Fragrance Reviews from October 2010

mark_cole321's avatar
    mark_cole321

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

Although Drakkar Noir remains a classic scent from the 1980s, I don’t like it. It’s a fresh fougere scent that does not have much going for it in my opinion. It is not like Cool Water by Davidoff and feels mellow and hollow to me. It would have been nice if there was more complexity to this frag, but I’m just not finding it. The value proposition is not optimal either. Drakkar Noir can be a bit expensive depending on where one picks up a bottle. Many people will continue to buy this fragrance though simply because there is this sexy, alluring quality to it. Part of me thinks it was designed with females more in mind than males. I can’t understand the popularity of this frag, but the ladies seem to find it agreeable.

mark_cole321's avatar
    mark_cole321

PS by Paul Sebastian

Paul Sebastian is a refined, soft, gentlemanly fragrance. I like it. It can be powerful depending on how much is applied, so be careful with this one. It exudes the quality of the traditional up-and-comer, established, formal, and elegant. The notes are wonderful in this frag. The top notes smell is light and fluffy with the lavender dominating. The base notes reinforce the manly smell of this fragrance as the musk and patchouli combine to project an image of definitiveness. Its not a powerhouse fragrance like some other colognes from the 1980s out there. Paul Sebastian is for those evening occasions when you are dressed in business casual and enjoying a fine meal at a quality restaurant. A conservative choice because the fresh scents we often find today can be overpowering. Excellent value for the quality of this fragrance.

Dear John by B Never Too Busy Be Beautiful

Starts off really zesty, spicy and crisp, really lovely, however that first impression is quite short lived, and the lime, pine and coriander fade into the background very quickly. All that's left afterwards is a boring and very standard soapy scent. Hugely disappointing, because it really smells great to start off with. I guess I was just expecting something more unusual and special, since that's what I love about LUSH scents.
    The staying power is pretty pathetic, after half an hour it's almost completely gone. The one thing I do like about this scent once it's dried down and almost faded is the sort of gourmand cookie note that comes out, however it's not listed in the notes so I'm not sure where that comes from.

Ladyboy by B Never Too Busy Be Beautiful

I really wanted to like this because it seemed so unusual, and I like all the different notes by themselves, but somehow the combination (especially banana and violet) seems a little overwrought and synthetic. If only the chamomile were a little stronger! If this perfume were a person, he/she would be whiny, dramatic and annoying.
    This scent just seems really unsophisticated, and while I've smelled worse things, I definitely wouldn't wear this.

Superworldunknown by B Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful

Unfortunately the citrus notes used in this are a little too sharp at first, and remind me of toilet cleaner. I really think this could be a great fragrance if it were executed better, with milder citrus notes, that actually smell of fruit, not generic 'citrus' smell. On my skin, it smells of cheap public restroom soap after a few minutes. It's somewhat likeable, I guess, but not as complex as the long list of notes would suggest.

The Smell of Weather Turning by Gorilla Perfume

I think this is okay. It definitely does really well on it's theme - smelling this does conjure up some sort of autumnal feeling, but I'm not sure it's wearable. The mint is a little too toothpaste-like for my taste, and clashes with the oakwood. I really wish I could smell the nettle accord, but to me this is an entirely smoky fragrance without enough green notes to lighten it.

The Smell of Freedom by Gorilla Perfume

I think this is fantastic. Very spicy and woody but totally unisex with a very pleasant sweetness. It's calming yet somehow uplifting too. I'm not sure it's for everyone, but if you like brighter and fresher woody scents this is a really good choice.

Icon by Gorilla Perfume

I absolutely adore this. Very dark, complex and unusual. At first it's a tad strong and almost medicinal, but very quickly it develops into something very, very unique. In my opinion, the description on the Gorilla Perfume website totally applies. "If this perfume was a man, he'd be a troubled literary genius dressed in crushed purple velvet. If it were a drink, it'd be the underground choice du jour for poetry appreciation groups. Churchy myrrh and intoxicating orange blossom absolute form hypnotic combinations in this impossible-to-forget fragrance."

matheusmarraf's avatar
    matheusmarraf

Only The Brave by Diesel

Diesel only the brave, very sweet and has a aquatic citrus vibe, is definitely for a younger crowd, girls in High School/College, love this! The opening is best part, but it only lasts about 1-2 hours, after that it sticks to your skin, the smell after the opening is very linear.
    Only the brave is the most versatile fragrance by Diesel, you can wear it basically anywhere and in almost every season depending on your country. The projection is fairly good, and the longevity at least in my skin is incredible I get about 12-15 Hours.

BayKAT's avatar
    BayKAT

L'Air de Rien by Miller Harris

I kept my sample and came back to it after a month. This isn't a bad scent, it's just one that isn't my genre. I prefer this scent as a wafting halo; I don't want it right under my nose all day, but catching whiffs of it is nice

This is a white, poofy, powdery fragrance; I think of it as an 80's prom dress. I think I would like it more if it had a darker base, but thta probably wasn't the mood the artist was trying to evoke.

What makes it hard for me to appreciate this is heavy sweet note. You could almost spread L'air on a piece of toast and eat it; it's that strong.

I'm sure this has it's fans, it will certainly not offend anyone should you choose to wear it.

09 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 10th December, 2010)

Weimar27's avatar
    Weimar27

Enjoy by Jean Patou

A soapish beging but in a few seconds
    dries to a scent of black current tart
    and suble sweet banana it's refreshed
    with cassia and orange to make it zesty
    and the pear makes it smooth. for me
    in perfumes i'v always have a hard time
    detecting eather the rose or the jasmine
    notes. the drydown is with the usual
    mix of amber and musk with an occasional
    vanilla.

09 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 12 December, 2010)

Grottola's avatar
    Grottola

Baldessarini by Baldessarini

Slightly sweet, coniferous citrus-tobacco scent. This has actually been a favorite of mine for a long time. Just don't over-do it - no more than 4 sprays. Very good for formal occasions, and works best in summer in fall, at least for me. It smells really formal; however you can wear this out on the town. As I said though, don't over-do it, as that can lead to you smelling like a cheesy 80's club-hopper. Has a sort of creamy quality to it. Nice mint in there compliments the tobacco and fir notes, making it a little more refreshing. Can be found at discount stores like TJ Maxx for $25 bucks or less, nowadays.

EDIT: I didn't notice this was an Eau de Cologne. Well, it has great longevity for an Eau de Cologne! I get up to 7 or 8 hours!

09 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 24 December, 2010)

Zgb's avatar
    Zgb
    Croatia Croatia

Bang by Marc Jacobs

This scent is all about pepper. It reminds quite much of Le Male Terrible and Azzaro Visit because of that same pepper note. There is also something green-ish about it, the rest of the basenotes are lost in this huge amount of pepper. Longevity and projection are quite satisfying but I would not rush to buy this. If got it as a gift I'd keep it for a while before passing it to someone else. I'm sure it'll find plenty of noses wich will appreciate it. I do agree it is a night out scent.

09 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 11th December, 2011)

Zgb's avatar
    Zgb
    Croatia Croatia

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

Thumb down: I'm dissapointed. Incredible how much actually this fragrance is more refined and upgraded version of Boss Bottled Night. This house tries to follow trends obviously, not it's nose. Let us hope it is the first and the last mistake. Citrusy scent with incense in the background and also something sharp and bitter that reeks of synthetic I'm afraid. Marketing shows a city during night, well the scent really gives this dark-ish aura but there is absolutely nothing that distinguishes this fragrance in terms ˝I'm Chanel˝, no this fragrance when smelled says ˝I'm something trendy, don't you like me?˝ No, as a matter of fact I don't like you. If you were Davidoff, Clavin Klein or Hugo Boss I would have liked you because then it would make sense to me.

Thumb up: geez I was harsh. Zealously harsh, obviously. This scent is much better than described, though Bottled Night connection remains, Chanel Bleu sits well with me now to a point I think I might own it. Still, not a hype or anything groundbreaking, however it took me some time to come to realise that this scent has something about it that makes me wanna wear it and makes me feel good. Strange, I know. Back then I just bashed it for being uninspiring, now I see and appreciate its complexity.

09 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 21st June, 2012)

coolnose's avatar
    coolnose
    Morocco Morocco

Happy for Men by Clinique

I used to like Chanel Allure Homme but ultimately became bored with it as it is a boring fragrance. I then tried this recently and decided it is very similar to Allure but...even more boring, bland etc. This does not make me feel happy or even lift my spirit in any way. However it is not an offensive smell, just too typical for me to care about it.

JaimeB's avatar
    JaimeB

XII L’Heure Mystérieuse by Cartier

Notes: Jasmine, Patchouli, Coriander, Elemi, Incense, Nutmeg
    ------------------
    A floral-oriental with good projection and sillage early on, gradually toning down to a tad closer to the skin. The coriander, nutmeg, and elemi in the mix keep the scent fresh and somewhat spicy, while the jasmine heart and the woody-oriental base make it smooth and creamy. This wears nicely on the skin, the quality of the ingredients making it pleasant, if not exactly ground-breaking. The warmest of Les Heures de Cartier series thus far, it is the most soothing to the senses, and also the most mysterious, hence the sobriquet, L'Heure Mystérieuse: Midnight, the witching hour — bewitching indeed!

zztopp's avatar
    zztopp

Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain

Notes: Vanilla, spices, benzoin, frankincense, cedar, pink pepper, bergamot, Bulgarian rose and ylang ylang.

Guerlain's S. Double Vanille (SDV) might be an "exclusive" Guerlain vanilla but its also a strange, somewhat disappointing creation. I suspect there is very little, if any, actually quality bourbon or tahiti vanilla extract in SDV. Its a double vanilla in spirit only...a double crosser..

From a house which has such an intimate association with vanilla, JP-Guerlain decided to go the fantasy recreation way - i.e., to recreate the aroma of of freshly cut open vanilla pods. The extract obtained from vanilla pods have a distinct rich aroma (quite a bit superior to the overly sugary sweet synthy ethyl-vanillin), which for technical reasons is much different from the tobacco-ish, rich, intense, somewhat medicinal sweetish aroma of fresh vanilla pods. Instead of creating a unique new vanilla fragrance based on the best essences, Guerlain opted to re-create the vanilla pod aroma using various notes...an admirable challenge, but I am not sure it was worth it. First, the vanilla pod aroma isn't the most attractive smell. Second, the recreation found in SDV lacks the bombastic impact of the actual thing, whether due to material quality or perfumer skill. SDV opens with a strong boozy note, with hints of bergamot, and before unfolding into a collage of woody notes dusted with light spices and a cool rose note. The "woody" note has a strong cedar character, and in concert with the booze and florals forms a very persistent and linear accord. There's a harsh element to this cedar/wood note, and to me it and the booze note overpower SDV way too much. Some woody incense in the base is, wait for it, finally joined by some typical Guerlinadish vanilla and thats about the full show here.

From the house that gave us great vanilla dominated Guerlinade and the classic Shalimar (parfum), SDV seems like Guerlain were trying to hard. I have issues with the perfume brief, as well as the composition and some of the notes. It has its fans, but if those fans have worn some of the Guerlain classics over the years, I can't imagine why they would go gaga over something which smells like the concept of Shalimar wafting through the "liberal-with-synthetics recreation" brain cells of Francis Kurdjian..

Sunsetspawn's avatar
    Sunsetspawn

Mediterraneum by Versace

I wanted to say that Mediterraneum isn't a good name for this fragrance, but then I remembered that I've never left the US and perhaps it is a good name. It's great stuff, regardless of whether or not the name is appropriate. Every description here is accurate. This is a big, sweet, spicy orange. There is also some patchouli and light woods underneath, and although the patchouli doesn't seem that noticeable, it really is steering the ship. It's what causes this fragrance to stay out of the "light," so to speak.

So as fantastic as this is, there really is another question at stake here. Due to the fact that this is discontinued, is it worth seeking out and becoming attached? Is it worth the risk of getting a watered down bottle from a scammer on an auction site?

I don't know yet, but I have a listing in my favorites.

blondex199667's avatar
    blondex199667

No. 19 by Chanel

A cold, lovely little bitch of a fragrance. Plus, it inspired one of my favorite quotes from Luca Turin. He says of No. 19, that "this extraordinary perfume appeals to any woman who has ever wished to know what it is to be heartless." and gives it 5-stars. Gorgeous and haughty; soulless.

Ms Rochambeau's avatar
    Ms Rochambeau

Success is the Essence of New York / Andy Warhol Success is a Job in New York by Bond No. 9

I'm not a big Bond No. 9 fan, but when I smelled this in one of those fold-out ads in Vogue Magazine last year, I decided that I wanted it. First of all, while I know most perfumes these days, even the best ones, are composed of mostly synthetic notes, some manage to smell less synthetic than others. With that said, Success smells a little too obviously synthetic to me, but I can live with that because it has just the right combination of notes that satisfy my rare craving for a sweet, spicy gourmand scent. That's the only time I reach for it and I couldn't see wearing something like this every day. I don't see the spiciness of this scent as sexy. To me it comes off as playful.

Longevity and sillage is good so just one good spritz to each wrist is enough to last all day for me. I would say that this is a little more on the feminine side since most guys I talk about scent with say they don't like scents that are sugary sweet like Success can come off.

Orgoglio italianO's avatar
    Orgoglio italianO

Royal Water by Creed

This is a refreshing citrus fragrance. Love it... Just can't seem to purchase due to terrible longevity on my skin. What a downer. I really liked this CREED offering while it lasted :-( just too much $ for poor longevity.

jujy54's avatar
    jujy54

Émeraude by Coty

After reading reviews that compared Emeraude to Shalimar, I had to try some, so I had a test of the EDT in Walgreens. To my nose there is no resemblance. I smell a heavy vetiver note and I don't like vetiver.

msleslie's avatar
    msleslie

Mazzolari Bergamotto Mediterraneo by Mazzolari

I got this in a grab bag of samples and had never heard of it before. I like and enjoy bergamot very much and it is intense and sharp in this fragrance. It seems more typically masculine than unisex, but I did enjoy wearing it each time I tried it. Although I have sampled and liked the Le Labo Bergamot and the Different Company takes on bergamot okay I prefer this one due to its tartness and lovely drydown.

Late-Hit's avatar
    Late-Hit

Cardin by Pierre Cardin

I guess I'll have to tread a line between the preceeding reviews. Cardin is floral, but its also spicey. And it is animalic in a way that shows that it is from another place and time (the 1970's). Other than that, it's not terribly unusual, from what I can tell.

For this review, my sample was a 1/2 oz splash bottle with glass stopper + plastic insert. The juice looks looks thick, dark and potent, so maybe I have the edp version? Overall, the package is somewhat 'above average'.

Anyway, it's big stuff. Anyone who likes Paloma Picasso or First will probably enjoy it.

Blenheim Bouquet by Penhaligon's

Lemon and pepper in a dry martini. Utterly delightful, refined, and sophisticated. I wish it lasted longer and cost less, but other than that zero complaints. Believe the hype.

Eau du Coq by Guerlain

Spectacular. I find it very hard to pick out the individual notes in this beautifully blended, fresh, extremely complex fragrance. A bright, utterly characteristic citrus of gossamer lightness, with a complex and slightly bitter herbal heart. It gives the tiniest suggestion of something foul, not in a bad way. Sophisticated, sexy, could be unisex, and unlike anything in the boring mainstream. Alas I find the longevity to be rather weak, which I guess is not too surprising for a classic eau de cologne. A must-have.

Marlborough by Geo F Trumper

Bright, astringent geranium yields to Trumper's signature blend of masculine spices. Like a greenhouse, or smelling the stem of a flowering plant. I find this fragrance rather smoky and bitter, so I was surprised to read so many reviews touting its sweetness. It's a lovely, sophisticated scent nonetheless, extremely natural smelling, excellent longevity.

Royall Muske by Royall Lyme of Bermuda

Sweet, surprisingly delicate, and delightful. Royall Muske is fresh and natural, quite light, and sweet without being sugary or cloying. Not a nasty animalic musk by any stretch, nor is it a complex fragrance. I don't get any of the complex spice or bay rum scents that other basenoters detect, other than the absolute faintest trace of bay leaves. Creamy and pleasant, could be worn by a daring woman. It smells like something you would want to eat. Decent longevity. Inexpensive and excellent.

Vetiver by Etro

Oily, harsh, dry, very natural smelling vetiver and not much else. Extremely pungent, thank god it sits close to the body (as other reviews have said). I find this quite one-note, which is fine since vetiver is complex and interesting on its own. Good longevity.

Newport (new) by Caswell-Massey

A generic, synthetic smelling aquatic with barbershop elements. It smells nice, but not terribly natural or interesting, which is disappointing given Caswell-Massey's long history. Inoffensive. CM makes a Newport scented talc that is rather nicer than the cologne.