bland scent. This reminds me of the Spanish phrase "maso menos" meaning so-so.

Monocle Scent One: Hinoki by Comme des Garçons

HOLY WOOD BATMAN! Am I stepping into a carpentry shop? I don't know but it sure as hell smells like it. I'm a bit unsure as to what type of social setting this would be appropriate for, however I am still somewhat intrigued. I'm sitting on the fence on this one for the time being.

Emporio Armani Diamonds for Men by Giorgio Armani

Before I actually tried this on myself, I had gotten whisps of it in the public air here and there, which if I remember correctly were pleasant in the "oh that's nice because it doesn't offend me" kind of way. Don't let references that it's "too femme" throw you off just because it's on the sweet side, it obviously has its place in the market, such as in the younger crowd. However it gets a neutral due to longevity issues, and for being a safe yet dull mainstream scent.

Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

As a newbie Basenoter I have to say that I am really pleased with the fact that this scent has really gotten me interested in Guerlain as a whole, as well as sampling more of their more prominent and well-known scents. I absolutely love the mojito-boozy-lime accord that this scent opens with, but unfortunately that is about it. I really wish that the opening could stick around a bit longer to enjoy, as it fades rather quickly from my skin. In fact, this scent totally disappears from my skin in a matter of an hour or so. Longevity is definitely an issue here. Overall though, it has been able to give me the experience I was seeking, and because of that I would like to give it a thumbs up. Unfortunately, due to the longevity issues, I have to stay neutral with this one. This scent has made me really interested in trying the new Guerlain Homme Intense...I hope I am not disappointed.

DKNY Men (New) by Donna Karan

Quick Wiki on Calone: "Calone or methylbenzodioxepinone, trade-named Calone 1951, was discovered by Pfizer in 1966. It is used to give the olfactory impression of a fresh seashore through the marine/ozone nuances. Calone is an unusual odorant which has an intense "sea-breeze" note with slight floral overtones. It was used as a scent component since the 1980's for its watery/fresh/ozone accords, then as more dominant note in several perfumes of the marine trend, beginning in the 1990's."

I completely agree with the comments about this being a synthetic calone scent. What a shame. Nice try Donna!

Artisan by John Varvatos

I was quite excited about this new release, and was unfortunately quite disappointed. I got a huge orange blossom accord on this one, however the longevity on this one was seriously lacking. Too bad though, I was really looking forward to this one.

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

Dont sleep on it. subtle but not in a bad way. ladies love it TRUST ME. ;) not 2 mention gr8 staying power (@ least on my skin)

The Dreamer by Versace

INSTANT FAVORITE. just as described by many the topnotes are harsh. But if you would just w8!!! The drydown yields an extremely pleasant scent that i just cant get enough of. Two thumbs up! Going in my special occasion collection.

Unforgivable by Sean John

I dont understand all da negativity. Stop hatin on it. Its not 2 be slept on. If you dont want to attract the ladies stay away from it cuz they love it. (@ least on my skin!) had 2 cop da 4.2

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

nice...very nice. def stands out from the other aqua scents out there. reminds me a lil of da acqua di gio BUT with a twist 2 it. very good staying power and i love the drydown! i sprayed it on one wrist in the morning and was getting whiffs of it all day even AFTER i showered!