Fragrance Reviews from October 2010

Nevena's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

Power by 50 Cent

It's nicer than expected. A green, arid, soapy, mossy scent. It's vibrant and young, yet classy. I do not detect artificial sweetness, just a hint of berries. So dry, green and not animalic, would be perfect for summer. I think its true beauty develops in the hot. Very classy bottle.

's avatar

Nuda by Il Profumo

Nuda is a musky skin-scent, the idea - of course - is old-fashioned, but the construction of this fragrance is innovative. A fresh, hay-like top-note mixed with musky and powdery overtones. The result of this construction is a quiet and discreet perfume which mingles with your own body-odour producing a very natural effect. I find it totally "harmless" and devoid of the sexual connotations intended by its name and the blurp of the press-material ("natural pheromones" "seduction"). A rather unobtrusive musk - can be worn anytime/anywhere. It is really pleasant and I even consider buying a second bottle of it.

Do Son by Diptyque

The tuberose accord here is nowhere near as heady nor as sickly as many I have encountered before. It's rather fresh, with a little green accent that Diptyque seems to favor in many of its floral compositions. I'm not sure if purists would call it a soliflore for it wears more like a bouquet of white flowers. But it's definitely more natural smelling than the nose-searing Olene. And if you enjoy Carnal Flower but find it a tad too 'showy', this may well be right up your street.

Tubereuse 1 La Capricieuse by Histoires de Parfums

Capriceuse or 'capricious', suggesting impulsiveness, an element of unpredictability. I am not all that surprised to find a doughy note of iris greeting my nose right from the first whiff; the iris accord is indeed quite a popular scent partner. The tuberose blooms soon after - slightly indolic but far from heady, with ylang-ylang adding just the right touch of softness. I do wish the tuberose is a little richer but that’s probably just a tuberose fan talking.

As the scent develops I catch a hint of suede but it remains firmly in the backseat and avoids driving this into yet another floral suede territory. I’m not very familiar with the saffron note so I cannot confirm if the tiny spice note I detect up close is indeed saffron. The cocoa too comes up only as a smidgen late in the drydown.

In the end what I smell here mostly is a refined blend of tuberose and iris over soft suede, with the selection of iris to partner the tuberose somewhat inspired for it brings out the texture well. Capricious only in its gender appeal, I find Capricieuse beguilingly seductive for its sillage invites the nose to nuzzle right up to the skin of the wearer.

Notes: tuberose, iris, bergamot, saffron, ylang-ylang, cocoa, suede

Tubereuse 2 La Virginale by Histoires de Parfums

On my skin, the citrus note of mandarin fails to materialize while the bitter-sweetness of cherries is overwhelmed by the rather heady family of white florals. The tuberose does not stand out either. Instead, a sweet caramelized vanilla laced with earthy patchouli and cedar shine right through, resulting in a floral fragrance that feels decidedly tropical and feminine in character.

Nothing groundbreaking to report here considering the white floral-and-woods-layer-over-vanilla is a well-populated genre. In fact the whole composition is rather reminiscent of Kenzo’s FlowerByKenzo Essentialle, only less sweet.

Tubereuse 3 L’Animale by Histoires de Parfums

With a name like Animale, I was half-expecting a roar of a beginning. But all I got was a low growl. Not a drop of civet to be found though a little castoreum or labdanum may be responsible for the musky leathery presence that lurks around the edges of a tuberose bouquet a little way past its prime.

As the scent descends into its heart, I catch hints of salty plum-like notes doing a John Varvatos but these feel more like bit players. Even the immortelle seems much more subdued than it does in 1740.

The star player, at least to me, has to be the blond tobacco. Its creamy-smoky richness blends flawlessly with the tuberose to create one intoxicating scent that places Animale alongside the likes of Tabac Aurea, Daim Blond, even Chanel Cuir de Russie.

But unfortunately, nothing remotely animalic.

Notes: tuberose, neroli, kumquat, prune, dry herbs, blond tobacco, immortelle

professor goggles's avatar

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

I had read about it here on Basenotes and found it at an old department store about a year ago, where the clerk said there were regular customers who would come in for it. From the reviews here, I expected it to be quite a controversial fragrance. Upon smelling it, I immediately had memories of an uncle from Paris who would visit my family in Canada from time to time, rather an old pervert, if I'm not mistaken, and I mean that in a good way. I'm pretty sure he wore it. As he was, Kouros is unique and maybe a bit eccentric. At first I found it almost too strong. It has a very powerful solvent note, something boldly camphorous like turpentine or permanent marker or yes, urinal cakes. I was cautious, and thought I wouldn't be able to wear it. Once it's on, like some of the best experiences, there's really no going back. Underneath the first blast, there is so much more. It becomes a banquet of spice and sweetness and mystery and through it all the animal note so many complain of which I can't get enough of. For me it symbolizes the difference between North America and Europe, squatting as it does in a dirty Parisian toilet perhaps. It conjures up the difference between real cheese and American processed cheese, between people who don't take a shower after sex and people who can't continue their day without one, between a shopping mall in Salt Lake City and a kasbah in Tunis. Sure it stinks, that's what we do, we're animals. It touches the very dichotomy inherent in wearing perfume to cover our socially unacceptable body odours. I for one prefer unshaved armpits that smell like a human being to waxed ones hidden under aluminum salts that smell like "the great outdoors" and taste bad, to boot. That's why I like Kouros. I'll leave the clean chemical marines that smell like hand sanitizer to the mall rats.

Nile_Etland's avatar

French Lime Blossom by Jo Malone

Too sweet, too sickly, not interesting enough to put on your skin and a drydown that requires scouring powder and several hours scrubbing to remove.

Love the scented candle however.

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

Harrods for Her by Bond No. 9

I tried Harrods for him in June 2010 and truly loved it...

I have tried Harrods for her since then and have also thoroughly enjoyed it...on the initial spritz you can enjoy a beautiful sweet mandarin and neroli that does last for a good half hour, then a very fresh sweet light tuberose emerges to envelope you in heaven for at least 3 hours caressing you with every breath you take; does not feel particularly feminine to me; the drydown is beautiful, tranquil and peaceful with amber, leather, sandalwood and vetiver but with a sweet hint of tuberose still in the background...think autumn in yellow and brown terracotta leaves dancing with you in the wind...

The bottle is also incredible...

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

Harrods Rose by Bond No. 9

Beautiful, refined, sweet and floral, feminine, distinguished and very distinctively from Bond no 9...

The initial spray is zesty fruity and guess that it must be due to white narcisse...very nice and pleasant and certainly different...then, I can detect tuberose heart notes, familiar from other Bonds...Harrods for her, Saks for her, Saks en rose; on this occasion the tuberose is lighter than in both Saks but very similar to Harrods for her..Dios mio!..I love this note,,,finally the musk, amber and cashmere base notes arrive slowly and they envelope you in a wonderful comfort zone of sheer luxury...

Another memorable beautiful experience from the NYC House...

Big thumbs up

jules1's avatar

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I LOVE this scent! After reading reviews I was so curious I had to try it. On me, it smells very smoky/rubbery (reminds me of Bulgari Black) at first but it quickly dries down to something very sweet and soft. I get tons of compliments when I wear it, but I do think this is a scent that must smell very different on people....I assume body chemistry plays a huge part in how the scent plays out because some reviews sound like a completely different perfume.
    I would say it's a must try, maybe not a must have depending on the person.

Pamplemousse's avatar

Fahrenheit Absolute by Christian Dior

I put some of this on from a carded sampler I bought purely out of interest the other day, and a few minutes later I was like, hang on a minute, this isn't half bad. I like the original, perhaps I should say. This is similar, but darker, more intense. I'm not great at describing smells, being a bit of a newbie, but I actually got strong powder from this, and I'm a fan of that. I put a little more on - though it's pretty strong - and just enjoyed it. There's a definite development, as it eases off, gets a little sweeter, and I'm pretty sure I can smell a lot of vanilla there too. It really softens nicely, but remains very distinct and unmistakeable. I like scents with character, big scents, that stand out, and, to my mind, this fits the bill. I've even, later in the drydown, thought "Guerlain" a couple of times, and perhaps that's why I've warmed to it. I also like florals (Hammam Bouquet) and have now read about the violet, which I suppose appeals too.

Another plus point - my girlfriend liked it, which is unusual. I present her with many a wrist to sniff, and usually it's "Yeah, it's nice", but she's never bowled over. For FA, though, she showed a definite enthusiasm. So.

I've bought about 50+ 2ml samples since joining Basenotes. Of those, I'm definitely going back for 5ml of Daim Blond and Heritage. Fahrenheit Absolute has surprised me for sure, being a mere "flanker", but it's marked itself out as a possible for a decant, and it's nice when that happens.

6of1's avatar

Kanøn by Kanon

Not outdated, but not timeless... Perhaps "evocative of the era" is a better phrase to describe Kanon. Woody, powdery and I think I detect a very slight bit of something animal in the opening. The citrus could be fooling me, though. Flirts with old style barbershop without getting soapy and touches on 70s outdoorsy very well. A balanced scent that I find to be quite good. It doesn't seem to have changed much over the years, either. As noted, it is very affordable. My bottle says it is an EdT, but it seems rather to land in EdC territory -- at least that makes it hard to overapply!

professor goggles's avatar

(Untitled) by Martin Margiela

Definitely a unisex fragrance, and not feminine as listed here in the Directory, (Untitled) is not as interesting as I would have hoped from MMM, although I should have known, considering the recent step-down of Martin Margiela as head of the house he founded. The very fact they're releasing a perfume at all is a step in the wrong direction, in my opinion. Seeking a larger appeal through a more accessible product runs counter to the whole project begun by Martin Margiela, whose hallmarks have always been rigorous material-driven experimentation, serious craftsmanship and a fantastic sense of humor. The fragrance just doesn't quite carry this forward, but they're really striving hard to market it as if it does, except the humor part. Their ad campaign presents it as if it's some kind of chemical miracle. All perfumes rely on chemistry, and they don't need to beat us over the head with it as if it's something brand new. What next, a perfume in a test tube called (ExPeRiMeNt)? That's the kind of heavy-handedness they're resorting to in their ad campaign. MMM has never done that. Always they've insisted that their clothes speak for themselves, and the trompe l'oeil effects they achieve and the curiosity aroused by their very appearance have allowed them to do exactly that. Perhaps with a liquid scent, which cannot rely on visual appeal alone, other tricks are necessary to get the point accross, but I fear they've taken it too far and in the wrong direction.

It's nice, and that's its whole problem. L'Oreal helped them make it. It's a clean, green money-making machine.. It starts very fresh and soapy, but then there's a weird kind of sweet chocolate fruitiness that I found cloying, and then it disappears. Nothing sticks out. It doesn't last at all. For an expensive product, I'd hoped it would have some staying power or something that really distinguished it as new. That's all I'm looking for from them, and them especially: something new. And it's not. There's so many ways they could have played with the whole idea of perfume to create something more interesting, but they chose to play it safe and produce a very slickly marketed and accessible product with mass appeal, branding it with some clichés of minimalism and conceptualism. And frankly, where's the fun in that? As a perfume it's okay, and I'll definitely rotate it as a fresh spring and summer scent, so it gets a neutral rating from me. But as the début fragrance from one of my favorite fashion houses, I have to say I'm disappointed to say the least.

UPDATE: My expectations were simply too high, and I've had time to get to know the fragrance as it is. After several wearings, I've warmed to it. The chocolate accord in the opening is quirky. Chocolate has lots of tannins which have a bitter, astringent quality which lead naturally into the green galbanum heart of the thing. It's an odd take on chocolate, giving a flash of comforting warmth, which instantly switches into herbaceous green high gear. It fades to a wam comforting balsamic drydown. It's actually more complex than I gave it credit for and evokes that particularly French innocent fondness for sweet pâtisserie with a green accord that is actually quite sophisticated, an effect similarly achieved in L'Artisan's Mechant Loup with its hazelnut and woods. Sweet but smart.

01st October, 2010 (Last Edited: 27 June, 2011)

CoL's avatar

Pink Sparkle by Kylie Minogue

I love this! Fizzy citrus with a tiny touch of floral. Very happy fragrance, bubbly, like the lady herself!

CoL's avatar

Womanity by Thierry Mugler

This is yet another beauty from Mugler! Very different in the opening: starts with slightly sweet, slightly salty fruity note with a tiny touch of the caviar note coming through. It gives the fragrance a hint of "ocean" to it. Not aquatic as in other aquatic fragrances, actually "oceanic", almost fishy! Sounds odd and even unpleasant but this give the fragrance an animalistic edge. This note doesn't last too long and fades into the background popping out here and there to remind you of its presence.
    The fragrance then settles into a slightly sweet, slightly salty "plump" mild fig/fig wood accord. To my nose as it progresses there is a little touch of vanilla to it.
    I can honestly say, in the decades I have been involved in fragrance, I have never known a fragrance last so long! Also, my nose never seems to tire of it. Everyone eventually will get nose fatigue when smelling fragrances, but for some reason, I can constantly smell this!
    Mugler say that a new technology was involved in creating this fragrance, a technology that truly captures the essence of a substance that you could not normally extract a compound usable in fragrance production. I would assume this would the caviar note. Very clever, very Mugler!
    As much as this fragrance is pink and called Womanity, I find it really rather unisex. I think Mugler could have easily released this fragrance as a gender free and called it, Humanity.
    I'm a man and I will certainly be wearing this, a lot!

02 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 18 October, 2010)

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Ferrari Passion by Ferrari

Forgot all about this one. I can usually tell what the frags in my collection smell like just by looking at the bottle. But this I just couldn't remember. So I went for a test drive.

Lavender, citrus in the opening. This smells very 90s, FOETIDUS is right on with his review. I get Nautica Longitude Latitude and Calvin Klein Eternity. It also has that metallic tinge that some are declaring automotive. It is very generic, which makes it suitable for non-descript office and daily wear. It is not bad, but it is not wow. I would reserve it for not so hot weather, but certainly not for cold weather.

Overall, I rate it average. I don't expect much from a car compnay, even if they create some of the most desirable cars ever.

The Infidels by Agonist

I'll give it to The Infidels - it's not something I've smelled before. I find the accord a fairly linear thing, a big, urinous powder-puff the like of which owes something to Kouros in its animalic qualities, but here its something greener; namely, it's blackcurrant bud, nestled on a soft, powdery base. If, like me, you have a high tolerance for "weird" in your fragrance, you just may find this skanky-sour/pretty-powdery combination entertaining. I do, I'm left wishing there was more to it after the first hour or so.

Is it worth the price? Not for me. Besides, the "glass art" it comes on looks like a red delicious that's happy to see me - not something I want as the prize piece in my fragrance collection.

Tilda Swinton Like This by Etat Libre d'Orange

What's this - ELDO does Serge Lutens? Well, it sure smells like one, specifically Five O'Clock Au Gingembre meets Fille En Aiguilles, minus the pine.

Never mind that, though; this is a great fragrance in its own right.

I don't smell any of fleshy-farty odor of a newly carved pumpkin ( which I'm grateful for ), but instead a top note that smells for all the world of ginger and brown sugar. It's neither the bright freshly sliced note nor is it the powdery kind. Of all the ginger-flavored things I can reference, it's closest to smell of the syrup one occasionally finds candied ginger preserved in, if you mixed that half-and-half with molasses.

If all this sounds oppressively sugary, it's not, as the sweetness is restrained by an appealing booziness in the top notes and towards the base, a fade to immortelle and mild-mannered vetiver. Also, for a rich oriental, it's rather streamlined in feel, like the rough edges have been sanded off.

Quite possibly the best thing ELDO's released so far.

Les Nombres d'Or - Cuir by Mona di Orio

It's the lovechild of Yatagan and a vat of birch tar, I swear. It's dirty. It's smoky. It's meaty. And oh yes, it's very strong. Prepare to smell like a BBQ convention, as this leather sticks its burnt-bacon tongue right up your nose and doesn't let go.

brainpower1972's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Oud Cuir D'Arabie by Montale

I'm afraid that I don't particularly like the Montale house style of Oud + Rose. Oud Cuir D'Arabie does have those trademarks, but also a raw leather like smell as a counterbalance. This gives it something which a scent like Black Aoud very much lacks: balance. The oud/rose combination still is not very much my taste, but I do respect where the fragrance is going. For me that leads to a neutral rating, but if you like the general style of the house you should definitely try Oud Cuir D'Arabie.

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Opus I by Amouage

At first, I thought I liked Opus I.After trying this one again, I am convinced this just does not do well on my skin, like Gold Woman. On me it is a thin chypre - rather peculiar in smell . Out of the Opus trilogy ,this is the least outstanding for me though a scent of quality , I don't think it shines through on me.

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Les Nombres d'Or - Cuir by Mona di Orio

Begins well enough with pepper , juniper tar ,a touch of tobacco and new leather but proceeds to descend into a hell of thick body odor - probably due to a lethal overdose of castoreum but smelt like cumin overload on my skin. The BO smell took over completely and nothing else mattered but how much I wanted to chop my arm off where i had sprayed this on. A shame.

Late-Hit's avatar

Dolce Vita by Christian Dior

Hmmm... Although I was somewhat amused by the early hint of b.o. (cumin?) that at least one other reviewer noted, I was actually shocked by its quietness. Really... it seems rather weak.

During the drydown I also started to get the sense that I had smelled it before. Gres Cabaret came to mind, and so did Chopard Casmir. The woody fruitiness of Dolce Vita is similar to these two, bit without the sillage of either.

Final analysis: It's pleasant and lasts well on the skin, but you don't get much 'bang for the buck'.

adonis's avatar

Silver Musk by Nasomatto

Very long lasting ultra clean, yet thick scent. Sillage is good as well, although others could mistake the smell of Silver Musk for a high end body wash or shampoo. Not really controversial, yet magical in an interesting way. I understand the connection to elves, LOTR, and flying fairy fantasy creatures. Perhaps this is what Sookie Stackhouse smells like.

tott's avatar

Sweden Sweden

(Untitled) by Martin Margiela

Untitled has a sharp, almost sour green opening which quickly calms down and softens to reveal what smells like discrete orange blossoms and jasmine, along with some musk and warm woods. Low-key, pleasant and clean, bordering on soapy, without getting boring or clinical. Lasts a few short hours as a skin scent.

Boucheron pour Homme by Boucheron

I usually enjoy citrusy chypres but there is something staid and musty about BOUCHERON POUR HOMME that reminds me of nursing homes on tight budgets. While the drydown is soft and comforting, the journey is not; there's a lack of counterbalance to the sour-bitter facets. I have sampled the EDT a few times and given it more than a fair shot knowing the respect it gets here on Basenotes but what else can I say? It just didn't work out between us.

Philosykos by Diptyque

A scentscape of a fig garden, PHILOSYKOS leans ever so slightly towards the masculine side with its less citrusy, greener and earthier approach. I still prefer L'Artisan Parfumeur's interpretation though.

Kav's avatar

T Woods by Tiger Woods

I found it at a estate sale. Woods didn't know how to use gillette's razor and goo in a promo and it shows in this. Pour it on your local golf course grass and watch it die.

shoegal68's avatar

Lauren by Ralph Lauren

I wore this thoughout my teenage years back in the 80's. Every friend of mine wore this as well, we were a walking cloud of smell back then. I thought it was a wonderful scent but haven't smelled it for at least 15 years, alright who am I kidding 20 years. Recently, I found a vintage, unreformulated version and boy do I still like this scent, the combination of flowers and greens is still amazing after all these years. I can still smell the carnation and violets.