Fragrance Reviews from October 2010

WardrobeMistress's avatar

A Scent by Issey Miyake Eau de parfum Florale by Issey Miyake

Hello paeony! Hello lilac! Lilacs? yes definately lilac despite it not being listed as a note. Lily of the valley? Hmmm maybe, I get that note from the sample card but not from my skin. The jasmine only comes in a little later for me. Rather fresh and spring-like. So far, so good, but so what...This improves immensely after twenty minutes or so so when I'm really getting the ylang-ylang which turns the sex-dial up a notch (at least for me)

It's rather nice, but I don't really need another rather-nice floral, I would rather just go buy another . It's
    a little like Chanel Allure eau de toilette, in fact it could be Allure's precocious younger cousin who constantly tries to copy everything Allure does but gets it ever so slightly wrong.

The drydown is unremarkably soft and powdery.

The more I think about this one, the more dissapointing I find it. I am an avid collector of Issey Miyake's clothing and only wish that a little more intellectual rigour had been applied to this fragrance. I would expect something more from one of the fashion worlds true innovators.

shamu1's avatar

Clubman by Pinaud

Whoa, this stuff is STRONG. Yes, it says "After Shave" on the bottle, but don't think you can anoint yourself with this stuff. It approaches powerhouse volume if overapplied, and you'll miss the whole point of Clubman if you do so. This is truly old-school stuff - a classic powdery barbershop fougere - and as such, it is supposed to leave a DISCREET smell, not a slamming assault on the sinuses. Slap a few drops on your neck after a shave and you'll have a nice warm, comforting and manly smell all day.

Overapply this, and you'll smell like an old nerd.

MY RATING: 7/10

Primrose's avatar

Parfum Sacré by Caron

Caron's Parfum Sacre is a very seductive scent. No insipid, girlish fruity aquatic is this one! This is refined and elegant--and sensual oriental fragrance.

I saw clove in the notes and was wary, as stong spices need special treatment to suit me. The clove is there but downplayed. Parfum Sacre is a complex scent, warm and rich, and mellows to a marvelous musk/vanilla/floral. Many of us get the incense note that was inspired by that which was burned in exotic, sacred temples.

Who was it that said Guerlain was for cocottes (kept women) and Caron was for aristocratic ladies? Well, this is one Caron with sex appeal and worthy of any 19th century cocotte worth her salt...or diamond necklace, as the case may be. (And some of the greatest cocottes of history were aristocratic women...they knew their seductive power and used it! Not kept women, but high-born women who chose their lovers as they saw fit.)

This can be classified as an evening scent, or even a day scent--if you are bold enough.

Chrome by Azzaro

This one is a love and hate for me. I used this back in my first year of college and actually went through a whole bottle. At the time I really enjoyed it, as I received many compliments from the ladies, but now when I smell it, there's something about it that turns me off. I really have to be in the mood to wear this one and its not often I do. When you first spray this, the top notes are very fresh, citrusy, and light with a hint of a metallic note and as it dries down, that metallic note becomes more prominant blended with light woody undertones. Projection is good for about 2-3 hours and then it really sticks to the skin for about another few hours. I get about 4-6 hours with this fragrance on a good day but longevity is a bit spotty. My manager at work wears this and he's probably in his late 30's early or 40's but I feel like going up to him and giving him something more mature and sophisticated, but then again he drives a Harley to work! Which brings me to my next point, any male 25+ need not wear this, it's too playful and immature of a scent so I recommend this to a younger crowd for sure. Anywho, "CHROME" is just what this fragrance resembles, at least with the prominant metallic note so the name says it all! My overall rating, C+

D&G Masculine by Dolce & Gabbana

I agree with all the reviews here, this smells almost identical to lemon pledge but it's not half bad! I'm very picky when it comes to lemon, it either has to be very natural smelling or blended with another note and this one mixed with light woods, tonka bean, musk, and vetiver make for a very masculine drydown. I enjoy it on my casual days and its great all year around with great sillage and decent longevity (4-6 hours). I read that this was released for a younger audience some years ago but I see this for anyone over 21+ since it is very masculine and smells more on the mature end of the fragrance spectrum. The best way to describe this scent is imagine D&G Pour Homme without the pepper blended with Obsession by Calvin Klein. Together, they'd create the fresh, woody, lemony, and masculine D&G Masculine! Haha, I guess thats what the name entails. My final rating: C+

Silver Bond / Andy Warhol Silver Factory by Bond No. 9

I don't understand what is so appealing about this scent. It's REPULSIVE, and I don't say that too often. It smells boozy and ridiculously metallic. It reminds me of silver cleaner mixed with whiskey or something along those line. Yuck!!! With a hefty price tag, I can't understand how anyone would drop so much money on something like this but then again it is pretty unique so I guess if that's what you're looking for, go ahead and make your wallet scream! My Final Rating: F

shoegal68's avatar

Red Door by Elizabeth Arden

Oh Lord what can I say except......eww, this is headache inducing and makes me feel like sticking my head out the window, it's waaay to strong, even a light spray is too strong and long lasting. To those that love it I'm sorry but PLEASE don't come near me.

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

Trade Wind by Essentially Me

Beautiful light but very long lasting woody scent.

I can detect some very animalic notes of vetiver, sandalwood, possibly galbanum; even castoreum...that lift you up to another leverl of peace almost like being in the middle of the sea with some greenery coming from an island somewhere...

The notes are beautifully blended together to produce a fresh and masculine scent...

Excellent longevity and sillage...big thumbs up...!!!

Ursula's avatar

Washington Square by Bond No. 9

I was sent an advance sample. It seems unisex to me. So, in keeping with the feeling of that neighborhood, I can imagine students wearing it to class ...

At first, it opens up with strong citrus notes like the finest shaving lotion/cologne. After a while, a faint rose begins to bloom. Golden honey, maybe ... It settles down nicely, the musk is not too strong.

I will wear it for daytime occasions - with a white shirt, perhaps. For the evenings out, it is not romantic enough.

Like most Bond No. 9 fragrances, it makes a statement and cannot be ignored.

Persolaise's avatar

Sartorial by Penhaligon's

It isn't surprising that a foray into one of the most traditional pillars of British masculinity - Savile Row - persuaded Duchaufour to turn to the most traditional genre of male perfumery - the fougère. The website of tailors Norton & Sons - from whom the perfumer drew inspiration - claims that they "favour a simple, classically cut garment, with a shaped waist and neat structured shoulder, free from unnecessary detail," and sure enough, this is a pretty accurate description of Sartorial. The heart of the fragrance is an elegant beeswax-laced lavender with an endearing chalky-aldehydic twist that creates a vivid image of freshly-steamed fabric; it successfully evokes all other fougères whilst simultaneously stamping Duchaufour's own signature on the form. In itself, this is a substantial achievement. However, an ill-judged marketing campaign suggests we're meant to accept the scent as something much more radical than it really is: I can't imagine Norton & Sons selling comedy moustache-shaped necklaces, brooches and cuff links with their suits, but that's precisely what Penhaligon's are peddling on their website.

Quirky publicity aside, this is still a fougère, and if, like me, you don't generally like fougères, you're probably not going to get excited about this one. It presents a staunchly conservative image of British maleness - a rather disappointing fact, given that one of this island's enduring trademarks is a love of sly eccentricity - and although it ticks all the right boxes and is most impressively put together, I can't help feeling it's something of a missed opportunity.

16th October, 2010 (Last Edited: 18th October, 2010)

obscura's avatar

Chypre by Essentially Me

There are certain expectations that come along with any perfume named Chypre, and Alec Lawless’s composition begins exactly as expected. It opens with a burst of fresh and slightly resinous bergamot coupled to a touch of dry spice in way that calls to mind the original Pour Monsieur by Chanel. But after about fifteen seconds, Chypre fakes right and spins left, transforming into something completely unexpected. Imagine the smell of your great aunt Lynn’s mohair cardigan that reeks of fifty years of stale cigarette smoke—and now invert that completely. Chypre becomes a deep tobacco scent that touches on all the positive aspects of tobacco, leaving any off-notes behind in your great aunt’s sweater. The fragrance is alternately leafy, floral, resinous, and spiced, all the while remaining rich and sweet without any hint of smoke. Although oakmoss is discernible in the base, the overall impression is somewhere between vintage humidor and freshly baked coffee cake.

shamama's avatar

Black Afgano by Nasomatto

Concentrated and almost viscose, this (st)inky-black extrait has a crazy-big sillage and wears on my skin for 8+ hours. A head-turner that elicits a "What is that smell?!" scent from strangers, that's almost always followed-up with "What's is called and where can I get some?"

Kalynne's avatar

Outrageous! by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I love Frederic Malle's concept of creating fragrances, but sadly, I really don't like this one. It starts citrusy and woody, more masculine than fem in my opinion. It's a punch of aldehyde. It's now 40 min and I have a headache. It's warmed on my skin...less citrus, but still masculine woody. It's ok, but not nearly as interesting as the other Malle's. If I walked past someone wearing this scent, especially a man, I would think they smelled nice. Possibly a chemistry thing.

hedonist222's avatar

Escentric 01 by Escentric Molecules

This instantly reminded me of Fahrenheit . Except fahrenieht has the additional leather note to it. A friend mentioned to me today while we were perfume shopping, hat it eas his favorite fragrance, i then quickly checked the net to find out it's notes and as i assumed, pretty similar to Fahrenheit. So I told him he would love Fahrenheit if he liked eccentric 01 to which he replied Fahrenheit used to be his exclusive and sole perfume before eccentric 01.
    It's nice but if you like a 2D if nit 1D ambience from our perfume.

Sandalwood by Crabtree & Evelyn

A very straightforward, linear sandalwood, this has a soapy, creamy quality to it that I find very attractive. To my nose, it doesn't change a great deal through its development, the base being perhaps a little more animalic than the top. That's no bad thing though - it's quite nice to come home smelling the same as you did after showering in the morning.

Sillage is decent, length moderate. A good every-day fragrance.

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Opens with a blast of greenery, including a subtle hint of cut grass that sets a nice summery scene for what is to follow.

Unfortunately, what is to follow is terrible. There's an awful lot of pine air freshener, that I can only assume has been sprayed around the place in a vain attempt to cover up a lingering whiff of vomit. From the slightly spicy notes - cumin for one - I suspect the culprit had just eaten a curry that disgareed with him/her.

Perhaps it's just my skin, but this is awful. Like a slightly better quality version of a Lynx deodorant.

Sienna by Crabtree & Evelyn

This is intially very nice, warm spice with a firm supporting structure of leather. Within about fifteen minutes, however, it starts to descend into a very animalic region. Another five, and I might as well have just rolled around in a stable yard. After a little more time it regains its balance, heading back to the intial combination of notes but with the positions reversed - now the leather is on top and the spice supporting.

I really enjoy the start and the end of this, but don't much appreciate the journey between.

Autograph Isis for Men by Marks and Spencer

This isn't quite unpalatable, but it's trying. On the attack it borders on pleasant. Refreshing, even. But then come the heart and base notes - a mess of sweet synthetic fruit and unfocussed, slightly green spice.

To its credit, it does last, and sillage is respectably moderate - enough to be noticeably but not overpowering.

West Indian Lime by Crabtree & Evelyn

Lime, lime, and more lime. But a very spicy, at times almost savoury, lime. This quickly settles into a pleasant dry-down, with a sober citrus feel and the odd hint of vetiver. Sometimes it strikes me as being quite synthetic, but it is really rather good all the same.

Decent length and sillage.

Guerlain Homme L'Eau by Guerlain

Not a word I'm particularly fond of, but 'zingy' seems to describe the opening of this one particularly aptly. The exquisitely arranged burst of citrus, greenery, and underlying hints of wood is wonderfully refreshing. What follows is comparatively restrained, with the citrus vibe continuing to fizz in the background nicely while the more woody notes come to the fore.

This has fairly good staying power, but seems to stay very close to the skin. An excellent summer fragrance, and the only aquatic I've tried with any merit to it.

strobbe's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Spigo by Odori

Very nice lavender with vanille, very comforting, I still keep sniffing my whrist.

16th October, 2010 (Last Edited: 19th February, 2012)

Sugandaraja's avatar

Memoir Woman by Amouage

Memoir Woman smells like several of the louder, cruder jasmines got together, smoked a lot of cigarettes, drank a lot of wine, and passed out on the bar-room floor. The top notes are a Glasgow kiss of the most grape-y jasmine possible with a neon-lit tuberose giving her added heft. If you imagine Dior's Poison and Serge Lutens' Cedre splashed on simultaneously you're half-way there, but soon enough a curious burnt tobacco smell comes along, not unlike the accord in ELDO's Jasmine Et Cigarette mixed with stewed fruit in the style of Bhiel's AL02 . As it dries down it becomes quite smoky, woody and resinous, but the florals persist to the last whiff.

I'm really not one to turn down a sledgehammer jasmine, but I feel Amouage can do better, and has done better in fragrances like Jubilation 25 and Ubar. It's really strange how a fragrance can use so many of my favorite notes and reference so many of my favorite fragrances, yet disappoint me, but Memoir Woman does. Perhaps it's because I'm too well aware of my other options in this genre.

Sunsetspawn's avatar

XS Extrême pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

The original smells good, and this does not. They cranked up the dry, green bitterness and I think it resembles Creed's Himalaya a bit more because of it. Of course I'm going on memory here so I could be mistaken. It doesn't matter though, because this isn't really something that I'd want to smell, nor would I want others smelling it on me.

Goldaline's avatar

Fleur de Figuier by Molinard

I happened upon this fragrance by chance last week when browsing through the English equivalent of a nickel and dime store. Being a lover of fig fragrances, I bought the only bottle in the shop. There was no tester but I took a chance because of the Molinard reputation for fine fragrances. I also took a chance because the bottle was ridiculously cheap at £7.99 for 100 mls.

Well, when I got home and tore off the security tag (which they'd left on by mistake) and the cellophane wrapper, and sprayed the jus on my wrist, I was transported to heaven. This is a divine fig fragrance. It's pure green fig, nothing more, nothing less. In my view, it even surpasses - just - the wonderful Dyptique Phylosikos and charming Jo Malone Fig & Cassis..

All you fig scent lovers out there - make this your holy grail - to find and try Molinard's Fleur de Figuier. It's a masterpiece.

Goldaline's avatar

Double Fraîcheur pour Lui by Molinard

I just bought a 100 ml bottle of this for £7.99. There was no tester so I bought it "unseen" as it were. I'm not sure if it's the man's version of Double Fraicheur or the women's.The one I bought is in a green box and bottle and it smells of citrus and mint, so based on Laurent's review, it's the man's. I had thought that the fragrance was unisex, but as Basenotes distinguishes between a man's and women's version I've probably purchased the man's version. No matter. I like it anyway. Now for my review:

The opening note is quite sharp and lemony, but then it very rapidly transforms into the smell of newly mown grass, and finally, it dries down to a subtle muted mint smell.

It's a pleasant, uplifting fragrance, but as Laurent points out, it's too short lived.I can imagine it being super to use on a hot and humid day (but we don't get too many of those in the North of England) and it could also be used as a base body fragrance (an all-over spritz) and layered under a sweeter concoction.

mysolegia's avatar

Portugal Portugal

Paloma Picasso / Mon Parfum by Paloma Picasso

Here in my just-across-the-border town (Seville is 1 hour away) there are 2 things you can count on seeing in every household: a shrine to Our Lady of (Victory, Fatima, Lourdes......whomever you choose) and a flacon of PP ontop of the toccador, if only as decoration if it's not actually used. I've been seeing it for a while at my cousin's home but never sampled it, then the other day I asked her if I could pull out some into my little steel vial that I carry with me (there's a story behind that and why I carry it on me.....some other time). PP is bright, sunny, dewy and fresh---just like an early Summer morning near the coast where I live. I love the creative use of patchouli and honey in this scent. I have heard people compare PP to Chanel 19. I can't see the comparison--PP is an orange and 19 is an apple---how to compare? I love both.

Grottola's avatar

Wild Country by Avon

I hate to be the first neutral for this all-positive Avon, but it has an overbearing baby wipe smell to me. Simply, a sweeter, more powdery Brut/Canoe. Does have a barbershop feel to it. However, on my skin, it goes nuts with baby powder and smells like baby wipes. It eventually dries down a bit, but ah.....what a shame. It's not TERRIBLE, but I guess I'll have to visit this when I'm a bit older.....

JonB's avatar

No. 88 by Czech & Speake

I smell geranium (much more than rose), Oud, Sandalwood. Is there anything else in 88? It doesn't matter much because this comes across as quite nice. Thumbs up, but it won't be liked by everyone because of the Oud (or oud-like) note.

msleslie's avatar

Note Vanille by Martine Micallef

This is very rich, complex and wonderful. It is not a girlish, innocent, cotton candy vanilla, but a deeply sensual, elegant, inviting one.

bookwyrmsmith's avatar

Bang by Marc Jacobs

From the notes listed I get PEPPER ,PEPPER,
    PEPPER/benzoin /Cedar with maybe a touch of tobacco?Hmmm...Whatever ! ILove Bang!(and I am a girl)
    To me all the notes work just fine as a unisex fragrance.I like Pleasures by Estee Lauder and Green Tea Extreme by E.Arden and Manifesto by I. Rosselini which also have cedar and or pepper in them and are worn as unisex by many here .
    I definitely love that fresh peppermill scent Bang has.Full bottle worthy IMO.