Fragrance Reviews from September 2009

Nautica Blue by Nautica

My fiancee and all her lady friends took a trip down 2 a fragrance store a few years back. She told me they ALL agreed that Nautica Blue was the best one! Not in my opinion but hey, the ladies like it. good 4 teens. fresh clean a lil fruity. had 2 cop a 3.4 just 4 her! must be one of those that got dismissed b/c of the mainstream stereotype (judging by the lack of reviews)

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

found the 1st gucci ph 2 be quite repugnant. LOVE this one. ladies love it 2. excellent staying power. stands out from the crowd. for the mature man that wants 2 make a statement but not to bold. wish i woulda copped da 3.4 instead of da 1.7!

Infusion d'Homme by Prada

not my style. 2 me it seems a little to feminine. overall its nice but it reminds me of somethin my ma might wear. scent remains the same from initial spray to dry down. try b4 you buy. My opinion might change dependin on what the ladies think. that always seems 2 change my opinion ;)

La Nuit de L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

ignore the negative reviews. the time i wore this frag i got the best compliment i've EVER gotten. (haha well not really but it was good) not b/c of what was said but b/c of how strongly the person expressed what they felt about it. it went something like this. "what are you wearing? YOU SMELL GR8!!!!!!!" then they actually started describing what it smelled like to them. haha. Ok but on 2 the frag. cons:...none haha pros: 10/10 for longevity 10/10 for silliage (def. a cool night/evening/fall/winter scent b/c it will PROJECT and cut right through the cold warming everyone up around you). This is the frag you wear the night youre around those you want 2 make an impression with. another pro is its a new scent so if you get it now you'll stand out from the crowd. i've heard comparisons to the original l'homme but i'm not really smelling it. this one is not as fruity/sweet. its much more masculine and suited for nighwear. try it! they just got some in @ the local macys. 10/10 in my opinion.

04 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 01st October, 2009)

Freddddy's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

Very Very good parfume. I prefer to wear this on special occasion

CoL's avatar

Eau de Cartier Relaxante by Cartier

This is the warmer, muskier version of the original. If the first was spring, this is autumn. Like the original wearing a cashmere sweater! Very nice indeed!

Tuxedo by Long Lost Perfume

Received Tuxedo as a gift from the wonderful Chaya, who is a sorceress when it comes to finding scents that "work" on me. I agree with Lefay that while Tuxedo may be classified as an oriental somewhere, to me it is a glorious and rich chypre. Dark, deep green, wet woods and spice with flowers at the back. Just fantastic.

Une Rose by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

A true rose, in bloom and on the stem, complete with thorns and leaves, earth and a touch of dew. Weird and wonderful. I love this one.

Dark Rose by Czech & Speake

Lovely, though not a breakthrough fragrance. Still, like most of the C&S line, exceptionally well done! I'm saving for No. 88, however...

Black Sea by Martine Micallef

The best of the bunch of Micallef "Seas" on my skin, but underwhelming, all the same. I like it, but don't love it, though was relieved that it wasn't as sweet as most of the other Micallefs I've tried.

Les Elixirs Charnels - Oriental Brûlant by Guerlain

This is gorgeous, but more gourmand-y than I want in my fragrance most of the time. Beautifully done, though. Worth re-visiting again... and again.

Brooklyn by Bond No. 9

[size=3][b]Bond No. 9 [color=turquoise]Brooklyn[/b][/color][/size] was my sole impulse purchase from the Boston BN get-together in August 2009. It's marketed as unisex, but seems to me to trend more traditionally "masculine." I can see how this could smell fairly pedestrian as a 'masculine' this year (2009 seems to be the year of 'cardamom in guys' fragrances') but on me, it's a lovely light cardamom/transparent floral and leather. I also pull up any and all sweet notes in this, so it's LOTS of fun! I envision walking past someone with a good nose who stops in their tracks as I pass, turns over their shoulder and thinks, "Wow - She's *interesting*..."

[b] Brooklyn notes:[/b] Grapefruit, Cardamom, Cypress-wood, Geranium Leaves, Juniper Berries, Cedarwood, Leather and Guaiacwood.

Géranium pour Monsieur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I can tell that this would be a stunning some skin types, but on me it's primarily harsh mint with chemically overtones. The geranium leaf is beautifully done... Wish my skin could make it sing. Try before buying, but revel in it if it works on you!

sarj's avatar

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

I recall smelling this last October in Singapore airport. It was being sprayed EVERYWHERE and was therefore 'quite' noticeable. For this reason I didnt bother...overly sweet, cloying...and I was gagging for a beer at the time! Interesting enough havnt bothered with sampling it over the last 10 months....but just a few days ago my nephew bragged on how he got such a good deal for a tester. He was wearing it at the time, and admittedly I didn't mind it. Coming into spring here in Australia and if worn lightly it would be far from un-pleasant. Furthermore, it was bringing back a faint nostalgic memory of a summer years ago....due to a similar scent I owned most probably at the time. I just could not figure out what it was though! It was bugging me...... then this morning it jumped at me....Samourai by Delon! One Million goes a bit heavier on the amber, but the familiarities are there.....for those of you looking for a more aquatic, and (in my opinion) more versatile version of One Million, try to source out Samourai. Ahhh yes, fond memories of a summer many years ago.
    Having said that, one million gets an ever so slight thumbs up. I wouldnt purchase it myself, but would not pass it up as a gift thats for sure!

zztopp's avatar

Lacoste Challenge by Lacoste

Top notes: Lemon, Bergamot, Orange
    Middle notes: Ginger, Juniper, Lavender, Violet
    Base: Teak wood, Ebene wood

Nowadays if you walk into a department store and grab a random mens fragrance from the counter, it would conform to whats presented in Lacoste's "Challenge" (oh the irony in naming..)... an aromatic citrus-ginger spice-generic woods concoction which is now as ubiquitous as the swine flu. A top half constructed with adequate materials...a nice lemon burst rounded by a juicy orange-mandarin note, a heart phase featuring a spice note (which in 101% of the cases is ginger), some diluted lavender and juniper, and a generic low-cost woody base to finish the inbred-DNA of this 'dynamic and optimistic' frag. Just a few ago I tried another paragon of this citrus-spice style..Dior Homme Sport. In the battle of the bottom dwellers, Sport is a teeny bit more attractive because of its better melding of notes. Eitherways, if you like your fragrances safe, uncontroversial/conservative and are risk averse, just pick any of these aromatic citruses ....they are probably coming off the same lab with minute differences here and there. You can't lose (or win) with any of 'em.

Rating: 6.0/10.0

madridbatabidd's avatar

Spain Spain

A Scent by Issey Miyake

The perfume is a deep floral scent, that, (as it happened with the glorious but not understood "Léau Bleue" in the past) will bring confussion regarding the name and the marketing around it: It's not light as we could spect and definitely, it doesn´t really represent the purity and freshness of the air at all...

"A scent" opens green, liquid green, with a strong smell of cut grass, dewy and gorgeous. But instantly the green notes give way to a bubblely bervena that melts into a strong floral mix of hyacinth, jasmin and then, light undertones of cedar that brings to me a funny note of wood varnish, probably, by a use of a hidden synthetic note.

The perfume ends light but noticiable, remaining floral still, rich, with the hyacinth as a main note with jasmin undernotes, soft green notes and a warm touch of galbanum.

"A scent" is a nice scent with a deep caracther being refreshing in a new dimension without being zesty or light, (meaning: without the typical "fresh" or "aquatic" notes).
    It has a weird green-floral accent on it, strong yet "uplifting" that will appeal to many people.
    Probably too floral that loads of guys will find it enough feminine, but I think it works cool on a boy even it's market as a girl scent.

bokaba's avatar

No. 74 Original by Taylor of Old Bond Street

This is certainly a bargain fragrance compared to many other English colognes. 74 is sufficiently stuffy and musty with a little English sensibility. It opens with a hint of citrus and aromatic “baby oil” accord like in Hammam Bouquet (which I personally believe TOBS tried to imitate with this fragrance sans rose). It progresses to an indolent jasmine, iris, muguet, and other powdery florals. The base is a little disturbing and far too powdery for wear any time other than winter.

05 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th November, 2009)

Souxie's avatar

Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

J'Aime by La Perla

Light but with excellent staying power, very fruity

Asha's avatar

Original Vetiver by Creed

Creed Original Vetiver

Notes: Vetiver from Haïti, Mysore sandalwood, iris from Florence, musk and ambergris, deep wood notes, mandarin, bergamot from Sicily, ginger (from creedfragrances.co.uk)

Lemon, bergamot, amber, musk, and rosewood are the most prominent notes when Original Vetiver is first sprayed. I am wondering where the vetiver is. Even after the fragrance has dried and is starting to settle, I do not smell any vetiver. What I do smell is basically a very woody-lemony cologne with soft amber-musk base. It's really not bad, but I would not classify it as a vetiver fragrance. The ingredients seem to be of reasonably good quality, however, I am having a very hard time getting excited about this fragrance. OV is Boring with a capital "B". It just SITS there, being lemony, woody and a tad spicy--in a nutshell, OV is mostly a soapy traditional scent and a bit thin on the base notes. This fragrance has none of the sparkle and beauty I would expect from a traditional scent made by a prestige house. I hesitate to suggest it as a good, all occasion, light and fresh fragrance because it is too expensive for what it is.

djolney's avatar

Aoud Flowers by Montale

Stuck in the middle between Black Aoud and Wild Aoud.

I regularly wear Black Aoud and Wild Aoud, and, as a consequence, Aoud Flowers strikes me as a neither here nor there fragrance. It neither has the aromatic burst and smoky dry down of Wild Aoud, nor the rich, barbaric opulence of Black Aoud.

The bergamot and geranium add a brightness to Aoud Flowers that does not gel with the rose and aoud heart. In Wild Aoud there is Artemisia to go along with the bergamot and geranium, and the extra note makes all the difference. While Aoud Flowers is pointlessly bright, Wild Aoud is aromatic and strident.

The teak and gaiac add a dry woodiness to the base of Aoud Flowers, which the musk never entirely integrates with. The base lacks the moist earth feel of black Aoud’s patchouli laden dry down, and lacks the smokiness and roundness that Wild Aoud gets from tobacco and amber.

Aoud Flowers is a fragrance in permanent tension: the pieces just don’t come together. It’s got all of the right Montale constituents, but I can’t give it better than a neutral rating.

Ivoire (original) by Pierre Balmain

I have avoided reviewing this because initially my reaction is very positive. This is a beautiful bright floral blend, one of only a few floral fragrances that I love right away. Then, like so many florals, it becomes soapy (I can live with this). However, it is in the drydown that this bright & pretty fragrance turns ugly & sour. Very sour. I purchased the pure parfum hoping that, in a different concentration, the sour note would vanish and I would be left with that beautiful blend. Nope...still sour. What a shame!

05 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 11th October, 2009)

Visa by Robert Piguet

I never had the pleasure of trying the original, so my review is for the new version which, I understand, was inspired by but not like the original. This new version is a fruity, but not too sweet, suede. The opening is all fruit, with an emphasis on pear. The second waive of fragrance reminds me a little bit of Dune, thin & arid. Next comes the suede, definately not leather, but a wonderful soft suede. And then, poof, gone! A little less fruit, a little more suede and a lot more longevity would make the new VISA a blockbuster! Order one of the Piguet reissues at robertpiguetparfums.com and get free samples of all of the reissued fragrances, including Cravache. Free shipping, too.

Fracas by Robert Piguet

I cannot get my arms around Fracas. It's way too big for me to handle! I have never smelled a bigger floral in my life. After the initial blast of varnish, I get a big whiff of gardenia.And then there is the tuberose which goes on forever! I am bowled over, literally, by this fragrance. This ode to flowers which went into wristlets of my youth seems a bit old fashioned. But I do understand why it creates a Fracas!

Ormonde Woman by Ormonde Jayne

Not really a perfume but more of an impression, Ormonde Woman is the clearing in a dense forest and the bubbling spring in that clearing. It is fresh and green without a hint of bitterness. It is as transparent as air. It astonishes me. I am smarter for the experience. Yet, I probably will never make a purchase, because the impression is too fleeting. To get any longevity would diminish the beauty. A truly amazing, but impracticable beauty!

busyguy7447's avatar

Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta by Acqua di Parma

This is my first review of a fragrance so forgive me if I am somewhat unsophisticated in my analysis. I like clean-smelling fragrances and sort of compare everything to Green Irish Tweed. I find CA to have a very classic sense of smell and proportion. I didn't get the "lemon pledge" smell that some others have mentioned, but I do get a whiff of rose on the drydown. Very classy-smelling fragrance that I can see wearing year round.♠

montmorency's avatar

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Finding myself near L'Artisan in Marylebone High Street the other day, I decided to see if Dzing! is all it is cracked up to be. It is supposed to have some leather in it, but all I could smell was ancient, decomposing elastoplast, the horrible flesh-pink, ace bandage variety that's been on your finger for far too long. A room frag for a museum of medical specimens, perhaps? I was relieved I had already spritzed myself with Timbuktu, and could leave the shop with a light heart.

Bartlebooth's avatar

Nicole Farhi Homme by Nicole Farhi

This is a fascinating production from Nicole Farhi, a fragrant kaleidoscope of exotic vegetal notes forever twisting and changing. The opening is slightly bitter, dry and devoid of sweetness, and it emits a soothing herbal quality that is pleasantly engaging. Beyond the opening, the heart notes are very restrained and the fragrance is contained and mellow despite the presence of colourful ingredients such as snow bark. About an hour in, I became intoxicated by the herbal and musk notes venting a wonderful aura around me. I discerned a vague blackberry hue to the dry down, coupled with an almost palpable spirit of incense. There are undoubtedly similarities with Issey Miyake Bleu, but really only in the early stages, beyond that, it really does come into its own. A very individual fragrance, charming and great fun to be around

Mar Azul's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

parfums*PARFUMS Series 6 Synthetic: Tar by Comme des Garçons

I pretty much like the description of this scent as "a modulation of vetiver into another key". Especially talking about "dry" and "earthy", except that here we're talking about oil, petroleum, coal, asphalt, rubber, almost pungent, very heavy and not aided by any "pleasant" note in whatever sense you may put into this word.For the first one or two hours I almost got headache wearing this. It's like you've put on a brand new cheap plastic/rubber/whatever synthetic raincoat or - to be literal - you're in the center of a renovated street with the asphalt still melting. I don't mind making strange impression or a strong statement to the world around me wearing this, if it wasn't that I myself would get dizzy wearing it. Still, I should add that I'm actually not a big fan of 'earthy' scents in general, if that makes little more sense.
    Anyway, after this pungent phase some surprisingly wearable synthetic notes come to light, more vynil than tar. They don't have any depth but still, after the initial torture it was a nice surprise to have them. This 'base' is quite resistant on clothes, I would say. Makes your cotton t-shirts smell like rubber boots. It just depends whether you want this effect or not.
    Speaking of complexity, smells to me like a single note which you cannot divide. I guess that's the concept.
    It might be a good idea to mix this scent with some floral/fruity/green or whatever more or less "naturally" smelling perfume comes to mind, just to add a bit of alien groove to it. But then, it's pretty much possible that you'll end up with something similar to Bulgari Black. Which leads me to the following description:
    Remove everything sweet, smokey, vegetal, flowery, profound and complex from Bulgari Black and you'd pretty much have CdG Tar.

lisalucille's avatar

Tabu by Dana

I purchased a miniature of Tabu to try it out. Yuck, yuck, yuck. Way too strong, too "something." I can usually at least stomach perfumes that I'm not real fond of. This one? Rancid to me. I had to scrub myself immediately, or I would have ended up with a splitting headache. Smells cheap, overpowering, obnoxious almost rancid. Bottom line is ..... I think this is the worst smelling perfume I have ever experienced.

TropiRock's avatar

360 Degrees for Men by Perry Ellis

Call me silly, but I think this is a wonderful fragrance from start to finish. The opening is definitely citrus, enhanced a bit by the juniper berry - sorry folks, but I don't smell alcohol at all as others have mentioned, just a bright/sweet citrus - and then after an hour or so the drydown becomes a nice woodsy smell (but not overbearing at all) with just a hint of the citrus. That hint of citrus eventually disappears, as 360's waning hours are filled with the woodsy sweetness. The longevity is great - many hours - and sillage is moderate. I have other colognes that cost 10+ times more, but I don't want price to cloud my judgement about what smells good and what does not. I would abandon some of those higher-priced fragrances before I would abandon 360 - simply because, in my nostrils, it has a better fragrance. I even like the watery blue color and the tall cylindrical bottle. Like I said, call me silly - but 360 is a winner in my book. For those of you that gave it a neutral or a thumbs-down, you're apparently in good company - my wife isn't all that crazy about 360, either. She says it's "OK", but nothing to write home about. The nerve of her. (Just kidding, she's a sweetie!!).