Fragrance Reviews from October 2010

Geldachron's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

I was verry suprised to find that I liked it! This was becouse on the top-notes this was'nt anything special at all. More like a cheap aquatic. But pretty soon (after 5 minutes!) it totaly turns around into a mature scent. With the flowers and wood still a verry light scent that I could pretty much wear anywere. Im still in doubt if I should buy this but I think Ill surrender to it in the end......

Kaufmann's avatar

Joop! Homme by Joop!

Got this as gift.

Smells sweet and nice.
    But to sweety for me.
    The longetivity and silliage is good

Kaufmann's avatar

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

Purchase this as blind buy.

The smell is nice strong citrus, very unique
    Make me feel fresh, good to be used on summer
    Good siliage too,
    but bad longetivity on my skin

hollycat's avatar

Burberry for Women by Burberry

Burberry Women is a clean, yet warm, musky fragrance that is subtle as an everyday perfume. BW is the girl next door, she was taught to be polite and sophisticated, yet down to earth and always approachable. I love that this perfume is not a floral, yet so feminine. It has an ambery, woodsy, vanillic base, with a hint of spice. Its sweet, but not too sweet. I love the musk and apple notes I smell in this. The apple makes this scent a real snuggler. It brings to mind moods of staying in, with a loved one, watching a movie, fire place roaring, and red wine on hand. This is a perfume that may always be in my wardrobe because its such a no brainer scent. Its one of my go to perfumes for good reason. Its last forever on me and lies close to my skin. Those who are lucky enough to get close enough to catch a whiff, will no doubt be charmed. This fragrance is the ultimate Burberry. The best of all the others.

hollycat's avatar

Pure DKNY by Donna Karan

This smells like a variation or some lighter version of Mugler's Alien. You got the vanilla, jasmine, and wood mix. Aside from that, this perfume is a bore. Its generic and uninspired and smells like all the other newbie perfumes on the market. Its like someone ran out of ideas and just smelled some popular fragrances and made a variation of it. Nothing original. Its not bad, its just not that good.

thatsmr2usir's avatar

Poison by Christian Dior

Update! 11/30: I recently shared my thoughts on this fragrance & while I must admit I had no plans on purchasing this frag again, I was thinking what fragrance can I buy to wear to the dance clubs that will kill off all the A Men, Le Male, 1 Million scents that clutter the club scene?. Well thats when I thought about Poison! This loud, obnoxious beauty will surely dominate all the other scents that may try to take over the establishment. Poison will serve a purpose in my wardrobe after all as it will be my club/bar fragrance for the fall/winter! :)

O Poison... How does 1 adore thee? Well You are of a older woman who is strict, stern, & seductive! You also are beautiful & is full of class! You tumbled mountains when you first appeared on the scene in 1985. Nothing could withstand your loud & obnoxious trail that you leave for days. ( LITOREALLY ) You may be the mother or yet shall I say GRAND MOTHER of all the Poisons, & I do like you, your not as good IMO as your siblings. & I dont think your bottle worthy compared to Hypnotic, Midnight & Pure Elixir! Your still a legend!

17th October, 2010 (Last Edited: 01st December, 2010)

BetsyMeszaros's avatar

Bulgari pour Femme by Bulgari

Finally purchased this and really like it. It is so soft, subtle and wonderful. It's a floral but not an overwhelming scent as some floral scents can be. My only complaint is it doesn't seem to last too long on me.

17th October, 2010 (Last Edited: 27th September, 2011)

paolo74's avatar

Mistero di Roma Uomo by Laura Biagiotti

The blue version of Roma Uomo. It's more aromatic and less gourmand then Roma Uomo, I think it's perfect for summer and daywear.

lespritz's avatar

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

I smell something vanilla-ish in it for some reason. Best longevity in cologne in a long time. This could be a shared, or even a woman's fragrance. The first one I've ever liked from Paco Rabanne. Cool looking bottle too.

rickbr's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Un Bois de Sépia by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Un Bois Sepia is one of the Lutens that have a non Lutens aura. While most of Lutens fragrances seems to be based on satured wears of specific notes that he likes, like dried fruits, narcotic flowers, leather, un bois sepia is just like an harmony of woods and leafs, that has a autumn aura to me. I haven`t saw the connection with Feminite du Bois until I read JaimeB excellent review, and he`s absolutely right. While Feminite du Bois is a winter saturation of sweet woods, ripped plums, cinnamon, Un Bois Sepia seems like a still life picture of vetiver leafs, sandalwood, cypress and opoponax. There`s a pinch of fruits here too, like part of the aroma of the fruits remained in this dry, leafy composition. Beautiful in an austere way, one of my favorite lutens from the entire line.

Sunsetspawn's avatar

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

So this is what Biggie was talking about. I can dig it. PE is an aromatic fougère of the Cool Water, Eternity, XS, GIT variety, which has been mentioned. Personally, I feel that it beats them all soundly and I may have to seek out a bottle. It stays pretty dry and green, with some woody goodness and a hint of lavender sweetness while being fruit-free.
    I can't believe that I've never been exposed to this. The natural beauty of the smell is striking and it instantly announces itself as a modern classic. If you like fresh, and you still haven't tried this, you really don't know what you're missing.

hester's avatar

South Africa South Africa

Calvin Klein Beauty by Calvin Klein

They should have called it Banality.
    No really folks. Wow. You couldn't possibly make a scent with less character and/or originality. It's floral, and it's sweet. I can't figure out how to say anything more specific about it, except that it's banal and has middle-management written all over it.

Grottola's avatar

Musk for Men by Coty

Okay.....this smells like Wild Country/Brut/Canoe, however the "baby wipe" note that turned me off for Wild Country is less prominent here. Still there, but less prominent. More musk and moss, especially in the drydown.

Longevity is a bit lacking on me, but this is tied with Brut for my favorite out of the whole Canoe clone/cheap barbershop fougere criteria.

karisuma's avatar

Antonio by Antonio Banderas

Very interesting fragrance as evidenced by the other reviews. Longevity seems excellent. Unfortunately it smell too much like scented soap to me.

Cheeva's avatar

Millésime Impérial by Creed

I was given a sample of this stuff, and WOW! blew my mind, just incredible, incredible,and, one more time, INCREDIBLE! Ill spare you the note line up, this fragrance is very image invoking, kinda smells like citrus and flowers wafting in an air of sea salt. simply amazing ,imo. this is the best fragrance creed has ever offered in my humble opinion, However I have not sample creeds Windsor, which is rumored to also be exceptional. silage on me was not great about 2 hours max, although I was outdoors. I agree with qwerty73 , about spraying on clothes to maximize projection also, spray close to the skin, about 2 or 3 inches again, to maximize projection. Is it worth the Money?, I believe so and will be purchasing very soon!

Cheeva's avatar

Pasha Fraîcheur Menthe by Cartier

Purchased this one in the fragrance district of Laredo tx. a few years back, very minty and fresh , recommend that you spray close to the skin with this fragrance for maximum silage.

Bazowzer's avatar

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

Bleu is modern, subtle and elegant. It is not especially unique, but it is, to my nose, extremely pleasant; moreover, it attracts a very impressive number of compliments. The longevity and projection from Bleu are also excellent. I agree with those who have suggested that it is a great scent for those who only want one fragrance, because it is not easy to imagine a season or occasion for which Bleu would not be appropriate.

18th October, 2010 (Last Edited: 01st November, 2010)

trace1221's avatar

Cinnabar by Estée Lauder

I recently had a bottle of this given to me, a friend bought it and hated it. I used to wear it as an evening perfume back in the eighties, it brought back some fun times when i was first dating my husband. I don't think i'd wear it again now as it seems so heavy, I'll keep it and just smell once in a while.

pawful's avatar

He Wood by Dsquared2

It's pleasant. Not particularly 'woody' to my nose but I suppose wood could be interpreted different ways. It's light and unnoffensive. Not too much to say about it really. I'd wear it if I got given it. Good one to buy for guys who don't have any definite tastes.

Geldachron's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Contradiction for Men by Calvin Klein

I have used this for a while. Did'nt think much of it when I got it but later on I really fell in love. I've heard some people complain about longevity but I never had a problem with it (I got around 8 hours out of it and that is pretty much is the minimum I expect from a fragrance). It had been a few years since I had it though. I'm looking for something new to wear to work and this might be the one for me so I might have a smell this week if I can find it in a store near me.

ARAMIS's avatar

Fahrenheit Absolute by Christian Dior

Fahrenheit Absolute is a master of its class IMO, the oud-incense ratio is perfect.

I detect some resemblance with a A*MEN, like a diluted version of the later, at dry down! The alike spicy chocolaty nuances.

Dark, mysterious and elegant design, and most importantly it is strictly masculine, i.e. no way to be a unisex fragrance!

It is a classy one, deserving to be in my wardrobe, together with Dior intense, Versace L'homme, original Fahrenheit, and CK Eternity.

Nevertheless, you should try before buy, it's not a blind-buy frag. anyway.

All in all it deserves thumb up & 8/10 rate.

fugazi's avatar

Spice and Wood by Creed

After application, there is an immediate blast of pepper and sense of “dryness”. This dryness is certainly the wood, but it’s not “pencil-shavings” wood nor is it too much of a petroleum wood oil. This mixes with the lemons and reminds me slightly of Bois de Cedrat at the start. I get maybe 10% bergamot. The apple note continues to play a game of hide and seek throughout the life of the fragrance. But it's so well blended that i can't decide if it's a dominant theme or just a minor player. This speaks to the sophistication of the construction of this fragrance.

It settles down after a somewhat chaotic opening into an absolute wonderland of spice. Make no mistake, spice is the big man on campus here, not wood. The clove oil and angelic root play off each other to form a composition that is extremely unique and successful. The pepper settles down, as does the wood. The wood seems to form a canvas on which the spice displays its art. Don’t be afraid of clove here. It’s not Bois de Portugal, which is a huge overbearing wet clove. This is a light, airy, cold and dry clove… whose sweetness is kept in line by the angelic root. The lack of cheap sweetness thrills is laudable here. There is an eversoslight annis seed and cinnamon accords. But don’t worry, I hate licorice… this isn’t like that.

After an hour or two, the base starts to shine through. Here are the similarities to Aventus, due to the oakmoss and birch. Some liken it to “burnt rubber”. I liken it to “smells good”. Not as sweet as the Aventus base... the iris keeps this classy and buttoned up.

All in all, this is a masterpiece of a fragrance. There is a unisex nature here, it is clean enough and unassuming that I can see a woman pulling this off. I must say, reviewing this fragrance is difficult, because it is very enigmatic and very unique. I haven't smelled anything like it before. Much like Sublime Vanille, these Royal Exclusive scents are made with an attention to craftsmanship and detail that is clearly above the rest of the Creed line (with the exception of Windsor). There is a delicacy in these two frags that is quite extraordinary. The two are very different though. Sublime Vanille is a strict and unwavering dedication to the scent of vanilla, and pulls it off on a level that makes it a benchmark to which all other vanilla fragrances are measured.

Spice and Wood, however, is a symphony of many different accords, all of the highest quality, all playing together wonderfully to give the wearer a wonderful ride... a dreamy experience reminiscent of the best aspect of Love in Black. It is NOT (as has been mentioned before) anything like Original Santal. I have OS, and enjoy it. This ain’t it. It can though fill the role of a “young man’s Bois de Portugal”. However, like Aventus, it's a very progressive and modern fragrance. This doesn't harken back to anything old-school. It has about the same projection, sillage, and longevity as Windsor. This fragrance is pretty well gone after two hours. If that bothers you, go get Burberry London. This here is a different ballgame. This exudes class and smells expensive (as well it should!).

Basically, if the terms SPICE and WOOD appeal to you, you will adore this... much like if VANILLA appeals to you, you will be crazy about Sublime Vanille.

some might be disappointed by the "transparency" of this fragrance. However, I find it to be more ethereal, as it transitions from note to note rapidly... hence the "dreamlike" quality. If you are looking for some Tobacco Vanille thing where you spray it on and it just sits there and blares at 145 decibles for 12 hours until you are utterly sick of it, then this isn't for you. CREED has stated that the Royal Exclusive scents will be "sheer" in nature, with an emphasis on delicacy, quality, balance, and identity. mission accomplished here.

CoL's avatar

Loud for Him by Tommy Hilfiger

Loud? LOUD?! Is TH trying to be ironic? This is one of the quietest fragrances I have ever tried! Very nicely done mind you, a little different from the norm. VERY mild patchouli and rose. Nice stuff but quiet!

Imagine a much quieter, more subtle Voleur De Roses. The rose is the most prominent note tamed by mild tobacco and patchouli. It's a grower!

18th October, 2010 (Last Edited: 02nd December, 2010)

Grottola's avatar

Antaeus by Chanel

Okay, I think it's about time I tackled one of the most talked-about reformulations on Basenotes: the vintage and new Antaeus.

Now, granted, I will say that the reformulation of Antaeus has been fairly kind. Jacques Polge didn't f*ck anything up really, and Antaeus still smells like..... well, himself. What I do notice, however, are the following:

- Current version has a lot less castoreum
    - Current version has virtually no aldehydes
    - Current version has more vetiver and patchouli
    - Vintage version was a lot "thicker", and heavier with more labdanum and beeswax
    - Vintage version is stronger and lasts a bit longer

Both versions are great fragrances equally in their own right, but something lately has been drawing me to the current version - that something being that it smells remarkably like the long-gone Kouros Fraîcheur by Yves Saint Laurent.

Really, try the two side-by-side! Granted, Kouros Fraîcheur is a bit fresher with noticeable pineapple and civet notes, but once the opening blast of KF dries down, it treads an almost identical path with the current formulation of Antaeus.

Regardless of what has happened to Antaeus or what it smells like, it has been and always will be one of my favorite fragrances. I've loved it ever since I was a boy, and for good reasons: it's unabashedly masculine, timeless and by no means dated, projects well, lasts all day, and above all else..... smells good!

18th October, 2010 (Last Edited: 07th April, 2011)

pearlfingering's avatar

Chloé (original) by Chloé

When I open the tiny bottle of Chloe on my dresser, a little genie comes out, but she is like Titania in A Midsummer Night's Dream. This perfume has real power from its nude, exuberant honeyed sweet entrance to its romantic and spicy heart to the drydown with its never-ending tuberose. This is carnal, but I get a soapiness from the carnation and a good romp in the forest from the oakmoss. The original Chloe is a favorite floriental that anticipated the 80s by a few years. The drydown is powdery and baby shampoo smelling.

18th October, 2010 (Last Edited: 21st April, 2011)

shamu1's avatar

Jade East by Regency

If you hate old-school colognes like Brut or Canoe, don't even bother unscrewing the cap on this. Go back to your unisex niche fragrances. Jade East is not for you.

This balls-to-the-wall fougere is so crude and loud it makes Brut smell discreet and refined by comparison. Just be patient and try to make it past the synthetic lavender blast when you first put it on. It's worth it, because the drydown really is superb. There are no heart notes in Jade East. The drydown smells sweet, warm, very musky and green. Granted, Jade East can smell pretty rude at first, but the drydown comes quickly, and it's what drives me to wear this dinosaur.

Jade East is a product of its time, and many people will find it outdated. But it was fragrances like Jade East that set the stage for the big powerhouse fragrances in the 70's and 80's. I wouldn't call Jade East a masterpiece or even a classic, but I really love it.

MY RATING: 8/10

18th October, 2010 (Last Edited: 14th June, 2011)

vadim's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

Hampstead Water by Washington Tremlett

Er -- nice, but this is mostly lavender. Done in the grand old British tradition but hardly adding much, if anything, to what we already have in the lavender department.

rickbr's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Dior Homme Sport (original) by Christian Dior

It'd have been ok with any other name or flacon, but not borrowing the name and flacon of Dior Homme. You would expect that they would produce something linked with the gourmand, leathery aroma of the great dior homme where the grey, powdery iris takes a big role at the opening, that would transform the composition in something fresh, light. But instead of that, it seems that LVMH reused everything in this sporty cliche composition. The aroma is like a formula of a cheap soap made it expensive by adding complexity and a woodier base. But at the end, something cheap is still cheap in a expensive composition if you don't change what made it cheap. And in this case, we get the wrong citrus, which is smell suitable for a house cleaner product, with a gross ginger typical of ginger cheap soaps.The only interesting thing here is a woody, slightly aromatic, base, but it takes too long to get there and the path of soapiness, cheap citrus and something quite sweet and nasty is not worth the ticket.

cheryl's avatar

Magie Noire by Lancôme

I am doubting my sample now after reading all the notes others describe. I smell myrrh myrrh myrrh. Stretching my imagination a bit..I can go as far as incense and narcissus. This smells of a candle that was in our family home in the late 70's (hippie household!). It's strong and has a clear and focused identity. I wouldn't call it an oriental.

Sunsetspawn's avatar

Helmut Lang Eau de Cologne by Helmut Lang

When I say barber, you say shop!

Barber!

Allrighty, I have samples of both this and Cuiron, and I know that Cuiron is fantastic just from smelling the vial, but Helmut Lang needed a full days wearing. Boy, was I treated to a wonderful surprise. This here fits in with all of the Gendarmes, Mugler Cologne, Original Vetiver, and cK be. Am I forgetting any? And although it fits in, it is unmistakeably unique. There is a solid, potent, soapy, musky barbicide base with citrus, mint, vanilla, and tonka swimming around in it. I'm kind of surprised at how both complex and simple this is; somehow it manages to be mature and distinct while being fresh and clean.