Fragrance Reviews from October 2010

Gilgamesh2003's avatar

Fat Electrician by Etat Libre d'Orange

Really superb, and more wearable than some of ELdO's more outre offerings. Fat Electrician is basically vetiver and sweet myrrh, which is kind of brilliant since it pairs vetiver's dry, earthy masculinity with the (dry, earthy) feminine sweetness of myrrh. Very sexy and interesting, very high quality ingredients. Check the silly sales narrative that goes along with it (something about a sexually ambiguous electrician from New Jersey) for a laugh. Excellent longevity with demure projection. Bravo!

Gilgamesh2003's avatar

Bravado 3 by Baxter of California

I get a very, very light floral, like an extremely watered down Cool Water. Quite generic and bland (very Californian, maybe). Unlikely to offend, but not in any way memorable. Decent longevity. Not a bad scent, but I can't see any reason to wear it when there are SO many more interesting options.

mandarinita's avatar

FlowerbyKenzo by Kenzo

This smells powdery, and doesn't wear off....I'm not a fan, I don't like smelling like a baby. A friend gave me a small little bottle of it....and I haven't made a dent in it.

Nile_Etland's avatar

10 Corso Como by 10 Corso Como

I first bought this about 7-8 years ago from Liberty's in London and was quite blown away by it - tremendous sandalwood and rich, spicy oudh, drying down to a sort of rosy incense - all in all, smooth, sophisticated and unusual.

Current bottle bought about 2008 and it's not quite the same. You still get the sandalwood/oudh and it still dries down quite elegantly but the quality has changed and I think it's in the sandalwood which comes over a bit stonger and somewhat harsh. It's still a very pleasant fragrance but not as beautiful as before and I'm not sure that I'm going to be in the market for another bottle.

I'll give it a thumbs-up - but only just.

oroboros72's avatar

Wind Song by Prince Matchabelli

On me, this fragrance smells lovely. It reminds me of fresh-tilled earth and gardening, but without that heavy-earthy feel. It seems ancient and historical to me. I can't pinpoint why, but I imagine women in ancient Greece or during the European renaissance smelling like this.

PerfumeCollector's avatar

Sex in the City - Kiss by In Style USA

I bought this fragrance for my wife totally in the blind, I could not resist the price ($8.00 shipping included) and what a pleasant surprise!!!! Very unique and unusual fragrance. It smells like anything you have smelled before. Very intriguing flowery opening notes with Jasmine in the forefront, with some other flower notes that I do not recognize, with a very faint citric background. This develops into a musky woody note that lasts and lasts and lasts. Can't help it but give it a thumbs up

10th October, 2010 (Last Edited: 30th November, 2010)

PerfumeCollector's avatar

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

To paraphrase Christopher Marlowe: Was this the perfume that launch'd a thousand ships?
    To me is the best women perfume ever. I bought it blind for my wife and I am glad I did. She loves it too.
    I agree that is a little unisex, and I should try it on myself ine of this days, but I think I must be in a very special state of mindo to use it LOL.
    Along this I bought for her its flanker Black Orchid Voile de Fleur and unfortunately it's been discontinued (and it is not in this datase either) and to me it is the second best feminine perfume, second only to the original.
    If you have a chance of getting either one, please do, there is nothing like these two in the whole world

10th October, 2010 (Last Edited: 19 December, 2010)

pearlfingering's avatar

Schizm by Ayala Moriel

The name is misleading. There is no contradiction or struggle here. This nouveau chypre hits the ground running with a burst of pepper. It is oriental in the sense that gunpowder tea is. Cepes play up the indolic tuberose, so you have a sexy, gourmand floral for the autumn.

10th October, 2010 (Last Edited: 26 December, 2010)

Pleski's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

I was put off by the price too, but on getting a sample I really came to enjoy the subtle, sublime and rare scent of true violets. I even like the sweet, oily, almost mucosal scent that's kinda sexy and healthy. The ingredients are top notch, nothing synthetic whatsoever.

So I coughed up the $180 for a 100ml EDP. I've spent easily that much on perfumes I came to detest... what a waste. I've found so few scents I really like, so to find one I've come to love, and better still, feel comfortable wearing any time, I think it's worth shelling out.

I now wear this pretty much every day. It's the only scent I'm comfortable with applying directly. Even Vetiver and Terre'D'Hermes, which I love, I wouldn't apply directly.

10th October, 2010 (Last Edited: 09 April, 2011)

Tony T's avatar

Imari by Avon

burberry for men. very unisex. my girlfriend wore this yesterday and is very identicalas i had burberry years ago. long lasting cold weatehr scent..

merw's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Lady Million by Paco Rabanne

I agree with Mimi Gardenia's comment below, Lady Million is not a very interesting fragrance. After the adorable and sexy-to-boot 1 Million, I really hoped Lady Million to be of that kind. Oh yes it is beautiful, it's not overpowering, it's warm and sensual in a sweet feminine way. The fruity notes at top never quite disappear, even after an hour and a half, I can smell them and they give the fragrance a nice freshness through the weight of honey. I think just because they've been so popular lately, the word "fruity" sounds like an offense to most people but Lady Million's fruitiness is not run-of-the-mill, not overly sweet either, it has a subtle taste. I liked this one a lot. It's not the most unique fragrance but it's wearable, nice and warm.

merw's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Love, Chloé by Chloé

Oh my! Have you ever experienced a dream that had begun very sweet, colorful and enjoyable turn into a nightmare? If not, Love, Chloé will give you that effect easily. When I was at a store trying fragrances a week ago, the salesewoman showed me this and as if I sensed what was coming, I wanted to try it on paper first. And, at first smell, it was a sophisticated (like all Chloé stuff), pretty and a classy flowery fragrance. I loved it that minute and sprayed on my arm. Then, after 5 minutes it began to change; as if escalating some stairs, the fragrance become overpowering step by step. After 20 minutes, I couldn't bear to carry it on my arm because it gave me headache and made me nauseated, it was incredibly cloying. Moreover, it become super-soapy. I had a three other fragrances on my arms and Love overcame all of them. The cardigan I wore that day, smelled Love for three days that I had to wash it in the end. A great disappointment this one is. Pretty bottle, pretty case, pretty name but a cloying fragrance.

Grottola's avatar

Chic for Men by Carolina Herrera

On my skin, this skips right past the top notes (except the watermelon which sticks around for a little bit) and goes straight to the middle and base - it becomes a wonderful fall/winter scent. I don't really like the name, but this is a wonderful cologne. Similar to La Nuit De L'Homme, however, this lacks cloying sweetness that the said flanker of L'Homme has - while still maintaining some sweetness. Leather, black pepper, cinnamon, woods, amber and musk. All catalysts for a semi-sweet warm weather winner. Lasts a while, definitely, and as a reviewer below said, bears resemblance to Old Spice, of course better in quality.

Cool bottle. Best Herrera.

rhodes22's avatar

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

a very dark scent
    which grows on you in time with wear
    worth the investment

shamu1's avatar

Wild Country by Avon

This is a good, solid old school barbershop fougere. This is not a unique scent at all, and the similarities to old fougere classics like Clubman, Brut and Canoe are obvious. I prefer Canoe because it's a bit smoother and longer lasting, but I prefer Wild Country to Clubman and Brut because it's warmer and richer. It is a very simple fragrance, and I don't understand how there can be so many notes in its pyramid. I certainly don't smell most of them. This is just a very basic fougere.

As Pollux said, this is a perfect barbershop fragrance because it smells like it was meant to slap on after a shave, leaving you with a nice manly scent to start the day off with and staying with you in discreet fashion for just a few hours, not some pounding powerhouse that pumps out clouds of sillage all day. The lasting power is pretty good for such an old school scent - about 4 or 5 hours.

My biggest complaint is that this is a hard fragrance to reapply. It is incredibly powdery, but when you put this on right after a shower the powderiness tones down quickly, and Wild Country becomes warm, smooth and slightly sweet. Reapplying this mid-day though is tough because the dry powderiness smells cloying on reapplication, and it doesn't mellow out like it does when you put it on right after a shower. Wild Country is a one-shot deal for the day for me, which kind of limits its usefulness for me.

Despite these criticisms, I really like Wild Country, and for the money, it can't be beat.

MY RATING: 7.5/10

shamu1's avatar

Perry Ellis for Men (new) by Perry Ellis

Like most perfume enthusiasts, I get tired of the same designer cliches you see in masculine fragrances. But every once in while, a designer, though not deviating from the norm, just nails it and produces something that can be enjoyed by even the biggest perfume snob.

The new Perry Ellis For Men can be regarded as a conglomerate of numerous masculine cologne cliches - aquatic, fruity oriental, and woody-spicy - but it hits all of those buttons so well that the collective whole turns out to be very wearable and quite good. This is a sweet but light woody oriental with a subtle vibe or leather and booze that prevents this from being dull and androgynous, and makes this a pretty masculine smelling scent. There is also a very slight aquatic feel running oh so subtely under the surface of this scent, and it actually makes the fragrance even more complex and interesting. I hate aquatic notes, but it is used in a very restrained manner here, and it adds to the overall masculine vibe it has.

Granted, the most hardcore niche fragrance snob will still turn his nose up at this (they are incurable), but I believe even jaded perfume enthusiasts will find something to enjoy here. It's not groundbreaking at all, but Perry Ellis have created a winner here.

MY RATING: 7.5/10

Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur

If you like this, but dislike the pricetag, you must try "Max Mara" by Max Mara, which is a über-sweetened version of "Bois Farine". Both perfumes are "Floral Woody Musk's". But the sugared "Max Mara" has a nicer price-tag to it. You simply must try this! You will get a lot of perfume for the money if you buy "Max Mara" (which is also one my signature-fragrances - love love love !!!).

Max Mara by Max Mara

This is a über-sweetened version of "Bois Farine" by L'Artisan. Both perfumes are "Floral Woody Musk's". But this sugared "Max Mara" has a nicer price-tag to it. You simply must try this! A lot of perfume for the money! One of my signature-fragrances - love love love !!!

Pink Pearls by Lulu Guinness

A summer limited edition. The bottle is a flat large round all done in pink with a black cap. On the front is painted a three strand necklace of pink pearls.
    On the back spelling Pearls vertically:

P-oised
    E-legant
    A-ttractive
    R-adiant
    L-adylike
    S-ophisticated

This one opens with crisp and sweet floral notes mingled with light citrus notes. A wonderful drydown on this one for those who love sandalwood and amber, sweet and powdery.

Notes: Opens with a burst of orange flower, tangerine peel, and pink grapefruit. Whimsical heart notes of pink tulip, buttercup accord, and apricot nectar. Finishes with a soft embrace of tonka bean, warm sandalwood, and sheer amber.
    Pink Pearls - The "radiant" floral features notes of pink grapefruit, tangerine peel, orange blossom, pink tulip, buttercup, apricot, tonka bean, amber, and sandalwood. The fragrance is a tie-in with Guinness’s new book, Put On Your Pearls, Girls! and was available in 100 ml Eau de Parfum.

Rose Absolue by Yves Rocher

This IS 5 stars in my book! Smells expencive & niche! Good lastingpower too! This smells exactly like something by Jean Patou or some overpaid niche-brand would sell!!! An instant moder classic it is!!!

BTW: I think many of you would be interested in what the famous LUCA TURIN wrote about this in "THE GUIDE"?
    So here it goes:

"3 Stars - fresh Rose: Rose Absloute is by far the best of Yves Rocher's latest set of three upmarket fragrances, a comfortable, lemony-powdery rose that feels strinkingly real, like the headspace rose reconstructions of the eighties, on a background of tonka and patchouli. Far better than one has any right to expect given the bargain price less than $40 for 2 ounces. LT"

Who could have said it better?

11th October, 2010 (Last Edited: 24 October, 2010)

Dambrosia by Profumum

A deeper woody version of L'Artisan Figuer Extreme (but with tons more staying-power!!). Starts of with an entre of pear and crushed almonds on green ripe figs (i'd love to eat that as an entre - yum!!). Then it settles down to a fresh incense-like sandalwood, while the entre of figs turns way way darker, with a brown sugar sweetness. This is not that super-fresh stingy PHILOSYKOS kind of figue (which I really dislike) - it's a mature, sweet developed sandal-incense figue, way way more luxurious!! I REALLY love it! Aaaah :)

suz894's avatar

Thunderstorm by Demeter Fragrance Library

I found Demeter's Dirt to be interesting and pleasant, and I love the outdoors, so I expected to like Thunderstorm. Unfortunately I do not. On me the opening was all grass, but not in a good way. From there it moved to that smell you get when wires are burning, with just a hint of something (maybe floral?) underneath, and that's where it stayed.

I will say it lasts longer than my other Demeter, so if you like the scent that's a plus.

BayKAT's avatar

Memoir Man by Amouage

So, after reading Mimi's review, I see I"m not alone on this: I like Amouage's male fragrances but NOT their women's.

On my chemistry Memoir Man jumps right to the tobacco note, which is wrapped in incense. I get no florals, no herbs, no greenery.

Thank you Amoauge for that. I love this, wow! Yes it is masculine, but it doesn't wear like a traditional cologne; it is very edgy and 'black'.

If I sat across from a blind date and he smelled of Memoir man here is what I would think:

He is probably an intellectual, has a strong moral character, leans towards liberal ideals, can find beauty in any form.

So while I like this, I will say that on me it didn't last long; and would probably need a heavier hand when applying.

ji-force's avatar

Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur by Pierre Cardin

Chalk it up to my inexperience perhaps, but this scent comes off to me as really bitter lemon Pledge (yes, the spray you shine wood furniture and floorboards with). Very sharp, citrus-ey, and bitter. Offensively so.

I'll have to pass on using this one regularly, which is unfortunate, because I now have 4.2 oz of this stuff sitting in my closet.

Rush for Men by Gucci

My absolute fav hands down. If anyone knows where I can get this at a decent price....PLEASE let me know.

Driven by Derek Jeter

I think this is a great knock off to ADG. For some of the younger crown that dont have the money for Armani go with this. Great in warmer weather and actually lasts.

A*Men Pure Coffee by Thierry Mugler

This one isnt bad at all. I just think they got it right the first time. Starts out with a strong coffee bean note. Not that of Rochas but more of a fresh bean smell. Gret for fall but once its gets to cold I have to turn to the A*men. Some things just cant be duplicated.

wggmn3's avatar

Very Cool for Men by Tommy Bahama

Its clear, crisp color nearly tells the whole tale: a no-nonsense water aroma, a relaxed, fresh yet sensuous water...Along with a few other aromas it dries down to the closest thing to clean, clear water that I've ever smelled in a fragrance (at least when I have sprayed it on my fore-arm). Yes, “cleanliness” might be another good term...Some say it is "run of the mill" but either I'm too inexperienced or this fragrance is too simple for, or simply too subtle for them (of course it depends on your skin much less your nose and, for that matter I also believe, it depends on where you're from)...And yes, I can hear some, if not many, of you facetiously asking,"Hey, if you think Very Cool comes close to the smell of pure water, why don't you simply turn on the faucet and splash your face to your heart's content, or take a shower, or jump into that pool?" All I can possibly say (somewhat facetiously) is, "read no further, and cut me a break, pleeezzz".

It opens with a somewhat herby note (not herbal - if you get my subtle drift) with a minty coolness (and, to me, not particularly "very cool", in any sense; ultimately more classy than cool) followed immediately by a citrus tanginess with whispers of tropical (possibly some Mediterranean) fruits and flowers (and heyyy, apparently even some desert-y ones...what's an oasis without a desert!)...'fraid I must read the ingredients to tell precisely which ones; that's its "je ne sais quoi" aspect…

In the warm down its minty herbiness becomes more sublimely and subtly spicy...and evermore more powdery clean with a bit of vanilla...more reflectively luminous than sensually deep...smelling more like a gentle rain on a rather sunny beach (hmmm, now what beach?) rather than the sea itself...

But, in my opinion, it is the dry down that really counts, however subtle and simple, even however "run of the mill" it may be to others...

In the end it dries down to drying linen, powdery with a soupçon of vanilla and an ever-more subtle splash of mojito (lime and rum - a clear rum, or is that a refreshing gin and tonic with less lime than one smelt at the start?)....Ultimately it evokes a youthful swimmer stepping fresh out of a fresh pool (ready for a shower - with TB's soap - and that refreshing mojito...or a somewhat similar summertime cocktail,,,without the mint?)...I also agree that there is something metallic here too, a masculine, stainless steeliness (whatever that smells like?)...

For a rather non-mysterious fragrance there is also something quite mysterious here in the mélange of aromas, a “je ne sais quoi” to be more (un-)precise...Yet in the end, as I've stated, it is simply a no-nonsense clean and cool (but not too cool) water fragrance...Hardly an urbane sophisticate yet nonetheless unpretentiously classy and sensuously refreshing, even, one might say, not necessarily transcendent yet often sublime...Maybe what an urban sophisticate might wear in the Hamptons or La Jolla or on the Mediterranean or the Islands, or even more far-reached, exotic climes. For some of us we might simply wish to aromatically evoke those places no matter where we are or what the weather might be...

Also love the clear, unpretentious bottle allegedly evocative (as are most all TB bottles) of a type of rum bottle (Legend, Pyrat, Captain Kidd?) with, in this particular case, a cork-like cap! (The other caps are clearly meant to signify winches.) Actually, to me for some reason, the bottle's shape evokes image of sailboat chocks and cleats, or even a wind-filled square rigger sail...Curious,TB uses a very different design for its own rum bottle. I also read that the ratio of cost to quality makes TB's rum not worth the investment; of course I find that true for most everything they sell - except their fragrances...But this isn't supposed to be about rum. and other TB stuff, is it?

I started out simply intending to write a line or two stating that TB Very Cool was (upon dry down) the closest fragrance, in my experience, to the simple, no-nonsense aroma of clear and clean, pure and fresh WATER. Before I got carried away that is essentially all I wanted to say. I'm not claiming it to be the best of fragrances, nor the best of "aqua" fragrances, but TB Very Cool just might be the best "water" fragrance...I only wish it had a bit more strength, longevity and sillage!!!...

Last edited by wggmn3; Today at 07:47 PM.

WildThingy's avatar

Cyprus Cyprus

Encens & Bubblegum by Etat Libre d'Orange

Like it! The raspy aldehydes combine well with the sweet incense. It is an unusual strong fragrance to me. Nearly unbearable for a male.
    It can be worn with dark and neutral cloths, as to contrast the scents vivid expression. But it is a matter of taste.

An other issue could be the long lasting somewhat boring dry down. Alas, the fragrance is true to its name in that it might become as boring as an old chewing gum (fruity kind) or a catholic mess. It would have been a more homey pet with a less sweat tail. Nontheless, something new I'm fond of.

GelbeDomino's avatar

Argentina Argentina

Sa Majesté la Rose by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

What a fitting tribute to the queen of flowers!
    SMlR manages to capture at once the seemingly contradictory simplicity and complexity of the rose
    This is one big, although not overwhelming, rose. Rose haters please abstain from wearing and even trying.
    Not a rose in disguise, tempered with violet or rendered more masculine by patchouli, but a creamy, honeyed and (of course) majestic rose...a masterfully executed scent of undeniable beauty .
    Even though I tend to think of fragrances as genderless, this one is clearly feminine to my nose.