Fragrance Reviews from January 2010

AnnS's avatar

Timbuktu by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Smells to me a little bit of the creamy depth of Habanita (but no smoke), and a little bit of the sunny cheer of Jardin sur le Nil (but no citrus)... Vetiver always jumps right out at me, so Timbuktu is mostly very green vetiver to me with a nice dash of florals and woods to keep it from being boring. It is both sheer and deep at the same time with all the warmth brought on with the well balanced woods and incense. The vetiver is wonderfully done - the entire fragrance really lasts for many hours with medium warm sillage. The development gets a bit linear at the end, but still great. I think this could be worn all year round, and absolutely unisex. It smells fantastic!

06 January, 2010 (Last Edited: 26 March, 2010)

Late-Hit's avatar

Rush by Gucci

Cheap, ugly bottle and awful, hideous fragrance. Rush is among the very few female fragrances I don't want to smell anywhere, any time... and it seems a lot of others feel the same. I can only conclude that some of us really must smell something that others can't. To me it's just offensive.

shamu1's avatar

Patchouli by Molinard

Molinard has created a very good, straightforward patchouli here that should appeal to all patchouli lovers, male or female. It is very dark, smoky and powdery, smelling almost like burning incense, almost liturgical. The patchouli note is not suppressed at all in this fragrance – if you hate patchouli, you will despise this fragrance. However, I can smell other notes in the mix here, with a touch of amber in the base to take the edge off the raw patchouli oil and to enhance its smokiness, as well as some light floral note(s) to give it the powderiness. This is not the raw, sharp and aggressive patchouli as in Caswell-Massey’s excellent Aura of Patchouli, but rather a warm and rich patchouli scent.

I get very good longevity out of this – about eight hours on my skin. Radiance is quite high for the first hour, but it mellows out and becomes a “skin scent” after that. Although apparently some people use this to layer with other fragrances, I find this to be complex and interesting enough to wear by itself. That’s how I wear it.

A word of caution to potential buyers: if you don’t like “hippie” or head shop-style patchouli, then Molinard’s patchouli is not for you. Molinard’s Patchouli is definitely the kind of scent that your average person thinks of when he or she thinks of patchouli and its association with hippies and head shops. On the other hand, if you have no such hang-ups, I would recommend this fragrance highly

shamu1's avatar

Kiehl's Pour Homme Essence Oil by Kiehl's

This fragrance is easy to underestimate because the packaging has no sex appeal at all: it's in a small, sample-sized vial (only .25 oz), and it comes in a boring little brown box that looks like a lipstick. It's also in a roll-on vial, not an atomiser. It sounds like a recipe for a marketing disaster, but good lord, this is one big-league powerhouse. I am not kidding.

Ignore the fact that it's only .25 oz. - you don't need any more than that because Kiehl’s Pour Homme is made up solely of pure perfume oils, so it’s even more concentrated than an "eau de parfum" or even a "parfum". Let me assure you – this stuff is STRONG.

It smells very much like the original formulation of Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui, only much woodier, with confierous woods, and macho-level patchouli. In fact, I would say that it’s a perfect alternative for anyone who wants to smell the original Oscar Pour Lui but can’t find a bottle. Just roll it on the back of your wrists and your throat, and you're good to go for at least 8, yes eight, hours. This scent is very spicy, manly and assertive.

Kiehls’ Pour Homme is bonafide powerhouse, without a doubt, and a great scent.

pinkfizzy's avatar

Black Cashmere by Donna Karan

I was excited to find this at a discount store, as I'd heard a lot about it. I love the bottle (the 30ml), although my mother said that it looks like a "very expensive vibrator" (thanks for that, ma). I had to wait to try it on until I got home because she's allergic to perfume. The first impression I had was of strong church incense, and the way it can permeate your clothes and hair. However, as it developed the spices and sweetness became more apparent. It's gorgeous, and not something I would expect to find at a department store these days-- to interesting. Since I have a (very) low tolerance for sweetness, the spicy-puddingyness of it was a bit overwhelming, so I layered it with Montale Original Aoud and wow, it really balanced it out.

Thoughtfully and elegantly composed. Now I just have to go back to that store and buy Theorema...

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Premier Figuier Extrême by L'Artisan Parfumeur

The opening is distinctly fig-like but compared to the softness of the original, Extrême has a distinctly sap-like green aspect to it which lends it a more masculine countenance. The almond bitter milkiness only starts creeping in after 10 minutes but thankfully it does not dominate, the scent retaining a green pine-like freshness right to the mildly sweet woodsy drydown. I actually find it very wearable on a man.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Dzongkha by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Sharp, dry incense over smouldering woods, a little spiced tea and birch leather(?). I probably wouldn't dream of wearing this out of the home in a hundred years but as an evocative scent composition, DZONGKHA is superb - especially for a monastic cell. Its lack of sweetness makes it far less wearable than Lutens' Serge Noire even if it puts me in a similarly contemplative, meditative mood and takes my mind on a journey to exotic far-away lands.

"Please reschedule today's appointments, I'm away...uh...travelling."

SoGent's avatar

Power by 50 Cent

Not gonna say it's bottled sewage but it isn't something I would spend money on.
    The prominent beginning is pepper, then a slightly sweet pepper .... OK, not too bad.
    From there it just drops into linear-ity. No progression, No change, just a linear plastic note.

Some are going to like it though - for sure.

olfactorium's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Opus 1870 by Penhaligon's

i guess of all them fruity florals for men out there,this one is the most elegant and simple.Sweetness can be masculin and here is a proof.I get oakmoss(which i always get,no matter what)a very natural one,pear and a slight touch of a lily of the valley.Sits tightly on my skin,after 1 hour still there.Being myself a big sceptic when it comes to sweet fruity scents for men,i can say that this opus has a certain dignity and elegance.If you like stuff like YSL la nuit de l'homme,switch over to this!

Tortola's avatar

Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I was looking forward to experiencing the unusual patchouli/chocolate combination but the camphor note just killed this one for me. On my skin it was just overpoweringly medicinal, with an earthy background and no noticeable chocolate. I would imagine this one is better encountered at a distance but I couldn't wear anything that I didn't like up close. Definitely not one to purchase unsniffed or on impulse.

Tortola's avatar

Lonestar Memories by Tauer

For me, Lonestar Memories conjures up a biker rather than a cowboy. It brings to mind motorcycle grease, a lived-in biker jacket and a whiff of petrol fumes. It's quite "dry" and not in the least flowery or sweet, with good longevity. I love smoky scents and was eager to try this one but it's just a bit too macho for me. I think the more feminine leathers are more my style (such as Cuir de Lancome and Cuir de Russie). It's very well done though and I'd love to smell it on a guy, so giving it a neutral.

Armor King's avatar

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

I picked this one up blindly just based off some Youtube reviews. This is definatly a fragrance for I would say the younger crowd(which I am). It kinda smells like Grape bubblegum. I enjoy it. The bottle is cool looking also. This fragrance isn't sold in the USA(at least in stores) so its one of those hidden gems that I like to wear. I would wear this if I were going to a club, party, date or wearing something casual like jeans and a t-shirt. I would NOT wear this in a professional setting(like at work), it just wouldnt smell right.

Adidas Moves by Adidas

this was my highschool scent, and for that i will always love it cause it brings back so many summer memories. but what makes this worth giving a try or keeping is the basenotes, once its on your skin and mixes with your chemistry by the end of the day its almost like a personalized perfume. sporty clean fresh masculine scent. of course theres better out there but u cant beat the price. a good starter perfume.

Original Vetiver by Creed

this is my number 1 scent, soapy, green, clean, masc. it drys down to this note i have trouble finding in any other perfume, ov and ck be seem to be the only 2 that have a similar note in the dry down...not to compaire the two because they smell nothign alike, just has this unique scent that is best discribed as sexy. i will rebuy this again for the price it is still worth it to me, it smells like theirry muglars scent but tm smell is lacking and tends to make me sick, but still a good replacement if money is an issue

Magnetism for Men by Escada

if i want to smell like a wealthy proffesional man this is the one i turn to, it smells like purple. lol. when i first got it i thought it was way to strong and never died, infact i used to wear it to the beach so that when i got out of the water it would smell AMAZING, i eventually learned to spray and walk through it and now all is right in the world :) its sweet musky and interestingly sexy, will buy again.

Ladyboy by B Never Too Busy Be Beautiful

this smells of childrens cough medicine, originally i was attracted to the uniqueness of this perfume, and it is fun and diffrent, but artifical banana runts is pushin it, the violets bring everything to a wearable level, so im neutral with this, i wont buy again, but ill eventally try it again.

Story by Paul Smith

smells like soft clean ivy, a beautiful scent, nice summer scent unisex in my opinion, similar to burberry weekend. if u want to smell classy and summer happy clean, this is the delicate choice

Virgin Island Water by Creed

LOVE. classy beachy coconut drinks on a boat in paradise, althought the dry down on me has a slight hairsprayish scent, and it doesnt last on me at all. smells like lime and coconuts.

Coney Island by Bond No. 9

i love the idea of perfumes that are trying to break the norm and try something fun and diffrent,and use inspiration from life that could spark memories, so i was veryyy excited to try this one, on me this smells of citrus, then it drys down to a green scent of cilantro like fresh picked from the garden which then turns sorta into a bo smell. this might be the fruit im smelling but im left craving the sweet caramel and chocolate to shine through, but i dont really notice it. not worth the price. but i applaud the effort, alot of the bond no 9s have just alittle something off about them in my opinion.

Love in Black by Creed

very diffrent complaired to everything on the market, and for that i am greatfull. it smells just like violets candy, its dark, childish, and fun. it really can mold to be whatever u want it to be, goth, childish, or mature depending on whos wearing it.

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

I have always been a fan of Le Male. It has a wonderful smell and you can tell a guy is wearing Le Male from miles away. Just a shame it has became way too popular. I like to wear different fragrances to stand out from the crowd, but everytime you wear this to a bar or restaurant, you know you are not going to be the only one wearing this. Even the waiter will be wearing it.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme Intense by Issey Miyake

I absolutely love this fragrance. Along with Dior Homme Intense, this is one of my all time favourites.

Dior Homme Intense by Christian Dior

This, without a doubt, is the best fragrance I have ever had. The smell just seems to fit perfectly on my skin. You wouldn't believe how many compliments I have recieved by wearing this. It is near impossible to find in the high streets, only certain boots and debenhams stores sell it. Maybe that's why I recently bought 3 100ml bottles so I never run out. It didn't come cheap, but it was certainly worth it.

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Drats! PigeonMudrerer said it all.
    One of the few Lutens that does not overwhelm with his ubiquitous fruitcake accord. Yes, there's a bit of honey at the start but I was braced for it, so it didn't seem that strong of a note.
    Do I get a pardon from the niche police?

07 January, 2010 (Last Edited: 08 March, 2010)

Buzzlepuff's avatar

Bois de Turquie by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

The predominant notes in this fragrance are mandarin orange and sandalwood. It is unisex because it is a light fragrance. The beautiful orange opening is warm and inviting while the base is subtle with a light wood incense scent. The laurel and geranium add light elevating green notes along the way. Iris, incense, myrrh and patchouli also keeps the drydown firmly in the incense woods category but still a very light stroke with all these notes. There is a subtlety here that reads as feminine or a very sensitive masculine scent. This fragrance is unique in fragrances I have tried even though orange and spice is a common theme (Kouros, Orange Spice, Elixir, L Eau d' Toracco) this version is the most subtle and ethereal I've tried. The closest comparative fragrance I've smelled is probably Baume du Doge by Eau d' Italie, but Bois de Turquie is a more subtle sandalwood scent with fewer spice notes and more incense. This is a wonderful fragrance to live with. My only complaint with this fragrance is that in its subtlety and low sillage it almost disappears until you move in close.

Francois Blais's avatar

Passion for Men by Elizabeth Taylor

What a pleasant surprise!
    I got a bottle of this in a swap many years ago, and juice was probably turned bad, in retrospective.
    A great balance between sweetness, spices and leather.
    OK, it smells more like a drugstore-type fragrance, being somewhat on the synthetic side, but very nice nonetheless!

nvrlnd's avatar

Nightscape by Ulrich Lang

The keyword for Nightscape is "muted." After trying it for three days, I think i've gotten a feel for it. It's essentially a *very* quiet, clean patchouli scent, that jumps into the basenotes almost immediately with little progression after a minute or so of a soft greenish opening. The vanilla-ish tonka shows up at the end, but it's also very subtle and quiet.

It's not a bad scent, per se, and is probably the most office-friendly patchouli scent around, due to the quiet / faded / muted nature of the fragrance overall. It's just not for me.

Bigsly's avatar

Histoire d'Eau by Mauboussin

This is excellent, period. However, if you don't like the notes, it obviously may not be for you. I don't find it aldehydic at all, but I do avoid top notes, and I agree that they may be "harsh." In fact, if I smell the sprayer, I sometimes think of it as "funky ketchup." Otherwise, it's "natural" smelling, well balanced, dynamic, and pleasant. I haven't tried Daim Blond so I can't compare. It is certainly a bit similar to DKNY's Fuel for men. Sillage is at least good and longevity is excellent. Some have said that projection/"sillage" drops off quickly, but I find that two sprays to the chest is plenty, though I keep my shirt open a little so that it wafts up nicely. At the prices it's selling for at the time of this writing, this is one of the best deals I have ever come across in the world of fragrances, and I'm undeniably a "bargain hunter."

jagmartini's avatar

Safari for Men by Ralph Lauren

After years of teasing my father for only wearing this cologne for over a decade (he's since discovered that there are, in fact, other great smelling colognes out there), I broke down and bought a bottle of Safari for myself this afternoon.

The bottle itself is worthy of an aristocrat's dresser. (I admit I had reservations about chunking the box the stuff came in.) More bottles should be fashioned in this design.

The scent itself: Fresh at first, then it dies down into a smoldering (maybe even alluring?) chyprye smell that reminded me of my much-favored Burberry London. Towards the end of the evening I detect a leathery aroma, maybe with a touch of the patchouli mentioned in the notes category.

I'll keep this one around to wear at work, and frankly because the bottle just looks that good on your dresser or bathroom counter.

MFJ's avatar

Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I love Bois Farine. I think the wood and dough interpretation is presented excellently accurately, which make this Ellena composition truly unique. I tried layering this with the non-gourmand L'Artisan Vanilia as suggested by another member, and I was extremely pleased at how it turned out - A foody vanilla scent. On it's own, it is quite an odd-ball and I echo what Trebor said: "I’m still not too sure when’s the best situation to wear this...", but I see much potential for layering options (to add a gourmand dimension to other scents). Indeed, this is also a nice scent to coze up to.