Fragrance Reviews from October 2010

Marshmellow's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès

Along the river banks of the Nile, I smell Frankincense, Mango, Sycamore, Lotus. Jean-Claude Elena you are a genius.

Un Jardin, truly, where its name matches how the fragrance smells. Further more, I believe the place of inspiration serves to complete the picture for us.

The mango stays throughout. But its complemented by different ingredients along the way through its drydown.

At the start, I get a raw green, leafy impression. Although it stings my nose a little, the opening is quite sharp. Not entirely to my liking, you get a blast of acidity.

But I start to take a liking to it when it starts to settle on my skin.

I smell crushed raw mango skins and a darker grapefruit in which I believe balances the sharpness of the mango with the grapefruit. At the base, I finally get a warm and inviting woody note, very light, very pleasant. The Frankincense shines through at the base to give the fragrance its location-inspired quality, Frankincense is most commonly used in the middle east.

Fits the description well, I can imagine lying under a mango tree beside

Un Jardin sur le Nil "A garden on the Nile".

PerfumeCollector's avatar

One Man Show by Jacques Bogart

Are we talking about the same OMS? The one I have seems to have nothing to do with the reviews in here,
    First of all, it opens strongly as Basil. Synthetic????, not a chance, pure natural organic Basil. Have anybody here ever hold on his hands a pot of Basil and put it right under his nose? Has anybody here made Pesto from scratch? That is exactly what I get from the get go, Then slowly developing faint bergamot and rosewood notes too weak to really make a difference in my opinion. The floral stage also very weak and short lived, Then the incense comes, and it is glorious, with the nutmeg it makes a combination that is out of this world that lasts and last to finally slowly sucumb to one of the best woody drydown I have ever experienced. A masterpiece from beginning to end.

Accenti by Gucci

It's chic sexy and demands your attention
    the typical 90's glamor transitional era
    when Calvin Klein introduced us with the
    first unisex fragrance CK One and still
    we were going though wanning years of the
    big orientals of the 80's i.e like Obsession Poison
    Red Door & Giorgio of Beverly hills Red
    accenti reflects that swan song of the big florienals before the tread for lighter watery florals.

It opens with a sweet and a bit tart of
    raspberry in a few minutes dries to an note of tangerine and peach the drying down turns to a powdery vanilla with nuance of tonka bean and a big heap of Sandalwood. the florals like the Rose
    Jasmine and Lily of the Valley are very hard to detect sadly overshadowed from their louder siblings the sandalwood
    raspberry vanilla and peach;

It's intoxicating richness that is an
    jewel in perfumery that is sadly going to be missed.

Baie de Genièvre by Creed

This refreshing scent reminds me with acres and acres and acres of pine trees
    in the Bavarian Forest the Juniper berries transport to a vision of a medieval germanic knight like in those
    wagnarian dramas where he plege his love for the fair haired maiden he loves and he promised the'll will be together in union right after the crusade of 1189 in palestine. so he placed a weath of juniper on her long
    golden locks and with heavy hearts
    and tears he kisses his beloved on the cheek and rode off. so she slowly
    walked into a beautiful cathedral
    knealed in front of the blessed mother took off her juniper weath and prayed for his safe return.

or Karin from the VirginSpring before
    her innocence was lost.
    you'll find a sense of purity back to
    nature a cleasing of all the stresses in the moderen world in this scent.

De Marco by Oriflame

The Scent of burning of Citronella Candles and Lemongrass coil Incense burns in the midsummer night.
    i'm imagining.

Amethyst Fatale by Oriflame

This Frangrance owns up to it's name
    Amethyst Fatale. with lucious Plums &
    Vanilla. makes this perfume worth while. Purple satin sheets over the walls floors and a round bed Amethyst
    Crystals hanging around the room
    Purple Lights Shines allover. A Woman wearing a Crushed Plum Colored blackless shelf dress
    with pale skin long black hair dark mauve lips long Dark plum nails with grey eyes and a Darkly handsome man tall
    Slides his hand over her bare back and
    she tilts her head back in Exstacy
    and lie gentily on the bed.

The Ultimate Femme Fatale. Frangrance

Azzaro Couture by Azzaro

The opening is hard to describe it's
    fruity with metallic nuances. I'm not crazy
    about the bottle design it's homely in it's appearance i think what's making that
    metallic smell is probably the Amberette
    seedlings and the Mimosa notes is making it metallic those two just dominate the other notes you barely smell the rose
    and iris in it these are one of those
    perfumes that are hard the review.

k-picke's avatar

Zirh by Zirh

Great out of the shower smell, if your looking for something just to wear for casual use, around the house etc. Unfortunately too weak to ever be worn with a real purpose.

Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

Lemon, plain and simple. Take it or leave it. Bright, refreshing, then gone in minutes.

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

I tried this when it came as part of a CK sample set. Much to my astonishment the creators have somehow managed to capture the scent of a fusty old mad sitting in a sandalwood rocking-chair and sucking a clove drop, complete with skanky slippers and unwashed cardigan. Oh my, it’s unspeakably ghastly.

Versace Man Eau Fraîche by Versace

Disappointed with this one. Saw some great reviews and bought a small bottle blind, but all I got was weak, inoffensive citrus. Nothing to dislike about it - apart from its blandness - but there are 100s of others that do the same job without the designer name and price.

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

This is my signature scent at the moment and I love it. A refreshing citrus opening, drying down to a spicy blend of tonka, amber and white musk, with just a hint of vanilla and pink pepper. The original Allure is far too sweet and cloying for me, while the Sport version has a nice dry down but a distinctly synthetic opening. For me, Allure Blanche gets it just right…and it’s one of the few scents that I've had unsolicited compliments on.

FYEO 007's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Joop! Homme by Joop!

This is truly masterpiece,true legend.Very sweet,warm,and very,very loooonglasting...Can not say best of all times,but surely close....One of those fragrances that worked,and will work many years coming by...

bemebe's avatar

Flowerbomb by Viktor & Rolf

On first whiff, I too get a little girls sugar n spice and all things nice vibe.
    Interestingly this fragrance brings back memories of my first experiences with buying and trying fragrances for myself as a new teenager. Victor & Rolf's FB is the expensive version of a range of Impulse body sprays aimed at teenage girls. I would give anything to remember the exact name of the Impulse body spray. However, I wouldnt be surprised if the exact same one I remember from ten years ago has been repackaged as something else. Who knows, it could be FB aimed at those grown up teenagers who fell in love with the Unilever sugar water scent.

EDIT : I went back to the pink, fluffy, sugar water scent and I was converted. Its almost as though its catnip for tweens. This stuff has an oddly addictive snuggly side (a little bit like Lush's rockstar - which I was also initially sceptical of at first whiff). Pleasantly surprised or perhaps seduced by the addictive girly catnip fragrance.

14 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 03 February, 2011)

Primrose's avatar

1725 Casanova by Histoires de Parfums

When I sampled 1725 Casanova, I immediately thought this was the richer, more expensive version of Caron's Pour Un Homme. The vanilla and the lavender were very much in evidence. Is it an homage to the name of the fragrance: Casanova, the great seducer? This scent does not strike me as racy nor wildly seductive. It is subtle and refined. A true pleasure to wear with good sillage and longevity. As Casanova reputedly (reputedly, mind you) had affairs with women and a few men in the mix, 1725 is fragrance that both men and women can enjoy. No passionate love potion here, just a settled, enjoyable scent with elegance. We need to keep in mind that Casanova ended his days as a librarian. (Don't all die-hard rakes settle down in their older years?!)

14 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 12 February, 2011)

LiveJazz's avatar

JHL by Aramis

[See edit below - 6/11]

I'm not terribly impressed with it, to be completely honest. And no, I don't think it smells like an old lady. I'm not going to say it's not my style either: I like Hermes Equipage, which shares many traits: spice, carnation and other flowers, resinous wood notes, etc. I was prepared for the intense aldehydic floral/fruit opening, too. I fact, I kind of liked the opening and cinnamony early heart. No, the part that let me down is the part I expected to enjoy: the late heart and base.

I never expected to say this, but JHL feels a little empty, like something is missing. The spice feels rather sheer and soapy, the amber and woods that are supposed to bolster the spice and provide some body seem thin to me. The whole thing just seems shockingly transparent for this kind of scent...and this is not an accord that benefits from minimalism.

Judging my the other reviews - "rich!"..."luscious!"..."intoxicating!" - I think I'm probably in the minority. Opium Femme is much more satisfying in this category.

EDIT: I take it back, JHL! I've had the opportunity to wear this scent a few more times in the warmer weather, and I must say this stuff is really in its element when the body heats up. The same qualities I complained about a few months ago - the soapy lightfootedness of the spices - make JHL a perfect summer oriental. The heat brings some of the warmer, more substantial base materials out, and it moves away from smelling so much like a lightly spiced soap on me. An excellent choice for summer nights. I suspect it smells like this all year round for some people, but for me it seems to be a little thin in the winter - but this is my skin's fault, not JHL's.

14 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 13 June, 2011)

The_Cologneist's avatar

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

First and foremost, I absolutely despise ginger in fragrances.. it's never done right imo. That said, I absolutely LOVE the ginger in YSL l'Homme. It does an excellent job capturing a juicy citrusy ginger note. It pleases the nose, and is almost edible.

In the top, I get lots and lots of ginger, accompanied by a bitter citrus combo of orange and lemon. In the background, I can pick up on a watery violet note. There's also a heavy dose of white pepper, which starts off behind the ginger, but eventually overpowers it. About 3 hours later, vetiver, tonka, and some gentle woods blend together smoothly for the base, with the most emphasis on the tonka, as it is in La Nuit.

To some degree, this reminds me of Versace pH, only much much better. Longevity is about average, 6 hours or so. Projection is very good for the first 3 hours.

14 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 27 August, 2012)

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

Vétiver de Puig by Antonio Puig

Gorgeous long lasting vetiver scent from the Antonio Puig House in Barcelona, Spain.

Beautifully done in a masculine way; you can detect most notes if you pay attention carefully...

Ideal for any time of the day and an all year round scent...big thumbs up...!!!

14 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 15 September, 2014)

LiveJazz's avatar

Bang by Marc Jacobs

Great juice, here. Bang has been compared to Terre d'Hermes, Poivre Samarcande, and Gucci Pour Homme. These comparisons are all correct in part. Bang features Gucci's smooth wood notes, the glowing pepper of Poivre Samarcande, and the angular lines and versatility of Terre d'Hermes, minus the flinty notes.

That is some good company to be in, and Bang hits the sweet spot, surpassing these peers by taking advantage of the best qualities of each, and offering those qualities - and an overall feel of rounded, smooth, high quality tones - at a very good price. Sillage and lasting power are both about average on me. Does the strange marketing mesh with the scent? I don't care. The bottle is pretty nifty. I just know that this stuff is certainly in my future. Bravo to Bang!

15 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 20th October, 2010)

rickbr's avatar

Brazil Brazil

AnOther 13 by Le Labo

Have you ever wanted to feel the musky, woody, ambery base of several masculine fragrances, but in it`s most pure form? Well, if this is your wish, le labo granted it with this exclusive creation. What you smell is a aroma that seems like a stripped amber, with the animalic facets toned down and without the intense honey-propolis aroma that some ambers have. It`s a watery, but persistent amber facet, with a velvet, cashmere touch, some hints of cedar, some of sheer honey, and a creamy musk. The scent is quite linear, pleasant, but it seems like a base of a fragrance without any top or heart notes. It`s like they have composed a presentation material to show you all the facets that ambrox can have - and decided to sell this under a exclusive tag to the consumer.

Giorgio's avatar

Uruguay Uruguay

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

Super synthetic and cloying. The worst part of this is the good sillage and longevity. For me smells cheap and very synthetic.

Zagara by Santa Maria Novella

Nice orange blossom while it lasts, which is not long.

Van Cleef by Van Cleef & Arpels

Nice aldehyde floral (orange blossom, rose & jasmine) with just enough gallbanum and bergamot in the top notes and cedarwood in the bottom notes to keep it interesting. In a fit of nostalgia, I bought Tiffany on line, thinking that I was buying Van Cleef. Sorry..I get my jewelers confused :) Memorable, if not inspiring, and one of my favorite green florals.

Coromandel by Chanel

As soon as I received an email from Chanel stating that they were offering a few of their Exclusifs in 2.2 ou bottles, I ordered Coromandel. I don't own a patchouli fragrance and decided to try this one. After the first spray, I thought of Chanel No 5. That impression lasted only seconds. Next came a blast of strong, tart, spicey patchouli steeped in austere incense. Finally, the patchouli was joined by cocoa...not sweet chocolate, but rich cocoa beans. For me, this fragrance is all about sharp angles and not about soft curves. Unlike Coco, it has no heart. It wears like a masculine. Will I replace this bottle? No. Am I glad for the purchase? Yes.

Grottola's avatar

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

This would be better without the cucumber.

NebraskaLovesScent's avatar

Art Collection #08 by Jacomo

No. 8 turned out to be my favorite of the Art Collection series. It smells exactly like a spicy masala tea I drank in India (which is the drink we call "chai" in the U.S.)

I get none of the fruits or flowers. The tea, spices (ooh! lots of cardamom!) and plenty of milk and honey present an olfactory delight. I find some similarity between No. 8, L'Artisan's Tea for Two and Fendi Theorema. It is a gourmand, but not overpoweringly sweet. No. 8 gets a little more dry and woody as it goes, and lasts all day long. Nice one for the cooler weather.

NebraskaLovesScent's avatar

Art Collection #09 by Jacomo

I found No. 9 to be the most commercial and least interesting of the three Jacomo Art Collection scents, but it's still darn good.

Bright citrus and juicy mango are dominant upon first spritz, but don't be fooled into thinking this is just another fruity floral. It's really a lovely, spicy oriental that quickly becomes a more complex fragrance than the top notes would suggest. I get a brief phase where the praline is noticeable. After that, it behaves like a typical Jacomo scent, evolving to a gorgeous base that lingers for hours. The base notes on this one smell a lot like Bvlgari's Jasmin Noir, which is quite a contrast to the sunny fruits that opened thsi scent. Very nice fragrance overall and definitely unisex.

AnimaSola's avatar

Diesel Zero Plus by Diesel

This can smell like a tin of cinnamon, or a heavenly spice and flower melange. It all depends on the weather and how much you spritz on your body. It is soft and ingratiating in the dry down.

msleslie's avatar

Hindu Grass by Nasomatto

This smells like a Pier One import shop - patchouly, hemp, wall hangings, masks, rattan furniture, indian wood carvings, dust, the hay it was all shipped in, etc. These are not the usual elements I want to smell like - but I love this. It is earthy and exotic; I feel like I have just returned from a wonderful safari and am transported away from the humid Sydney fug.

Nile_Etland's avatar

Orange Blossom by Jo Malone

Many years ago on my way to school I used to walk past a garden with a huge Mock Orange (syringa) in the garden, when it was in bloom I loved it - so rich and sweet. Later (much later) I visited Morocco and was overwhelmed by the scent of orange blossom in the sunken gardens of the El Badi palace so I expected to love this.

Maybe I may prefer it as a scented candle - a fragrance that you can walk away from when it gets too much, but, having sprayed my wrist an hour ago with a sample that one of the generous girls at Jo Malone gave me I spent the first 30 minutes fighting the urge to run & scrub it off. It's fading a little now and is a bit easier to live with, but I don't think it will ever become an essential part of my wardrobe - I suppose I'm just not a Jo Malone person (although I love the occasional soak in a solution of Red Roses bath oil - the perfect end to a long muddy winter walk).

Actually I rather resent the suggestion that one needs to shell out for two or more of anybody's fragrances in order to smell good. Chanel, Guerlain and many other perfume companies, large and small, reckon that they can make you feel chic, sensuous, businesslike, glamorous (delete as appropriate) with just one bottle of their better juices, so why do JM expect gullible members of the public to buy 2 or more of their fragrances at £34 a pop when you can get 75ml of Mitsouko edp for less than £45? Sorry folks, but I think this represents a triumph of marketing over commonsense.