Fragrance Reviews from October 2010

thatsmr2usir's avatar

Pure Poison by Christian Dior

This for me was rather boring. Its fresh no doubt, but compared to the Elixir this is no contest! The Elixir takes this to more levels & adds a gourmand touch to it! Pure Poison is simply bland. Not bad but not bottle worthy! My least favorite of the Poisons!

thatsmr2usir's avatar

Pure Poison Elixir by Christian Dior

I am so in love with this one! This is so much better than Pure Poison. First it is flowers no doubt, nice Jasmine which I am finding myself starting to like more & more. Maybe it is because of this frag? At any rate , Its fresh & with the added cocoa & vanilla makes it more so gourmand! A wonderful edition to the Elixr line up! This would still be catergorized as more fem than masculine in alot of mens eyes, but I say if it works for you, wear it! This has great longevity & silage! What more can you ask for? It is not for everyone, ( THANK GOODNESS ) So try before you buy! Either way the outcome should leave you intrigued. I have gotten some rather nice comments on this by both men & women who have noticed it. Beautiful bottle that I think I will keep. I normally throw them out when I am done with the frag. So Dior gets another + for this creation!

orrisboy's avatar

Sartorial by Penhaligon's

I was lucky enough to sample Sartorial at the early stages of development and now it has arrived, like Hermes leather, Catherine Deneuve and friendship; it has evolved beautifully into something almost perfect, as if it has always been there. It is autumn here in Edinburgh, the air is chilling, and the streets darkening, shadows guttering as I walk home. The city always feels more haunted at this time of the year than at any other, the beautiful Georgian architecture flickering with memories of past betrayals, proud love and bitter desire. It can be a brutal raw elemental city, but its heart is soft and warm, with a steady beat, liquid and emotive. Each night I walk home through the shifting streets, I think how appropriate this scent is for right now......waxy with honeyed tones and gentle velvet warmth, for nights when events seem large and insurmountable, but then you realise the scale of things and your priorities. Simple things will warm you; simple things will make you smile. The sudden familiarity of scent on a scarf, the fall of a strap from a shoulder, the unbuttoning of a shirt, an eye catching an eye as you cross the street. And your heated smile as you head home.....

Bertrand Duchaufour has honed and smoothed Sartorial beautifully with olfactory dexterity and alchemical sleight of hand. It is an extraordinary experience, the scented re-creation of a Savile Row cutting room. The ozonics fizzing away as the scent opens are not aquatics but steam notes to represent traditional cloth being pressed. There are chalk and dust notes bedded through the lavender and oakmoss. 'Old wood' effects for old tobacco-stained cabinetry, machine oil and metallic scissor effects with tints of old paper patterns captured in the weird vanillic drydown. The most beautiful note is the beeswax running through it, sweet, animalic and moreish. They use blocks of wax in traditional cutting rooms to coat the threads before stitching. This melts so well into the violet, geranium and classic fougère notes. I found it thrillingly melancholy, muted and hauntingly grey, full of autumnal power, like wearing a bespoke suit home in the damp air of a dark city night, one's mind bubbling with worries and the prospect perhaps of love and light at home.

miner's avatar

France France

Artisan by John Varvatos

Beautiful bottle as all Varvatos scents. The juice however is a bad joke, this is the most simple citrus fragrance you can possibly think of. It does not develop at all, lacks any depth and does not even last long. If you are familiar with european drugstore brands like Mexx or S.Oliver you get a good idea what this smells like (at about 10 times the price however)

Stargazer's avatar

Wales Wales

Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

Gorgeous! Straight to the top of my 'Favourite Scents' list. There's fresh, bright citrus perfectly balanced with spicy woods. Beguiling and elegant.

JessicaGrace's avatar

Eau de Gucci by Gucci

Do not like! An opening of well-blended but very insistent flowers -- no discernible notes, just a floral melange and a little lemon. Quickly gives way to honey scent with a distinctly urinous edge. This is the part where I start to feel guilty for inflicting this scent on people around me. A few hours later, starts to smell strongly like maple syrup, the cheaper kind, then joined by an ugly musk.

I dislike this so much, and yet it smells so familiar, I almost suspect I have previous unpleasant associations with it. It came out when I was a baby. Perhaps it was a favorite of someone I didn't like very much. Anyway, I'll be swapping my mini away as fast as possible!

Primrose's avatar

My Queen by Alexander McQueen

The design house of the late Alexander McQueen (not unlike Vivienne Westwood) was very interested in the use of images of European aristocrats and royalty. For much of history of the Western world, fashion and taste was dictated by aristocrats and also by popular stage performers, both male and female. Today, fashion is dictated by the aristocracy of the media: the celebrities.

Nevertheless, I sampled My Queen by Alexander McQueen and was struck by it's genderless qualities. In fact, this might even qualify as a "masculine," the purple-girly bottle and the name aside. I am one of the first to say, "Wear what you like regardless of the bottle or the label," but these are my observations.

My Queen was released in 2005 after the controversial Kingdom. It is, in fact, a toned-down version of Kingdom. It's my understanding that it goes beyond the three-tier pyramid to four levels of notes:

(From Marina Geigert's blog, "Perfume Smellin' Things): Marvelous (Parma violet and sweet almond), Dazzling (orange blossom absolute, white musk and heliotrope), Mysterious (patchouli, cedar and vetiver) and Intoxicating (Florentine iris and vanilla).

The drydown is surely unisex, with the patchouli, cedar and vetiver. As for another "queen," ELdO's Delicious Closet Queen attempts to start with a masculine exterior with feminine underneath, My Queen attempts to start with a floral set of feminine notes with a masculine set of base notes.

This does have a floral opening, but ends with a predominantly patchouli base note. Good staying power and sillage.

arthuryoung's avatar

Farnesiana by Caron

Have to agree with Mimi Gardenia (and Taliaseki) that the first connection this scent creates is to the paraffin note in l'Heure Blue. It's a warm, enveloping note, and here it mingles with the equally present florals to become something sweet and powdery (with just the slightest suggestion of salty play-doh and almonds.) This is definitely one that keeps my wrist pressed to my nose. It's incredibly comforting in cool weather, almost more maternal than gourmand.

The only reason it loses a star is the risk of smelling like a freshly diapered baby. While there are no cheap notes here, a light application seems to elicit "baby powder?" more often than compliments from unsophisticated coworkers.

arthuryoung's avatar

Amour de Cacao by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Used to own, but this sort of became one I wore for other people instead of myself. It's too linear and sweet, draws lots of compliments but nobody ever mentions chocolate. To my mind it's cocoa puffs, powder, and a hint of violets. There's just nothing exciting about it, no contrast, no mystery, no art. You could spend a little more and get something exciting, or spend a little less and get something equally inoffensive at Bath and Body Works.

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

Saks New Orleans by Bond No. 9

Beautifully blended composition from Bond no 9.

On initial application, I can detect very subtle violet, cassis and vanilla; then very light bergamot and lily of the valley make an appearance which is very light and refined... after an hour or so the base notes of cinnamon, patchouli, amber and sandalwood take over for ages...more of a feminine scent but very unisex if you like sweet vanilla and ambery scents...

Big thumbs up...!!!

migi's avatar

Serbia Serbia

Aramis 900 by Aramis

Aramis 900 is for me a masterpiece in the world of perfume. My signature scent. This is pure elegance in the bottle. Very dark chypre, for me the most dominant moss, patchouli and vetiver, like the smell of forest with little flowers (roses) and spices (coriander). Number one for me.

's avatar

Lalique pour Homme by Lalique

It has very good sillage and lasting. Topnote is Woody/Citrus with lavander, and strongest, darkest part of this fragrance. And drying down is woody/floral and a bit citrus. It's classy, smooth velvet woody fragrance.

The_Cologneist's avatar

Swiss Army by Swiss Army

I get like a minty/eucalyptus/green/herbal opening that's rather unique. Along with it, comes some sort of slightly unpleasant yet very intriguing accord.. plastic.. maybe some sort of burning toxic material. After the chemical odor dies down. The green notes and herbs come out, the mint doesn't disappear but it hides behind everything. I also get a grape note taking over the top. Before ya know it, the scent is completely gone. I don't pick up on many of the notes in this.

To my nose, Swiss Army is one fragrance house combined into this fragrance. That house is Ralph Lauren. With Swiss Army I get some Polo Sport, Purple Label, and Safari. A rather unique composition, but nothing to write home about.

philmcphe's avatar

Serge Noire by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Absolutely, incredibly and horribly foul. One of the most disgusting things I have ever smelled in my life.

obscura's avatar

Kuan Yin by Essentially Me

Alec Lawless must have been a baker in another life, and Kuan Yin proves it. Kuan Yin smells distinctly and unmistakably of a bran muffin. Not just any bran muffin, mind you, but a light, fluffy, almost heavenly bran muffin baked with dried apricots and lemon zest. The fragrance opens with bright citrus and floral sweetness, soon giving way to a thicker lemon scent (litsea?) that enhances the apricot aroma of osmanthus. Underneath the scent of lemon and apricot, various herbs, spices, and woods combine to create a high-fiber muffin in the sky, nearly fit to be one of Plato’s forms. Clearly, the question arises: do you want to smell like an ideal bran muffin? The answer: not always, perhaps—but sometimes, definitely yes.

Weimar27's avatar

Tracy by Ellen Tracy

A luminous demure aura extreamly feminine
    scent nothing sharp harsh or edgy just
    a soft non obtrusive with a girlish innocence kind of a scent that is safe and
    ideal for young girls for their first perfume collection.
    It opens with a scent of sweet and airy
    peonies delicate sweetness of each pink
    petal dries fresh with a green note of
    cassia adds to the freshness then in a
    minute or so turns fruity with the succulent note of plum blossom and i also can detect juicy ripe peach mingling with the deeper and more juicer
    plum dries the top note.

Rose opens the middle notes but it's
    faint and diluted then iris with it's powdery texture steeps slowly though
    the middle note then delicate note of
    purple violet finishes the middle note.

The drydown opens with an milky accord
    that is a bit cloying to my senses amber
    with a warm coziness begins to makes it's presence then it finishes with
    dry sandalwood and vanilla to end this
    femininity.

FragDeck's avatar

Reaction for Men by Kenneth Cole

Not a bad scent, though overly synthetic, its got decent projection. The longevity is a bit weak, I get about 4-5 hours from it, so feel free to "over-apply", if you will (5-6 sprays works for me). A good everyday wear, non offensive. Smells better than Cool Water, imo. This blends in nicely with todays world of aquatics, it wont stick out, but at the same time a bit different than the rest of the bunch. 6.5/10.

SmellMeister's avatar

Blu Mediterraneo Fico di Amalfi by Acqua di Parma

Really wanted to like this one; bright citrus opening (dominated by grapefruit to my nose) but soon dries down to become a sweet rather cloying scent. I certainly wouldn't call this one 'refreshing', as the citrus notes are gone so quickly. It's a very black and white progression: citrus then sweet. Not for me, but not quite a thumbs down.

derekhazelfjmax's avatar

Original Vetiver by Creed

I read about this on here and had to investigate after becoming addicted to Comme De Garcons Series 4 Vettiveru. Started off with a nice grassy smell but this quickly went and it ended with a "I've just come out of a soapy bath" experience that did last for about 5 hours. I am not sure that this is what i want to smell on myself constantly and it started to bore me as it did not come and go in any different forms. It was in my opinion not worth the premium price tag as to smell of soap caqn be done much cheaper! Go for CDg Series 4. Much more interesting. I also bought the Tom Ford Grey vetiver that started off terrible with an strong alcohol smell but once this matured I was left with a yummy woody sweet aroma that lasted forever that I couldnt stop picking in waves.

princekk13's avatar

Miami by Playboy

A surprisingly pleasant one for the price you pay. Slightly sweetish, but nice and refreshing.

sillage monster's avatar

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

This smells exactly like that nauseating airplane smell that some people do like, but I can't stand. Not for me.

sillage monster's avatar

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

This one definitely grew on me. I was initially repulsed by its woody, boozy feel but I eventually got to love the cozy vibe it gives. Not much else smells like this, and it gets compliments like crazy. Hands down the perfect Fall fragrance.

md1grwl's avatar

Fat Electrician by Etat Libre d'Orange

A fragrance that has contrasting parts. A ‘fat’ part, and an ‘electric’ part.

The “Fat” part:
    Vanilla bean, opoponax and myrrh create this. These base and heart notes lend to a warm vanilla like, semi-gourmand sensual feel. I’m reminded of Givenchy Pi here, but I like FE much more. These notes create a comforting, ‘round’ feel (insert ‘fat’). Very wearable and very likeable

The “Electrician” part:
    Vetiver baby! This is the sharper, more rooty aspect of vetiver used. Some say it has a ‘metallic’ (insert ‘electric’) sense to it, but I don’t get that whatsoever. It’s a sharp dry vetiver note to me, and as a vetiver lover, there is nothing off putting about it. I’m also highly, highly reminded of the use of vetiver in The Different Company Sel de Vetiver here. FE has that same, semi salty gauzy accord to it.

The “Fat Electrician” as a whole:
    Overall a very wearable, likeable vetiver/vanilla scent. Its Givenchy Pi with a masculine sharper top. The overall feel is very warm and inviting, without being too ‘gooey’ and over vanilla like which I like (and keeps me away from Givenchy Pi). The salty/dry vetiver creates a very interesting pairing and offsets nicely the warmer opoponax & myrrh. It highly reminds me of Sel de Vetiver which I already own and absolutely love. Its so close I question if its worth owning both… but I’ll probably spoil myself and buy FE too, I like it that much.

If you’re a fan of Sel de Vetiver, definitely give this a testing.

19th October, 2010 (Last Edited: 06th February, 2012)

cosmopolit's avatar

Sweden Sweden

1740 Marquis de Sade by Histoires de Parfums

Besides the evocation of early motor racing/Bond films (love it, Foustie!), the leather and pipe tobacco of this wonderful fragrance really takes me back to my dad's university office, c. 1963.

I don't think 1740 compares that well to other more straight-ahead leather fragrances (nobody is going to mistake it for Oud Cuir dArabie, for example). 1740's blend of resin, spices, tobacco and leather is much closer to something like Ambre Russe, though AR is brighter, with more tea and gingerbread. 1740 is darker, richer and plummier, probably due to the inclusion of immortelle, which underpins the earlier development. A beautifully rendered immortelle emerges in a more singular way (along with patchouli) in the later drydown, which ought to seal the deal for loves of that note.

I have changed my review to a neutral rating, as 1740 becomes to powdery for me in the midnotes, which prompted me to swap my bottle.

19th October, 2010 (Last Edited: 22nd May, 2012)

musclegod007's avatar

Memoir Man by Amouage

Sycomore on steroids, I HAVE MINE!!!

paolo74's avatar

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

It's the daywear version of Chanel Allure pour homme. It's more fresh,casual, not cloying then the original version.

JonB's avatar

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Musk Ravageur is more about vanilla, and cinnamon or cocoa than it is about musk. Musk is barely detectable in the blend. This should be advertised as a gourmand rather than musk. I find MR to be ultimately boring.

irfan's avatar

Malaysia Malaysia

Eau Empire by Rancé

Starts very fresh with a burst of grapefruit. Then after about 15 minutes it becomes green and dries down to a light musk + some woody. The drydown scent is a bit classic but there's nothing more than that. It's a fairly good fragrance but definitely not a great one. I certainly would buy it if I could get a big discount i.e on ebay. But not full bottle worth at all for the retail price coz it smells cheap.

obscura's avatar

White Blooms by Essentially Me

This is not your typical pristine white floral. Whereas many mainstream white florals are pretty in a too-good-to-be-true sort of way, the natural essences, with all of their complexity, really come to the fore in White Blooms. However, the name is a bit misleading. Rather than being a picturesque snapshot, White Blooms is more like a slow-motion film portraying white petals gently tumbling to the ground. The fragrance opens with a beautiful floral burst, but soon the petals wither and begin to fall. The camera pans down to follow them as they glide past the herbacious stem and vegetal leaves. The petals flutter back and forth as they fall, coming in and out of focus. Eventually, the petals come to rest on the mulch and soil below, equal parts spicy and sweet-earthy with just a whisper of white petals remaining. The first time around I was a bit disappointed that White Blooms wasn’t brighter, but after a few wears I came to appreciate the beauty in the descent.

Pamplemousse's avatar

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

Heh - picture this: the Guerlain stand in Debenhams, dangerously unattended. Deft squirts of Vetiver and Chamade onto my brown paper Primarni bag for later sniffing. Still no attendant? I risk a sparing spritz of L'Heure Bleu onto the back of a hand.

But, man! All I got was violets! Overwhelming, candied, stuffy, oversweet violets. Sugary, parma violets sugaring themselves all over me. Did I mention the violet? And my girlfriend hated it too!

I wanted to like it, and still do. I'll probably even try it again sometime. But I had to scrub it off...

Bad Pamplemousse.