Fragrance Reviews from January 2010

Agent Provocateur by Agent Provocateur

ANother sharp and harsh rose scent. This one goes into dirty territory. Boisterous and obnoxious. Since it smells dirty, I wonder why the company produced a bubble bath of this scent. For irony? Well, some people enjoy it I suppose.

Pure Poison Elixir by Christian Dior

A strong floral vanilla. Heavy jasmine. The fragrance is just very intense yet feels full and dense. However it lacks that special something. It's a lot of nothing.

Elle by Yves Saint Laurent

Elle is a striking fruity, berry scent with woodsy musks. A breezy, light woody patchouli at the base makes for a strong fragrance. Good thing the ingredients for the patchouli weren't cheap or this whole thing would fall apart. Good for the younger ladies for a work scent, I think. A mature fruity woodsy floral.

The marketing copy for this says something about the "unique and unpredictable lifestyle" which is not what I get. Something more calm and reserved instead of exciting comes to mind. (Subjectiove material, indeed).

al01 by Biehl Parfumkunstwerke

What's a nice way of saying, "this smells like a drysheet but doesn't last as long"?

Opening is very aromatic of herbs. Then goes right into the clean and fresh scents of everything white floral. Dries into mostly musk with a little touch of sandalwood. It would be a nice scent if it didn't do this in the few minutes it was exposed to my skin.

mb03 by Biehl Parfumkunstwerke

Incense and patchouli. That's really all there is to it. Nothing magical but well-made and good use of incense. Gone in a short time. Kinda feels leathery and is probably the precursor to Buxton's Hot Leather.

Phil Cape's avatar

South Africa South Africa

Lime, Basil & Mandarin by Jo Malone

This was the scent that first woke me up to Jo Malone. It was love at first sniff. I was then too ignorant to know that you could get fragrances that were so unashamedly clean and focussed so uninhibitedly on the orchard and the herb garden. I was astounded at its bracing freshness and verve and worshipped its unaffected purity.

I find it very easy to wear. In our mediterranean climate it is refreshing in summer and nostalgic in winter. It lasts well enough for me but happily is also hard to overdo thanks to the way it settles into calm citrus and herb notes. (At the JM shop at LHR they use this to spritz onto the black tissue paper when they wrap your purchases. Not sure what that says about it... but I'm too in love to care.)

The lime is without doubt the leader of the band here and I have sought the mandarin in vain. That is until I sprayed this over JM's Sweet Lime & Cedar and, voila!, there is the mandarin and it keeps on coming through. Delightful!

I must confess that over the years I have occasionally entertained heretical thoughts that there may be a lack of depth to the fragrance. But now I sometimes layer it with heavier scents and that way it still keeps its fascination both solo and in combination.

Phil Cape's avatar

South Africa South Africa

Sweet Lime and Cedar by Jo Malone

I have a certain fascination with Jo Malone scents. They are often described here as linear and maybe that's what I like: a clear statement with fairly simple suppporting or contrasting accords. Like a strong melody accompanied by transparent orchestration.

But what's wrong with me? When I tried this in the shop I was completely enamoured of the tart lime contrasted with warm, aromatic cedar. Waited to buy it from JM's airport shop and now I can't find the tartness anywhere! Not even on the very first sniff. To be fair it is called "sweet lime" and the sweetness is definitely there but seems more associated with the gardenia than anything citrus. And that lack of tartness has completely destroyed the balance of the scent for me. I find what remains a bit too diffuse and although it's not unpleasant I can't relax with it because it keeps hinting that something will break through but ultimately just cloys somewhat.

The good news is that it makes a nice base with a strong citrus scent (Lime Basil Mandarin works without getting too weird) overlaid on it.

MFJ's avatar

Ambre Russe by Parfum d'Empire

Ambre Russe opens with an accord that smells like bitter dark chocolate. It then reveals a heart that smells like whiskey/brandy and some leather. When everything else blows away, a light skin scent of honeyed and spiced dried tea lingers. Glorious.

25th January, 2010 (Last Edited: 18th March, 2010)

mrclmind's avatar

Monsieur Rochas by Rochas

I can only comment on the vintage concentree version:

It is a very well composed, rather dry fougere. It imparts gentle sophistication. It is not particularly loud, rather it is present, yet wears slightly below the radar. There is a definite citrus/aromatic opening which leads seamlessly to a spicy clove-tinged, slightly woody, masculine floral (carnation) heart. The oak-moss leather-like dry down is sublime. The projection is light to moderate and the longevity is moderate. This is a real winner for sophistication and understated elegance. It seems quite timeless to me. I have not tried the new pink version, so I cannot comment on how the scent has been translated as a reformulation.

Top: Lemon, Bergamot, Clary Sage, Lavender, Larel, Camomile
    Middle: Geranium, Carnation, Cedar, Cardamom, Galbanum, Vetiver
    Base: Oakmoss, Tonka, Musk, Patchouli, Hay

25th January, 2010 (Last Edited: 29th January, 2010)

nonnative's avatar

Madame Carven by Carven

I found an old bottle of Madame de Carven in my wardrobe. It is still full and seems in good condition. It is an old-style parfume, that takes me back to the 80s, a little "demodè" and out of fashion. I would never buy it now, but it is a sweat sniff of memories every time I open the bottle. The lid is big and striking: resembles the broad shoulders of the blouses we use to wear those years. .... funny.

Balvon's avatar

Lithuania Lithuania

Monocle Scent Two: Laurel by Comme des Garçons

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Omer's avatar

Hugo by Hugo Boss

I used this in my late teens; I guess our preferences do change a lot over time, as I now find this smell to be quite offensive.
    Still, I do recall getting a fair number of compliments at the time, so it seems at that age most ladies also find it to be attractive.

Won't waste time describing this as others did this better than I ever could.
    Bottom line - for the up-to-25 crowd (or perhaps the middle aged guy trying to hit on 20 year-olds...)

moss1310's avatar

Fleur de Santal by Sinfonia di Note

This is my favorite from Sinfonia di Note, at least of the 6 or so I have tried. It's very similar to Musc Ravageur, which I wasn't expecting at all. The main difference to me is that it opens with a cinnamon/spice blast. This is actually nice, not overwhelming at all. It then glides into a rich and creamy phase. I get vanilla and a hint of sandlewood. Then the musk comes in. Its a slightly more dirty musk than MR, but in the same vein. Very well done!

Longexact's avatar

APOM pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

This is a nice, inoffensive amber. I went back and forth on whether to give this a thumbs up or a neutral rating, but the price is pleasingly low (especially for a niche fragrance), a serious point in its favor. Although there isn't a lot here to distinguish it from the crowd, it is nicely done, and if you want a well-blended, undemanding luminous amber, you may as well pick this one up. At this price point you can also get The Different Company's Oriental Lounge, which is very similar. There are definitely better, more interesting ambers out there (Amouage's Jubilation Man and MDCI's best-of-class Ambre Topkapi come to mind), but they are also a good bit more expensive.

Nile_Etland's avatar

Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel

This is a perfume I like very much - but not enough to buy. However (there's always a 'however') two years ago I realised, after I had set off on holiday, that I hadn't brought any perfume with me - quick dash to duty-free to buy some Coco, followed by shock/horror when I found they had almost sold out, just a couple of bottles of EdT & some body cream.

Nearby was the Coco Mademoiselle, & they were featuring cute little compacts of solid perfume - just the stuff for travelling and as I said, I don't actually dislike it. It's recognisably CM, but richer & smoother than the juice, and I would have it as a regular in my collection if only it were still available,

Of course it was a limited edition (brought out for Christmas '08) and there are no plans to re-issue it in this format, so unless someone out there puts some up on Ebay I am doomed to treat myself to miserly dabs of the precious stuff and gloomily watch the level decrease.

Question - why are so few perfumes sold in solid form?

And PLEASE, you nice businessmen & women at Chanel........why not bring back a best-seller?

Nile_Etland's avatar

28 La Pausa by Chanel

Having read the review of 31 Rue Cambon in the Guide I made tracks to the nearest Chanel boutique to try it - liked it on the smelling strip enough to give my wrist a splash, then decided not to waste the other wrist, why not, I thought, try the next one along. I sprayed my left hand (fortunately, as I'm righthanded) with 28 la Pausa and spent the rest of the day wandering round London in a dream with said wrist clamped to my nose, Lord only knows what people thought I was doing.

The only trouble with this is that the drydown hardly seems to last any time at all, but undaunted I bought myself a pocket atomiser - face it girl, this is love.

25th January, 2010 (Last Edited: 26th February, 2010)

MikeB's avatar

Burberry the Beat for Men by Burberry

It has grown on me sooo much... I still don't think it is a 4 or 5 star fragrance but it is decent and when applied lightly it can be quite pleasant. When i first tested it i thought alright why not buy it.. Bought it and then thought it was a bit too much pepper... but two months later now i decided it isn't half bad ..

2 to 3 sprays max for applying id say. Better than a neutral but not for everyone.

jayjupes's avatar

Vintage Soul by Curve by Liz Claiborne

very "masculine", whatever that means, and it does mean something.
    i get the del monte fruit cocktail reference but i think it's nice. i get the bergamot, probably because i drink a lot of tea, and my nose is starting to be able to pick out the itch of patchouli, which i enjoy...

it was cheap, it smells nice.
    oddly strong for something that sort of abruptly falls away...

definitely not a nondescript fresh and fruity teen scene of a scent.

Susy's avatar

Cleopatra by Tocca

I wish I could write more positively about 'Cleopatra'. There's nothing wrong with its scent - it's certainly not harsh; in-your-face, or chokingly strong... but on the other hand, it's so very soft, so unassertive, it gets lost on the skin. I love Cleopatra's gentle rosy glow - for about six minutes. That's about how long the bouquet lasts. Very disappointing.

Abercrombie & Fitch Woods by Abercrombie & Fitch

This is, without a doubt, my all time favorite cologne. It's masculine, woodsy (obviously), and for some reason, strikes me as "classy" despite the store that used to sell it.

I really wish it hadn't been discontinued.

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Used to be one of my favorites, but I rarely wear it now.

I used to call it "liquid sex" - if you were going out to the club, and you wore this, you were probably going to get lucky.

It has become so popular, with so many people wearing it now, it just doesn't have the appeal that it once did.

Still, an enjoyable cologne.

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

About every three or four months, I plan to spend some time in the department stores trying out new colognes. I found a little store at the mall, Perfumania, that I didn't even know existed. Anyway, I asked the lady behind the counter what she had that was different or unique or rare. She said, "Oh, you've got to try this."

At first, I *hated* it! The anise smell was overpowering. But there was something else there, and as I tried out a few more scents, I kept coming back to it.

This is a very sweet-smelling cologne, and the anise diminishes pretty quickly, so much so that it's barely noticeable a few minutes after applying. I pick up a slight flower smell - this is definitely not the world's most masculine cologne, but I really, really like it.

Quorum by Antonio Puig

One of the other reviewers said that this was a "No B&llshit" and macho-man type of fragrance, and that describes it perfectly. This is another cologne that I immediately did not like - it's EXTREMELY in your face - but then it evolves into something entirely different.

This is probably the most masculine scent I own. I wear it when I have an important business meeting. But keep in mind, a little bit goes a long way. :-)

mdtroyer's avatar

Bond No.9 Perfume Oud by Bond No. 9

I walked into Saks today and tried this fragrance for the first time. Upon first smell i thought i had found my holy grail, as i had never smelled anything like this fragrance. Chalk it up to experience, or chalk it up to the uniqueness of this fragrance. The opening is very pungent and is sweet with an almost acrid bite, but is soothed by flowery notes which i could only assume to be the rose. It was if i had fallen in love, but sadly after inquiring about the price was shocked to find it was almost one hundred dollars more than a normal bond fragrance. Also, after about four hours of use this fragrance fails to pass the one dimensional test. This fragrance smells the same throughout its lifespan, but i would not consider this a bad thing. Overall, i would say, if money is no object and different is what you are looking for then this fragrance is for you.

Ascensia's avatar

Kiehl's Original Musk by Kiehl's

My husband's fragrances become mine. Helmut Lang Pour Homme is what started it all. At that point, the depth of the leather and sandalwood in men’s fragrances was already starting to attract me. When he noticed Helmut Lang’s rapidly lowering level in its bottle, he tried to send me in a different direction by desperately purchasing Kiehl's musk and telling me, "Use it to layer with your (older)more floral scents." I smelled the musk plain, with no other scents on my skin (except perhaps the barely detectible odor of Softsoap) and recoiled in horror! The animalic, skanky, voluminous earthiness shattered my "girly" senses.
    Fast-forward to two years later. I succumbed to a foolish impulse buy and purchased Ralph Lauren Wild. All fruit and flowers. For me, it was like pulling on a Britney Spears outfit and wagging my hips. It was despicable. (How nice to be leaving the bourgeousie behind.) I readily grasped the Kiehl's and sprayed it on, one more time.
    The result was marvelous. It was much like Narciso Rodriguez's Musc for women. A complex base of lovely dark chords like a heart beating on a dark plain beneath florals and fruit plants waving in the winds above. Its successful, mysterious complexity hides within its initial impression, which slaps you in the face. Then it lingers on into, I agree, florals, along with chypre and myrrh. The layering was both beatific and raunchy all at once.
    But RL Wild vanishes quickly on me and when I woke up, I smelled like a skunk. Still, it’s worth trying and can readily prime you a powerful signature scent. Give it a chance. Girls, try it as a layering base for strong floral scents. Somehow, the chemistry creates a larger, more dangerous, and yet more beautiful creature. Striking, difficult, gorgeous, and growling. You’ll love it.

merry.waters's avatar

Egypt Egypt

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

Tried it on a blotter only. Didn't get to much notes here. It is sweet, rotten organics all in all. A bit fecal. If I would get aware of such a smell walking the woods I would be careful for each further step. The eponymous orchid might be nice in color or shape. But that doesn't tell what brew of insects are meant to be aroused by the very odor.

In some way it might be seen as a gourmand type of fragrance. Thumbs neutral for its provocative potential. I'm straight writing my opinion with this. It doesn't sing my body the way I want, nor does it attract me. With this I'm pretty sure that first a certain personal attitude and liking is key to an understanding and a trustworthy valuation.

Hirons's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Expected a great smelling fragrance because of the hype/reviews. Its kinda warm and safe for all occasions. But there is a smell dominating the whole fragrance, probably the Violet leaf(smells like grass). The whole progress from top to base notes becomes boring. Just when the great part (base notes) comes into play after 2-3 hours, I almost cant smell it anymore.

innana88's avatar

Délices de Cartier by Cartier

I'm reading these other reviews and feeling like I had a completely different experience with my chemistry. Other than the initial blast, which is a bit synthetic, I smell very little of the cherries on my skin. For me, what is the strongest is the orange blossoms, which is one of my favorite scents on the planet. This is one of the only fragrances that truly highlights orange blossom on my skin. It is really sweet and I usually prefer the spicy to the sweet, but this one has enough of a spicy and mellow dry down to suit me just fine. On a card, I never would have purchased this, but on my skin...I have to get a bottle. I can't stop sniffing my wrist.

Fumehead's avatar

No. 5 by Chanel

I actually find it quite boring and passé. It’s like a safe bet. Sure your mother in law will love it, but who wants mother in law approval? I rather misbehave with something more complex and unexpected.

Fumehead's avatar

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Oui, oui. On a cold winter day, it melted onto my skin and left me wanting for more. There is darkness to this fragrance, a warm and almost suffocating embrace, very gangster. This is a handsome, intellectual bad boy. Yummm.