Fragrance Reviews from January 2010

Late-Hit's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Wow, what a disappointment. All this talk about 'gourmand' made me think that A*Men was going to be something tasty. Oh no... I actually wanted to wash it off! I like B*Men a lot, and it's easy to detect hints of B*Men buried deep in the structure of A*Men. But there's more. Much more. And here's how I think I'd make A*Men, if I was the perfumer...

Since Armani Attitude is pretty much a watered-down version of B*Men I'd start with that. Then, I'd stir in some cocoa powder and the black sludge that's burned in the bottom of the coffee pot before adding stale beer from the mens room floor of a bar at 1 am. No, I'm not joking. That's A*Men.

And yet, a lot of people truly enjoy A*Men. Do our noses really work the same? I almost can't believe it's true,

JessicaGrace's avatar

Ivoire (original) by Pierre Balmain

At first this disappointed me. I had heard it called a green chypre and compared to Chanel 19, which I adore, and was looking for something similarly chic, aloof, and complicated. Ivoire suffers by the comparison; on first test I found it cheap and sanitary.

I liked it better when I gave it a second test on it's own terms. After the alcohol burns off the top, it is sweet like skin freshly scrubbed with soap, with a recognizable hyacinth note that I love. It is green, yes, but barely a chypre, with no mossy or funky notes. Galbanum warms up nicely over time. The drydown is mild sandalwood and a fruity note that reminds me of a raspberry lotion I had as a pre-teen.

It's a fresh and cheerful scent that reminds me of a cleaner, simpler time in my life. Wearing it now makes me a little sad. I took a nap yesterday with my Ivoire-dabbed wrist against my nose, listening to the neighbor's children play outside and dreaming of someone I'm not anymore.

19 January, 2010 (Last Edited: 31st January, 2010)

JessicaGrace's avatar

Knize Ten by Knize

Weird. So many reviews warn not to over-apply this, and I was expecting a powerhouse. Maybe I got a bad sample? I smell a little bit of astringent green and a little bit of soft leather, and something tart and powdery that makes me think of Sweet Tarts candy. Within minutes on my skin, it's all gone. My fleeting impression is of something well-mannered and melancholy, but really -- there's nothing there!

Puzzling.

shamu1's avatar

Acqua di Selva by Visconti di Modrone

Acqua di Selva is one of my favorite fragrances. It's also one of the greenest smelling scents I know. Oakmoss is the dominant note in this, and it provides both intense greenness and a bit of warmth to the whole scent. The oakmoss blends perfectly with the herbal elements here, resulting in a true beauty of a fragrance.

There is one caveat however. Perhaps it’s just my own skin, but I’ve found that AdS must be first applied on clean, unscented skin. Do not attempt to spray this on midday after having already applied some other scent earlier in the day. Do that, and you will be inhaling the fumes of boiled peas and spinach for at least an hour. It’s a nasty smell and very odd, but odysseusm’s comments below about the smell of cabbage are accurate. This anomaly is the only reason I'm not giving AdS a 10 out of 10 rating.

I think Acqua di Selva's longevity is very good. I can still smell this pretty strongly six or seven hours after applying it, but then again I like to spray this on pretty hard. Provided you applied this earlier, if your skin doesn't hold on to this scent for long you can easily reapply AdS without offending others or yourself.

Maybe I'm gushing, but I can't adequately describe in words how much I love this scent. It never fails to lift my spirits every time I wear it. I hope this never goes out of production.

MY RATING: 9.5/10

19 January, 2010 (Last Edited: 11th August, 2010)

Hartman Design's avatar

Helmut Lang Eau de Cologne by Helmut Lang

As other reviewers have attested, this is certainly a creamy fougere that clings close to the skin and retains a nice masculine and refined presence. I don't get the butter at all; on my skin it's more akin to a honey & fig aroma, with a rooty, musky undercurrent. After a few minutes the heavy powder of the opening begins to fade and an exquisite floral enters into the mix. This cologne certainly has a distinctive progression; it's a great scent for many scenarios, as the longevity is decent and the wearer is afforded a pleasant experience without Lang-bombing anyone nearby.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Cameo by Sonoma Scent Studio

Discontinued in 2008 but now back in the line-up, by popular demand.

Cameo starts off a little vintage-musty, mostly roses with notes of violet. The violet departs soon enough, the rose gaining prominence but there is a sour tinge to it which hints at something animalic. While this isn’t exactly my favorite part of the scent development, it intrigues me well enough to hold my attention as it evolves further to incorporate elements of masculine woods and musk. I rather enjoy this juxtaposition of musky roses against dry woods – it feels complex and sophisticatedly grown-up, even if it comes across a little dowdy at times.

Notes:
    rose, violet, ambergris, labdanum absolute, oakmoss, orris, sandalwood, cedar, musk.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Jour Ensoleillé by Sonoma Scent Studio

I’m sensitive to indoles so I wasn’t expecting to like this at all. But wow! What a beautiful scent! This subtly indolic chypre is highly reminiscent of Jean Patou’s Mille but minus the skank. That's a good thing in my books.

Elaborating on the inspiration behind this scent, Laurie talked of her earlier days riding horses, surrounded by oaks and admiring the glow of the setting sun on distant hills. Jour Ensoleillé captures this mood perfectly for it feels very much like Mother Nature’s own sunny embrace. Outstanding!

Notes:
    orange blossom, neroli, tuberose, jasmine, beeswax absolute, labdanum absolute, myrrh, sandalwood, ambergris, vetiver, green leaves, oakmoss absolute.

MrFragranceReview's avatar

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

this is by far one of the worst fragrances I had the displeasure of smelling. I sprayed it on my arm since a friend owned it and immediately regretted it. I kept getting whiffs of it on occasion and finally had to scrub it off it was so off putting.

HammerFist's avatar

Open by Roger & Gallet

Like everyone else says, it's too "soapy" and the beginning is too strong (but is pleasant). However, when it settled down, I did not like the synthetic smell. This isn't a particularly bad cologne, but you should not buy this one without trying!

dmitri99's avatar

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

Bear with me, this is my first review. This cologne still smells great 30 some years after I first fell in love with it in college. It still has a small but really revolutionary aspect about it (I think it's the basil). Whatever it is, I still wear it, especially on warm spring/summer days. Definitely a classic.

merry.waters's avatar

Egypt Egypt

Comme des Garçons 2 Man by Comme des Garçons

Starting with lots of incense, caraway, anise, cardamon the like, smoke, faint sweetness, dry warmth. It reminds me of nights at the campfire, baking potatoes in it, peeling the partly burnt rind off. In my conception it's a twisted gourmand. The spices are right away edible, well done in the oven, often applied to baked potatoes in at least Germany.
    An odd idea, instantiated well. The liking is a matter of taste, though. I definitely would like to smell as if I have had an adventurous night out in the fields occasionally (dating, opera etc. ... ;-)

It lasts for about 60 minutes on me sprayed liberally. After that period it dragged me down to present time. The base is - for my nose - plain Iso E Super. Some 0-dimensional odor, others describe as velvety, woody, musky etc. I can't stand it. At least that highly appreciated scent of autumnal campfire has blown away then. What a pity! The choking velvet aftermath bothers me to much, I simply ain't able to give it even one more try.

morrison74's avatar

Scotland Scotland

Aqua di Roma Uomo by Laura Biagiotti

I found this to be more floral and fruity than aquatic....citrus/watermelon with touch of rose...average silage and longevity. Nothing to write home about, but then again this is not my type of scent.

gistmei5's avatar

Gris Clair by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Tried this today it opened like Givenchy Pi with a touch of menthol then starts to smell really hot, overall I think it is a winter fragrance

poppacooter's avatar

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

gives me a headache, i tried it twice and both times it gave me a headache.

the second time i even sprayed it on a q-tip and lightly put it on my neck and one wrist, i went very lightly and it still gave me a headache.

i wish it did not do this to me because it is liked well among the ladies but it is a no go for me. =(

i hear it is made with a lot of synthetics maybe that is why it gives me a headache, i'm not sure.

poppacooter's avatar

Intuition for Men by Estée Lauder

this is a nice smelling cologne for men, my wife enjoys it and she is very picky due to the fact she suffers from migraines and i got to be careful of what i wear.

it is a lite clean smelling cologne, i don't get any musk which is cool because all my other colognes have musk and they all begin to smell the same after a while but this one stays unique.

yes it could be used on male or female but so could creed green irish tweed and no one seems to complain about that.

if your looking to break away into something unique and different that women due seem to enjoy this is it.

i bought it due to a recommendation from the girl behind the store counter and i have no regrets. and i would definetly recommend it to a friend.

2 thumbs up!!!!!!

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

Wow, masculine and potent powerhouse scent that walks side by side with classics such as Azzaro PH, YSL Kouros, CK Obsession for men etc. This scent is gorgeous, it strikes me so that I wonder how can all these houses that created such miracles, today create swettend alcohol scents unworthy of even inexperienced nose. Zino is a must try, Zino is a must have. Period.

Update: Armani Attitude is often mistaken for Zino, indeed Attitude does seem to be quite a good copy of Zino despite the fact that the pyramid notes are different.

19 January, 2010 (Last Edited: 07 January, 2011)

Séxual pour Homme by Michel Germain

I disliked this from the first sniff – it smells too much like Eternity, which I dislike. “Sexual” is not what I was expecting at all. This is blunt and unsubtle with aggressively generic accords that makes even Eternity seem subtle. The opening of Sexual presents the top and the heart levels of the fragrance all at once. This opening combination is just plain horrid: Basil, citrus, petitgrain, and lavender make for an opening of excessively heavy clumsiness. The melon and gardenia that are claimed to be there might have mitigated the abrupt crudeness of the opening, but they are overwhelmed by the generic lavender. That lavender also extends into the base where it mixes with the vanilla and tonka to form another unpleasant accord.

With its name, Sexual should have something signaling some sort of sensuality or passion… nothing of the sort.

19 January, 2010 (Last Edited: 15 January, 2011)

Diorissimo by Christian Dior

With my initial testing of this, my first thought was “Whoa, LILY OF THE VALLEY… in spades! It was a remarkably real and natural lily of the valley note, strong, with a simple touch of green… to me this seemed almost like a soliflore lily of the valley. The next seven - eight times I tested left me befuddled and unsatisfied: The opening and heart were primarily green with some bergamot and a little lily of the valley. After the green settles down some, I pick up the amaryllis, I think, and possibly some lilac… but the lily of the valley is highly limited and I get no floral jasmine, although I definitely get an indole or civet note. The sandalwood stays in the background while the civet or indole-of-jasmine(?) quietly moves in and out of the green / floral accord.

What happened to the lily of the valley? It was so dominant and clear the first time… after that, nada!

It still turns out to be a pleasant fragrance but I would very much prefer that killer lily of the valley fragrance I smelled the first time.

19 January, 2010 (Last Edited: 14 November, 2011)

chorando's avatar

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

At it's heart B*Men is a burnt homemade bread and butter pudding with a rhubarb coulis. It's as though you've just taken out your prize winning pud from the oven to present it yet again at the annual summer fete - think Womens Institute - only to find you've left it in the oven a tad too long. In that hideous unbelieving Stepford wife moment you get the rising whiff of burnt sultanas and wipe your hands repeately on your gingham apron while you myopically fixate on the sure knowledge that Mrs Mcgillicuttys' Eve's pudding will swipe the big prize AND the heart of the Sergeant Major...again. OOh the shame of it!

19 January, 2010 (Last Edited: 16 January, 2012)

Lyric Man by Amouage

A quality, well-done bergamot and lime accord usually makes for a great opening, but, unfortunately, I don’t smell the bergamot-lime in this opening. The angelica blasts immediately from the bottle and continues to dominate the opening as I apply it to my skin. No bergamot and lime for me… just angelica. Angelica is a usually a hit-or-miss note for me and in Lyric, it misses... I’m neutral about its particular olfactory presentation in Lyric, but the presence of the uninspired but prominent angelica denies me my enjoyment of what should have been an excellent opening accord.

When the angelica abates enough I get a little galbanum but I don’t get rose, orange blossom, ginger, or nutmeg. I get saffron. Unlike my hit-or-miss reaction to angelica, saffron is note I avoid at all costs. If it’s discernible in the accord, it overwhelms everything else and I find it quite unpleasant. And saffron is a note that has outstanding longevity for me, so it doesn’t disappear once I note its presence. In Lyric, I never lose the saffron. Even the base notes are contaminated by the saffron note. I can’t judge the base any better than I can judge the opening or the heart.

I am assuming that Lyric is like other Amouages in that it uses quality materials. I think those quality materials are very well assembled, so, in spite of my dislike for the particular choices of notes, I won’t give this a thumb’s down. It is a quality fragrance but I personally would rather do without the angelica and saffron.

19 January, 2010 (Last Edited: 07 August, 2012)

Buzzlepuff's avatar

Monk by Michael Storer

I am mystified by the other reviews of Monk. I don't smell tobacco and birch tar or incense in this fragrance at first. I get the party floral notes up front, then some softness and the darkness comes afterward. Its opposite of what most of the other reviewers smell in Monk. It is possible that there is a newer formula - my bottle is a different shape and the juice is light orange, not clear like photos I've seen so there's a clue that there may have been a formula change.

The list of notes from Michael Storer is formidable. There are florals listed of linden blossom,acacia flower and a very noticeable bulgarian rose absolute - all florals that waft out first followed by warm sweet soft notes of vanilla, tonka, benzoin, ambrette seed, sandalwood and cocoa. These softening elements quieten the florals into a soft warm musk that really does project - bam! Following these floral and vanilla notes are big masculine notes of: frankincense, tobacco, cedar and birch tar. These give it a wooded depth that moves it more masculine. There is natural tartness from the beeswax that adds a sour/sweet connection to darker notes of civet and birch tar.

I see the "partying Monk" that Vibert mentions, right from the beginning of the fragrance with its hypnotic floral musk at the top. The floral musk blended with civet and frankincense is softened by vanilla, tonka and cocoa and it reminds me greatly of Musc Ravegeur by Frederic Malle. The base transitions to dark stoney frankincense with a bit of tobacco and birch tar which slowly ebbs up from the depths. After a few hours this fragrance has a monkish darkness about it but inside this monks hood his eyes are still glowing and he is "dancing in the dark".

Monk is a hard fragrance for me to wear. It is very bold and an aggressive mixture. An occasional light spritz though adds some sun and mystery. I think of this as a night out on the town fragrance similar to Musc Ravegeur or Neil Morris's Prowl.

20th January, 2010 (Last Edited: 25 January, 2010)

JaimeB's avatar

Oud Wood by Tom Ford

The advent of a decent synthetic version of the oud note has made for a proliferation of scents featuring this note. This could be a good thing, or not. Not all ouds are created equal. There is no doubt in my mind that oud fragrances based on Western perfume traditions are best done by Pierre Montale; but now that the oud vibe can be done more economically, the competition is getting fierce, and the new competition is still charging as though they were using the real thing. When the general public catches on, I wouldn't be surprised if they were pissed off about the price issue for the synthetic-based fragrances. Still, I'm not reviewing perfume prices; I'm reviewing perfumes. On that score, the Tom Ford version is fairly imaginative and sufficiently distinctive to merit a good rating. The oriental base is a good support for the whole, and in particular, the tonka bean seems to give the overall fragrance a bit of a fougère-style cast. The rosewood and gentle spices in the top lend the kind of freshness one associates with a fresh aromatic fougère as well. The heart note, of course, is the oud and wood part, justifying the name. The scent has a fairly short top note, but that part of it blends into the heart well, and the base helps with persistence overall. There isn't a lot of development, but there is some, and the structure is good enough for the whole to stand on its own. I'll give this a thumbs up.

scentimus's avatar

Costume National Homme by Costume National

Today my bottle of Costume National Homme arrived and I could not wait to open it up and try it.

In taking off the cellophane wrapping I got a feeling of the gray rubberized box and thought to myself this is going to be unique! I pull out the bottle which is a highly polished and looks like a modern sculpture.

The cap is quirky and cheap and hard to grip to take off but I could not wait to try this. Well I gave a spritz on my wrist at that point was dumbfounded and had to put the bottle down on the table and walk away.

I sat on my leather couch scratched my head and looked over at the bottle sitting on the table – I could not believe it! What the f**k

Then it clicked on my slow brain - - - It’s a costume! It is fragrance in a costume!!!

Costume National – who is know for it’s quirks like having the models sit in the audience and have the photographers and guests walk down the runway instead…. just played such a stunt on us! They took a known fragrance and just re-dressed it in a costume and launched it to the world and gave a case of the emperor new clothes. I looked over back at the bottle and laughed my ass off mostly at myself to be taken in by this.

Costume National took Salvatore Ferragamo Pour Homme which is a lighter scent and revved up the notes making it EDP and just repackage it in a new bottle and even kept the jus the same color!

Wow!

Zerby's avatar

Coach Leatherware by Coach

I tried it & was impressed despite it didn't get much love on the Male Fragrance Forum.
    I got a sample (Which led me to buying a bottle.) Reminds me a lot of Boucheron pour homme. I got great longevity out of it.

Initial Reaction: I love it!!!!!!!
    Proper wearing reaction: Still Love It!!!!!!!
    Price Reaction: Holy Cow!!!!! I still bought it.

20th January, 2010 (Last Edited: 02 March, 2010)

Rose Muskissime by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Charming and youthful rose scent, loaded with juicy exotic fruit notes, over a powdery musk base. A brilliant example of what a wise and thoughtful use of rose can add to a composition and how the clever addition of fruits can project the light side of the florals and bring an air of freshness. Daywear oriented, perfect for those days you just have to be optimistic. Go for it.

Comme des Garçons 2 by Comme des Garçons

I can accept that the big majority of the reviewers can't go wrong.
    Undoubtedly it is nice, creative, with solid and well bonded stages (floral, spicy, woody), but somehow can't work on me. The cumin note seems to destroy what the florals build at the opening, while I am not really familiar with the ink note, everybody likes. There are times it is too sweet, or too peppery and times that I really like the warm and powdery florals in it. Although I don't favor the feminine or masculine discrimination in the perfume world, I strongly believe this is not for the Garcons. I have tried quite a few fragrances by CdG but I am still looking forward to actually love one. Maybe it's this "shrive to be different" philosophy that makes me suspicious. This is one of their best, though.

17/17 Irisss by Xerjoff

Up to the time I tried Irisss, I was 100% sure, there is no possibility for another scent, aside the wonderful Iris Silver Mist, to come closer to the original Iris note. Once again I was wrong. In this business you can never be 100% sure. Having smelled the original raw pure Iris extract, I can now tell that at last Iris SM found an equal rival. Irisss is almost a soliflore. Just add the purest, most rooty and earthy iris smell you can imagine to a perfectly balanced floral, woody and powdery background and you have, along with ISM probably the best Iris scents in the world. Extra bonus comes from the unbelievable for an Iris scent, power and longevity (no wonder that the 3 s’s at the end of it’s name represent the purity and the intensity of the key note as I was told from the SA). However, as with everything truly great in this world, this one as well has a flaw. A really incredible price! My advice : Don’t miss the opportunity to smell it once you find it, but for your wardrobe go for ISM.

mademoiselle_nicole's avatar

France France

Lipstick Rose by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

This is Doris Day bottled. Blond, ironic, seemingly naive yet conscious.
    One of those playful fragrances that You can wear with a circle skirt and a sharp mind. It definitely has sense of humour. It is more funky and sugary respect the more bon-ton drole de rose. Violetty-sugary-fun-but-ladylike.
    You need the right person to pull this off.

chorando's avatar

Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Carrying the weight of a full green canopy, carnal flower shimmers near the forest floor, lit to perfection by a bright pollen rich shaft of light it is a steamy moist, warm and lucious soliflore. Far from overbearing it gently draws you in and seduces. Absolutely dizzying yet easily approachable. A bit of a siren to be sure but respond to its heavenly song and you will be rewarded. Life affiming and Joyous you can't help but smile at its Beauty and its generous invitation to the party. In these terms gender seems immaterial. This is for everyone. Genius.

bokaba's avatar

Santa Maria Novella by Santa Maria Novella

Another excellent eau de cologne for any cologne enthusiast to add to his or her library. Opens with a tart and bright yet restrained bergamot that is both fresh and earthy--the smell of real peel. Then a floral heart of subtle white flowers and spices finishes off this eau. There is perhaps some musk or other fixative such as the indolic qualities of the flowers. I feel the flowers might be jasmine, carnation, white rose, orange blossom, and the spice is clove or clove blossom. Though I doubt the stories of its 16th Century origin with Catherin de Medici, Queen of France. Overall, very nice and natural smelling, but very expensive.

20th January, 2010 (Last Edited: 03 November, 2010)