Fragrance Reviews from January 2010

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Thorpe for Men by Ian Thorpe

My bottle of Ian Thorpe says just that on the bottle, not "Thorpe for Men". Either way, the bottle I have is the same featured in this youtube bit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG1KHMM1b80

This smells almost exactly like Baldessarini by Hugo Boss, one of my all time favs. It is a sweet clean tobacco and vanilla scent that can be worn by women as well. This version from Thorpe does have an acquatic edge, which is quite interesting. It shines in hot waether but also does good in cold weather with a little heavy application. Ian Thorpe is an Autralian gold medal winning Olympic swimmer. I got a bottle of after shave spray and an EdP for almost nothing. Worth it if you can get it for a sweet deal as well.
    Similar frags: Aramis Life, St Dupont Noir

Opoponax by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

A terrific example of opoponax. This one is woody with a good dose of vanilla (it is a CSP, after all). Surprisingly good sillage and longevity for an old CSP.

I hope I come across a bottle someday....

Voleur de Ciels by Stéphanie de Saint-Aignan

I've loved Voleur de Ciels since I first sampled it almost two years ago, and finally - finally, I've got a bottle and can properly analyze it. I've never been one for note pyramids or lists when writing reviews, but they do help when the identity of a note or accord is right on the tip of your tongue. However, looking at VdC's note list doesn't help me at all - it fact it just doesn't seem right at all.

The notes per Luckyscent are: mint bouquet, Jasmin, milky notes, leather. Instead what I experience from the opening is a distinct tabac accord with subtle florals adding breadth (there is no distinct jasmine that I can detect). As the heart emerges there is some similarity with chypres in the sense that a mossy/woody note emerges that mimics oakmoss...but ultimately it's just a similarity. A distinct leatheriness that underlies the heart emerges as the base, along with a touch of muskiness. Longevity is fantastic, with hints of leather on my skin the next morning after application.

Overall Voleur de Ciels is certainly masculine but not harsh - it's certainly wearable by the kind of perfumista who wears Tabac Blonde or perhaps En Avion. As with other Stephanie de S-A perfumes, it's well constructed and superbly balanced. Unlike many new niche houses, the accords seem all original and the quality of materials is clearly evident. Excellent stuff....

Casmir by Chopard

Casmir is almost in a class by itself, I think. When I think about the notes reported in the pyramid and other reviewers comments, I can work my nose and brain into a general sort of agreement. But to me, the first and strongest association is toasted marshmallow... or toasted coconut, if I'm feeling more poetic about it. Very nice!

Dune by Christian Dior

I can't add much here. The previous reviewers hit this one dead on. Dune is deep, it's long lasting, and it is beautiful... but it's not really sweet, floral, fruity, or spicy. Kind of category of its own.

Something in the drydown reminds me of the sharp note I sometimes get in Magie Noire. Something like 'sour hay'. And sometimes it seems more animalic. Whatever, it is, Dune is outstanding, and no problem for a guy to wear, that's for sure.

Déclaration by Cartier

For once, I think I can actually agree with all the notes shown in the pyamid! Yes, cumin does smell like BO. Yes, juniper and artemisia really do smell a bit 'unclean'. But seriously, the cumin isn't that strong, and eventually the punch wears off.

I'll admit that I've never been a cumin fan, but Declaration has made me rethink my tolerance level and enjoy the 'evolution' of this fragrance. For those not accustomed to it, the ride can be a bit rough at the start. But with time, Declaration settles down into a nice, deep, rich and woody aura that really is worth the wait. Excellent, and a reminder of how wide the world of fragrance is, and how our perceptions do change over time.

mustangdude's avatar

Only The Brave by Diesel

Overpriced and not very manly, I find it a little bit strong but long lasting.

Lorettagrace's avatar

Emerald Dream by Estée Lauder

The way that, to me, Bronze Goddess smells like summer, Emerald Dream smells like spring. I know it's hard not to think "green" when it's actually called Emerald Dream, but it does smell green to me -- a little bit like rain, even a little bit like dirt, in the best possible way. It's just lovely. I don't get any of the fruit notes, nor can I pick out any particular flower.

By the way, when it first came in the mail, I was already wearing perfume and didn't want to put any on -- I was on my way out the door but I wanted to sniff it, so I sprayed some on a piece of paper. It smelled boring and ugly! It wasn't until it went on my skin that it smelled good.

There are some on ebay these days. Take a chance -- pick up a bottle, spray, and it'll be instant spring! Or better yet, don't.... I'll buy them all and keep them in the back of my freezer.

Theasylph's avatar

Cuba by Czech & Speake

This is a remarkable scent in that it immediately brought me an image of a sweaty, dirty old man. He'd be smoking cigars and reading newspapers with the radio on full blast. He'd be that kind of eccentric old man. This even smells like old mans breathe. It captures that metallic dried blood and tobacco smoke scent that ripens on old gums. This is my least favorite smell of all time but I am truly in awe and amazed that it could be replicated. It's revolting yet humorous. How did they get eau de old guy in a bottle? You gotta wonder.

I've got to say. Why buy this? Just get sweaty, light up a phatty and don't brush your teeth for a couple days... and you'll smell like Cuba in no time.

JessicaGrace's avatar

No. 22 by Chanel

Very "white" -- jasmine, tuberose, powder, vanilla, aldehydes like dry champagne. Classy stuff, no doubt, but somehow leaves me cold. There's a soapy note, and a relentless cleanness to it. The crisp, chic ambience reminds me a little of 31 Rue Cambon, but that one has more notes that remind me of warm skin, and I prefer it.

I see how others -- especially fans of white florals -- would like it, but when there are so many great Chanels (No. 5, No. 19, Bois de Iles, Cuir de Russie) I don't feel any pressing need for this one.

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

First-whiff impression: a rather potent sweet & spicy oriental, like an amped up version of Jacomo de Jacomo Rouge. It feels dense despite the eucalyptus' camphoraceous note's attempt to lift it up. As a result, the benzoin-driven sweetness seems suffocated, clawing its way up from the base right through the top notes and skirting a little too closely to cloying territory. I much prefer the scent 3 hours later when it feels more settled. Sillage is good and longevity a respectable 5-6 hrs on my skin.

At its best BODY KOUROS gets a Neutral from me as I prefer my sweet scents lighter and airier. In that respect, it faces tough competition in my wardrobe from the likes of Histoires de Parfums 1725, Jacomo Rouge and even Lanvin's Arpege pour Homme.

02 January, 2010 (Last Edited: 03 January, 2010)

Concentré D'Orange Verte by Hermès

Smells almost exactly the way the bottle looks - dark green body misted over by crisp orange effervescence with a little musky edge. Finding the love for this scent can't get any easier. If only the scent lasts twice as long.

granola357's avatar

Dolce Vita by Christian Dior

This is a lovely, cedarwood scent accented with rum-soaked fruit notes. The floral top notes disappear after five minutes, making this an ideal scent for guys who don't want another Terre d'Hermès-inspired wood fragrance. Luca and Tania say the reformulation is no good, but I haven't tried it.

02 January, 2010 (Last Edited: 23 February, 2010)

Lorettagrace's avatar

Covet Sarah Jessica Parker by Sarah Jessica Parker

To me, this smells like Flex brand Balsam and Protein shampoo, in the nicest of ways. I like it. I normally like gourmands and fruity florals, so a spicey risk like this one -- it's unusual that I'd like it, but I do.

Worth1969's avatar

Tuscany / Etruscan by Aramis

Warm, Spicy and Sexy power scent from the 80's. Virility reigns supreme on this one and the Ed Hardys and Sean Johns (little boy scents) will step aside. The sharp citrus and patchouli are countered nicely on this one with the amber and musk of the basenotes. This smells nothing like Drakkar Noir, as one reviewer noted, however it may be cut from the same cloth. For all its strength and brawn, Tuscany is never overpowering and is still very wearable in 2010.
    I have noticed, however, in the past 4 or 5 years, that the fragrance smelled a little drier and more sour. Recently, I was given a vintage bottle (made in the U.S.A.) as a gift and it smelled much more the way I remember it - fresh, warm and spicy.

Has anyone else noticed a change on this one?

At any rate, 2 thumbs up for Tuscany, a rich and invigorating fragrance.

03 January, 2010 (Last Edited: 08 March, 2010)

Redbeard's avatar

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Actually, M7 isn't as strong as I expected. It opens as a waxy, cherry-flavored wood...maybe a little reminiscent of the Arabic flavored tobacco they use in hookahs (I've smelled the cherry and strawberry versions). The undercurrent below the topnotes is a good polished wood scent, but I think it gets stifled by the fruit, almost like some kid smashed gummy cherry candies all over your flawlessly-polished hardwood coffee table and you can't scrape it all off. Since I don't know what oud smells like on its own, I must attribute to it the accord that strikes me as a sweeter version of the smell of the gardening section of a Kmart/Walmart/etc. There's always that one sweet earthy medicinal smell that lurks around the topsoil/plant food/pesticide aisle, and I don't know which it comes from, but after months of trying M7 on and off, I finally made the garden aisle connection when I sniff from up close. It's that smell, sweetened just slightly too much, that gets us into the "I'm trying too hard" anise/rootbeer/horehound regime. I always bitch about scents feeling too feminine for me (not that I'm Tarzan or anything), but M7 isn't as bad as I expected in that regard...rather unisex in a good way. But the sweetness of exotic confections and potting soil is just too much for me to carry around with me all day, though it gets more bearable with time; less cherry and garden chemicals, more spices and incense. Maybe in very low doses the base could pass for the residue of potpourri.

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

POUR MONSIEUR’s opening is certainly one of the most favored among traditionalists, conveying a sense of refinement and self-assuredness through a masterful blending of neroli, lemon and petitgrain. I actually prefer this gentlemenly style to the conventional tart, almost pungent citrus opening oft-associated with classic masculines such as Dior’s Eau Sauvage or Guerlain’s Habit Rouge.

Unfortunately, after 15-20 minutes Pour Monsieur’s quietly confident character turns into ‘shy and retiring’, the fragrance becoming more of a slightly mossy sandalwood skin scent with minuscule sillage. As much as I admire the top, the progression to drydown feels disappointingly weak for a masculine chypre leaving Pour Monsieur further down the pecking order behind Guerlain’s Mitsouko, Esencia de Loewe and I must agree with Vibert, even Chanel’s own Cristalle.

*** This review is of the EDT, circa 2009 ***

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

The bright citrus-y opening places ALLURE HOMME SPORT alongside the masses in the fresh genre. I figured a little more aldehydes might have at least added a more distinctive and powdery Chanel-like signature to the otherwise generic top.

As if in response to my unspoken wish, the scent grows progressively powdery, even soapy as the neroli comes into play and the aldehydes get a little more room to breathe. I don’t smell anything approaching spices or cedar but I rather like it as it is. For a sports fragrance, it does the job well even if price might be an issue.

Silver Shadow Altitude by Davidoff

A rather bracingly fresh aquatic with just a touch of green from juniper berry, its dewy texture reminding me somewhat of Angel Schlesser Homme’s wet leaves accord. But SILVER SHADOW ALTITUDE gets airier and a little sweet, though not quite as spicy as the notes might suggest. I agree this is one of Davidoff's finest - worthy of a sniff and then some.

welsh terrier's avatar

Homme de Grès by Grès

I like scents that are not sweet,this herbaceous lemon fragrance is an ideal everyday office scent.

Balavassassin's avatar

Tabac Original by Mäurer & Wirtz

Listen, I'm gonna give this product a thumbs up bias and germane of the fact that I do Indeed! admire it's complex nature! Though with a contrast verdict of personally inclined tastes It doesn't do much! :(:(

For a vast moment of time it seriously reminds me of Caron PH, it's intimidatingly scary, the thrust and
    deluged plunge of lavender is the main cause of this proclamation. Lusting amongst it's regions foreshadows a mild note of citrus derivatives, These somberly follow through with a note of Concise vanilla spices, Alas! I do Indeed feel the heat of Animalic precautions, To me this really does cause a
    omnipresence of some of the base notes acting as a coagulator.

So, for a conclusion. It is saccharine on my skin and I suggest you don't blind buy this but please do make sure you try it. A beautifully crafted cologne, though as mentioned before, for me, It's tending to
    many animalic scents and combine with lavender it just doesn't agree with my skins chemistry!

Paper - 4.5/5
    Complexity - 5/5
    Sillage - 4.5/5
    Skin - 3.5/5

- Balava

hester's avatar

South Africa South Africa

Pure White Linen by Estée Lauder

Well lookee here, they kinda did A Scent by Issey Miyake three years before he did! I only consciously smelled Pure WL today, and though the start is less vegetal and more floral than that of A Scent, after half an hour or so, the basic bones are much the same, I find. BUT the vegetal-ness is what I crave about A Scent, so this is a no buy. Pure WL is very very nice, the epitome of non-offensive modern clean department store fragrances. I can't imagine anyone hating it... or craving it. And that list of notes, please, it's all so seemless I couldn't possibly identify a single one.

cid1204's avatar

Czech Republic Czech Republic

DKNY Men (New) by Donna Karan

Non offensive fresh citric scent, with hardly detectable drydown and poor lasting power. Smells like if it DK made for Avon (no offense). No reason to buy for a full price (or at all).

Vetiver by Guerlain

With so many excellent reviews preceding mine what can I really add? As you've figured out, Guerlain Vetiver is a blend of citrus, tobacco, and vetiver. Not the strongest vetiver for those of you who like pungency or earthiness, but excellent for anywhere-anytime use.

I will add the following tidbit: if you can find vintage Guerlain Vetiver EDC grab it! It's quite different from today's formula with a distinct, bracing vetiver note and only dashes of citrus and tobacco in the background. Don't let the 'edc' concentration scare you off - it's stronger then today's EdT.

betterthanrandom's avatar

Euphoria Men by Calvin Klein

I don't know why everyone doesn't like this fragrance.. I mean sure.. it's generic.. but unless you're around professional noses all day I'm not sure it matters how generic it smells.. Personally, I love how balanced it is between sweetness and manlieness.. because i hate scents that are too in-your-face masculine and I also dislike ones that are too feminine. I

catbirdptp's avatar

D&G L'Imperatrice 3 by Dolce & Gabbana

Wow. Some of the previous reviews were really harsh! D&G L'Imperatrice 3 is certainly a surprising scent which may have caused the terrible reactions. Looking at the simple sophisticated bottle and light pink/lavender liquid inside I thought it would be a very grown up scent. On the contrary, 3 is like the little rebellious sister of the Dolce and Gabbana bunch. I would not call it a complex or extremely impressive fragrance but it is fun. 3 is a very girly fragrance (the fact that it may have been marketed to men is ridiculous to me) because of the fruitiness of it. It really reminds me of a shampoo, which is not necessarily a bad thing. I think it smells like shampoo because of the way that all of the notes combine into one single fruity scent which is not muddled, making it smell clean and refreshing. This scent is very bright and almost sharp because of how strong the kiwi and grapefruit notes are. For all of these reasons, this scent might not appeal to everyone, especially people who only love powdery or woodsy orientals. But for these same reasons this may be a great scent for girls not ready to dive into the world of Chanel or Versace but ready to step back from the Escadas and body spritzes in their bathrooms to try something new. It is also a wonderful scent for people who need a perfume that is cheery and energizing. It is currently the dead of winter in my hometown and i really needed a spritz of something that would remind me of the summer and wake me up. 3 did just that, it reminded me of the sunny days of summer while still being a rather wearable fragrance for the winter time.

imrickjames118's avatar

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

First of all, I don't get the sillage or longevity everybody claims of le male. This being said, I find Le Male a fantastic fragrance. It opens up with a very minty smell that is a little bit reminiscent of barbershop soap. When it dries down, the mint subsides a little and a very nice vanilla comes through that losts the rest of the time. I can't stop smelling myself when I have this on...i love this stuff!

glitteralex's avatar

Urban Musk by Tom Ford

I am winging it here, without peeking at the notes or other reviews, so bear with me...Mint, dry horse poo, vanilla & spice. At first, all these notes compete-they do not synthesize until later on, at which point Urban Musk becomes fresh, pleasant, and comforting. In no way should this be compared to the horsey quality of animalic scents like La Nuit by Rabanne, where the animal scent is of warm skin and fur. This is definitely fecal, too much so for me, but luckily the indolic note fades after about 15 minutes, leaving only a soft, dry hay in its wake. The mint persists throughout but lessens in sweetness and takes on more of a Basil feel as some powdery florals show up in the heart. This fragrance should have some type of country-farm-in-the spring moniker instead of Urban Musk, which implies a sleek & metallic aroma. Sillage is discreet, longevity good. Easily unisex. While I am not sure if I would wear it, I give it thumbs up for originality and a well-constructed drydown.

Adama's avatar

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

This stuff is so sweet that it makes my teeth hurt. The base seems to be a tangy and synthetic strawberry/cherry which smells a lot like candy and/or medicine with a hint of musky wood that makes it a bit more of a cologne, rather than a young girls body spray.

Adama's avatar

Love and Luck for Men by Ed Hardy [Christian Audigier]

I couldn't believe it when I first got a whiff of this stuff. It smells EXACTLY like Unforgivable, EXACTLY. Pass on this one, it isn't worth it.