Fragrance Reviews from October 2010

The_Cologneist's avatar
    The_Cologneist

Canali Men by Canali

Just another fragrance with no purpose. Canali does absolutely nothing for me. It reeks of so many different notes that it's hard to pull apart, it's just a synthetic smelling mess. I guess it's fair to say that everything is blended together very smoothly, but I don't know what it is I'm smelling. Grapes, lemons, berries, woods, leather, tobacco and spices along with many other fruits, citrus, florals, etc.. all in one huge accord. It doesn't by any means smell bad, but very boring, and uninspired.

This fragrance is kind of along the lines of Allure, in terms of genre. It doesn't really fit in any genre.. I got one we can put them both in.. "synthetic city".

PerfumeCollector's avatar
    PerfumeCollector

Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

Ralph Lauren keeps on disapointing me, Polo Black is soooooooo generic and honestly, I did not enjoyed it at all. Trying to coattail the success of the original Polo without success.
    And what are "Green Effervescent Accords" and "Lush Liquid Accords" anyway? I'll tell you what: synthetics, period. And Hedione? It is Benzyl Salicylate, another synthetic. Ralph, you put american perfumery in shame. No wander we continue buying French, English and Spanish perfumes, because the icon of American perfumery keeps on putting junk in the market.

BlueHillsgal's avatar
    BlueHillsgal

Bas de Soie by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I waited two months for a sample of this from the Perfumed Court. I was SO excited when it finally arrived - I ripped open the bag and sprayed. I don't know if something went wrong in shipping, but I was so taken aback by the "old lady scent" that I threw it out.

Take II: a small sample arrived with others from Lucky Scent, so I decided to give it another try. Although I was initially put off (again), I became somewhat enchanted after the dry down. Maybe it's the iris in the beginning that is not working well on me. However, after five minutes or so, this is a lovely, green, clean scent. Don't think that I would pay to purchase a bottle, but I'm a little ticked off that I threw away a larger sample to work with!

shamu1's avatar
    shamu1

Eau de Quinine by Pinaud

Utterly boring and uninspired. Granted, you don't expect a company that specializes in old school barbershop fragrances to do anything groundbreaking, but compared to Pinaud's Special Reserve, Clubman and Lilac Vegetal, Eau de Quinine will keep you snoring.

Basically this is just soapy and powdery, and nothing else. I guess you could say it sort of smells like shaving cream, but you don't need a bottle of Eau de Quinine to acheive that smell.

It's not an awful scent by any means, but it's so dull and nondescript, I can't say any more than this. If you need a plastic bottle to take up space on your bathroom shelf, get one of Pinaud's other aftershaves, which are much better.

MY RATING: 5/10

24 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 08 December, 2010)

Francois Blais's avatar
    Francois Blais

Lancetti Monsieur by Lancetti

Reminds me strongly of Boucheron pour homme, but softer.
    Take Boucheron, tone it down, remove some floral and add some spices, et voilà!
    Excellent!

Trade Wind by Essentially Me

This one wasn't to my personal liking, but it was still blended well. It does make you think of the outdoors being in the wind. A little too green and medicinal for me, seems more for a man, although I did enjoy testing it. When I first put it on I could not pinpoint any given specific notes in it. When I saw the notes online it was interesting to see all that goes into a perfume creation.

The funny thing about perfume is that some that you don't like at first can be ones you treasure later. I've had a few where that has been the case.

La Joupe by Essentially Me

The vetiver overwhelmed me and I'm not a vetiver lover. I think others who enjoy Coco by Channel will savor this one since it's so similar. I'm putting a thumbs up for the rich type of fragrance this is, but my own personal preference isn't a thumbs up, because this type of fragrance depresses me; maybe it's the vetiver and woods combined together. The whole bunch of notes come on strong go away suddenly in a 2 hours time instead of lingering .

Tangos by Essentially Me

I was lucky enough to get 10 samples to try and guess what? This one got the blue ribbon at my own in-home personal state fair exhibition. I have to own this. This one reminded me of hunks of chocolate. Chocolate isn't in the notes that are given, but that's what I smell after an hour as it heats up on me. Maybe it's the rich tobacco leaf and violet combination that is giving me this chocolate sensation. I don't know, can't figure it out, but I do love it.

The tobacco is well blended, like Habit Rouge's tobacco. Cherry pipe tobacco was coming through at one point. One thing about all this whole line is that it is has to smolder and set, which makes for a good wearing of whatever it is.

On the Essentially Me Website it says something about a dark haired lady in Argentina wearing this. I'm here to tell you that I look plain as Patty Duke in her 1950's series and this one's for me! I could saturate myself in Tango and I'd apply it to my cold weather jacket too.

Kuan Yin by Essentially Me

Before I saw the notes online here's what I wrote: I like the way the mandarin /orange weaves it's way through this scent. It blends with the cedar and leather scents for the first 10 minutes. There are flowers in here too, yet I can't pinpoint them. It warms up to a spicy flower combo after an hour.

After I saw the notes online here's what I wrote: The orange-like scent must have been the osmanthus flower because this flower is supposed to resemble apricots from what I read about it. This is likable and wearable for me; a good "go out in public" perfume, an everyday one that I can wear all day and not get tired of it.

I

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Fleur du Matin by Miller Harris

This opens with a very accurate and pleasant pink grapefruit note. Leafy-citrus notes give a lovely springtime air. There are also hints of herbal notes. Marjoram suggests hay and sweet grass. A tiny bit of basil lends an aromatic character. The scent is crisp and cheery, and quite refreshing. Honeysuckle develops a honeyed-floral note with a bit of a tangy sharpness. Now the scent is pretty but not sweet, and still in a springtime vibe. Unisex in style. Overall, the scent is quite sheer. It is a springtime splash and doesn’t last long, but it is nice while it does last. Could be reapplied many times throughout the day.

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Ferré for Him by Gianfranco Ferré

Very, very sweet. Toothache-inducing sweet. Fruits and floral notes, all rather muddled together and vague. Vague woody notes. The dry-down has a cool-fresh aspect. I can’t find anything distinctive here, and there is nothing which appeals to me.

rickbr's avatar
    rickbr
    Brazil Brazil

Divin'enfant by Etat Libre d'Orange

I expected more from this one. I imagined that i`d start innocent, delicate, and end in a dark, smoky, leathery base, but instead what i got is a big floral oriental on me.
    It`s not so distant from a mainstream fragrance of Jean Paul Gaultier. Divin Enfant has a great resemblance with Jean Paul Gaultier, due to the fact that both fragrances relies on woody honeyed amber and orange flower. The difference is that Divin Enfant adds more complexity to the game and increase the sweatness by putting a marshmalow note at the top that gives you a sugary aroma to the flower and amber accord. When it starts to develop, the scent goes in a soft suede and creamy mocha direction, nothing so dark or daring.
    It`s not bad, but it`s not great either. A strange creature, that doesn`t seem childish or divine.

cheryl's avatar
    cheryl

Arabian Nights - Pure Oud by By Kilian

Ok, I'm another nay-sayer. I want to say first off that I like other fragrances in this line, and expected this one to be of similar quality. Alas, to me this smells exactly like a very easily obtained aroma-chemical that is used to create LEATHER in perfume. That's it. I have the chemical: they are the same. If you love this, you could pay the same as a latte at your fave coffee shop for the same experience. I do not experience any other notes. I also don't get the oud...which is what I was looking for in a perfume named pure oud. Then after 30 minutes or so the disappointment fades, because the entire scent has faded. So, I'm a bit hostile to the whole event.

Swanky's avatar
    Swanky

Tiffany for Men by Tiffany

Tiffany for Men is a classy and sophisticated fragrance, perfect for a Cadillac sedan and black tie. That said, Tiffany, although formal, is not overwhelming and heavy nor stuffy. It's very smoothly done and quite wearable. Longevity is formidable as might be expected by an old school oriental, but with 3-4 sprays the sillage does not overpower.

On me, the floral aspects are to the fore, similar to, but richer than, Lagerfeld Classic. The latter is sweeter and more powdery than Tiffany for Men, but has a similar character. The spice notes are present in TfM but not as potent as Obsession for Men or Santos. Tiffany is more affordable than similar fragrances from Guerlain and Chanel, but it would not be out of place in their lineups.

Swanky's avatar
    Swanky

Vanderbilt for Men by Gloria Vanderbilt

Vanderbilt for Men reminds me of a quieter Zino Davidoff. It's probably a little harder to find than Zino and overall Zino is a richer fragrance, so Davidoff's work is the superior choice.

If I didn't have Zino already, this would be a more unique and pleasurable arrow in the quiver. For those who like a touch of tobacco and a touch of sweetness, V f M is worth a sniff.

Grottola's avatar
    Grottola

XS pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

To be quite honest, this is the closest representation, along with Xeryus Rouge, of Old Spice Pure Sport deodorant.

Now, you may be thinking, "Isn't that bad?" Well, no. At least not from my nose. I like the smell of Pure Sport deodorant, and wanted something that smells like it. XS doesn't smell EXACTLY like it - it's more refined, a fresh, green, that eventually dries down to slightly sweet woods and musk that are close to the skin. However, if you're searching for something that smells like Pure Sport, XS for warm weather and Xeryus Rouge for cold weather are the best choices, in my opinion. I used thirteen commas in this review. That is far too many.

irfan's avatar
    irfan
    Malaysia Malaysia

Bois de Filao by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Ohh this is unisex, but leaning towards masculine. Starts with fresh woody + bergamot before it moves to pink pepper after about an hour or so. And after 3-4 hours it dries down to a light amber with a hint of musky patchouli (must be the filao wood). It last long, about 7-8 hours with a pretty good silage. You don't need to re-apply in the afternoon, and that's great. Overall it's really a good scent. I bought it blind online and I'm glad I did.

Francop's avatar
    Francop
    Spain Spain

Classique by Essentially Me

Beautiful rose scent with great longevity and sillage...

I can intially detect a zesty note that introduces rose notes that make this scent my favourite of the range so far (I have tried 5 out of 10). These rose notes are very refined and elegant and very uplifting; they also last for absolutely ages...
    The dry down turns into a saffron note that also lingers forever...

I have really enjoyed Classique...big thumbs up...!!!

Francop's avatar
    Francop
    Spain Spain

La Joupe by Essentially Me

Rich and captivating green scent with lots of flowers to play with; it starts with some very oriental notes of orange followed by some heart notes of jasmine with oak moss which last for ages. The dry down provides musk and woods; to my nose the dry down turns into a never ending saffron note which also lingers forever...

A very well done scent with many beautiful moments to enjoy from beginning to end.

Big thumbs up...!!!

Cheeva's avatar
    Cheeva

Original Vetiver by Creed

I love how the lemony, Italian bergamont, slaps you in the face at first spray! a much more refined and better crafted fragrance than Therri Muglar Cologne in my opinion. truley a creed classic. I would not pay full price for this now somewhat dated ,reformulated fragrance. I would either buy at fragrancenet., or the fragrance district in laredo tx.

Cheeva's avatar
    Cheeva

Aventus by Creed

I samples this stuff couple of days ago, (Ill skip the notes), the first blast to my nose was the apples and pinnaple, which to be honest, I didn't like. as the day went on I felt like the pinnaple stayed linear. If i could describe what this smells like, I would say it smells very similar to Chanel allure Homme, but a more refined version. I didn't smell any of the roses or the moss, but I did notice the ambergris has been cut way back in this fragrance, which is a nice change of pace for creed. Now having said all this, I must give credit where credit is due. the projection and the silage were both AMAZING, AMAZING. this lasted on my skin 12 hours plus., no lie! the first 6 hours this projected great I could still smell this on myself, my wife could still smell me.it was great. next six hours, it sat close to my skin like typical creeds. so for this extreme longevity, im gonna give aventus a thumbs up!, and a must try.

Bryann9182's avatar
    Bryann9182

Rochas Man by Rochas

A great light gourmand

Scent - A, sweet sugar, coffee, vanilla, mocha. Compliment monster
    Projection - C, average projection on me
    Longevity - B, 5-7 hours for me...pretty solid
    Versatility - B, pretty versatile gourmand. Not very thick and overpowering imo
    Uniqueness - C, lots of coffee/chocolate smelling gourmands out there but most of them don't do it as good as this one

obscura's avatar
    obscura

La Joupe by Essentially Me

Alec Lawless describes La Joupe as mysterious and oriental, but it strikes me quite differently. Initially, La Joupe makes me think of a carefree young woman wearing a white blouse and a simple, flowy skirt reading in the park on a warm afternoon. Her hair is in soft ringlets that keep blowing across her face with the breeze, but she doesn’t seem to mind. The well-blended florals of La Joupe are feminine and beautiful, and the politely musky base is simultaneously grown-up and a touch innocent. As the fragrance develops, hints of spice and incense come through, shifting La Joupe in an oriental direction. Even after this transformation, however, it is as if the young woman has changed clothes for a night on the town but has left her hair in the soft, breezy ringlets. Although she is dressed for an evening out, there is something about her that seems slightly girlish, rather than sultry and sophisticated.

annabolina's avatar
    annabolina

Aoud Velvet by Montale

According to Luckyscent: Oud, Ylang-ylang, orange blossom, tiare, vanilla, tonka bean, sandalwood.
    For my nose aoud-shot in the beginning isn't restrained at all. It presents oneself in no time, as a leading instrument in an orchestra. No manner of doubt - this gonna be a ruthless beauty, unforgettable, and unique. And then comes the show: enthralling, rich white flowers with the sweetest oriental base. The whole juice is so bizarre, 'cose you are starting to crave after something unattainable. I just simply want to eat myself every time I wear this.
    The real beauty of this scent develops in an hour. Warm, voluptuous, deep, refined.
    I would say it is a fruity floral rather than a floral woody musk. I dont know what causes the fruitiness, but it has some kind of similarity with Chinatown from Bond, or Miss Dior Cherie..... with the recognizable quality from Master Pierre of course.

wggmn3's avatar
    wggmn3

Claiborne Sport by Liz Claiborne

Although I was evidently wrong to have originally designated this frag as a feminine one which now explains why a lot of men are weighing in here....I still feel it leans a bit towards the femmy side (more so than most fresh, outdoors-y, aqua-y frags)... nonetheless. it can ultimately pass as a unisex fragrance...in the long run, actually in the short run, I find it a bit weak with little sillage...but I've also only just given it a shot or two...and feel your bucks can be better spent...as others have said, worth the investment if the investment is low...for the present, neutral at best...actually at present (9/2011) more favorable if, again, the price is right...

25 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 16 September, 2011)

wggmn3's avatar
    wggmn3

Curve Chill for Men by Liz Claiborne

Will write the same thing I did for Claiborne Sport:

Again, although it can be said to lean a bit towards the femmy side (more so than most fresh, outdoors-y, aqua-y frags & more so than Claiborne Sport) it nonetheless can easily pass as a unisex fragrance (the name "Curve" also seems more like a female allusion)...in the long run, actually in the short run, I find it a bit weak with little sillage...but I've also only just given it a shot or two...and feel your bucks can be better spent...as others have said, "worth the investment if the investment is low"...Neutral at best, at least for the present...

25 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 16 September, 2011)

Joshaugustt's avatar
    Joshaugustt

Alexa Lixfield 002 by Alexa Lixfield

This is a really nice scent. It's expensive...but it delivers. It's a very warm, woody, spicy scent. It's a perfume so it's more concentrated. It's well worth trying. Josh

Shane's avatar
    Shane

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Well...

I'm only going to review one fragrance on this site... And this is the one.

There are some funny reviews for Rive Gauche pour Homme here... One who gave it a thumbs up mentioned citrus in the opening which made me wonder if he had sampled it at all...

Some give it a thumbs down for being old school or dated.

Everyone has their own preferences... There are those who hate a fragrance for the same reason others love it...

We're all looking for something different in fragrance... Something that speaks to us as an individual, and both defines and compliments the man we are...

For some that is a light, fresh modern scent.

For others it's something more powerful... Timeless and proud.

Rive Gauche pour Homme is unashamedly old school... It pretends to be nothing else. It makes no compromise.

It has no citrus, fruits or flowers in it... No light fresh woods....

It is overtly masculine... As others have mentioned it has the strength of a weightlifter and the endurance of a marathon runner.

It has only pungent strong woods and spice... Exactly as you read in the notes listed... I wont discuss the notes... They are listed for everyone to see... On paper it seems quite straightforward.

Yet these simple notes are combined in the most remarkable way... It has a complexity to match much more expensive scents... Even after hours of wear the top notes can come flooding back... There are times where you can smell the top, middle and base notes all at once... And the way the the notes combine is absolute artistry.

It's depth and breadth are unmatched.

And women are no fools when it comes to class and quality... Trust me... Wearing this, you will receive as many compliments from 18 year old girls as you do from women in their 40s and beyond.

Rive Gauche pour Homme is to mens fragrance what Harley Davidson is to motor bikes... What Levi 501s are to jeans... A timeless classic.

Of course there are those who wont understand this fragrance and will speak badly of it...

As is usual with such criticism, their opinion comes from either a place of immaturity, ignorance or jealousy.

Yves Saint Laurent, Jacques Cavallier and Tom Ford are all geniuses... And this joint effort is a masterpiece of both fragrance and masculinity that may be matched by others, but will never be beaten.

moreda's avatar
    moreda
    Netherlands Netherlands

Antihéros by Etat Libre d'Orange

caron pour un homme in another bottle... less content , less complex, less civet and more expensive.

30 Roses's avatar
    30 Roses

L'Ombre dans L'Eau by Diptyque

This has quickly become one of my favorite fragrances. It's quirky, for sure! The first time I smelled it, a fresh tomato leaf smell hit me first, and I wasn't sure how I felt about it in a perfume. Nevertheless, I had to keep sniffing at it-- it drew me in. I loved the combination of Bulgarian rose and black currant leaves and it wasn't long before I had to buy a bottle. For some reason this fragrance especially pleases me on cool, rainy or overcast days; I find it centering. Five stars from me.