Fragrance Reviews from October 2010

Weimar27's avatar
    Weimar27

Bel Ami by Hermès

Bel Ami the perfume with master class
    the opening is well defined with Lemon with a mixture of dry sage and velvety
    citrus note of bergamot dries the top note, the middle section becomes a bit
    more spicy consisting of Carnation with
    the herbal scent of basil with the nuance
    of pepper Jasmine in diluted form makes
    it's presence known and orris seems to
    quiet the jasmine with it's earthy aroma
    dries the middle with sharp ceder,
    Patchouli is elusive and heard to detect
    in Bel Ami that is perhaps the most elusive note in this fragrance,

The drying down starts off deep resinous
    of styrax with undertone of leather for
    an glossy texture and semi-sweetness of coconut then dries to an mossy
    feel of oakmoss and dry vetiver.

Bel Ami conjours for me a vast hunting den in the Scottish estate in the highlands of some pompous Earl with deer antlers a bear rug in the floor with red velvet chairs a huge ornate fireplace
    meticulous crafted ebony table and a vast library of old books from great masters on a dusty shelf musty in scent
    sitting in his luxurious chair sipping
    his blood red Vino in his Burgundy colored robe and idly listening some
    depressing violin adagio almost falling
    asleep,

Bel Ami is for a man or for a few brave
    women who appreciates the finer things in life this is one of the finest cologne in perfumery there is nothing
    cheap or kitschy about Bel Ami they only
    make the top of the line of ingredients
    to make this masterpiece.

domperrier's avatar
    domperrier
    Malaysia Malaysia

Mitsouko by Guerlain

An almost putrid jungle note of greenery in the parfum/extrait can be a little overpowering at the open, but this mellows down to a most unusual peach note that goes on for quite long.

Woodsy, damp notes prevail in the drydown that serve to unify the wearer (me) and Mitsy in a bond of love.

Awesome! And my 2nd favourite scent of 2010.

cashworksforme's avatar
    cashworksforme

Voyage d'Hermès by Hermès

The moment I smelled this I thought of my best freind. She is a free spirit, loves nature, and has an unstoppable energy which is very attractive and causes others to gravitate towards her. This scent is to me is reminiscent of nature, reminds me of being outside in the park. The drydown in delightful, and to me is extremely well-balanced. It is animalistic in a very sexy way. It seems this fragrance was tailor made for this specific person. I just bought it for her as a gift... has yet to arrive. Thank you JCE!

hedonist222's avatar
    hedonist222
    Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

Fille en Aiguilles by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I got the pine and sap for then first 2 hours, then it was boringly candied fruits and spices ( cinnamon and cloves) .I would have preferred a woody dry down.

cpgy2k1's avatar
    cpgy2k1

Aromatics Elixir by Clinique

I'm certainly not expert as are soooo many on this lovely site. But I wanted to share something about this fragrance that I think most don't realize or have missed. I actually used to work at a Clinique cosmetics counter during the '70's when this fragrance came on the scene. For those who find the fragrance too heavy/overpowering, I believe you have applied it incorrectly. When Clinique introduced this fragrance, like the rest of its cosmetic line, it was for those who had sensitive skin. So--instead of applying the fragrance to the wrists and other pulse points like other fragrances, this was designed to be sprayed into the air--creating a mist--followed by a "walk" through the mist. The idea: the fragrance gently infuses your clothes versus being concentrated on any point of your skin. That particular technique accurately distributes the fragrance and leaves the wearer smelling "clean" all day. I'd recommend anyone to try this technique first, then judge the scent from there.

Omnia by Bulgari

Omnia is one of my favorite perfumes. A very modern and original oriental. It has all the components that make it a fragrance for comfort. I get the creamyness of the chocolate, the spicyness from the ginger and saffron, and the wonderful woodyness. Its perfection on my skin from beginning to end. I love spicy fragrances but a lot of spicy perfumes can come off as being too harsh. This has got it all. Spicy, inviting, warm, sensual, cozy, and outdoorsy. And it lasts on my skin until my next shower. Its fabulous.

Anglomania by Vivienne Westwood

This scent is all about violet to me. Violet seems to always dominate on my skin. But as Im not a big fan of violet dominated perfumes this one is blended so well that the violet has character and warmth. Its sweet, warm and floral. I dont get too much leather in this, although I can detect it. What I do get is a mildly spicy violet with an oriental vanillic base. This scent does not overpower on me and lies close to my skin. I like that its unique. I cant say Ive smelled anything like it before.

Its a good fall, winter perfume that would be a great choice on a date for romance and possibly seduction.

Caoimhin's avatar
    Caoimhin

Bang by Marc Jacobs

I consider this to be my first informed fragrance purchase. That is, it's the first time I've taken the time to apply a test spray at the store, go home and spend some time with it, then return to make the final purchase.

There's something very magnetic about Bang, but it's not obvious until the dry down. The pepper in the opening notes is a bit overwhelming. In this way, the name Bang is appropriate. However, after about thirty minutes the fragrance settles into something smooth and earthy. My nose isn't yet seasoned enough to discriminate between the individual elements in the base notes. I can say that it smells rich, warm, and "incensey." There's nothing synthetic about it.

Despite this, it's actually quite subtle once it's settled. Although sillage is fairly prominent, it slips under the radar because it's so organic.

Although powerfully masculine, Bang is ultimately much more sophisticated and conservative than the advertising or even the bottle design suggests. In a way, it even reminds me a bit of my grandfather; it's stern, classical, and gentlemanly.

This is certainly a cold-weather scent. I can see myself wearing this to Thanksgiving dinner or Christmas Eve mass.

Caoimhin's avatar
    Caoimhin

Big Pony 3 by Ralph Lauren

This was my favorite of the Big Pony lineup. It has a nice earthy smell; the mint is fairly prominent, and is very inoffensive. However, it smells very generic. There's nothing unique about it.

Longevity is weak. I didn't notice any more than a few hours.

I think I'm in the minority here, but I like the bottle design. I like the clean boldness of the block Arabic numbers.

I can't really recommend this, mostly due to the price. It's just not a good value. I believe for the ~2.5 oz bottle it's $55. Too much for such a generic scent.

Original Santal by Creed

This perfume is an acquired taste, at the beginning I did not like it very much, as a matter of fact I thought "this is the worst Creed ever", but little by little I have learn to love it. It is not for kids, that is for sure, and those who claim it smells like dentyne probably are enjoying their AXE or Brut because they do not know better.
    It is a very complex scent, very difficult to individualize every component because they are so well intermingled that it is like a "chord", you hear to whole effect without identifying each particular note, and that is the mark of a quality perfume, well constructed and with care.
    It is expensive, no doubt about it, but it lasts all day without the need of having to dab every couple of hours like those cheap perfumes that the critics of this perfume wear.
    The drydown is excellent and I have receive compliments many times using this scent. It is sophisticated, elegant and only for those that can appreciate a good scent.

21st October, 2010 (Last Edited: 17 November, 2010)

Swanky's avatar
    Swanky

Witness by Jacques Bogart

Several years ago I purchased Cacharel Pour Homme; upon wearing, it degenerated from the promising spice opening to a weak and shy wallflower.

Witness is in the same mold structurally as Cacharel: woods, spices and florals. Witness however works much better with the cinnamon staying past the first round. This is not an artificial Big Red chewing gum cinnamon either- this one is the real deal.

The heart consisting of cinnamon and floral notes is the highlight of the event and like some others have stated, I wish I had discovered this gem earlier.

21st October, 2010 (Last Edited: 28 January, 2011)

Swanky's avatar
    Swanky

American Crew Classic Fragrance by American Crew

Originally I thought this was not bad, in the mold of Oscar or Halston's letter fragrances. Upon further wearing, I find it falls apart and stays so close to the skin as to be like I'm wearing nothing. Why pay for that?

There are too many options to choose from to waste with this stuff.

21st October, 2010 (Last Edited: 14 September, 2011)

stevolution's avatar
    stevolution

Pheromone by Marilyn Miglin

Smells like a greener, flowery, version of Windsong. Both have that dusty earthiness to them. The men's version is very similar, only a lot drier and even "dustier" (think green dust.) I like the women's version, especially the bath oil, which I've used in the shower. I used to wear the men's Pheromone quit a bit, but then I was introduced to Lutens and others. Pheromone (men) has lost it's charm for me, but not entirely. It's very nice for when I want something green, arid and powdery. Women should try the male version, too. Either one is nice on a Fall day....when applied lightly. A heavy hand, however, would send you and everyone around you to the ER.

ubuandibeme's avatar
    ubuandibeme

Chypre by Essentially Me

...excuse me...but there seems to be an excess of cumin in my Chypre!

...and lots of it! If you love cumin, this one will melt your heart. If you're like me, and have a serious aversion ~ you may not enjoy it. A little too foody for my taste too. True enough, the cumin fades and what's left is much like Coty's original Chypre! Although it's not my style, this unique take on the genre' should bring some devoted followers.

ubuandibeme's avatar
    ubuandibeme

La Joupe by Essentially Me

La Joupe is a HUGE floral, with jasmine, orange flower, ylang ylang, musk, woods, vetiver, vanilla, tonka, oakmoss - you honestly couldn't fit anymore into this mix! I like the classic perfumery feel of this rich blend. In this case though I feel like less would mean more...and taking a few of the components out of the mix might lend to a more distinct personality. I'm going neutral on La Joupe, but with a slight leaning to the positive.

tracerbullet's avatar
    tracerbullet

The One Gentleman by Dolce & Gabbana

On me, spicy before becoming warmer and sweet...but it does all of this subtly. I think it offers a more understated cold weather fragrance than most orientals, which is why I appreciate it.

lespritz's avatar
    lespritz

Séxual pour Homme by Michel Germain

It smells like CK's Escape, without the longevity! Is good if you get it for cheap!

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Eau de Verveine by Penhaligon's

This has three stages. First is a good citrus opening, lemony and green. Dusky green notes from clary sage and herbs augment this stage. Everything is nice and clean-soapy. The second phase has aromatic notes of clove and lavender. These are quite accurate and evocative, and are as pleasant as the notes of the first phase. Finally there is a lovely musk, which recalls some of the lemon-verbana notes of earlier. In summary, this is a very attractive scent which wears well.

rickbr's avatar
    rickbr
    Brazil Brazil

Womanity by Thierry Mugler

While it`s unique, it`s not so outrageous as I would expect from past Thierry Mugler Compositions. Maybe the uniqueness here relies on exploring something that it`s not so mainstream - the fig note. There are few fig fragrances in mainstream, and none uses the note so intensively as Mugler does here. The fig note reminds me of the fig in Un Jardin En Mediterrane from Hermés. While the Fig in Un Jardin was used to create a warm, vegetal garden aroma, where the fig only suggest the sweet aroma over the green accords, Womanity is a blast of sweet figs. It`s like they have left the figs in a vat of sugar caramel till the figs got thick and sweet. The aroma is between figs in sirup and figs cookies.
    They salty note here is subtle, you have to pay attention to note it on the fig sugar ocean. The base is ambery and seems borrowed from Alien.
    The result seem more suitable for a Victoria Secrets Body Splash than for a Mugler creation. I had expected more, but i think it`s pleasant and i`d like to caught a whiff of it in another person.

DULLAH's avatar
    DULLAH
    Turkey Turkey

Spice and Wood by Creed

This fragrance can be re-created in 4 steps:

1. Have a friend standing 6 feet away smear 3ml of high quality cedar absolute oil (bark, wood, leaves/needles) on some rubber gloves, throw the gloves into a cold, full ashtray.

2. Have this friend cover their hands with some stale ground cloves that were ground 20 years ago, and cover you hands in this powder, then put on the oily/ashy rubber gloves.

3. Take only the smallest inner core of an apple, and cover it in black pepper, and give it to the friend. Have them proceed to eat the apple core (bitter seeds and all), holding it with the ash/cedar covered rubber gloves.

4. Inhale from your safe distance

Dunno who approved this.

nonnative's avatar
    nonnative

Insolence by Guerlain

The problem of Insolence is that it comes after so many masterpieces of Guerlain that a comparison is almost anavoidable. Compared to them, I'm sorry, Insolence lack depth, persistence, complexity, originality. Otherwise it would have been a nice perfume.

Diamondflame's avatar
    Diamondflame
    Singapore Singapore

Classique by Essentially Me

After the first sniff I immediately understood why this was named 'CLASSIQUE'. It is a rich floral oriental in the classical style of the Carons but unfolds its nuanced layers in "fast forward" mode on account of its more natural DNA. I particularly enjoyed the twirly dance of rose, jasmine and orange blossom as it unveiled its heart, accompanied by a blend of spices (probably cloves) and a touch of petitgrain(?) before drying down to what I smell to be labdanum and amber after 3-4 hours. Traces remained on my skin right through the 5th hour. While it seems a little shortlived for an EDP, you won't find me complaining. This is a classic spicy rose made with excellent ingredients!

Lilac Vegetal by Pinaud

This is the most schizophrenic perfume I have experienced in all my life. When I first splashed it in my face and arms I literally gagged, this is the most wretched brew anybody could design. I wanted to go back to the shower and get this contemptible, disgusting and malodorous fetid concoction off my skin. Fortunately I have read the reviews here and trusted my basenotes fellows that had written that this potion opening was repulsive but that it improves notably after just a few minutes. Ten minutes went by and I still reeked with this obnoxious juice and I went to the bathroom and did turn the shower on to get the stench off, while I waited for the water to warm up a waft carrying a scent of powdery lilacs reached my nose like a breeze of fresh air entering a graveyard. The switch was so fast that caught me totally by surprise. I went to my wife and before even asking her anything she exclaimed "What heavenly perfume did you sprayed on you?", "what is it?" "I love it", so, what can I do but give this weird fluid my thumbs up

Usher for Men by Usher

The name of this fragrance should be "Generic", at least is better than VIP, but that does not mean is good.
    It does not have any distinguishable quality on it, it could be one of the thousands of other fragrances that come and go without leaving a mark. I bet it will be gone in a couple of years.
    I bought all three Usher fragrances together, and frankly, I was expecting something better, as I said, VIP stinks, this one is tolerable, but with no "luster" if you know what I mean. The best of the three is UR, but not outstanding either.
    Usher: what a dissapoinment

Patrick Black's avatar
    Patrick Black

Polo Double Black by Ralph Lauren

I have heard good and bad things about this cologne, so going in I was very tentative. First spray...okay maybe a second spray just to...okay this stuff is great! Not only is it the exact scent type I am looking for, but wow I would buy this stuff if I didn't need it.
    The Mango opening smells like fruit and is very inviting, while the Pepper is right there holding back the SWEET/fake fruit smell that would otherwise make you smell like a puff.
    The coffee is the next thing that hits you. "Hit" is the wrong word for it...Grabs you. Its such a great note, matched with the hint of Nutmeg it is such a wonderful addition to the fruity/peppery opening. The woods underneath the scent create such a great base. It smells like the smell is coming from your skin (instead of being a cloud around you) because the woods really add that depth to the fragrance that a lot of "younger guy" colognes are missing.
    It doesn't have the same class and refinement as the original Polo, (its better than Polo Black) but you can still tell it is a Polo smell. It has that...posture that most colognes don't. Polo Double Black will make a great addition to anyones collection.

highpass's avatar
    highpass

Knize Forest by Knize

Leather, lamp oil, some animal (maybe the leather too). Doesn't last long, quite strong at first though. I dislike it.

Secret Obsession by Calvin Klein

Plums and spice and quite unisex IMO. It reminds me somehow of Jo Malones Pomegranate Noir due to the fact that both frags remind me somewhat of poppurri. Someone had compared this to a rootbeer float, and I totally get that. All in all Im not impressed by this scent. I would never by a bottle. But its not bad either. Its not loud, or in your face, but its no wallflower either.

turbocharg3dazn's avatar
    turbocharg3dazn

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

At first I really liked this scent, but after a few multiple uses I found it to be too sweet and really offensive before the dry down. Yes the longevity is amazing and it never seems to go away, however I do not enjoy smelling like a sweet bakery all night long. Additionally, something in this product causes me to have an allergic reaction and I will never use Angel Men again. Supposedly, there was a petition to the FDA about this product causing severe skin reaction issues.

Quicksand's avatar
    Quicksand

Jubilation XXV by Amouage

First let me say I have smelled the 3 most talked about Amouage colognes, Dia, Gold and Jub XXV. Dia is my least favorite of the bunch. I will agree it smells like its made with the freshest ingredients like all Amouage scents but the finished product smells like any other frag on the market to me. Its seems very neutral. Next was Gold and although I'm not a floral scent man, I did like this. Could I ever wear it? NO. The man wearing this scent has to have a certain type of personality to pull this scent off. Gold in my opinion smells like the mans version of the Fracas for woman (1million flowers mostly roses and a few drop of spice).

Then I put on Jubilation XXV and it seemed as if time stopped. This is best frag I have ever smelled. EVER!! Its a sexy Arabian blend of sweets, spices and musk. This is what the Kings wore! I keep stop sniffing my hands REALLY! On my skin after 2-3 hours, I get frankincense and myrrh, honey and cinnamon. They are all equal in their presence. I would say that longevity might be an issue (it doesn't leave but the volume goes down a few notches after a few hours), but when I go to bed at night, I can smell it on my pillows and my on sheets, so it must still be there. Spraying your clothes will do the trick. Something about JXXV just makes you feel like royalty when your spray it and wear it. Its worth $300 to me!

***UPDATE***

It has been 2 months since i have been wearing XXV and I still feel the same way, and nothing has changed since the first day. The comments i get from wearing it have ranged from "unusual", "sexy" to "you smell sweet at first then it changes into something else i cant think of". I have also been told on more that one occasion that its a powerful smell(2 neck, 1 wrists here). I used to spray my clothes but now I spray it very close to the skin. After doing such, I let the frag roll and run over my skin instead of rubbing it in which seems to thin it out to me. It drys with an oil-like stain on this skin and keeps the scent together.

22 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 29 May, 2012)

distortech's avatar
    distortech

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

I find this one very nice, but nothing special. To me it lacks the distinctiveness and quality characteristics that makes me think Chanel. To give it that characteristic, I would have amped up the incense note a few times, but that's just me. Nonetheless, this it's very wearable and I did get a few compliments on it when I wore it out. In my opinion, it projects better on fabric than skin, so spray that shirt and jacket boys!

23 October, 2010