Fragrance Reviews from October 2010

Nile_Etland's avatar

Lavandula by Penhaligon's

I love the smell of lavender - in the garden I have loads of it growing & I often have lavender candles burning around the house, but as a personal fragrance lavender is the sort of thing I'll sometimes spritz myself with at bedtime but rarely want to use as a perfume during the day.

This lavender fragrance starts on me with a herby - almost basilic - air, unusual, but not unpleasant, however I have to be honest and say that I have been a fan of Caldey Island lavender for many years and I still believe that's the best you can get.

Buy Lavandula if you must, but once the green herby note has faded this remains a pretty average example of the genus and not to be compared with the Caldey Island version.

C Rose's avatar

Fire from Heaven by CB I Hate Perfume

I bought this when I visited their uber-hip store in uber-hip Williamsburg. I smelled too many of their scents, my nose got confused, and I ended up buying this. It's not bad: a subtle, sweet, strangely persistent, smoky scent on me. In the spirit of "love the one you're with" -- now that it's a member of my wardrobe -- I occasionally enjoy wearing this to the gym.

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

Mehh

I don't dislike this, but I cant say I go for this too often. Very strong peppermint note up top. Definitely a green fragrance. This would work better in the fall and winter. Probably downright nasty in the heat

On a gentleman aged 25+, this ones for you. I'm 21 and still find this to be a little too mature for me. Very masculine.

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

I absolutely love Armani Code. Code is my #2 fall and winter fragrance behind La Nuit. Up top I get a SLIGHTLY powdery and slightly citrusy vibe. Once this settles down it thickens up. Still slightly powdery in the dry down, somewhat creamy, masculine and a smokey/chocolately note

La Nuit de L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

This is by far one of, if not my favorite, fall/winter fragrance. Smells similar to the original l'homme but is definitely a little sweeter. I get a hint of chocolate in the dry down giving this frag an almost gourmandish vibe. La Nuit gives me about 2 hours more longevity than the original and slightly better projection. For me this is the scent I want to have on when i'm meeting new people (especially new females ;D) to give a good first impression

My ratings:

Scent - 9.5/10 Doesn't get much better than this stuff. It is on the sweeter side so if you dont like sweet frags, you might want to look elsewhere

Projection - 8.5/10 Slightly better than the original, but is still fairly close the skin after the first few hours. 3-4 sprays is usually how I apply this, 4 sprays maximum.

Longevity - 8/10 I get roughly 7 hours on this in the fall and about 5 in the winter

Purpose - 9/10 Judging by the name, this was made to wear on a night out or somewhere where you want to leave good impression and it definitely does that and does it well.

Overall I give this fragrance a 9/10. IMO this is better than the original and a must have for anyones collection

sierra 18's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

Racquets Formula by Penhaligon's

I have been using this one since the mid-90s, finding it at Bergdorf's in NYC. This cologne has a blend of vetiver and citrus, compounded with a powdery aspect infused with musk that I have never experienced before. It all combines to produce a men's fragrance that is light, yet which has the olfactory strength to stand up and project itself, without being overwhelming or--gasp--cloying.

I often reach for this one when I can't decide one way (light and citrusy) or the other (heavy, spicy, woody). This fits the bill nicely in between those worlds to produce a scent that turns heads and results in violent pulls back into the hug from appreciative women who have never experienced it before.

Best,

Chris

sierra 18's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

Black Pepper by Molton Brown

I agree with the descriptions on this cologne; warm and spicy, but I don't seem to notice the low silage reported here. For whatever reason, I have to be careful how much of this I use, since it can be strong up front, with decent longevity for me.

This fragrance is inoffensive and, to my neophyte nose, textured, warm and rich. One of the favorites in my stable. I will say, that the Molton Cassia Body Spray has very low longevity, but the Black Pepper seems to run for a number of hours on my skin.

remixx's avatar

A*Men Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler

I really dont like pure malt. I have 2 bottles of it and the only reason i keep them is because of its availability. Way too sweet, boozy and offensive. This is one of those love or hate fragrances that is iffy wearing b/c you will smell great to some people, and disgusting to others!

Geldachron's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I recently got the EDT version and I love it. From the spicy top-notes to the (in my opinion) fruity base-notes, it's perfect. It was on my wish-list for some time but somehow I never got around to it. In all honesty this is the best male fragrance I have ever smelled, though I wonder, how the EDP version is different from the EDT version? Since I might purchase it if it has any improvements on the EDT (I would not know how though!) could anyone tell me?

LA DOLCE VITA's avatar

Argentina Argentina

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

Eternal, classical great scent. I love it but I remember the first version I've tried in 90's as fresher and lighter. Other scents arrive and go but Azzaro is always in my toilette. Forever.

Giorgio's avatar

Uruguay Uruguay

Givenchy Play Intense by Givenchy

A nice and masculine oriental-gourmand scentl, never heavy, never cloying. Lucas Sieuzac and Emilie Cooperman did a good job here. Worth a try.

15 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 16 November, 2010)

karisuma's avatar

Lanvin L'Homme Sport by Lanvin

Classy scent in a cheap-looking bottle. Not at all sporty (which is a good thing; how many decent "sport" fragrances can you name?), and I agree with the similarity to Baldessarini. This is smooth and even a little creamy. A pleasant olfactory experience and currently one of my favorites.

15 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 16 November, 2011)

LA DOLCE VITA's avatar

Argentina Argentina

Sergio Tacchini by Sergio Tacchini

Great scent! I've tried it for first time in 1990 and it seemed very heavy. But in 1999 I've bought my first bottle and I discovered a clean, fresh, soapy and dry scent. It's atemporal and very pleasant in raining days. ST isn't very popular here in Argentina and this condition adds another advantage.
    I really don't know if it's still in production. Last year I went to Italy and it wasn't in shops, you can get it by internet sales.

In 2012 I've went to Italy again and I met this gem at great price in new bottle (simpler and cheaper)...but it's still a fantastic scent!

15 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 26 March, 2013)

Joe_Frances's avatar

Bell'Antonio by Hilde Soliani Profumi

A charming pipe tobacco and coffee fragrance this is not really for the ladies. It is Bell Antonio not Bella Antonia. A slightly strange but warm and charming fragrance of somewhat limited utility and oddball appeal. Nice fragrance but pricey, might work for a book signing or maybe a day at the museum.

LiveJazz's avatar

Aventus by Creed

This is good, as long as you don't approach Aventus expecting it to be a "fresh" Creed. Oh, I suppose it's fresh for about 20 minutes, as the opening pineapple and tartness burst forth, but Aventus rapidly matures and becomes more luxurious and classical.

After the opening fruits die down, we're left with some residual sweetness, helped along with a dash of patchouli, for about an hour as one of the more literal cyphre bases in a modern scent emerges. The base is surprisingly mossy...this is not where one would expect this fragrance to go, after having blindly smelled the juicy opening. I was expecting Aventus to bitter up a little, so I was impressed with the extreme evolution on display here, and the quality of the notes.

That said, I can't say I'm particularly attracted to scent Aventus evolves into. It becomes very stark, and is just a tad too bitter for me, though the entire construction is very tasteful, smooth and generally impressive. When testing, just make sure you're aware that this doesn't stay fresh for long.

If you know you like mossy, earthy cyphres, you will love this. If not, just be aware, and do not judge the scent harshly for not being something it's not meant to be. So, thumbs up. It may not be for me, but I admire it and will continue to test it.

Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse by Creed

ZMP is on of my favorite summer fragrances. I've tried it in the dead of (arid) winter and it appeared quite different. It seems to really shine in the humidity like another of my fave summer frags, L'Eau de L'Artisan (although nothing like it). It's very difficult to find quality, citrus/floral frags that aren't overtly feminine. This is one of the best. It is more basic than MI, GIT or Erolfa but not necessarily any less interesting in the long run. If you find Creed's signature ambergris basenote appealing then this is one worth sampling. Don't expect to be bowled over but consistently floating on a sunny, happy, natural citrus/floral/ambergris plane.

Eau d'Italie by Eau d'Italie

EdI is very unique. It's like a green-silver aura of earthy serenity with dancing, sunny yellow rays that follows you quietly and patiently all day. It needs humidity to blossom. Although the earthy middle notes may be similar to TdH there's no sign of that treasonous flint. While the sillage is not large, EdI remains tenacious and continually effusive. Moderno Italiano.

Aventus by Creed

I was mesmerized by the top notes, pleasantly surprised and transported by the mid notes, especially the birch but was completely underwhelmed by the base. The oakmoss, which is the predominant note is just OK and the vanilla completely wrecks whatever uniqueness it had initially. Another potentially great men's fragrance ruined by vanilla.

UDV for Men by Ulric de Varens

I really like this one. It is quintessential average modern European. Let me explain: most European men would impress with Le Male if they are young (20s), something you've never heard of if they are in there 30s and 40s, and several variations of 4711 if they in there 50s and up. But when they are not trying to impress, they smell pretty much just like this UDV.

I like it because it is a sweet fragrance that doesn't smell flowery. It is unabashedly male (musky) but clean enough to wear anytime. And considering the price, it's a bargain. Sillage is above average, longevity is well above average.

Féraud pour Homme by Louis Féraud

I really like this. It is the culmination of everything late 70s and 80s. Smells of the usual bergamot, spices (though subtle, they keep making thier presence known) and energy. A good change to wear even nowadays. It is still relevant today me thinks because it doesn't go overboard in any one direction.

Best of UDV by Ulric de Varens

It is hard to pin point this frag initially. Low sillage and longevity that is borderline non-existent. So I did what I do when I run into such a frag: I spray a small room with it and shut the door, then I come back several minutes later.

What I got: a weak Hugo Boss XY, with some di Gio and Diesel Fuel for Life hanging out in there. This would have faired better if it wasn't named 'Best Of', especially since this is NOT the best of UDV. Thumbs down, yes. but not a bad bathroom spray.
    16 October 2010

I have reconsidered and now give it a neutral. Not for hot weather use.

16 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 24 October, 2010)

fernwood's avatar

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

This is one of those scents that you think you got figured out right away but actually you need to pay a little more attention to get the full development. Three people put this together and I'm sure they didn't want it to look like a hodge podge of ideas. It is very smoothly done I think. I'm getting orange and ginger right off. A spicey sweetness that plays off each other well. There's a muskiness in the basil blossoms and violet leaves . Well done not to take away from the citrus and ginger but to anchor it . This gives it some dimension. The tonka bean finish pulls it all together. For me a well rounded modern scent from a great design house. Thumbs up!

Mikeyb50's avatar

The One Gentleman by Dolce & Gabbana

This fragrance is pleasant and inoffensive, it stays close to the skin and does not have much projection or sillage. Nothing exciting going on here i'm afraid. Glad I only bought a 50ml but it won't be replaced by me in the future. The original is a better fragrance in my opion

Tabac Blond by Caron

I have never smelled the old Tabac Blond. I can only imagine how wonderful it was. However, this review is for the new version. Tabac Blond starts out spicey vanilla tobacco with a touch of vetiver. I thought, "Wow! A refined Habanita with a beautiful brightness & clarity." Unfortunately, this impression lasted only for a few moments until the scent trailed off into an overly sweet, slightly floral memory. 5 stars for the first minute, 0 stars for the nothing that followed.

Rochas Femme (new) by Rochas

Femme starts out tart, acidic lemon. Next comes a nondescript floral scent followed by leather. I can see that this has suffered through the new regs. If not for Serge Lutens and the Chanel Exclusifs, I would fear that we will all smell like cheap lemon leather! My favorite leather remains Cuir de Lancome, a beauty that was never popular and probably is now out of production. Sad.

Sycomore (new) by Chanel

Sycomore's cypress/juniper/vetiver accord is the first thing that I notice. This is followed by white flowers (with a nod to iris) and incense. I can smell styrax. The styrax, along with the white flowers, provides a touch of sweetness. The fragrance has that Chanel clarity and austerity. In many ways, it reminds me of "Passage D"Enfer" by L'Artisan. However, on this particular "highway to hell", Sycomore takes a limosine. Classy, lovely, unisex and definately Chanel.

Beige by Chanel

To my nose, Beige is a sheer lily of the valley fragrance, even though this flower is not listed in the notes. Beige is the Chanel version of Diorissimo. Lovely, but not outstanding. Longevity is moderate.

Grottola's avatar

Cuba Blue by Cuba Paris

Yes, this is a fresh scent in the lieu of ck One by Calvin Klein and Chrome by Azzaro. However, after the rough initial blast, there's a bit more musk and moss (?) I can detect to this. Musk for sure; I thought I could detect some oakmoss. As foetidus said, vanilla sweetens this a bit, and as with all of these Cuba scents, there is a tobacco note in there somewhere - this time in the base, for me. This stuff actually stays fairly close to the skin for me, but the longevity is sub-par.

Thumbs up for being a bit different and smelling good, and being affordable.

fragranceluvr's avatar

Mandarina Duck Pure Black by Mandarina Duck

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS FRAGRANCE!!! It reminds me of a combination of Paco Rabanne 1 Million and Christian Lacroix Tumulte Pour Homme.

Mandarina Duck Pure Black is thick, resinous, woodsy, tobacco with a little floral-sweetness thrown in. It is a perfect fragrance for Autumn and Winter. Applied lightly and you can wear this into work. Pure Black is very nice for an evening out, going to clubs, a dinner date or even a black-tie affair.

This is a thick, heavy fragrance so if you are a reserved kinda guy, than look elsewhere. The sillage is moderate to noticeable and the longevity is better than average.

I really do love this fragrance and highly recommend it...a must buy!

WardrobeMistress's avatar

Rose by Czech & Speake

This isn't so much a rose as anticipation of a rose. To me it's like a tight pale pink rose bud that is just beginning to unfurl it's petals.

When I was small I used to try and pull apart the petals on these to get to that mysterious 'something' inside, of course I just destroyed the flower and never found it's heart. I killed the goose that layed the golden egg.

I'm waiting, waiting for that rose to open and the anticipation is killing me, but just as it begins to throw itself open it rains heavily, bruises, turns brown and begins to decay before it ever reached the height of its beauty.

It's a little green, a little sappy, a little sour and a little rotten, but by no means unpleasant. I do pick up a little carnation.

Lasting power is not great, I have compensated by over-spraying and believe me, it IS possible to overdo this. I get a very positive reaction from strangers, people start looking around for the source of the scent and when it's been located I get big beaming smiles !

Best applied little and often, it's very unfortunate that they only make this in whopping great bottles as a purse spray of this would be ideal for touch ups. Czech & Speake really are missing a trick with their insistence on magnum-size containers.

I like it, but there are other glorious rose fragrances around, and I'm not sure I can justify the expense that a bottle of that size demands.