Fragrance Reviews from January 2010

merry.waters's avatar

Egypt Egypt

Eau de Pamplemousse Rose by Hermès

Once more a velvety musky woody base I can't stand at all. The grapefruit is faint and gone fast. The fragrance shows minimalism in plugging some grapefruit knock-off-alike on top of xx% enigmatic Iso E Super. Other don't dislike that undertone as much as I do. Maybe I'm out for lunch regarding the contemporary art of perfumery.

To chow down a real grapefruit - low carb either - could be a delighting fun too, what exemplifies my individual sophistication with oddities like this one. Longing for alternatives ain't a challenge, as far as my wisdom holds.

13 January, 2010

khalid's avatar

Flor de Blason by Myrurgia

I bought this perfume back in the early 1970's. It was intoxicating! I cannot find it anymore. Can you tell me where I can purchase it? I live in Minneapolis MN.

13 January, 2010

JaimeB's avatar

Divine Bergamote by Different Company

Citrus is not something I usually think of in the same context as rhubarb. Ginger, on the other hand is a possibility; I remember a little fresh juice joint that made a mix of orange, carrot, ginger, and beet juices — surprisingly yummy. The woody notes, orange blossom, and green notes make up a curious heart note for this. Rhubarb and musk make an odd base note as well. The whole thing is offbeat and kind of bare-bones, in the characteristic minimalist style of J-C Ellena. But off-beat is not at all bad, just different, and maybe even refreshing... And the rhubarb and citrus did smell a bit familiar: now I recall Ungaro Apparition Homme and its Apparition Homme Intense flanker, with their top notes of rhubarb and mandarine. But the TDC has none of the oriental notes of AH Extreme or the licorice and vetiver base of AH. Bergamote is softer and more powdery in the dry down, not at all unpleasant. Full marks to this for having the guts to be a little bit out-there.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Chypre de Coty by Coty

WOW! I ponder the date 1917, and I believe one of my late grandparents was born that year...
    What amazes me about this fragrance is when it comes to my nose, I close my eyes and a flood of perfumes that sprang from Chypres' DNA rush through my mind! Unbelievable, the smell of it's history. Really, one needs to put into perspective that we are experiencing this smell "after the fact/effect". If not for this gorgeous blend, another masterpiece by the name of Mitsouko wouldn't exist, not to mention countless others that followed. In this way, as the supply of Chypre dwindles and eventually dies, it lives on via the lineage of its offspring. I respect this frag. Actually, my emotion is more of reverence.
    Will I wear this one regularly? Nah. There are plenty more modern scents suitable for my taste. But, this one is the grandparent to many of them. No doubt in my mind, thumbs up!

odysseusm's avatar

Knize Ten by Knize

This is a complex and intriguing scent. The opening is too brief on my skin. It is a short burst of bergamot and pine-like rosemary. The middle has some woody notes but is mostly floral (orris and rose in particular) and spicy. The combination of scents here is a bit soapy (even rubbery) and barbershop-like; it is pleasant in an old-school way. The scents deepen. I wondered if the sweetness would become overwhelming… then it stepped back and a most interesting bitter-aromatic note took over. Perhaps this is due to the castoreum. I like this note, it is beautiful and even haunting. It is a good counterpoint to the sweetness of the amber and vanilla. The overall effect is poised and elegant. The final dry down is old leather and a return of the orris. I’m not a fan of those elements, and yet I enjoy the scent. At this point I can’t say it is bottle-worthy for me, but I certainly find a lot to appreciate.

pinkpoppies's avatar

Kim Kardashian by Kim Kardashian

I smelled this in the latest issue of Glamour magazine and thought, "Great, another Fracas / Michael Kors cologne". I think I've had the wrong idea all along by working at a boring job for a paycheck - I should simply slap my name on a bottle of tuberose scent and sit back and rake in the dough. I'm getting tired of all the tuberose fragrances everywhere these days.

bokaba's avatar

Portugal by Geo F Trumper

A basic eau de cologne with sweet orange and musk. Nothing exciting here and not worth buying. I would suggest C&S Neroli instead.

DULLAH's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Wellington Cologne by Geo F Trumper

This is alot like Blenheim Bouquet, less stern and slightly lower quality.
    A very fresh citrus/eiucalyptus/pine that could have used some warm and natural floral or wood notes. But definitely for those looking for a sweeter, funner version of Blenheim Bouqet

SirSlarty's avatar

MCM Success by MCM

A demure 80's fragrance. All the class, style and structure of the 80's powerhouse fragrances except it is calm and light-hearted. Not heavy though I dare not wear in the heat. It's basically a leather and oakmoss scent with a smoked honey essence to it. I like it for the fact it's a toned-down classic.

saxifrage's avatar

Bois de Cédrat by Creed

Truly beautiful fragrance, I want to marinate in this stuff. Delicious, zesty citrus aroma interspersed with a dry cedarwood aroma and a slight chemical note that smells a bit like petroleum. It's not offensive in this case. This scent also lacks that ambergris/musk accord in many Creeds that I detest.

Sillage and longevity are pathetic on both fronts, but oh, the hour or so you wear it is worth it.

saxifrage's avatar

Sélection Verte by Creed

Not bad at all, in fact, it's rather delicious. A wonderful minty-like combination. In effect, it's what Penhaligon's "Extract of Limes" should be. Excellent longevity. The lime and mint accord at the beginning shines through for a long time, and unlike other citrus fragrances, it doesn't dive into the realm of bathroom disinfectant. I think the ambergris at the base keeps it steady and doesn't allow it to completely burn off. It also lends a sweetness to it that might counteract the fatigue of lime.

It's actually rather surprising, as I tend to loathe that bug-spray-nausea-inducing ambergris-musk accord found in so many Creeds (Green Irish Tweed, Silver Mountain Water, Millesime Imperial, Green Valley, etc.). In this case, it's ratcheted down just enough to where I like it.

Sunnyfunny's avatar

Lady Stetson by Stetson

I finally decided to try Lady Stetson, my curiosity on its resemblance to No. 22 finally getting the better of me. Well, I lovelovelove 22 edt, but that's not what LS is akin to-- it's the pure parfum. They share the same very powdery aldehyde opening, and also some of the same white flowers-- maybe gardenia? Different is the sweetness in Lady Stetson's opening, which reminds me a little of the peach in Petite Cherie. I prefer 22 edt to the parfum because of the superfluity of liturgical incense, making it easily the most beautiful thing I have yet sniffed. LS doesn't have any incense and therefore lacks the depth of either 22 formula, but it is still elegant and quite pretty.

voidvader's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Minotaure by Paloma Picasso

Quite a feminine scent. The florals here are generic and nothing special. I´ve smelled a thousand of female scents like minotaure base...Neutral, because it´s a good smell, but not for me.

Late-Hit's avatar

Lapidus pour Homme by Ted Lapidus

Wow-eeee! If I was the target of a home invasion and all I had for defense was my fragrance collection, THIS would be my weapon of choice. Only the most criminally deranged could take three blasts and stay conscious.

Imagine the mutant hybrid of Joop! and Kouros. To call it strange, penetrating, and disturbingly persistent is an understatement. Even if you like the fragrance, a tiny amount seems to radiate forever, so handle this one with extreme care or you will be sorry.

Bay Rum by Burt's Bees

This is one of the worst colognes I have ever smelled. It is nothing but a loud, spicy, boozy mess. It would be put to better use in a shot glass, or used to treat minor cuts and scrapes.

Why would I ever want to smell like this? So people will think I bathed in Scotch and then rolled around in patchouli plants?

14 January, 2010 (Last Edited: 16 January, 2010)

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This is probably the most animalic fragrance I have ever smelled. It smells like it’s made almost exclusively of bodily fluids and animal secretions, with just a touch of floral notes and spice to sweeten it and prevent it from smelling like someone’s crotch.

Although Muscs Koublai Khan is animalic, it doesn’t smell dirty or disgusting at all. It blends beautifully with skin probably because it smells like skin – warm, tanned skin with fresh sweat. More like “body smell” than B.O..

I’m not a big fan of Serge Lutens’ fragrances because most of the ones I’ve sampled seem more like overblown, self-indulgent showpieces rather than scents that can be actually worn comfortably. Muscs Koublai Khan, however, is an outstanding, fascinating and totally unique scent that is both extremely masculine and extremely feminine. It’s the kind of scent that seems to mold itself to its wearer – you really don’t need to have a certain personality or look to successfully pull off wearing this.

This really is a one of a kind fragrance, and something truly special.

One Man Show by Jacques Bogart

Almost hilariously rough and crude, One Man Show's opening accord is a horrible, jarring blast of synthetic mayhem, like having a can of Yard Guard sprayed in your face. I don't know what Bogart was thinking in creating an opening accord like this. From beginning to end, OMS smells highly synthetic, a bit cheap, and muddled; none of its notes really shine or glimmer, like they would in a good Creed or Guerlain fragrance. The only natural ingredient I can detect would be clove or Artemisia. I also agree with other reviewers who say that OMS doesn’t really evolve much, that its crudeness remains pretty static throughout its duration. I don't even consider this to be a loud or a particularly bold fragrance either.

So why do I give this a thumbs up? I’ll tell you why – because after the awful opening accord fades, One Man Show maintains this stark, brooding, gray, distant, cold spiciness unlike any fragrance I have ever smelled. It is both fascinating and disturbing at the same time. This is a fragrance for the Industrial Age, because there is an almost mechanical coldness to the whole scent that lasts for hours.

And you know what is most amazing about One Man Show? Despite all this bleakness, OMS is a very wearable fragrance. At a distance, it comes across as being spicy and aromatic, but it’s got a certain weirdness to it that is impossible to pin down.

Even if you never actually wear this, One Man Show is worth purchasing simply to add an anomaly to your existing fragrance collection.

14 January, 2010 (Last Edited: 06 March, 2010)

Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This is a very dark, dusty patchouli and chocolate fragrance that could have been great if it were better constructed. I love scents with prominent patchouli, and the patchouli is very strong in this. I also am glad that the chocolate note here is dark and bitter, not sweet and cloying like in some gourmand fragrances (yuck!). But Borneo 1834 smells like two separate fragrances sitting adjacent to one another. I find myself savoring the patchouli note, and then savoring the chocolate note. These two main notes are poorly blended and fail to create a seamless accord. I feel like I'm turning my head back and forth in my own mind, trying to smell two different scents consecutively, over and over. Smelling this over time is frustrating and annoying.

Borneo 1834 could have been so much better, but turned out to be yet another self-indulgent, overrated niche release.

smoking cat's avatar

Germany Germany

Antaeus by Chanel

I think that Antaeus is one of the 80ies masculines which are effortlessly wearable today. Its style may be dated, but at least in this case the fact that it is still successful and widely available speaks for its timeless quality. An intense yet at the same time surprisingly gentle, mellow fragrance with an elegant, refreshing and distinguished character. Let's open the cigar box...

14 January, 2010 (Last Edited: 20th March, 2010)

wooznib's avatar

Zirh Ikon by Zirh

I received Zirh Ikon as a Christmas present and I really enjoy this fragrance. The opening is spicy/cinnamon that turns into an incense/wood. Like some of the reviewers here I think it feels like a refined "Obsession" or similar 80's fragrance. It is a very comfortable fragrance and would be suitable for office use. It's also a fragrance that women like to come in closer for a better sniff. Decent longevity and leaves a nice scent trail.

Balavassassin's avatar

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

I find this frag fresh...re inviting to a cool breeze yet..pretentiously synthetic. A dissapointment, just lacks character for me :(. Not chameleon enough in my opinion, though would make a great summer frag!

A Neutral Verdict for me!

Balavassassin's avatar

David Beckham Pure Instinct by Beckham

Is a synthetic monster with synthetic moss...arrghh..I really do need to use the word "synthetic" Oftenly.
    A dissapointment!

Susy's avatar

Aimez-Moi by Caron

What a graceful scent Aimez Moi is -- and I would say, sophisticated. It is not a floral scent - it's somewhat powdery, although that's not exactly the word I would use to describe it...Hmm, let me put it this way. The perfume's color is gold, and somehow this perfume smells golden. If sunlight had a smell, I think Aimez-Moi would be it. There's a hint of spice, but not a sweet spice; it's amber and anise with just a touch of clove.

The scent is soft, and yet assertive. It doesn't announce itself like some stronger perfumes do, but it floats up on the wearer. There is a warmth to it. It seems to last well, staying close to the body, where a perfume belongs. I receive many compliments and/or "what perfume are you wearing?'" when I wear Aimez-Moi, and to me, that's the greatest testimonial anyone can give a perfume.

bloody frida's avatar

My Insolence by Guerlain

I bought a bottle when it first came out (along w/V Absolu). It's the kind of fragrance I can wear when I'm not in the mood to be in love with something.

bloody frida's avatar

L'Air de Rien by Miller Harris

Absolutely love it - in fact, after wearing a sample I had to buy a whole bottle. It makes me think - no, hope - that the Maria Schneider character in "The Last Tango in Paris" may have worn it.

Harlequin's avatar

Original Vetiver by Creed

The only problem I see with Original Vetiver is the price. It is expesive so whether or not it is worth having this cologne is up to you. This is an uplifting cologne in that whenever I smell it, I feel happy. Sounds a little silly. The cologne also gives a fresh, out-of-the-shower feeling. Some argue that this smells similar to Thierry Mugler Cologne. I haven't sampled TMC so I cannot compare the two. However, even if it is similar to TMC, the frangrance will stand out in the sea of Armanis, JPGs, Guerlains, Bvlgaris, and so forth.

Reddeeratnight's avatar

Comme des Garçons 3 by Comme des Garçons

Love it!!!
    This has been on my list of CdG's to buy and now I have it.
    I think it is what CdG does best and that is to create something great out of nothing or something new out of something familiar.
    I always refer to the scent as "grapefruit" - sweet but not overly sickly sweet more natural than manufactured with a bitter tinge
    I have a few other CdG perfumes in the cupboard - lately they seem to bring out perfumes which kinda smell similar to each other but this being an older scent smells like nothing before.
    I hope they bring out something truly inspirational like this one soon!

Relent de Chevalerie's avatar

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

This was my first cologne and, perhaps, my first blind buy. Being madly in love with a young woman who was wearing Obsession for women, I bought CK’s version for men out of love for her and became enchanted by its perfume. Yes, I had, once and for all, discovered that smelling more than sweat hiding behind a deodorant could not only be manly but alluring as well.

The first notes surprised me as I could definitely catch the citrus smell of mandarin with something behind I couldn’t really put my finger on. When the whole came to transform itself into what I now realize to be spices dancing around a timid smell of lavender and myrrh, I was fascinated. Later on, as it was, unbeknownst to me, going towards its drydown, I began noticing impromptu visits of a scent I swear was chocolate! When the drydown revealed itself to me, I had already become, simply put, addicted. (Please observe how I refrained from using the word obsessed). Still, I couldn’t agree more with those saying that Obsession by CK was perfectly named. Regardless, I must add here that this is one of the best drydown I have had the pleasure to experience, on myself or others.

This dance I mentioned is as much about comfort as it is about troubles. To me, it’s what romance could smell like. The various elements of this fragrance come to you in waves only to be sapped by something else behind it, not unlike a lover who’d be torn between expressing a blind passion or remain ‘reasonable’. To refrain from it only to be tempted again and again... There’s warmth yet, under it, lies the threat of something cold. This whole conflict gets interrupted by unrelated things intermixing with these reflections. The hints of chocolate I get, making phantom appearances in all this, are wonderful as they add to the story. It’s like being blindly in love and dying to confess it to the object of our passion yet being constantly haunted by the risk of rejection. In this torment, in guise of comfort, we absent-mindedly grab a piece of chocolate, still enrapt in our dilemma. It also evokes to me something similar to having left someone we thought was boring only to find ourselves missing this person and realizing how much that one was really worth, how perfect for us this individual was. We thought it was over but it’s far from being so. This whole permutation of these dual elements, making you aware of themselves in the middle notes, just can’t be shaken off until the drydown comes in.

More! Almost every time I wear this cologne, when everything has vanished, I still can get a hint of cinnamon. It’s not in the pyramid but I definitely get its scent and love this as it completes the drama; after having fixated all night on this, the sun rises… The elegance in the balance of the drydown -which I simply am in love with- leads me to believe that, whatever was this passionate anguish related to, it came to an end in which the right choice, harmony, finally prevailed. It’s now time for breakfast… Cinnamon and raisins pastries anyone?

All this to say, even though years have passed and some see Obsession for men as outdated, I nevertheless regard it as being not only the best CK has ever produced but, to this day, still enjoy wearing it. Here in China, it isn’t something readily available on the market so I have to find different ways and means to get it. It’s unfortunate as I feel they don’t know what they’re missing. Then again, I can understand that people, now, are on the lookout for the newest crave rather than appreciating what is often seen as passé, unfortunately. It seems to me that classics are, sadly and for way too many, simply things of the past…

rosbif's avatar

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

Dior Homme is my Prince Charming, the love of my life. Stunningly elegant and refined, I take it out into the word with a striking iris that turns heads. Yet its soft, powdery smile and warm leather whisper make it wonderfully intimate and loving. This is the perfume I sleep in. *****

14 January, 2010 (Last Edited: 30th November, 2013)

Oldspice's avatar

The Dreamer by Versace

This dream became a nightmare.

I started out not minding wearing this one but grew to really dislike it before the first 1/4 of the bottle was used. The tobacco note is interesting - there is the unmistakable smell of a freshly opened pack of cigarettes. Tobacco base aside, this is a loud, obnoxious, chemical smelling fragrance even during the drydown. Nothing about this strikes me as being particularly masculine. In fact I see this as being something suited to a teenage girl.

I got a single enthusiastic compliment on this one from an older, chain-smoking woman no doubt just subconsciously excited about the smell of a new pack of marlboros.

15 January, 2010