Fragrance Reviews from October 2010

Worth1969's avatar

Gaïac by Martine Micallef

Though Unisex fragrances are not usually my vibe, I find this to be extraordinary.
    Soft, sensuous, luxurious and mesmerizing. I find this to be almost spiritual with it's calm, yet alluring effect. Really enjoy this, just wish i could afford it!

Two thumbs way Up!

Meliscents's avatar

Rue Royale by Hove Parfumeur

Spring time in a bottle! A bit herbal, sappy green, a little soapy with woody, salty base.
    Reminds me of Ivoire De Balmain or the vintage Trigere by designer Pauline Trigere.
    Just beautiful.

Black Suede by Avon

HIDEOUS! That is the best word I can use to describe Black Suede, My best friend loves it & says it works on him. I can not stand it from top to bottom!

Ma Dame by Jean Paul Gaultier

This is a rather nice frag for summer use from the house of Jean Paul Gaultier. Its like having a tasty fruit salad out in a garden of roses during summer time, so fresh, so fruity, so nice. This is most definitely UNISEX & I will be purchasing a bottle & wearing it for spring/summer months of next year! If you fellas can get pass the fem bottle, you will be treated to something nice.

Monsieur Eau du Matin by Jean Paul Gaultier

This is a nice scent fresh, crisp eye opening, but it lacks longevity, Well it really is a EDC & they are not meant to last long anyway. Nice EDC from Gaultier. If it had longer staying power, the masses would be much more satisfied.

Baby Phat Seductive Goddess by Kimora Lee Simmons

My mother likes this.. & I must say it took some time to grow on me, this is a nice frag. Strong, dense, full of darkness! & I must say I have worn this out & while I like it, I wont buy a full bottle because I dont feel its bottle worthy for ME. It does create a sexy, dark vibe thats true to seduce the right person. It is potent & I have 2 say that some women over spray on frags which causes them to STINK! You dont have to over due it to be noticed. Just because you cant smell it DOES NOT mean the person 20 ft away from you can not! 7/10 for this creation.

Unforgivable Night by Sean John

This is another WASTE of time, $$$, & production! I really cant understand why Sean John keeps developing these less than interesting fragrances.. All these notes & I can only detect half of them, also not much staying power, but that is no surprise. This is NOT worth the price tag because there are so many better frags out here that will please you. Fans of Sean John will surely be on the wagon, I can assure you that I am NOT 1 of those hippies!

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

A rather uninspiring frag from the house of Chanel. Its really sad that this is what we have come to hope for from a house with such prestige, This is a fresh clean scent no doubt, however there is nothing in it that makes it STAND OUT above all the other fresh scents out here. If I want something fresh, honestly I will go back to an old favorite of mine Liz Claiborne Sport which cost less $$$ than this, yet does its job very well & maybe better than what Bleu is trying to do. I am by no means impressed with this.

Pure Nautica by Nautica

I gave up on the house of Nautica a long time ago, this is another reason why.. So plain, so ordinary, so blah! This house has not made a frag that stood out since Nautica Competition the Original in the blue bottle & that was discontinued. Nautica is known for producing simple, bland, frags with little to no longevity. Fresh? Yes! 1 of a kind? HARDLY!

Swanky's avatar

Dunhill Edition by Dunhill

Dunhill Edition seems to me among the most successful of what is now a fairly familiar trope in masculine perfumery: the spicy citrus. Oscar For Men, for example, does the same thing in a quite inferior manner, as does Cacharel.

Edition posts nice longevity and it evolves from a vaguely watery citrus up top to a gradually more spicy (pepper and nutmeg?) mid to a tobacco/leather drydown not unlike Givenchy Gentleman or Ho Hang, all the while holding the herbs and spices in his hand. Woods, primarily pine, peek out from the crowd as well. Old School without being "old man", whatever people mean by that.

Swanky's avatar

Hollywood by Playboy

Disappointingly, the new Playboy collection seems to be based upon bestsellers from other makers. Hollywood is in the Armani Code / Deauville / Arpege vein, a sweetened sandalwood and musk. It doesn't smell bad and if you want a cheap alternative to Code or Calvin Klein Man, this should fit the bill.

Grottola's avatar

Safari for Men by Ralph Lauren

Easily the best masculine Ralph Lauren fragrance by a mile. This came out when I was a little guy, and my dad started wearing it - I will always associate it with him. A scent that doesn't offend, however this is unmistakably a Ralph Lauren fragrance. A rich, barbershop-esque masculine with all the notes that make a masculine cologne a masculine cologne. Creates a rich, warming aura and lasts for hours on end....if you want a juice that has some balls to it but isn't urinous or cloying, here's your answer.

Buddy97's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Michael for Men by Michael Kors

As the powerhouse guru, Shamu1, has indicated, this is a surprsing one, more attuned with the 70s and 80s.

Sweet Boozy fruity tobacco, with a backdrop of suede and incense, it ranks as one of the most raw and powerful frags of recent times, a brave move to take in the acquatic era of 2001. In ways, it is reminiscent of a much fruitier and sweeter Quorum, indeed, at times, that sweetness can be overpowering for me - I could not see how this could be worn in hot weather as it is quite cloying.

That said, I like Michael, it's far more intriguing than other modern scents, sillage and longevity are excellent. It also has to my mind, a superb, somehow reassuring bottle-strong, bold and heavy like a crystal whiskey tumbler.

karisuma's avatar

Lanvin L'Homme by Lanvin

Not my thing. I rarely use the words "repulsive" and "disgusting" to describe a fragrance; this one comes close. I would run away from anyone who smells like this.

Interestingly, this is how I imagine a "blue" fragrance would smell like, which is why I'm not a fan of that color.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Souk by Essentially Me

*Notes of citrus, herbs, spices, rose maroc, orris, jasmine, neroli, sandalwood, cedar, frankincense, opoponax, precious woods

The marketing blurb compares it to scents encountered in Indian or Middle Eastern spice markets. For once, it wasn't just some marketing bullshit. SOUK is indeed a delightful symphony of citrus, dry herbs, roses, spices & resinous notes - scents that are reminiscent of Indian spice stalls, with an exotic vibe that recalls Xerjoff's Dhofar albeit with less sparkle. Diptyque's Eau Lente could even be its sweeter and louder cousin.

As a concept, SOUK has much to be admired. But as a wearable fragrance I'll have to give it a pass for now, at least until cooler weather prevails. High humidity & tropical climate simply brings out the 'masala effect' and I ended up smelling as though I'd just left Muthu's Curry house. But I shouldn't worry really - the fragrance structure fell apart within an hour leaving behind a soft, but not unpleasant 'aftertaste'.

Valerie's avatar

England England

Rose Absolue by Yves Rocher

I find this far too sweet . I have read reviews suggesting it compares to Une Rose ,well lucky person who smells it like that . It's like cheap candy to my nose.

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

Chypre by Essentially Me

Nice gourmand scent with lots of spice; yes the cumin is ever present from the top notes right through to the basenotes; very long lasting and made with good ingredients; I have really enjoyed it this one too...

Thanks very much...big thumbs up...!!!

SirScent's avatar

Michael for Men by Michael Kors

I read most of the previous posts before purchasing Michael for Men. I don't quite understand all the negative comments. After wearing this for a few days, I feel it is a wonderful fragrance. I agree it is best suited for Winter and Autumn but this evokes memories of Winter Holidays, Men in Cashmere Jackets and Hot Buttered Rum. In fact, I get hot buttered rum all through the drydown. It is rich and boozy but for the life of me, I do not get any chemical feel as described by others and that's a good thing. Yes, the scent is shorter lived than I would like but I'll take that imperfection since the frag is so nice.
    This is will be a Winter favorite along with Tuscany.

Persolaise's avatar

J'Adore L'Or by Christian Dior

Over the course of the next few years, Dior may well release many more J'Adore flankers, which could invalidate what I'm about to type, but as things stand today, this latest version is the most classical of the range. As you'd expect, the heart still displays the familiar jasmine-rose-ylang accord, but the top surprises you with a burst of aldehydes - akin to hundreds of champagne bubbles bursting under your nose - whereas the base is composed of an almost-too-sweet, powdery vanilla. My favourite of the collection is still L'Absolu, but this new Chanel-meets-Guerlain hybrid is pretty charming too.

26th October, 2010 (Last Edited: 27th October, 2010)

Marshmellow's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

Insipid
    Dull
    Boring

I wouldn't say it's a terrible or bad fragrance, I think it is very well-made. But it just doesn't cut it as something distinct or worthy enough for a purchase from me. I would say Bleu de Chanel is a disappointment.

Little progression on my skin, all I get is a sharp aqua spicy citrus with a hint of wood, very anti-climatic. Very versatile however and it works well in its own bubble. It will give Bvlgari Aqua and it's classification segment some competition.

It is not distinct. I have a sample vial but that's all I am going to have.

Brawnyman's avatar

Chrome by Azzaro

I had read where Chrome was ranked among the top of the most complimented colognes available. I had never tried it before so I gave it a chance one day. I wore it for two days in a row and I recieved more compliments from women in those two days than I had recieved from anything i have worn to this point, which includes, Code, Burberry, Obsession, D&G, Allure, and many many other of the more prominent fragrances. A lady running a store that Iwas in asked me what i was wearing. She said that when i was in there the day before she could smell me for several minutes after I had left and loved it. Last a long time, and projects very well. Great scent. Definite permanent addition to my arsenal.

Weimar27's avatar

Hervé Léger by Hervé Léger

It opens crisp and fruity then changes to
    an amber musk with a hint of ginger nuances and vanilla can be cloying at times thinking to myself should i have more to say about this scent? it does turn
    gourmand foody candy like mentality with
    i also detect Black Licorice that is missing in the scent cards but i do smell
    licorice, second when i first tried this
    i thought it smelled average fruity run of the mill scent these are one of the perfumes that has to grow on you over time it did'nt win me over at that insistent may or maybe not that i will
    come to love this only time and situation will tell.

sierra 18's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

Canali Style by Canali

Soft, but distinctive leather start and middle, with a morph into a very light musk dry down. Not particularly complex or startling. I bought my 100ml for $20, so there's no complaint here.

PremierT's avatar

Pure Poison by Christian Dior

Its first impression is very bright and easy to wear without smelling generic or cheap. I get an immediate floral warmth, there's considerable sweetness in there as well but it doesn't at all smell like candy. The longer it stays on my skin the more the white floral develops but its either too well blended or too subtle for me to identify a particular flower. The sweet dies down fairly quickly but the floral something that appears on the first spray never fades. I don't notice much development of the scent but its beautiful and lasts for 4-6 hrs after a light application.

Its a perfect warm weather daily scent - it has some personality and the floral is very well done without that annoying 'girly bouquet' scent that I hate. Truthfully I don't know that this makes for a good 'Poison' but its a great scent anyway. It always gets compliments.

hedonist222's avatar

Comme des Garçons 2 by Comme des Garçons

I gave it 1 star because of the unique ink scent.

I usually give stars to top rated perfumes.

So only about 5 will get 5 stars, maybe up to 10 will get 4 stars. Ill give 20 perfumes 3 stars and so on. I was not crazy about 2 and was not even going to rate it any stars but the ink and the dry down of the ink is amazing. It earns one star IMO

annabolina's avatar

Velvet Flowers by Montale

Notes: peach blossom, rose, jasmin, ylang-ylang, saffron, fruits(?), sandalwood, musk

Despite this scent is not one of those 'heavy-on-the-oud' Montale fragrances, V.F. starts with the recognizable opulent, complex, right-in-to-your-face aroma, that I like soooo much, and which is hardly tolerated by my ambience.
    The main part belongs to the Jasmine . But this jasmine is sweet, and creamy , and in no time it loses the sharp, stinging side and becomes enthralling, pampering, fruity and creamy.
    Velvet Flowers is one of those extra-hyperfeminine scents, which leads you to the time when women were women and men were men. No compromise . This scent is for grownup ladies.

zuazua00's avatar

Hong Kong Hong Kong

Polo by Ralph Lauren

a 'friend' of mine said that he received this one as a gift, so i use to trade the parfums i get bored of, then i thought.. well, it's POLO, one of the most popular ones, i will give him my Lacoste and surprise, it smells like an 70 yrs old man that works in a dusty library... i hated the lacoste (the gray one) but this one deserves the prize.. it sucks.. thumbs down

Grottola's avatar

I am King by Sean John

Puff Daddy WOULD make an egotistical fruit juice cologne. Hey, it's the new trend in men's fragrances....

26th October, 2010 (Last Edited: 04th January, 2011)

Buddy97's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Zirh Ikon by Zirh

Acquired this recently at knockoff price. I like it, it's a clean, soft, smoky, woody incense, similar to Gucci Envy and Carven Homme. Perhpas nothing spectacular or overly memorable, but a damn fine scent in its own right, with decent sillage and longevity.

26th October, 2010 (Last Edited: 12th June, 2011)

P-Natra's avatar

Germany Germany

Aventus by Creed

How should I begin this…
    First of all, Aventus is one of the best Creeds I ever smelled!
    I can say or write this fragrance suits to everything and anytime!
    It is a nice modern fragrance for men.
    I would describe it as a fruity - light herb fragrance. It is not heavy or strong!

It starts of with a blast of italian bergamot, french apples and light sweet pineapple.
    These topnotes are so delicious, fresh and fruity (also light herb)!
    Together with the dry birch and roses makes it so fine and smooth.
    I love the middlenotes of this fragrance. Every note plays so fine together…it goes back and forth with all of these notes.

The basenote with Musk, the oak moss and vanilla is very light in the backround…just to keep the top and middlenotes a live (again, very smooth and nice combined)…the basenote is not disturbing or heavy! I was afraid it would be a strong fragrance, but it is not! It is perfect…it is a masterpiece! This one deserves an award, without a doubt!

1 or 2 sprays holds the whole day…longtivity is great…especially on clothes 

The design of the bottle is fantastic. A must have for Creed Lovers.

27th October, 2010