Fragrance Reviews from October 2010

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

West Side by Bond No. 9

Rose` wine and italian vanilla ice cream in a sweet french gelaterie watching the world go by...that is my description of West Side by Bond no 9.

It lasts forever and keeps you wrapped up in a jolly dream for a very long while...wonderful stuff; great for evening wear and totally unisex...big thumbs up !!!

BayKAT's avatar

Balle de Match / L'Eau De Sport by Nicolaï

I know this is a man's fragrance but I like this house and wanted to try it.

BdM smells 'pale yellow'. I usually get images with scents, and the one that sprung to mind with this one was a middled aged blond haired man (in his 50s) wearing a pale yellow sweater at a baseball game; eating a twinkie and drinking an Indian pale ale. Yellow.

it's interesting, this isn't a bad scent at all, it's quite nice actually. But when I think of my SO wearing it I feel agitated. Balle de Match does not sing 'I'm too sexy' in any note. So, while my nose thinks 'this is OK', my emotions think 'certainly not.'

Such is the fun of perfumery.

BayKAT's avatar

Coeur de Vétiver Sacré by L'Artisan Parfumeur

One thing I like just as much as perfumery is an authentic tea shop. Tea shops where everything is sold loose leaf, and you have a hundred canisters to chose from. Black teas are my favorite to smell (although I can only drink green or herbal)

The reason I'm liking this scent so well is because it reminds me of fresh, black tea with fruit accents (dates, mostly). Oh yum!!! Straight up fruit can get too cloying, but with black tea as an anchor this turns into pure decadence.

So, the opening gets a thumbs up from me. The drydown is OK, but there is something discordant here. As the black tea fades away I"m getting something 'clangy' and irritating, as if I pulled my nose from the tea bag and took a whiff of the backroom where everything lay scattered about and thrown together.

If I could get the opening throughout this would be a perfect scent.

Miss Denise's avatar

Chypre de Coty by Coty

Original Coty Chypre opens with a blast of citrusy civet, dirty and surprisingly animalic. This is rich potent stuff. I smell oakmoss from the get-go, but Chypre mellows as it develops and draws closer to the skin.

Since it's the ur-chypre, the very foundation of an entire fragrance family, I can only compare it to later fragrances that used it as a touchstone: vintage Cabochard, vintage Lubin Nuit de Longchamp, vintage Mitsouko of course, (especially if one believes the Francois Coty-sold-the-recipe-to-Guerlain, who-added-a-peach-note story.) There are echos of Coty Chypre in vintage Aramis, vintage Bandit, original Raphael Replique, vintage Azuree, Guerlain's (sadly discontinued) Parure. I don't get the bitter green or fruit or or floral that other reviewers have mentioned, (though there must be some jasmine) but rather a rich, mellow smooth heady fragrance.

I also don't agree with whoever said (can't remember where I read this) that Guerlain's addition of a peach note was an improvement on Coty's original chypre. This stands on its own, proudly. It's a take-no-prisoners, say it loud, I'm THE CHYPRE and I'm proud perfume.

Vintage bottles of the same scent can vary tremendously, depending on how they've been stored, variability from batch to batch etc, and Chypre from later vintage 40s/50s? probably smell somewhat different than those bottled in 1917. Perhaps this accounts for the different impressions recorded here by reviewers. The chypre I sampled from dates from the 1920s/30s, based on the glass bottle design & frosted glass stopper and the raised gold bas-relief lettering on the label.

pistachio's avatar

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Okay, this is a strange one. First, the beginning is bitter and cool, like an ashtray in an air conditioned car. Why L'Artisan made this "smoke tea" note so strong, I don't know. Maybe to make it last longer when the other notes emerge? Who knows.

I do know I love the scent that emerges and takes the edge off the smoke. It's warm and sweet. People say they smell honey and milk, but unless the heating's on very high, I don't get it. What I do get most of the time without stretching my nose or imagination too far, is warm, sweet incense. The incense part is supple, not thick church stuff. What I love about the warmth, sweetness, and supple smoke is that they float up at different times, something I've never experienced smelling a perfume. And when the scent fades, it tends to smell...like cream powder...almost marshmallow-y. It's absolutely delicious.

Altogether, this scent is cuddly and delicate, with a bit of mysterious smoke for sophistication. Unique and great for fall but only the indoors in winter, because it goes flat in cold air.

Thrilla's avatar

Blu Mediterraneo Bergamotto di Calabria by Acqua di Parma

Pretty much linear throughout the whole lifetime of the fragrance. Smells nice, but I would agree that it can become boring quickly. A great summer fragrance, and a good fragrance for teens and college kids.

GekiGAngerII's avatar

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

Longevity is great. When I walked out the door I could smell an aura of it around me, with only 3 sprays. This was my first time as my skin is dry and doesn't project well. Must have.

BetsyMeszaros's avatar

Laura Ashley No. 1 (original) by Laura Ashley

I love this. My husband isn't crazy about this so I don't wear it when I'm going out with him. Truthfully I have some of the body cream and I like that better then the perfume. It just reminds me of a young English girl on a spring day. It makes me feel happy.

What's with these base notes? I don't get any of that except a little musk.

Kalynne's avatar

Vanille Tonka by Nicolaï

This scent was given to me by the lovely, Rotto. I really like this scent. It's great if you understand the ingredients and enjoy thinking of yourself as the Queen of Sheba. Cosidered to be for women, I think it could work for men as well due to the frankincense. The frankincense has been tempered with ingredients, I think citrus, that link the spice to the sweetness of the vanilla. This vanilla has sweetness, but a resiny quality so it's a bit more buttery. On my skin, citrus gives fragrances depth, without staying directly citrusy. I think the cool weather today was also good for the experience. My sister who only wears sweet florals, actually told me I smelled nice and agreed, men should try this as well.

scottb's avatar

Sandalwood by Pacifica

There are so many things to love about this company--affordability, the quality of their products, and providing one of the best amber scents around. Unfortunately they, like many others these days, are addicted to fruit notes and use them liberally enough to conjure images of a 13-yr-old's bubble gum. Also, their naming can be very misleading. Just as "Avalon Juniper" is not a woody fragrance, here the sandalwood is steeped in tangerine, so much so the citrus seems to be the star. I acknowledge that this may be more a case of high expectations than a poor fragrance, but with a note like sandalwood the breakfast juice tsunami is hard to look past.

Mr_B's avatar

No. 88 by Czech & Speake

I had to laugh when I read lunoar's review. After having tried this my comment to the sales staff was "this smells like a church". To me it has a very distinct, old, wood-like scent. It's certainly different but not my cup of tea.

Mr_B's avatar

Original Vetiver by Creed

Soap. Soap. Soap. This, for me, is the most disappointing Creed fragrance.

Trillz's avatar

Joop! Homme by Joop!

Not the best, as it can definitely be overpowering. Never found much use for it until one day I was staying home for the evening and did one spray of this on the chest. Perfect! Gave me the quintessential "clean" feel. For that, it serves its purpose.

Trillz's avatar

Aqua pour Homme Marine by Bulgari

I really don't get people who trash this scent like it's a disgrace to fragrance. Aqva is nice, but a little deep for a common person to appreciate. If you want smell alluring and fresh, go with Aqva Marine! Melon on top, spicy, aquatic dry down. A personal favorite!

JaimeB's avatar

Eau des Merveilles by Hermès

This is the one that's supposed to have an "inverted pyramid"; i. e., the top notes are in the base, the base notes are in the top, and the middle notes are... well, still in the middle. The EdT smells to me remarkably similar to the later Terre d'Hermès of Ellena, but it is missing that "silex" note that's said to remind one of the smell of sun-warmed stones. On the whole this is rather unisex to me, though it's labeled as being for women. The progression of this from layer to layer is rather hard to detect for me. It seems almost as if all the levels are present from beginning to end, making it a bit more linear than most Hermès scents. Still, it's something of a tour de force, and deserves some credit for that.

02 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 11th February, 2014)

leelar's avatar

Eau de Hongrie by Fragonard

One of my top 10. This comes across fresh and soft, yet masculine. Lasts all day.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Essenza Del Tempo by Trussardi

There is a lot to love about this fragrance, but it takes time to appreciate. The overall feel is spiced leather, though there is no leather in the ingredients. If you have sampled Kenzo Pour Homme Eau Indigo, this is a lighter version of that also well executed scent. I wore this all summer long and could not get enough of it. If you have actually visited Italy, the country side like Umbria and Toscana, you will totally 'get' this fragrance. Think effortless warmth and naturality. Wearing linen through the fields. Warm breezy afternoon. Its everything a lazy summer frag should be. Highly Recommended.

Sugandaraja's avatar

No. 18 by Chanel

Somehow I was expecting... more, a lot more, from a Chanel Exclusif. I mostly smell an aldehydic, tart, and daintily sweet rose note that's almost uncannily like Gres Cabaret stripped down and brushed lightly with ambrette.

If you love it, go for it, but you could do yourself a favor by sampling the aforementioned Gres fragrance first.

dimplesg's avatar

Ange ou Démon by Givenchy

When this first came out I didn't like it but now I love it to bits. I've just bought it today & I think this may be one of my all time favourites now. This perfume spells class; very classy, not overpowering just classy. You would expect to smell this on a woman who has very crisp classy clothes - probably 30's - 40's. Definitely not for the likes of those who wear the sweet girly perfumes. It has a hint of sweetness but then again it doesn't. It is complex in a good way. Class in a bottle!

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Lady Million by Paco Rabanne

What can I say - sweet and full of fruity loops. I find nothing interesting about this - it's somewhat a crowd pleaser . Generic - manages to smell like nearly all the fruity floral sweet fragrances out in Sephora right now.

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Memoir Woman by Amouage

Memoir Woman is a dark and rich chypre that is soft but tenacious in style. Begins with clovey peppery spice and moves on to twisted ,dark though 'white' florals and a mossy ,damp earthy gorgeous dry down . Truly unisex- this is easily worn by a man too. Animalic- a little... leather- alittle.......chypre- very much so . Memoir may well become a classic Amouage scent in the future. Very good .

perfume fiend's avatar

Allure Homme by Chanel

I would say I've received the most complements from strangers while wearing Allure Homme. Of course, with the mix of "Eh..." reviews, I would say the obvious answer is that it won't work on everyone's skin. I agree, though, that Edition Blanche has a bit more of a bite to it that more people like.

perfume fiend's avatar

Versace Man Eau Fraîche by Versace

I just bought this a few weeks ago. It reminds me a lot of the women's version of Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue, but not as flowery. It smells a bit "young", but it's still pretty good.

Tabu by Dana

Ha, Ha... Well, I guess this is where I won't stay 'hooked on the classics'. I've tried and tried, but I just can't abide Tabu.

Yes, there is something like 'root beer' in Tabu. But the vibe I really get, and the thing that actually makes me feel a little queasy sometimes., is the similarity to the way a vat of beer smells when the barley is being boiled (long before the yeast goes in and fermentation starts). It's compelling, but not beautiful. And it's strong and penetrating, but not pleasant, even in very low doses.

I have the creepy feeling that Tabu is what evil smells like in eveningwear. To me, there's nothing else quite like it. I guess the world only needs one.

Arpège by Lanvin

I've picked up many different vintages and concentrations of Arpege. Of course, they vary, but which differences are due to reformulation or age is difficult to say.

Is Arpege 'old fashioned'? I really don't think so. Clearly, it's not one of the pop-tart florals of recent years, but it is NOT outdated. Arpege is like a tribal carpet, a solid mahogany table, or a well-tailored wool suit. These things may not match the style of everyone... but none have ever been completely out of style, either. Like Arpege, these classics will always be in demand by those who understand them.

For the most part, other reviewers have captured the essence of Arpege. It's bright, subtly woody, and neither overtly floral or notably animalic, Arpege really is one for the ages... right up there with No. 5 and a few others.

I think the secret of using Arpege to it's best advantage is to use just a little. A small dab on the wrist, and then enjoy the evolution and the beauty of this fragrance while it gently radiates. Often it seems, there are more compliments when the volume is set to 'low'. Classics don't shout.

Zazou by Douglas Hopkins

A pleasant fruity thing. It makes me think of pomegranate juice, for some reason. Kind of tasty. I like it.

tott's avatar

Sweden Sweden

L'Instant Magic by Guerlain

l'Instant Magic has a pleasant and somewhat generic cosmetic smell. It doesn't really smell like a perfume, but like a luxurious body cream. This makes it intimate and suggestive of bare skin and sensual beauty habits.

I have trouble deciding between a neutral or thumbs up, but I will go for thumbs up since it's not bad at all and it can be pretty sexy.

Sarahjane's avatar

Broadway Nite by Bond No. 9

My experience with this perfume is definitely positive. I had Chinatown before this and I'm the typical person who gets tired of a perfume after 4-5 months (I've given many away to friends and relatives). But this one, no, it is only mine. It is a very personal perfume, to me like a mixture between Bulgari classic and Tresor. I never get tired of it, most of all, I can't live without it! It is sweet and sexy, it has the background smell of the violet leafs (not too predominant for my skin). It is an excellent combination of smells, none of them is really predominant.

Nile_Etland's avatar

Rive Gauche by Yves Saint Laurent

Whenever I'm shopping I try to make time to try out at least one fragrance that LT & TS recommended, so last time it was the turn of Rive Gauche. I had had a friend many years ago who was a real RG addict, I quite liked it on her but never enough to abandon my long-term relationship with Coco, however now I realise that it's actually a bit silly to turn one's back on any perfume just because you've been conned into believing the fallacy that every woman should have a 'signature fragrance' I have become more polygamous (fragrance-wise at least) and life has become much more interesting.

End of sermon & back to Rive Gauche...

This was given 5* by The Guide... 'reference rose' they said...I love rose fragrances, or at least some of them (see what I said about Nahema) but I should have read the next bit more carefully because it then describes it as one of the best floral aldehydes of all time. I have a problem with aldehydes and think I must be hyperosmic to at least one of them as aldehydic fragrances have the same sort of effect upon me as chewing an ice-cube on a hot day; they give me an instant headache. Because of that it's probably not fair for me to do anything other than give it a neutral review, the metal atomizer is a brilliant idea and should be copied by more fragrance houses - just don't expect me to wear Rive Gauche itself.

mumsy's avatar

Orla Kiely by Orla Kiely

Downright wierd at first. Like a fragrant sheep. I didn't get on with this at the start. It wasn't exactly horrible, just really, really odd. It starts a bit like Elizabeth Arden Green tea, then it's as if you were wearing a wet jumper with the conditioner left on it, eating strawberries and cream, whilst sat on a damp haybale watching sheep trails. It then trails off into something completely different, rather nice and comfy, as if you've gone indoors to the nice warm farmhouse where some spicy vanilla cakes are being made, and made yourself a cup of ovaltine whilst snuggling into an old, and nice musty sofa.
    Not unpleasant, just very strange. It's like a perfume with two stories inside.