Fragrance Reviews from October 2010

Zut's avatar
    Zut

Captain Molyneux by Molyneux

How I miss Captain... It is no longer available in Montréal where I live. I wore it in the late 70's and I still can remember how wearing it made me feel. It was fresh and warm at the same time. I had so many compliments for it. I haven't smelled it since. I hope they did not change it's composition like so many perfume houses have done to their classics in the past decade.

Pollux's avatar
    Pollux
    Argentina Argentina

7 de Loewe by Loewe

A very nice surprise indeed for its originality and complexity - still, most of the notes mentioned (Neroli, Muguet, Rose, Pepper, Incense, Atlas cedar, Musk, Red apple, Cedar) are not among the ones I can perceive as prominent: that would be cloves as the type smelt in eugenol mixed with incense, later morphing into cedar and incense and some floral notes. Loweve 7's blend would seem to play around these for a substantial amount of time, even though this remark may suggest lack of compexity, this is not so for this is one if its remarkable attributes - top, mid and base notes take a lot of time to evolve.

It is a manly, serious, formal scent crafted in a very classical yet updated way. So far, one holding my attention when it comes to adding to my wardrobe.

epicurean's avatar
    epicurean

Armani Privé Bois d'Encens by Giorgio Armani

I'd bypassed the Privé range for a long time, simply because nothing in the mainstream Armani range could possibly have led me to believe that the Privé scents would have anything memorable -- let alone fantastic -- to offer. How wrong I was. I've finally sampled Bois d'Encens, and it is as simple as it is rich and fantastic. Textbook treatment of the genre of the incense-smoke-and-pepper fragrance; dry, with the slight crackle of a slow-burning fire. Warm, yet beautifully austere, as a religious ceremony involving incense might be austere and introspective. Similar price range to the Amouage line, and I'd say worth it.

Laila by Geir Ness

Find this one so different from the other reviewers...strong, strong, strong watermelon opening that last forever and is headache inducing. The drydown is nice but on me it takes hours...not worth the wait. Best part of this one is the lingering smell on clothes the next day. Lasts forever which is wonderful if you like Laila. I do not.

Jivago 24K Women by Jivago

I truly love 24K, it is my "romantic" scent. Reminds me of fine wine and candlelight. My husband, ever the mood killer says it smells nice, just like soap. Not the reaction I was hoping for but 24 still does it for me. Wear it when I want to feel sexy and alive.....

Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

Both my husband and sons remarked "what is that smell??" Told them it was Paris to which they added "could you take that off before we go out." Enough said. Thumbs down for sure.

Versace by Versace

This Versace reminds me very much of a much lighter (and nicer) Laila. The fruity opening is not as strong and long lasting and it settles into a lovely powdery floral. Although nothing special, it is quite nice and definitely perfect for office or daily use.

Diamondflame's avatar
    Diamondflame
    Singapore Singapore

Tangos by Essentially Me

It started off with herbs and dry wood spices with a trace of a sour plum-like note before settling into a very dry floral heavily tinted with spicy tobacco(?). Nicely-blended I must say and I'm describing it the way my nose interpreted it. However, the official list of notes include violet leaf, tobacco, jasmine, rose and guaiacwood. But whatever; the blending may not allow for easy notes dissection but what is more important here is the overall quality of the composition.There is a subtle but dark deep green thread of oakmoss running through it that lends TANGOS a rugged Mediterranean vibe that is assuredly masculine. I love it!

irfan's avatar
    irfan
    Malaysia Malaysia

Costume National Homme by Costume National

This is one of my favourite cologne. It's unique and mysterious yet very wearable and fresh/modern. IMO it's on par with Musc Ravageur, Chergui, C&S No.88, Colonia and other top niche fragrances, coz it definitely turns heads around. Suitable to boardroom meetings, meeting clients, and even a date after work.

You won't regret buying it unsniff.

obscura's avatar
    obscura

Fauve by Essentially Me

Fauve is like a dream in which you are walking through a jungle in Madagascar with lush flowers blooming all around and fragrant vanilla pods scattered across the mossy forest floor. However, in the middle of this dream walk, you stumble across a group of Eastern Orthodox monks processing through a clearing, blessing the forest with their aromatic swinging censers. On the whole, Fauve is alternately mossy, floral, and balsamic with a surprising burst of incense midway through its development. In the end, it dries down to a cool, earthy base that is inviting and masculine.

nattonline's avatar
    nattonline

Follia di Aquarama by Riva

Not sure what's wrong with the bottle that I had, but it was bitter and dry like a mixture of the white part of orange rind, plastic wood veneer, and aspirin powder. Yuck!

Weimar27's avatar
    Weimar27

Green Valley by Creed

This smells almost similar to Carrillon pour un ange by Tauer but less harsher and
    less oily, the opening sharp and greenish
    but dries smooth with a unusual sweetness
    a fruity drydown with a glossy leather basenote effect which i find a bit cloying
    and uncomfortable to my senses and it has a minty edge when the harsh fruit and leather are ceasing.
    this is just an average scent to me nothing exciting.

Ryanbassist26's avatar
    Ryanbassist26

Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger

After all this time I finaly got my nose on this and ... well it didnt impress me much really. Its not awful but its nothing exceptional or anything. As far as smell I really liked the spearamint in this but all the other random ingredients kind of took away from that... smell alone id give it a 7/10 rating... and only lasted on me like 4-6 hours...

caodarkdisaster's avatar
    caodarkdisaster
    Turkey Turkey

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

İ think that fragnance's best important speciality is smelling fresh but you can use this every season very cool very sexy. ican imagine when i wear this i feel so oriant this is your chose your adaptation.

Grottola's avatar
    Grottola

Fuel for Men / DK Men by Donna Karan

I got a whiff of the relaunched Fuel for Men at Bergdorf's in New York a year or so ago, but at the time I had so many fragrances on my wrists and hands and arms and nostrils that I could not judge properly. Concerning the original, I've still hoarded a supply of various mini bottles of this and I have a little bit left in my original full-size. I remember this scent very well from when I was a kid, and all I can say is that it is some high octane sh*t - a warm, creamy, leathery fragrance that is VERY masculine. Not offensive at all, but this can announce your presence very well. DK Men is a very distinctive scent, and once you smell it you'll never forget it.

So yes, a creamy, leathery fragrance that starts out smelling like leather and booze with a hint of fruitiness to me. As it dries down, it still retains this, however just becoming smoother and woodsier - like a warm burning fireplace. I would not be surprised if tobacco is in this. The sandalwood is a key player here, interacting with the juniper, almond, pineapple and musk to create the leather/smoky aroma. Suede and motor oil? You bet. This is THE scent to wear with a leather jacket, no doubt. Sillage isn't monster, but the fragrance does last a good while. An absolutely wonderful masculine cold weather scent, and one of my all-time favorites.

23 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 09 January, 2011)

galwaygirl001's avatar
    galwaygirl001
    Ireland Ireland

LouLou Blue by Cacharel

Loulou Blue will always be my 'first love' perfume and it was my signature fragrance for several years. I discovered it when I was 14 years old and it was love at first sniff! It is long discontinued. I have a little stockpile of four bottles!

LouLou Blue is a oriental floral fragrance, launched in 1995, as a lighter, fresher version of Loulou. Loulou Blue was created by Jean Guichard of Giavudan-Roure in conjunction with Annette Louit of Cacharel.

Top notes: green notes, peach, anise & bergamot
    Middle notes: honeysuckle, orchid, freesia & orris root
    Base notes: sandalwood, tonka bean, vanilla & vetiver

If you can weather the initial burst, Loulou blue is sweet, deep and mysterious.

I cannot understand why cacharel discontinued it, but I suspect lolita lempicka which came out two years later with similar notes - anise, vetiver, tonka, vanilla, orris - stole its thunder! Loulou blue is the better fragrance of the two IMHO.

23 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 28 June, 2012)

ChewIron's avatar
    ChewIron
    New Zealand New Zealand

Chloé Eau de Parfum Intense by Chloé

To throw a spanner into the works I am not a floral fan and rose is generally the one floral I stay, no, run away from. Nevertheless, this beautiful perfume is one of the two rose fragrances in my collection (the other is a Quiet Morning by Miller et Berteuax). The EDP has good staying power (it remains on my skin for the whole day). It is a powdery and linear perfume that I could easily work up into a sultry night out or tone down for a casual summers day. Although it tends to be the autumn fragrances that showcase the quality of depth and warm crispiness that this has, I feel that this has a good foothold in any season all year round 24 hours a day.

Pollux's avatar
    Pollux
    Argentina Argentina

Cuba Orange by Cuba Paris

If you are giving this one a chance, do it for the mid and base notes for they are quite similar to that of Rochas Lui. The top notes are, simply said, off putting.

Late-Hit's avatar
    Late-Hit

Norell by Norell

Dark, thick, pungent, green, floral... and definitely not one to overapply. Oh yes, this is a serious perfume for serious women, and Norell demands a serious attitude, and maybe diamonds and a fine dress or well tailored suit.

Normal Norell was an important New York Fashion designer, and his only fragrance was developed towards the end of his (long) career. In many ways, Norell was already 'retro' when it was introduced in 1968. Seek out the older versions, as they really are better; an edp version was also produced.

Cheeky's avatar
    Cheeky

Moschino Couture! by Moschino

Moschino coup de foudre! All my happiness boys are here- mandarin, bergamot, jasmine, vanilla, cedar. I love Couture! - Iaughing, sniffing, and brimming with confidence that I have on the right perfume for a variety of situations. But my daughter, no doubt drawn in by the charming red bow, has already stolen away with my new perfume find. Guess I'll have to order another bottle right away.

CanwllCorfe's avatar
    CanwllCorfe

Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain

Lovely vanilla fragrance. When I first tried it, I got pure vanilla extract and thought, why would anyone wanna smell like this? I got a brief blast of the lovely fruity/spicy pink peppercorn, but aside from that just pure thick vanilla. After getting a rather large decant, I've been able to give it more wearings and feel out more detail. The opening is rich in benzoin, which I love. Right off the vial it smells eerily like vanilla ice cream. How great is that?! Once you apply it I get that benzoin, the main culprit: vanilla, and a bit of the spicy/fruity pink peppercorn. As it dries down, the benzoin calls it a day. Once benzoin says goodbye, here comes a wee bit of soft florals to keep the vanilla company. This, a long with cedar keeping tabs on everyone. Not a dry or raspy cedar, but a wet and lively cedar. Definitely full bottle worthy! I hope to get it someday. To think I may have dismissed it as pure vanilla extract.

Aqua Allegoria Flora Nerolia by Guerlain

This Neroli is close to the real thing! I love wearing in during summer, because the fragrance lifts me up & makes me alert during heat-waves.

Aqua Allegoria Lavande Velours by Guerlain

This is one of the most elegant refind lavendel-scents I've tried. Powdery & yum. calmingly sensual.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Kyoto by Comme des Garçons

Love this? Please,be smart & buy "Incense" by Matthew Williamson instead - for a near fraction of this overpriced Kyoto. Matthew Williamsons smells niche & exklusive. Compare these two & save your money!!! Differences between the two? YES = The only difference is "Incense" by Matthew Williamson smells much more refined, niche, and expensive!

PS: Luca Turin, perfume-guru of "The Guide" likes "Incense" by Matthew Williamson too!!

Acqua Di Parma Iris Nobile by Acqua di Parma

Be sure to try both the EDP & EDT before you decide to purchase. Because these 2 are completley different fragrances. The EDT is lame and very light. While the EDP is a real magical stunner! So get the EDP - it's the only way to go with IRIS NOBILE! ;)

Tumulte by Christian Lacroix

GORGEOUS Niche-smelling fragrance for an excellent price. "Tumulte" is an "amped up" dark, naughty outgoing sister to Frederic Malle's "Lipstick Rose". Think "Lipstick Rose" amped up with tons of roses, heliotrope, orris, & musky patchouli darkness. I get loads of powdery violets in the heart (all though this is not listed as a note, it definatley IS present in the heart).

Francoise Caron, is the maker of this "Tumulte" of a fragrance. Francoise Caron is also the nose behind work of perfume-art like Acqua di Parma's "Iris Nobile" edp & Jean Charles Brosseau's "Ombre Rose L'Original". So sort of like these 3 fragrances combined. Like a classic gone totally patchouli-wild & darkley exotic. The beutiful perfume-add of this fragrance, with the gorgeous oriental lady *looks like this perfume smells* !! Oh, and the bottle is perfect for this fragrance, and *oh so very very beutiful*. A true Oriental Floral (must have for fans of this olfactive group). You shouldn't miss it.

AND, my dear boyfriend never notices a new fragrance on me (can't blame him, check my wardrobe, I'm a fanatic collector). But this made him go *wow this is so seeexy gorgeous Mmmmm* as he burried his nose in my neck.

10/10 stars.

Matthew Williamson - The Collection: Incense by Matthew Williamson

Please,be smart&buy "Incense" by Matthew Williamson instead - for a near fraction of the Comme des Garcons "Series 3 Incense: Kyoto". Matthew Williamsons smells niche & exklusive. Compare these two & save your money!!! Differences between the two? YES = The only difference is that this "Incense" by Matthew Williamson smells much more refined, niche, and expensive! PS: Luca Turin, perfume-guru of "The Guide" likes this too!!

Blanc by Paul & Joe

I've got the more pretty white porcelain+silver bottle! Blanc is a fresh floral created by Jean Claude Ellena. Blanc, which features notes of hawthorn, angelica, almond, sweet pea, freesia, lily, rose, musk, heliotrope and cloud of milk. Blanc shares several notes (hawthorn, angelica, heliotrope, maybe iris) with another Jean Claude Ellena fragrance, L’Eau d’Hiver from Frederic Malle, and in fact, while they are not identical twins, they might fairly be called relatives. What differences they have are more obvious in the first 20 minutes, when Hiver has considerably more presence, and Blanc feels rather like Hiver’s younger, fresher, calmer cousin. Very pretty bottle! Not for me ... too bad..

shoegal68's avatar
    shoegal68

Sunflowers by Elizabeth Arden

Sometimes the most memorable scents are also the cheapest, they remind us of a time in our lives when this was the best we could buy. For some they bring back memories of happy times, youth bright sunny days. For me it was a gift from hubby, with a newborn and a 2 year old it was all we could afford. Was it the greatest scent out there, probably not,was it the greatest scent for some at the time definately. Will I wear it again maybe, will I sniff it and be flood with wonderful memories, always.

gistmei5's avatar
    gistmei5

Wall Street by Bond No. 9

I find this fragrance to be very fresh, lemony and green. It lacks the sweetness of MI by creed. If you are looking for a sweet fragrance, you better buying MI.