Fragrance Reviews from October 2010

harper's avatar

AnOther 13 by Le Labo

god, these notes are sad.

what has happened to perfumery?

who wants to even bother anymore?

Facets by Avon

How sad this is disontinued I liked it. I can't compare Facets with any other fragrance or find one that has any similarity. I almost certain that this used to have another name early on but I can't remember it now. The bottle used to be so pretty too, like a rare sapphire mounted on a beautiful gold setting. I don't really care normally for scents featuring myrrh or frankincense but this one used it nicely and lightly, this frag was never overwhelming even when applied with a heavy hand. Perfect for late fall or winter.

Perle Noire by Avon

Oh happy day I found a nearly empty sample vial of this way in back of old drawer I opened and was transported back to the wild dating scene at my first junior college...this must have been the 80s maybe early 90s. Nice rose-spice scent that lasts all day with a small amount. It smells a lot like Black Pearls but without the chemical note that I usually get from BP.

Brigitte by Tocca

I love all the scents in this brand (Guiletta is my personal favourite not mentioned here) but the major problem is that they barely last beyond 2-3 hours, and I use the perfume solid not the EDP. Brigitte is warm, fruity and spicy. I love the ginger opening and the smooth rose midnotes, finishing in a sexy ending with musk-wood-vanilla. Sampling Brigitte is for me the perfect excuse to go shopping at New London Pharmacy in my old neighborhood!

yrk's avatar

Poland Poland

212 Men Splash by Carolina Herrera

as for summer fragrance this is pretty potent 2-3 sprays and you are set, set to wait because its so overpowering that if you want be in closed place better wait, after hour or so best of this starts to show, i get it after 5 wearing 4-5h later i smell myself and thought THIS IS AMAZING!
    for the dry down thumbs up! i really enjoy it!

merw's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Belle de Nuit by Fragonard

My best friend gave me a bottle of Belle de Nuit as a present from Eze. At first smell, I thought "This is a scent I know but which..." then an hour later I got it: J'Adore. It smells a lot like J'Adore but I like Belle de Nuit better. In Fragonard's site, headline for this fragrance says :"Belle de Nuit is an original, deep rich harmony of flowers and fruit on a warm velvety bottom note of musk. A precious fragrance, as magical as an Arabian night!" Well, they got it right because Belle de Nuit is a strong floral musk which reminds you of that hot, sand-coloured and sun-washed places and the oriental air of their women. %76 volume edp is -of course- quite durable, it basically lives with you. It feels very feminine; it's not like overly trying to be sexy but knowing yourself and your charm and appreciating it. Confident, warm and rich. In short, beautiful :)

merw's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Womanity by Thierry Mugler

All I could feel was fig and fig wood. My grandma has fig trees in her garden, when I was a child I used to climb them up and pick figs. Womanity reminds me of those memories: my hands sticky (and itchy of course) with fig milk, leaves around me smelling like that milk and this fragrance smells just like that. I think there was some fruitiness as well but the woody fig smell weils it all. After all the hype and discussions and all that, Womanity is quite disappointing, I'm afraid.

vintage*red's avatar

Féminité du Bois by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I expected this fragrance to be an over the top, bowl me over, knock me down fragrance. Instead, what I found was a beautiful cedar gingerbread...a translucent oriental. My first reaction was camphor, a little startling but not unpleasant. Next came the cedarwood, which reminded me of the old, great department stores with the oak floors & mahogany display cases, all polished & brightly lit. Lastly was the gingerbread...not the cheap cookies from the grocery stores, but the homemade gingerbread men, spicy but not too sweet. A unique and lovely fragrance that does not last on me...I may need to revisit this in the summer.

vintage*red's avatar

Chypre Rouge by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This is the first Serge Lutens fragrance that I cannot appreciate and that I will NEVER wear. I get none of the notes listed. What I do smell is salty coriander, cumin & curry. Chili, anyone?

Madame du Barry's avatar

My Queen by Alexander McQueen

Someone told me that dead people smell like violets. This perfume smells like dead people. (No, I don't see dead people!)
    What's the point with this? I get violets, violets and violets.

DerekLorimer's avatar

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

Eternity for Men was launched in 1989. It is a great classic fragrance and lasts really well. Recommended for every day wear.

Fauve by Essentially Me

Gorgeous green mossy Fougere...

The beginning is strong waking you up right away; I can detect some geranium and lavender notes beautifully done... the heart notes come in after an hour or so and fill you up with clover and oakmoss notes that remind me of English fern by Penhaligons; I can also detect some leather and wood notes that dance with the oakmoss notes for ages...is there some vetiver notes as well? Possibly...

In summary, very green mossy and fresh scent made with top ingredients; definitely one scent for autumn/winter or when your mood demands some greenery in your life...with great longevity and sillagebig thumbs up...!!!

7 de Loewe by Loewe

Beautiful long lasting incense scent with great longevity; very masculine indeed and very Spanish too; perfect for the 30+ age group...if you want to grasp the mood of Easter in a catholic church when the vapours of incense fly around after the service...this is your scent...very nice and surprising coming out of a very jazzy blue aquatic looking bottle...shall be buying it sometime...big thumbs up !!!

The_Cologneist's avatar

Gucci by Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Although a boring fragrance, I love the smell of it. It smells like a very masculine laundry detergent. Mostly various woods, blended together smoothly which makes note detection difficult; I also get some pepper. For the price, and what you get, it's not so hot. I'd wear it if somebody gave it to me, but I doubt I'll be buying this.

MrTravisDiaz's avatar

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

It is very hard for me to pull of a real sweet fragrance where I live because if the heat. However this one really does the trick. I love this one from top to bottom. I do think this is my holy grail as of this moment. Just starting to cool off and this is it for me. The sweetness of the honey and hay sugar are blended so well with everything else I cant imagine life without this.

Safetyjon's avatar

Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

So much has already been said about Polo Black. It is not my favorite scent, but I don't understand all the negative comments. I certainly didn't have any type of negative reaction. I find the opening fresh, the middle green and enjoy the patchouli & woody (sometimes leathery) dry-down. Polo Black is not sweet, which is good because I dislike most sweet scents. Longevity is very good at +12 hours.

PB has a place in my rotation. I find it to be a very "professional" scent. The scent is not overbearing or loud. The sillage is not huge. It does not scream "cologne guy". The person wearing it can be taken seriously. I feel very comfortable wearing PB when meeting with senior leadership or high-level executives. I want to smell good, but I want to be sure to choose a "safe" fragrance that should not offend anyone. Overall a "Thumbs-up".

INVDRDIC's avatar

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

This is a good perfume to give to your wife. It even comes in a very feminine bottle. Smells like my wife's perfume. Lasts about two hours. Sweet.

calero's avatar

Bay Rum by Geo F Trumper

Geo F. Trumper's Bay Rum is a simple cologne that smells like rum and cloves and not much else. This IS one of those colognes that lasts for about a half hour and if you want to continue smelling good, you will have to re-apply it in large doses and apply it often. It smells good, but there are better offerings from Trumper that are more interesting and last a bit longer, i.e. Eucris.

PerfumeCollector's avatar

4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser by 4711

Actually not the original cologne water, the original cologne water is the one made by Farina Gegenüber (1714) almost 80 years before Muelhens. It is really a good cologne, specially considering how old this formula actually is. It is fresh and makes you feel really good, but unfortunately, only for a short period of time since its longevity is minimal, but it is so inexpensive that you can apply and re-apply all day long without sending you to the poorhouse. Between the original and 4711 it is hard to decide, they are similar, but by no means identical. The funny part is while lawyers from both companies fought a fierce legal battle for the rights of the trademark "Kölnisch Wasser" (and the market), the heirs (the Farinas and the Muelhens) were good friends and share same social circles.

6of1's avatar

Moustache by Rochas

Off-scenter has, more or less, nailed this one. It works on so many levels, but the main one is that I get to smell like 1949. Being that I was born in 1966, that is an amazing thing to me. So, this is really not so much of a great review as it is a bit a prose from a viewpoint of profound admiration. The citrus opening moves into the animalic heart and the rest is pointless to me. I love drydowns, but (for some reason) Moustache's drydown doesn't matter to me. The opening and the heart notes carry this one. Lovely stuff and highly recommended..

Na5u5's avatar

Bulgari Man by Bulgari

Got a sample of this a couple of days ago. I can't particularly notice the violet leaves but it's definitely a nice vetiver scent on my skin. Classic, green, everyday perfume. Nice longevity (more than 4 hours) but minimal sillage.

SmellMeister's avatar

Blenheim Bouquet by Penhaligon's

I first tried this at Blenheim Palace, the birthplace of Churchill, and was blown away by the bright lemon opening; truly the best citrus I’d ever encountered. I wasn’t as enamoured with the pine notes that soon mingled with it, but went on to buy a bottle nonetheless. Sadly my reservations about the latter notes proved to be well founded, as they became heavy, medicinal and rather oppressive; the polar opposite of the bright opening in fact. In hindsight, I think the medicinal feel may well come from the lavender in the formulation. Can’t quite bring myself to give it a thumbs down, but be sure to sample fully before you buy.

SmellMeister's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Tried this for the first time today and have to concur with many of the points made in previous reviews: green, polite, natural, with a lovely dry-down that had me liberally sniffing my forearm this morning (much to the understandable distaste of co-workers). Frankly, it's hard to dislike. I suppose it does have a passing resemblance to Cool Water, in the same way that a Ford Fiesta has a passing resemblance to an Aston Martin, but most would notice the difference I think. Cool Water has nasal-stripping, synthetic astringency, while Irish Tweed is much smoother and refined. Would I pay the mega bucks needed for a full bottle of Irish Tweed? Sadly, no. Very nice and all that, but not world changing (for me at least).

FYEO 007's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Jules by Christian Dior

I´ve just received my sample of Jules,mostly based on reviews here.As soon I smelled it,I knew it was a bad decision for me.Everybody who is reading this post must know that this is just and only mine opinion!It has nothing to do with others fantastic reviews of this fragrance.Yes,this could be a fantastic,classic fragrance,but not for my nose.The only reason is - soapy!I simply can not smell anything that has any soapyness.When I opened the bottle,immediate association was Acqua di Parma Colonia,which was also a big dissapointment.(I simply adore ADP INTENSA)The smell of Jules is smell of old gentleman,I mean really old,and I´m definitely way too young for that fragrance.The word for Jules is also decadency.So people,as you allready know,you can read any review,think what you want about it,and never,never buy anything based on what you´ve read here.Someone stated that Jules is related to Aramis Tuscany.(I hope not,I ordered tuscany also:-((.My fav fragrances : Joop!,Lapidus(1987.),Armani(1984.),ADP Intensa.I´m still searching for the fragrance of my life.These mentioned earlier are very close but I believe that there is something out there just for me,but have not found it yet.(Any suggestions are very welcome)Thanks for reading.

ncroft's avatar

Black Afgano by Nasomatto

Absolutely loved the scent! Its one of those scents you either love or hate. I was looking for a present and came across this fragrance but i did not dare to buy it because of the above mentioned quality.

I found the fragrance extremely seductive yet dark. Bold yet delicate. Its very earthy but at the same time has the divine aura. Plus BA has phenomenal longevity. The first thing which came to my ming after trying it on was the book "Das Parfum".

Cooper Square by Bond No. 9

I have finally tried Cooper Square...

The bottle is beautiful...silver and glass meet in the Bond no 9 signature star shaped bottle...

The juice is nice...it starts with some pretty juniper and lavender notes that take you quite quickly into some myhrr and possibly mint notes that settle down gently into a long lasting green accord of musk and vetiver...it does remind me of Boston Man by Puig as some of the notes are very similar ...

The ingredients are of top quality and incredibly long lasting...I now have the bottle...

Big Thumbs up !!!

13 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 15 January, 2011)

MJW77's avatar

Dior Homme Intense by Christian Dior

This is fantastic fragrance that has gone right to the top of my hierarchy! I enjoy the original Dior Homme but I like the Intense version more. It still has the cold almost plastic like iris note up top but this note doesn't linger as long and slips into the background letting the sweet, warm chocolatey vanilla come to the fore. Luca Turin in The Guide described it as 'delicious sweet baked apple' which is a fantastic decription of DHI. Awesome as an evening fragrance - really sexy, classy and sophisticated, but could also be worn on a crisp cool day simply because it smells so good. I highly recommend this. This is up there with L'Instant EDP as my favourite gourmand. If anyone is debating whether to get DHI or L'Instant EDP, just buy both.

Both thumbs up!

Having tried the 2011 reformulation I have to say I don't think it's too bad. In fact it is still a really good fragrance. I've done a side by side comparison and the latest version is very similar, although does have some different notes. You notice the difference more when smelling the original first and then the reformulation. The original seems to have more depth with the cocoa and the new version feels a little thinner, but smelling the new formula on it's own, you could easily think i was the same fragrance.

13 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 24 August, 2011)

Devin by Aramis

This is good...one of my favorites in the Gentleman's Collection, I think. I'm a sucker for green scents, and I like leathers, so this is a natural fit for me. Standard-issue citrus herbal topnotes give way to a bracing and dry green heart. The outdoorsy green notes of the heart become softer and gain a tiny bit of sweetness as the amber and musk notes start to show through a bit. But this phase, too, passes, and the scent adopts a more bitter, mossy green nature in the later base. Throughout, animal leather notes softly rumble in the background. I think the pyramid of this scents should really be divided into four parts, as the evolution of Devin is quite extreme.

I do find some major similarities with Yatagan: the animalism of the leather (toned down here), the outdoorsy greenery, and nice balance and evolution. Yet here, Yatagan's tone as been cleaned up. The top doesn't smell like a steak. Imagine Yatagan brought in from the wilderness and scrubbed up with the bracingly fougere-ish nature of Azzaro Pour Homme, and you might have something like Devin.

Un Jardin Après La Mousson by Hermès

Ok, no. I can't ignore the reality here and the reality is that this Jardin smells like cheap melon-scented soap. The opening is kind of nice and spicy, but in about 5 minutes, poof, melon soap. A blight on Ellena's record.

Aramis Cool Blend by Aramis

Indeed a very cooling opening. I could swear I get some brisk effervescent minty notes in the opening, but I could be imagining things. The warmer and smoother notes of cinnamon and sage in the middle are a pleasant surprise, and must be Cool Blend's tip of the hat the original Aramis. These do not weigh Cool Blend down at all, but rather just smooth it out and give a gentlemanly twist to the more common citrus and wood notes. This is not sharp at all, and I love the transition from coolness to glowing warm (but not heavy) notes.

The problem here is the longevity. It's very hard to detect after about two or three hours. Still, I'll give it a thumbs up for the smell, and because it would be great in the summer heat