Fragrance Reviews from October 2010

Musk for Men by Coty

This fragrance is a favorite of mine. It smells so sweet and clean. Its longevity is not bad either, though it could be a bit better. It seems to be the type of scent that people don't tend to rave about. Usually when I wear this and ask friends of family how it smells, i get comments such as; "hmm...its ok" or "its alright". So with that said, its not the scent that will have everyone flocking around you, but...it wont repel anyone either. As for me, I love it and I will keep buying it. It is a good scent for every day use. Its not too strong, not too weak, just right, therefore...I LOVE IT!

11th October, 2010

Grottola's avatar

Karma by Gorilla Perfume [Lush]

Changed my mind on this - the cilantro/cumin smell in Karma gives it a dirty taco odor.

11th October, 2010 (Last Edited: 22 December, 2010)

neal's avatar

Puro Lino by Puro Lino

As weylin mentions,"Puro Lino starts out with a quite powerful liquid detergent opening." For me it never really releases the liquid laundrey detergent scent. I really wanted to like this one but after a half dozen attempts over two years it's a no-go. Better options are Prada Infusion D'homme, Helmut Lang EDC, Penhaligon's Castille and of course Gendarme.

11th October, 2010 (Last Edited: 13 September, 2011)

The_Cologneist's avatar

Fahrenheit 32 by Christian Dior

Simply put. Odd. Not only odd, but bad. With a possible brilliant set of notes, the outcome is pretty horrid. Smells like cheap vanilla, mint, powder, and overdose of neroli, and a very bland vetiver, mixed with rubber. Very off putting; and rather insulting to the Fahrenheit brand.

Somewhat similar to Hermessence Vanille Galante.

11th October, 2010 (Last Edited: 11th April, 2013)

cheryl's avatar

Sikkim by Lancôme

I found these notes on the internet:
    "ylang-ylang, jasmine, galbanum, oakmoss, leather, patchouli".
    It seems there is an original version from the 70's and a modern (re)release. No idea what I am sampling as it a mini edt (I'm guessing it's oldish). It opens in a dry lemony (maybe petitgrain) swirl. And then there is a fresh greeness. In the mid notes there is the faint suggestion of toast (?) or I am possibly crazy. In the EDT there are no basenotes to speak of. A faint suggestion of the dry green and white floral notes remain.

cheryl's avatar

Or Noir by Pascal Morabito

Here are the notes quoted from the FRAGRANTICA website:
    "Top notes are iris, mandarin and black currant bud. Heart: gardenia, bergamot, jasmine, May rose, narcissus and lily of the valley. Base: oak moss, vanilla, ylang-ylang and clove."
    I gave this a trial as I am usually interested in iris and rose. To my mind this is an oriental/gardenia perfume. Is that a category? I don't know. This smells of rose + old flowers soap burdened with darker notes. Maybe the cassis is there giving an effect or wineyness to the rose (not a fresh spring rose). Then bergamont comes in lays a blanket over it all and smothers it. It seems to be a kind of masculine scent though not sure it would appeal to any men. It's not doing much for me, though Or Black is fantastic.

Fracas by Robert Piguet

Fracas is my favorite feminine, not counting Mitsouko which I'd classify as unisex. This is my idea of a great floral and all sophisticated women should wear this at least once. It brings about all kinds of images of midcentury icons: Lana Turner, Lauren Bacall, Rita Hayworth slinking across the black and white screen in silks and satins.

Fracas represents class in a bottle and may it long thrive: Vive Fracas!

Pour Un Homme by Caron

As a champion of the Old School, I'd love to love every one of the classic men's fragrances from the past. It is with some displeasure, then, that I can't wholeheartedly embrace Caron's Pour Un Homme.

I originally owned the after shave. From it I got none of the fabled lavender; rather it was pretty much a nutty vanilla from start to finish. I picked up a bottle of the EDT, and, yes, the lavender is there. As noted by many previous reviewers, Pour Un Homme starts with a big blast of lavender which recedes quite quickly in the wake of the rose and vanilla. Once the rose sits down, the vanilla not only stands up taller but gets on its chair and shouts. From then on, this is more or less a linear vanilla fragrance. Not since Royal Secret For Men have I smelled such a baker's pantry. The vanilla in Caron's product is top notch; no drugstore fragrance corner-cutting here. But the fact remains that if you don't love vanilla, you won't love this. I confess that I am not a vanilla aficionado, save the miraculous Jaipur Pour Homme EDP. While I'd prefer more complexity, there are plenty of straightforward scents that line my collection (such as Agua Lavanda for a lavender soliflore). I simply can't get that into such a sweet gourmand vanilla. If you are a vanilla hound, there probably aren't any much better than this.

Orgoglio italianO's avatar

Straight to Heaven by By Kilian

A great fragrance with moderate silage & longevity. But this is the third fragrance that resembles M7 and Bois d'Ombrie. Out of the 3 I still prefer Bois d'Ombrie

choombak's avatar

India India

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

The "extreme" reviews are a good indication of the potency of this fragrance. You can have either a love or a hate relationship with this one. It makes a very, very strong statement, and is for the man who is assertive and highly confident. The clove opening is distinct, but I love the base note - incense, it lasts, and lasts, and lasts. It is my favorite perfume, and I keep on returning to this one, no matter what new fragrances I try. Love or hate relation, remember? :-)

vintage*red's avatar

L'Instant de Guerlain by Guerlain

What Tocade is to the rose, L'Instant is to the lily. Both were created by Roucel. Both are florals. Both rely on vanilla. That is where the similarity ends. Tocade has a lovely peach "lift" which brightens what could be a dull fragrance. L'Instant has no such lift. It is a lateral lily. I kept waiting for something more, something else (I mean, after all, this is a Guerlain! ). I did a side by side comparison with Anais Anais, another lily fragrance, which seems positively cerebral now. Anais Anais starts out a citrus lily and ends a lovely leather/suede lily. L'Instant goes through no such metamorphosis. Having said all of this, I do own L,Instant and will wear it on those occasions when I am not feeling up to any challenges.

Balvon's avatar

Lithuania Lithuania

Red Vetyver by Montale

Red Vetyver
    I love it. It´s an extravagant fragrance. Super silage, super longevyti

Mar Azul's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

Diesel Zero Plus by Diesel

First I tended to like it. Mostly because it reminded me of the 90s in a very warm and touching way. Maybe there were too many people wearing this around me back then and maybe it reminded me the smell of Diesel stores then although I just suppose this.
    Nevertheless, this remained the only trick of this fragrance for me. It just somehow falls apart to its parts, no consistence. It's the cherry-cinnamon coke - spicy 'red' part and then the dry powdery base, a little similar to Burberry Touch but without any depth and much cheaper smelling. So it's like the fragrance is divided in these two layers and they never connect in a convincing way.
    I thought Zero Plus would make a nice everyday fragrance but this doesn't work for me either: too obvious somehow . Maybe romantic, but in the way certain shots in fashion magazines are romantic: you don't actually see people with feelings, you see the clothes. But even if this is your kind of thing, you'd want to go for something more up-to-date.

Mar Azul's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

Comme des Garçons 2 Man by Comme des Garçons

I often return to this one just to see how rough it is. Couldn't get more basic incense smell than this. Incense is often linked to religion. Incense in CdG 2 precedes any human use of incense. It's an exotic piece of resin from another planet, hardly evoking any kind of associations to other things human, rituals, spiritual practices. it's just there, raw and primordial, brown and smokey. Somehow reminds me of rocks and barks, autumnal shadowy landscape in a strange anomalous zone.

kitsch's avatar

Y by Yves Saint Laurent

Delicious, long-lasting on the skin under clothing. Utterly enchanting fragrance. 100% positive rating.

Nile_Etland's avatar

Incense Rosé by Tauer

The first thing that comes out from this is a big note of roses, but this is an incense, so (as you would expect) it's a rather stickier rose jam which then morphs to incense than the cool mossy effect that we get from other rose fragrances.

It is a well-crafted perfume, the quality (as one would expect ftom Tauer) is high, and the drydown is good, but I have to confess to not feeling completely comfortable with it.

When someone says that 'it doesn't agree with my skin' - as I sometimes do - I wonder if it's more a problem of perception, the way we smell things, than actual differences in chemistry, and that what we actually mean is that it's not a fragrance that we feel comfortable to live in.

I think I would like this on someone else, quite possibly to the point of thinking that I would like to smell like that, but if I did do so I suspect that I may regret my rash purchase. So 'modified rapture'; just don't make me wear it,

informer_at's avatar

Austria Austria

Carlo Corinto Rouge by Carlo Corinto

Way too arid and sharp. Unbalanced, doesn´t harmonize with the body, thumbs down.

Bois du Portugal by Creed

When im 45-50 years old and in the middle of my law career, this will be my scent. Right now, i can appreciate it and like the smell, but i would not wear it at the age I'm at now (18)

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

ive written other reviews, but those were when i just started my fragrance journey and knew absolutely nothing and had a very inexperienced nose. I have now had lots and lots of experience, as this hobby has become a huge part of my life, and when all my excitement over new things calms down and i rate everything on a fair scale, Jean Paul Gaultier's Le Male is, in my opinion, the greatest mens fragrance in the history of the industry.

First of all, the scent itself. From the amazind Mint and Lavender opening, to the absolutely hypnotizing Vanilla middle and drydown, this fragrance is absolute sex in a bottle, an absolute lady killer, and must be by far the most complimented fragrance of all time.

Secondly, many fragrances can smell good, but do they last? and can someone smell me from over there...With Le Male, there is never any worry about that. It projects like a beast and lasts long. That power, coupled with the hypnotizing scent, makes for an absolute gem.

Third. Yeah. Its popular. Its one of the best sellers in the history of the the industry and for damn good reason. Just because it sells alot doesnt mean it should be looked down on. If it wasnt so amazing, it wouldnt be so popular. Its as simple as that. Its overall financial success in the fragrance industry shouldnt be something that you fault this fragrance for, but something that should be recognized and rewarded.

Ive been very very very pleased with alot of fragrances, but there is no fragrance in this world that has left the impression that Le Male by Jean Paul Gaultier has left me. When i smelled it on a friend for the first time, i was absolutely shocked. SHOCKED.

This IS the greatest fragrance of all time, and it shouldnt be knocked because so many of tried copying it and it shouldnt be knocked because it doesnt smell funky or like a womens perfume.

Basketball has Michael Jordan. Mens fragrance has Jean Paul Gaultier's Le Male.

All hail, The Holy Grail.

Millésime Impérial by Creed

In my opinion one of, if not THE most overrated fragrances of all time. Nothing really special about it to me at all. Nothing attractive, nothing that jumps out at me. I dont understand how something like bleu de chanel gets hated on so much and something like Millesime Imperial gets so much love. Bleu gets criticized for being so boring, well are u keeping me? MI is much much more boring then Bleu de Chanel and Bleu de Chanel smells better by far. It also projects better and lasts longer.

For the amount of praise it receives, MI is the most overrated fragrance of all time.

Im tempted to give it a thumbs down because of the hype that it didnt live up to, but since it doesnt neccesarily smell BAD, it doesnt warrant a thumbs down.

LA DOLCE VITA's avatar

Argentina Argentina

Balenciaga pour Homme by Balenciaga

A masterpiece of the perfumery. BPH was the first scent that seduced me and one of the first I bought when I was 18. It wasn't a young juice but it was my first love. I miss you and when I go to my mother's house I smell an empty bottle that I conserve as a treasure. Come back, Balenciaga!

LA DOLCE VITA's avatar

Argentina Argentina

Dune pour Homme by Christian Dior

One of my favourite fragrances. Fresh, clean, happy, comfortable, elegant and not much massive!!!

Brut by Fabergé

I personally like the smell of brut...sometimes. It use to be a favorite of mine until I started using Stetson. But then when I tried this again I was not as happy with it. But what ever the case, I never liked how brut seemed to have such a small ability to last. Its scent simply went away after an hour or two on me. But that was the american version made by Idelle labs. I tried the french version made by Unilever, it was alright, but i got comments saying "it smells like a public bathroom" and it did kinda smell like pee. Maybe I got a bad bottle, idk. So what is my view point on brut? Well, its a hit or miss, you might get a great smelling but not so long lasting scent, or you might get urine. So I enjoy the scent of the american one a bit more. I do however love the brut deodorant products. They are almost flawless. With that said, I like the smell of brut...sometimes.

hancock's avatar

Versace Man by Versace

It is totally unique. Something I have never smelled before. Why would anyone call it feminine? It has a sweet, smoky drydown. Dreamer would be more feminine.
    Somebody wrote: love it or hate it. it is true...Can be overwhelming, but hey it is a damn good scent.

tkellyvols's avatar

Aventus by Creed

I've had over 500 fragrances in my life, and Aventus by Creed is the best Fragrance I've ever had thus far. I found out about it when I was at the Oregon vs. Tennessee football game and I walked by a gentlemen and made a U turn when he passed me. I asked the gentle like this. Hello Sir with no disrespect what is that fragrance you have on? He couldn't remember, so I asked him what did the bottle look like and he explained to me how the bottle looked (half clear and half black leather bottle with a black top) that still didn't help. I then asked him where he got it from and he said Neimans Marcus. He told me to hold on a minute, he was going to call the Creed representative on his cell phone. The Creed representative answered and he told me it was the New Creed "Aventus". I immediately got excited because I thought I had knew about all the latest Creeds. Later on that evening in the sky boxes still at the Tennessee football game, I walked by one of the sky boxes and the basenotes (Musk, Oak moss, Ambergris, Vanilla) of Aventus hit my nose again. I turned around and peak in the sky box and it was that same gentlemen again who told me what he was wearing. BTW, this is the way I've come across the best scents in the world (Creed's, Bond's, Guerlain's, O'boticario's, etc.), not being scared to ask people what they wearing. I immediately purchased Aventus when I got home from the football game. I've gotten more compliments with Aventus than any other fragrance I've worn. When I took my dress shirt to the cleaners the lady asked me what kind of cologne I had on. I had on none, it was my dress shirt that I wore 3 days ago with Aventus on it. This Eau De Parfum is the real deal! It stays on forever! Suggestion, as soon as you dry off getting out of the shower put 2 sprays on your neck and thats it, it will stay on all day. A must buy, eventhough it is expensive. You will get what you pay for it, a superior Creed fragrance! No fragrance line can touch Creed, they can only imitate Creed.

Grottola's avatar

Magnetism for Men by Escada

Grape/Cherry soda with a lot of amber/vanilla. Actually not as bad as it sounds - just don't over do it, the opening can smell a bit like permanent marker.

12 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 30th January, 2011)

Old Spice Pure Sport by Procter & Gamble

This scent is wonderful! They make it in the form of aftershave, deodorant, antiperspirant, body wash, and body spray. Each form seems to differ slightly in scent, but generally they smell sweet and have a bit of a spicy scent in there as well. The best way I can explain what this smells like is...think of a sweet musk mixed with old spice classic and a bit of Bvlgari Blu...kinda spicy but also really sweet. So you get sweet, spicy, powdery, and kind of an aquatic scent all blended together. Its AMAZING! I use the after shave almost on a daily basis and the body wash is one of my favorites. The deodorant is great as well. I didn't much like the body spray, as it only lasted about 20 minuets before the scent was gone. This is a good scent over all. It is simply one of my favorite Old Spice scents.

(Im on a horse...)

12 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 31st May, 2011)

Larimar's avatar

Austria Austria

Tabac Blond by Caron

Tabac Blond is a hell of a naughty and ‘mean’ fragrance. It is rather difficult to pull off 'with style' or better with 'the right attitude' and grasp it in its complexity. After all, it takes quite a woman to love this on herself as the usual female fragrances today smell so totally different in comparison. Part of Tabac Blond's thrill IMO is that it is sort of 'daring' for every wearer... it is not a perfect fit for women nor for men. It’s ambiguous or androgynous, its intentions are concealed and never clear. So, I think Roja Dove is very right in saying that Tabac Blond is a 'difficult' fragrance.

However, I had people literally walking around me in circles to finally stand behind me or following me on a train to sit exactly next to me or a woman at the gas station (how fitting with Tabac Blond’s gasoline and harsh smoky opening! ) commenting in total awe that she had never smelled such a perfume. Tabac Blond does this to the ones not in the know and often strikes them like lightening... its absolutely weird, harsh, butch but opulent opening with the delicious and slightly sweeter and softer heart/base gradually joining is a moment of perfect perfume bliss. Iris/orris is a big helper here to keep the picture blurred all through its progression. The overall mood of Tabac Blond is dark, very dark and seethingly sexual.

Tabac Blond is a glorious piece of perfume history… did Ernest Daltroff initially have men in mind to wear this? Was it meant to conceal the stains of smoking, which was still a rather scandalous pleasure for women in the 1920s? Flapper girls… and and… It is all part of the magic and allure of Tabac Blond today.

To my experience there is no 'reformulation'. Tabac Blond - like e.g. En Avion - was newly interpreted when Alès - with Richard Fraysse as nose - took over mid/end 1980s. All samples I got hold of from the period afterwards smell basically the same (including the so-called ‘vintage Tabac Blond’ from ThePerfumedCourt). The original Tabac Blond (and En Avion) was fundamentally chypré in character and as such ‘old-fashioned’ in the style of the 1920/30s. All these chypré classics of the time were redux in their heart and base, but lingered on for a long time. The idea of the time was refinement (Caron was and still is the pinnacle of luxury!). A comparison with the great Lanvin classics is inevitable. It is immediately clear when you put on some original Tabac Blond how rich of animalics it is. If you took Rumeur, Scandal and My Sin minus the sweetness from the florals (mostly jasmine) you would be indeed very close in feel to the original Tabac Blond as if they all together were variations on the same theme.

Some last words of advice: Do only buy from Caron directly and only go for the extrait! I think some reviewers here (mainly U.S.) got an EdP without knowing. This is really half the story, short-lived on skin and not special and rich in the way the extrait is. Bear in mind that Tabac Blond is not a big sillage fragrance (I apply more), smells fantastic if part of it gets on fabric, keep trying if you are 'confused' but intrigued (in case it does not instantly click with you - it took me quite some tries to get it). Vary spraying and dabbing to find your preferred method.

In the end, I think Richard Fraysse is doing an excellent job at Caron and his interpretation of Tabac Blond is outstanding. Caron is the ONLY house today to keep the grand French Haute Parfumerie style alive.

How I love thee, my Tabac Blond! *****

12 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 09 November, 2011)

Horizon by Guy Laroche

The Cologneist does a pretty good job of describing the upside to this one. I prefer it to Drakkar Noir, especially in DN's current version. Horizon reminds me of Lacoste Original and Captain Molyneux with their soapy and herbal astringency. I like all three, although Horizon adds a slightly smoky vibe (perhaps the black pepper) that I quite enjoy and might put it ahead of Captain.

It doesn't share the powerhouse character of it's older sibling Drakkar Noir - Horizon is almost a skin scent after about 6 hours. Bottles are available for a reasonable price.

12 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 03 April, 2013)

CoL's avatar

Art Collection #08 by Jacomo

SPIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICY!!! Starts off like mulled wine or similar to Guerlains Winter Delice. Thankfully (for my nose) the comparison does'nt last long and the spices fade into the back ground allowing the milky fruits, honey and amber to come through making this a beutiful autumn/winter fragrance.

I have to give Jacomo credit for trying something a little different and I would it works! You do really have to give a good skin test before you buy!

13 October, 2010