Fragrance Reviews from October 2010

odysseusm's avatar

Fleurs de Bois by Miller Harris

Galbanum – rose – oud. That’s the basic structure of this scent, and if you like those things you’ll enjoy it. The scent starts with the typical dusky-green notes of galbanum. There is a dry, aromatic character at this point. Florals (especially rose) appear and give a lovely aura. Very quickly oud and myrrh come on stage, and the scent becomes bright and medicinal. For the brief period as the rose transitions into the oud, the scent reminds me of Czech & Speake’s Dark Rose or No. 88. Oud dominates for the remainder of the scent’s life. I wish the green notes lasted longer: to my mind this is not really a green scent overall.

rickbr's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Opus II by Amouage

I was prepared to love Opus II, expecting a full spicy, opulent fragrance.
    Opus II seems weak and uninspired for me. It follows the same line of Amouage Reflection Man, the idea of doing something mainstream with quality materials, trying to justify the high price in this way.
    But it didn`t convinced me. I thought that they tried to do something that would easier to please, but in this process the scent lost personality.
    It seems like a cross of solo loewe with pinches of Armani Prive Ambre Soie and washed base of Terre d'Hermes.
    The opening has the same spicy, aromatic aura of solo loewe after solo loewe develops on skin. The pepper is spicy, but never gets at the front of the fragrance, like pepper fragrances as Piper Nigrum or Armani Prive Bois d`Encens. It`s a pepper combined with the sharp, aromatic aroma of lavender, the bitterness of wormwood somethins spicy that seems like a cardamom touch. I cannot see any relathionship with Rive Gauche, wich has a dark, fougere aura dominated by cloves and dark woody aromas. Opus II is too shy to go on that direction; when you think the fragrance will take of and raise it`s voice and give you a interesting spicy-aromatic aroma, the scent disappears, go soft. The pepper-lavender aroma stays for a while, and then gives space for what it feels some moments like a homage to the beautiful cinnamon that Christine Nagel used in her Ambre Soie for Armani. But the same problem that happens to the opening happens to the heart too, the cinnamon never goes completely on focus, and seem more like a ghost of an interesting cinnamonic fragrance than an interesting one. The amber seems to start appearing at this point for me, and if there`s is any jasmine and rose here, it`s completely hidden for me.
    When it gets to the base, what i got it`s a soft, subtle, patchouli and musk base, that makes me think of terre d`hermes base, with some incense added.
    Opus II was a big disappointment for me. I don`t see any creativity here, although i see the quality. It lacks the luxe touch, the strenght, the longlasting aroma of other Amouage Scents. I wouldn`t waist 300 dollars on what could have been priced 100 dollars at most.

rickbr's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Opus III by Amouage

After wearing it on skin, i think that while i can see how great this one is, it doesn't attract me. Opus III seems like the next generation of the floral oriental fragrances from the past. It's the kind of fragrance that you expect Chanel/Guerlain/Jean Patou to be launching, satisfying their more mature clientele. I don't say it smell old, but it smell sophisticade, something that a woman or a man at thirty would wear.

Opus III opens at skin very exotic. I can see what causes the caotic impression, it's really the ylang-ylang note. Only recently i've discovered that the essential oil of this flower has some aspects in common with tuberose. Both have a strange aroma which is tied between a nail polish aroma and the smell of new tires. But while tuberose has an oily, camphoraceous aspect, ylang-ylang goes on a frutier direction and has a slightly banana note. The opus III seems to have high doses of ylang-ylang, which is the first aroma that comes in focus to me when i sprayed the fragrance. At first, i got the nail polish aroma which lasted less than one minute on skin, giving space for the fruity and tire aroma of ylang. The bush aroma is missing for me, but the nutmeg is noticeable and it's the first spice that balances the ylang-ylang aroma. The ylang-ylang always makes me think of Jean Patou fragrances. It's a smell that you find in their elegant florals, like Sira des Indes and Joy, but while Jean Patou focus more on the sensual, slighlty animalic aspects of this note, Opus III doesn't trim anything of this complex note.

When this fragrance starts to develop, what i get is a powdery, resinous and spicy aroma. It's manly focused on carnation and violet to me, with jasmine and orange flower giving support to the accord at the background. This phase makes me think of Vol de Nuit, but it's less powdery than Vol de Nuit and it doesn't have the green, bitter aroma of the galbanum note that Vol de Nuit has. But it's the same vibe, powdery carnation and violet aroma, with some hints of jasmine and orange flower. I suppose that these two flowers contribute to the slightly indolic aroma, which was lacking on my skin but it's normal in fragrances that use these two flowers.

The base is the moment where it seems like a Chanel feminine from the past. I get the soft ambery aspects of ambrette, the woody, cream aroma of sandalwood, something slightly dry and woody, maybe from cedar i believe, and the smoky side of benzoin.
    It's a departure from fragrances of Amouage, because it smells completely eastern, and like a homage to the great classical florals of the past.

I have never smelled a broom, so maybe this aroma is blended to the overall scent. Considering that this collection works like a library of classics, they did an awesome job mixing different facets of great fragrances like L'Heure Bleue and Vol de Nuit. You can smell the homage, but it doesn't seem like a plagiarism of these scents, it's like they capture the texture, the impression of some facets of these fragrances and create something that it's unique, but classic at the same time.

I have also noticed, after some hours and after writting my review here, that the base has a warm, christmas aroma of sandalwood and ambrette seed, which seems liked both to Samsara, Guet Apens and slightly reminiscent of Bois des Iles rich and sensual sandalwood base.

What intrigues me is that to me it seems like a feminine fragrance. My mom found that on me it smells like a flower fragrance for men. So i believe this is a truly unissex fragrance, which explore notes from both sides proudly. It may not be something i'd wear, but it's something i'd like to smell on someone.

Sugandaraja's avatar

Rose Absolue by Annick Goutal

A weak, one-note, overly sudsy rosewater fragrance. I simply do not understand the love for this - not only is it bad, it's terribly overpriced for what it delivers.

yolanchris's avatar

Guyana Guyana

Curve Chill for Men by Liz Claiborne

I smelled this fragrance on a guy I was meeting and wondered what was that he was wearing. It smelled really sophisticated to me and I tought it must be expensive stuff. Being a guy I did not wanted to ask what its was but when he offered me a lift in his car there it was in the slot between the driver's seat and passenger seat. I tilted the bottle to get the name. then I went to the store to sniff one it confirmed and I bought me a bottle. I love this fragrance too bad it dosent linger for too long.

HDS1963's avatar

Sandalwood by Crabtree & Evelyn

I can honestly say this is one of the worst Sandalwoods I have ever encountered.

After wearing it for a few hours and it utterly refusing to die, despite me attempting one washing off of it, I felt faintly nauseous.

I find this cloyingly soapy and sweet to the point of being able to rot teeth.

It has a dry synthetic quality to it amongst the sweetness which I find off-putting.

There are much better Sandalwoods out there which have a far more enjoyable ride, TOBS Sandalwood Cologne and of course Trumpers, which are also from that barber shop tradition, would be two that spring to mind.

I would not recommend this and don't ever want to wear it again. A definite thumbs down.

HDS1963's avatar

Sienna by Crabtree & Evelyn

Really like this one, will be going FB on it.

Slightly sweet and spicy leather fragrance which is a ridiculous steal at the price point. I smelled this first and let it dry down before going back to see how much it was.

It smells much MUCH more expensive than it actually costs and would suit anyone looking for a fairly powerful fragrance which can be worn in formal or smart casual situations very comfortably.

Recommended.

TWB's avatar

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

This review is for Chanel for Men cologne, NOT the reformulation which Chanel denies happened in the late 80's.....and morphed into the current Chanel Pour Monsieur. The original fragrance created by Henri Robert is my desert island fragrance....This is the very first fragrance that I ever purchased, and it is STILL my favorite! It is a little harder to find in the original formulation, but not impossible on Ebay. The easiest way to tell the difference, is to observe the juice itself. In the original fragrance it is a darker color not the lighter colored reformulation. Anything labeled Chanel for Men/ Cologne IS the original formula. To my nose the main difference is in the heart of the fragrance....The initial top notes are unchanged, but in the original fragrance the middle note of cardamom is far more predominate and as the fragrance unfolds it slowly envelops you in a rich and warm glow of spice. I also feel that the base notes in the reformulation of cedarwood and oakmoss are downplayed and the vetiver note is given more prominence. As a matter of fact, I'm not even certain that vetiver was a base note in the original....I seem to recall seeing a book which listed top/middle/base notes for most fragrances and I don't recall vetiver listed in the base notes of Chanel for Men!
    At any rate CPM is a pale comparison to the original. I've bought up several large bottles which should keep me stocked for a LONG time...I am told that in Europe the formula has remained unchanged...Perhaps some day I will make it to Paris to find out!
    My thumbs up is most assuredly for the original NOT the reformulation!

Redbeard's avatar

Chrome by Azzaro

A metallic aquatic as the name implies; starts out a bit like certain men's body washes, but with more of the Eternity/Adidas Moves type apple component. There are some florals in the top that make it interesting enough to stand out initially. The fruit starts to become a bit too harsh and candy-like during the middle, and around this point I realize that the blend is sweeter than it really should be. By the end, it's so harsh and synthetic that I just want it to be over with. Still, a good choice if you want something that fits in with the current trend.

vintage*red's avatar

Jean-Louis Scherrer by Jean-Louis Scherrer

This fragrance is Green_Green_Green, with leather lurking in the background. It is not for the faint (or young) of heart. It is complicated & sophistocated. The opening is a shocking dose of aldehydes & greens. Next comes a leathery rose, gardenia & tuberose accord followed by a green oakmoss, civet, vetivier & cedar drydown. Vanilla & musk also are listed in the bottom notes, but I cannot detect softness anywhere in this unrelenting fragrance. Visions of Joan Crawford with a whip flood my thoughts. I'm glad that I found a bottle on Ebay, because perfume like this no longer can be made. I am grateful for the opportunity to own Scherrer and will treasure my "little dose of pure poison".

mrclmind's avatar

Epic Man by Amouage

Epic starts out as a rather dry, herbal fougere; but within moments the opening dry herbal element begins to be subdued in favor of the richness of frankincense, myrrh and spice. The presence of oud and the leather/animalic base becomes most prominent within about an hour and lasts for the better part of 10 hours on my skin. The is one of the more "polite" oud scents on the market. The oud is obvious but not overbearing, being so beautifully blended with the animalic warmth and leather components of the base notes. The spices and fruits that barely are perceptible at the opening take a seat with the rest of the drydown which lends a type of sweetness that is neither cloying or ubiquitous. I appreciate and enjoy smelling most of what Amouage releases, but there are only a few of their creations that I find to be actually wearable for myself. Epic is definitely one of those scents. It is elegant, opulent and very wearable.

shamu1's avatar

Old Spice Pure Sport by Procter & Gamble

Even the biggest niche fragrance snob, if he's honest with himself, must admit that, every once in a while, it's nice to slap on a simple, clean, masculine smelling "sports fragrance". It's okay, it doesn't mean you're less sophisticated or that you have trashy taste. Not every day needs to be a Montale day.

The problem is, do you really want to pay $35 for a bottle of a generic, though nice smelling, cologne? That's where Old Spice Pure Sport comes in. It's blue, it's fresh, it's clean, it's sporty, and it doesn't have an ounce of originality. It's got that "lavender on steroids" smell that Luca Turin describes in his books, along with a semi-aquatic smell to it.

But you know what? It smells pretty damn good! This isn't even my style at all, but once in a while I like to throw this on. When I'm in that mood, it makes me feel good. What more do I need to say? And at only $6 for a 6 ounce bottle, you can't go wrong with this.

Take a break from Amouage Oudh El-Attar XXVIIXVLLXIV Special Edition 2007 for once, and give Pure Sport a spin. It's okay to admit you like it.

MY RATING: 7/10

Mar Azul's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

Brit for Men by Burberry

A smooth and warm oriental, a nutmeg enhanced with mandarins which later turns to raw cocoa on me. Perfect when sharing a bed with a lover. Yet it's just everywhere, which in this case makes me avoid it. Well, that's all.

belleotero's avatar

Zadig by Emilio Pucci

Yum. Warm, rich and gorgeous. Opening blast very reminiscent of AG Grand Amour, but drydown goes down another path toward Shalimar. An hour in, I get mainly honeyed jasmine with a non-gourmand vanilla-dominated underlay, animalic as others have said, which reminds me of PG Felanilla.

The Perfumed Court says:
    Top Notes: Aldehydes, Bergamot, orange, peach, coriander
    Heart Notes: Clove, rose , honey, Jasmine, orris, ylang ylang
    Base notes: Vetiver, benzoin, Patchouli, cinnamon, vanilla, tolu, Tibetan musk, & amber.

belleotero's avatar

Red Roses by Yardley

Fades toward powder very fast, but opens as a true, slightly dark rose scent, very very pretty. Worth picking up if it's cheap, because really lovely, but longevity is more or less absent, at least in the case of my vintage cologne. My other favourite rose soliflore, Santa Maria Novella, is a similar but even fresher rose, and lasts longer.

blackened's avatar

Spain Spain

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

In short: the extraordinary elegance of a clean and spicy lemon with a wild background. A chypre five stars. It was released in 1955 and still seems avant-garde.

blackened's avatar

Spain Spain

Dune pour Homme by Christian Dior

A delightful soapy and floral. It is clean, fresh and at the same time sweet and warm. Its Oceanic and vegetables tonalities are presented on a vanilla base without comparison with another fragrance market.
    Its enormous longevity and very good sillage are excellent data being a relatively fresh and daytime fragrance.

RicardVonLowen's avatar

Beyond Paradise for Men by Estée Lauder

I purchased this after reading Luca Turin's review as one of the top men's fragrances. It did not blow me away and was a little disappointed. Smells like a generic aquatic/water fragrance with a bit of a twist. Not the longest lasting either. Alright in a pinch. Glad I got the 1/4 ounce bottle.

Persolaise's avatar

Orange Blossom by Gorilla Perfume

If you've ever smelled orange flower absolute, you may well have been taken aback by its distinctly non-floral undertone: pungent and unabashedly animalic, it tends to conjure images of carnal couplings in locked bedrooms rather than innocent trysts in pretty orchards. Thankfully, this incredible raw material's adult side is allowed to take pride of place in Orange Blossom, a headspinning mix of innocence and seductiveness. Balanced at one end by the near-medicinal shrillness of ylang-ylang and, at the other, by the sweetness of beeswax, it's a deceptively simple fragrance that smiles like an angel and winks like a very dangerous stranger.

Persolaise's avatar

The Smell of Freedom by Gorilla Perfume

On a basic level, The Smell Of Freedom operates like a jasmine-infused cologne: the freshness of neroli and lemongrass combine with white blossoms to produce the sort of soothing effect many of us would associate with bottles of 4711. However, there is much more on offer to the attentive wearer. Powdery elegance appears in the form of orris, whilst a combination of woods (including, according to the official ingredients, a touch of oud) provides an infusion of warmth. The result is a beguiling brew that veers between wispy lightness and almost unbearable bleakness, very much like liberty itself.

informer_at's avatar

Austria Austria

Altamir by Ted Lapidus

Great juice, no question. But I can smell 33% TL Pour Lui, 33% TL Black Soul, 33% TL pour Homme in it. The rest of 1% is new stuff. Longlasting, good sillage.

Bryann9182's avatar

Love and Luck for Men by Ed Hardy [Christian Audigier]

Don't let the Ed Hardy name fool you

Scent - A, excellent scent. Ladies love it and so do I =P
    Projection - C+, pretty decent projection but nothing spectacular
    Versatility - B+, can be worn year round, but wont last too long in cold weather
    Longevity - C, 4-6 hours on me....decent
    Uniqueness - C, nothing extraordinarily unique. smells pretty similar to SJ Unforgivable but not nearly as sharp

Pamplemousse's avatar

Un Bois Vanille by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Okay, I just bought a 5ml decant of Daim Blond after being impressed with a card sample (not bloody cheap at $16 - four times the cost of Heritage!). I love this stuff. I like feminine-leaning scents. So I figure I'll probably like other Serge Lutens stuff, right?

So, I'm at House of Fraser in Cheltenham, a rare one (perhaps) with an SL stand. Although, weirdly, they only seem to display the really feminine scents. I recognise Bois Vanille, squirt some on a paper tongue, and sniff.

I'm immediately confused. What IS this stuff? Some kind of sick JOKE? It doesn't smell of vanilla to me. All I smell is sickly, oversweet toffee. And cheap toffee, at that. You know the kind you get at souvenir shops on holiday? All the same, wherever you go, individually wrapped and in a bag printed with "Greetings from Portsmouth". Horrible, cheap, tacky (I'm sniffing it now..) - urggh. I can smell something slightly finer and subtle in there, but I can't tell what it is. It's like sniffing one of those woody acorn car fresheners that girls like, sticking it right up to your nose and sucking in deep.

And unisex? No disrespect, but if one of my friends wore this, I'd take him aside and treat him gently, as if, say, he were wearing Speedos at the seaside. No, my friend. No.

Seriously though, I'm really surprised at the positive reviews (though I probably have a lot to learn). This is not Champion the Wonder Horse. It's a one-trick pony.

6of1's avatar

Salvador by Salvador Dali

Balanced and dignified -- a gentleman's scent of some excellence. Superbly blended. Slightly animalic in the opening, but nothing to offend. Not sweet, but certainly not dry. Very sadly discontinued -- this is easily one of the best compositions the house has produced.

PremierT's avatar

Kingdom by Alexander McQueen

I was swanning about in a department store when I first smelled Kingdom - and to my 17 year old self it smelled of absolute sophistication, womanly, and sexy. Sadly, everyone else I encountered thought the stuff was positively rank and I stopped wearing it. I came across the gorgeous (though annoying and impractical) bottle in a box of old things recently and decided to try it again. It was love all over again.

There's nothing shy or cute about Kingdom. Immediately after it's sprayed there's a royal blast of sparking intense citrus and cumin that is not for the faint of heart. After a minute or two I notice an additional floral note in the background that takes some of the shock value out of the top notes. As Kingdom begins to settle down, that sparkling citrus thing completely dies away from me but the cumin takes over and its incredibly dark and sensual and lasts for several hours. In its dying phases Kingdom gets warm and much more floral, in a way that is enchantingly subtle and a complete surprise after its bad-ass beginnings.

I consider Kingdom to be the perfect scent allegory for a great night out - it starts big and intoxicating, gets incredibly sexy and finally drifts off to a beautiful floral with enough personality to linger on the sheets in the morning.

I understand where the complaints of a body odour scent might come from, but for me Kingdom is much too cold a scent for that. Cumin aside, something in the mix keeps Kingdom slightly sweet and too perfect smelling to be dirty or sweaty. I wouldn't call Kingdom sophisticated any longer but it's definitely adult and quite a statement fragrance. I'm glad I didn't throw out my bottle and am finally able to truly appreciate it.

drgts's avatar

India India

Blue Seduction for Men by Antonio Banderas

I shall not say that this is a complete rip off, but it would be safe to say that the 'inspiration' behind Blue Seduction's creation was/is definitely Versace Man Eau Fraiche. I have both so I can vouch for it. Versace's smells more sophisticated but I may be biased because I paid more for it!

Thumbs Up because it is cheap and you can fool yourself (and possibly a few non-basenoters) into thinking that you are wearing the premium Eau Fraiche!

Marcie's avatar

Angélique Encens by Creed

Along with Selection Verte, this is one of the most beautiful perfumes I have ever smelled in my life. Longevity and sillage are both good and I too can't help but keep smelling my wrist when I wear this. I hope Creed will still have it in their Paris boutique when my children get old enough to really appreciate visiting Europe.

Vullishoop's avatar

Disney Princess Snow White by Disney

A hidden gem! Equal if not better to anything by Creed.

ViViD's avatar

Japan Japan

Hummer by Hummer

This is ok, I sometimes like it, but I have many fragrances I like more. Its a very sporty scent...and im not very sporty. I also sneeze a lot while wearing this. I have gotten some negative comments on this, so I tend not to use it much. I have had this cologne in my collection for about 2 or 3 years, the same bottle, and its not even used up yet because I just don't wear it often. Honestly its not a bad scent overall, but I like other fragrances better.

derekhazelfjmax's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 4 Cologne: Vettiveru by Comme des Garçons

Discovered by accident in London. One spray and I was hooked after sampling. Went back for it and it was sold out. I am glad I hunted it out. It is super long lasting and comes and goes and you keep catching the scent. Not too earthy and the citrus scent combined with cedar is good. I didnt think it was dry - I thought it had an oily smell thay I liked. Over do it and get carried away with the spraying and I could still smell it after washing mt shirt. Truely lovely and well priced.