Fragrance Reviews from October 2010

Neil1's avatar

Ébène by Pierre Balmain

I have just purchased a bottle of Ebene for a chemist in Portugal , very hard to find indeed ! It was always my favourite scent and I used it everyday , sad to say this one will have to last! For me this is my holy Grail of scent, my olfactory discription of who I am or maybe who I'd like to think I am. Either way this fragrance is better than all the creeds put together and topped of with any serge lutens aaaaahhhh

27 October, 2010

blackened's avatar

Higher by Christian Dior

Higher by Dior? I like it , energetic opening tending to lemon and pear with a touch of sexy spices , in the middle phase becomes an elegant and charming floral :unmistakable signature of Dior house.
    It has a certain air to eau de rochas man but the one from Dior is more floral in its stele.
    It´s a pity its poor longevity because immediately stay close to skin.
    If only it would project more...

27 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 25 November, 2011)

rikafa's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

I can not agree with all the negatives reviews about this scent.
    Nauseanting (???). Not for me, my co-workers or my girlfriend.
    Smells like pencil shavings(??). Maybe a little, but this comparison is not a problem for me, again.
    This a true wood / smoky scent. Very elegant and mature.
    Rather conservative and intelectual.
    Not my favorite, but I think Gucci PH is a little jewel in my collection.

27 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 13 February, 2014)

zenman7's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Memoir Man by Amouage

The discovery of Memoir Man coincided with my move to live in Hong Kong. "Quite an inappropriate place" one could say to encounter this rarefied, intellectual, spiritual blend of memory and lost laughter... but then take two steps back... Hong Kong is the home of Christopher Chong, man behind the running and direction of Amouage no?
    Yes it is.
    And I encountered it at the exclusive launch in his home city of both the Memoirs.
    It was the Man that caught my immediate attention. The Woman was too loud, too passionate, too self-obsessed in a noisy busy city of seven million.

Memoir Man captured my mind and heart.
    Because it spoke in such reserved tones, with such equilibrium and poise.
    It was stunningly in tune with my age and the act of looking back every now and then even as I move forward.
    There is an overarching air of regret to the fragrance but there is no remorse.
    Intoxication without excess. Zero self-indulgence.
    A faint but unforgettable melody hangs in the air, a tune transfixed by the wind, and it's a dry rasping wind as if from the desert not the sea.
    But the melody isn't really victim to time, more a dark sprite preserved in a smoky ash-grey bottle of alcohol.
    It is alive - we are constantly teased by the light and fragrance of its embers glowing several hours after the fire but no more. That's what really got to me. The repetition of the suggestion. And the lack of a sumptuousness that I had come to associate Amouage with. That makes it special.
    It is a ghostly fragrance... it stands aside and doesn't intrude but it is always there.
    And it never stops... in the echoes that reverberate between the frankincense and the musk, the wormwood and the worn out moss, between the green guiac wood and the faint but detectable flowers there are sutble tones: Is that rose and lavender morphing into a Latakia tobacco? Is that cedar or sandalwood glowing behind the frankincense?
    I am not bored by this at all.... There is nothing morbid about age or aging here. Remembering is a powerful act here. An intellectual courage.
    It is classy, it lasts forever on my skin and clothes. It suits me.
    There is something intellectual in this perfume...held together by maturity.
    Madness and method all at once.
    Tenacious selective and dry.
    A dry wind up to no good...
    I am a fan.

rickbr's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Opus I by Amouage

Opus I is not chypre for me. It`s more like a oriental floral i think. It seems like a cross of Kingdom, Dune, Dolce & Gabbana Pour Femme and the original giorgio. They kind of condensed some aspects of each composition and created a huge, spicy floral. There`s something that smells very cummin on me on this one, which reminds me of an indian store. It`s a cummin-curry accord, in the way of Kingdom, but with a more pronounced rose a la Dune, a soapy, carnal rose. The other flowers seems to be more in the background for me, and there`s a kind of fruity-flower accord that starts on the top notes and seems to goes and disappears. It`s kind of the combination of plum, tuberose and ylang-ylang, camphoraceous, fruity, indolic and loud. It seems like the flower aromas of Giorgio and the original dolce & gabbana, but less loud and without the aldeihidic aspect.

Cocktail by Jean Patou

I have a vintage sample, so some notes may have deteriorated over time. This is an odd floral chypre, of the old school. It may have a fruity tone in it, but not the modern fruit shampoo...more a riotous bold fruit note snaking around in a garden of sharp astringent flowers. No one has mentioned it, but I also detect rose. A sharp green glassy rose. I don't want to be too judgmental of this sample, but it's hard to imagine who this scent would fit. It's a mite sharp and angular for either day or night. It needs to relax and have a cocktail!

L'Heure Attendue by Jean Patou

I have a vintage sample, so can't know what has deteriorated. I wouldn't say this is old-school. It's oddly modern in the sense of Indian incense oil scent you might find. It opens with aldehydes (in my case pretty badly turned) and within moments a bouquet of florals. I guess lilac and ylang ylang, but maybe only because those notes have been suggested. And then I can detect the attempt at creamy woods, but it is in my case overshadowed by the base. Very much like Indian incense.

Les Nombres d'Or - Cuir by Mona di Orio

I'm a fan of leather perfumes, but I do not warm up to this. It's bold and strong..which I like. But, it has an aggressive smoky meat note that is unappetizing..and not very "perfumey" . It lies just above an aggressive smokey wood note which gives me an idea of where the scent could have been going. I think it lacks balance...its all aggression with no tender surprise. It's not really leather either.

Swanky's avatar

Chevalier d'Orsay by D'Orsay

Chevalier begins with a quintessential citrus accord familiar from 4711 to YSL Pour Homme and Sanborn's. Then the lavender moves into place, and that's pretty much what I get from the next few hours. It's a nice, clean scent but not as special as I had hoped.

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

Chant D’Arômes by Guerlain

No one should ever write a review of Chant d'Aromes until they've smelled the vintage extrait, even if it means you have to order a few drops from the Perfumed Court. I say this because I acquired a bottle of vintage CdA EDC more than a year ago. I splashed it on, but wasn't impressed as it was just mildly interesting and really didn't last long enough to develop in any kind of way that would allow me to grasp the notes in order to to undrestand the scent. Later I nabbed a 7.5 ml decant of the new EDT thinking that it may be a little stronger and last a little longer. Same dissappointing results. I had just about given up on CdA and questioned why those vintage bottles of the extrait that occasionally show up on Ebay were going for astronomical prices. Then I ordered a batch of vintage Guerlain samplers from the Perfumed Court and a 1/4 ml sample of CdA pure parfum was among them. I put it on this morning and was floored by how beautiful, meaty and rich the parfum is compared to the cologne and EDT. Why does Guerlain do this when it comes to their EDT's? Many times it's as if their parfums and EDT's are two different scents altogether. It's like they remove the rich basenotes, leave the the top and middle notes and say "Here...boottle this as the EDT".

Chant d'Aromes extrait starts off with the heavy richness of ripe fruits with underlying floral notes, but it doesn't take long before notes of vetiver and thick oakmoss join in. The drydown os a dry mossy sort of sandalwood/musk. I'm smitten and now I'm sitting here with plenty of Chant d'aromes EDC and EDT needing more...I guess I'll start hunting one of those vintage bottles of the extrait on Ebay...(long sigh here).

mysolegia's avatar

Portugal Portugal

French Cancan by Caron

There is only one aspect of this scent that keeps me from giving it a thumbs down and that is somewhere in the mid-notes there is a fizzy, sparkly champagne-like quality to it that I enjoy. That fizz reminds me of my Caron favourite Bellodgia but with more oranges and less cream. What I get from time to time with this scent is a stale musty odor and urine whiff combined-----that puts me off.

Nezdelupe's avatar

Tabac by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo

I was very surprised to read JBHoren’s review, especially his experience of it as being like newly mown grass. There is almost nothing green in this for me. My experience of Tabac is very much in tune with the other reviews so far; I too have fallen under the spell of this warm, heady fragrance. It is so complex and well blended that I’m not sure which elements are tobacco and which are other things entirely. As others have already done a fine job describing things, I’ll add only some brief comments. For me, the fragrance is in part a cross between a Padron maduro anniversario cigar - dark, rich, sweet (but not overly sweet), fermented or pressure-cured tobacco, with accents of cocoa and hazelnut - and “Turkish” tobacco - sun cured leaf from N. Africa, Turkey or Greece, with spice and a little dryness/light hay-ness. There are also hints of dried fruit (prunes mostly, I think), tea (or is it bergamot orange?), something rose-moss like and even the faintest, merest whisper of butter cooked mushrooms. (I have never had labdanum pointed out to me as a smell but wonder if the earthiness of the rose/moss/mushroom is labdanum?) With the more noticeable but still beautifully balanced softness of tonka and vanilla, I’m in heaven. This will definitely be a regular frag for me.

Slightly worried about what would happen if he fell under a bus (does he have his recipes written down - does he have an apprentice?!) and I can’t wait to try some of his other fragrances.

Redbeard's avatar

Geir by Geir Ness

Geir Ness is really unique: a crisp, effervescent cherry soap with grasses and herbs, and the slightest bit of vanilla. It's very sweet, but maintains its freshness surprisingly well and thus for me remains a summer scent, though fairly winter-compatible. The best analogy I can think of is a midsummer day high in the mountains, where the wind and the altitude prevent it from ever getting very hot. Like my old cheapo Coty Gravity, the florals are distinctively fizzy and polleny, but here they last into the base. In general, the scent changes very little but I don't think that's a problem.

But what's the association that always brings a smile to my face with Geir? It took a while for me to recognize it, but the box where I keep my collection, even while not holding a bottle of Geir, smells like Geir. Geir smells remarkably close to the average of all the scents I own. It's fresh and sweet, summer and winter at the same time.

iHeartGuerlain's avatar

Véga by Guerlain

In a recent move to explore and acquire some of Guerlain's classic fragrances I made a recent excursion to the Guerlain counter at my local luxury retailer. After trying many of the classic fragrances, I came home with Vega -- thrilled, happy and ecstatic. Vega is a bold and beautiful aldehyde, with stunning bergamot, cassia, ylang ylang, jasmine, sandalwood, amber, and vanilla shining through. But, in addition to being a gorgeous, head turning, fragrance, at the same time, it's demure, exquisite, and timeless. I can see the comparisons with Chanel No. 5; however, to me Vega is more refined. In the late dry down, it shares many characteristics with Vol du Nuit. It is a radiant fragrance and a sheer joy to wear. I do disagree with some reviews that attempt to pinpoint when and where to wear Vega. Although a very austere fragrance, I think Vega is perfect for many occasions (with some common sense and good taste, of course). It's formal and friendly and serious and fun. If you're looking to try some of the more classic (i.e. early 1900s) fragrances by Guerlain, do not overlook this one. And, by the way, I'm a guy and I don't hesitate for even one second to wear Vega. It is an aldehyde-floral-oriental fragrance that lends itself perfectly for unisex wear. Two thumbs up and 10 gold stars to a stunningly beautiful fragrance.

belleotero's avatar

Habanita by Molinard

Hm! This is highly unusual. Not very powdery on me at all, though there's something I would identify as dusty skin. Quite blended and smooth, not sweet, a bit distant or detached due to its faintly bitter edge (patchouli and tobacco? reminding me occasionally of black coffee) -- it seems like the opposite of gourmand to me, not mouthwatering.

The main thing that stands out is that it smells like nothing else. It's an entity unto itself. It seems neither masculine nor feminine ... it's just a scent that does not seem to reference the other scents in my vocabulary. So far, I don't quite LOVE it in the heady way I love, say, Cabochard, but I keep smelling it with total fascination.

I'm smelling a vintage parfum of (I think) the 70s or 80s.

belleotero's avatar

Rochas Femme (original) by Rochas

I'm uncertain just HOW vintage my little vintage bottle is ... no earlier than the 70's, for sure. I find this nice, but rather unexciting compared to other chypre loves. I don't get much green -- but lots of nice soft peach and peach skin, fruity in the classic rather than headache-inducing contemporary manner. A fairly gentle orange peel, intermittent soap. The fruit is long lasting & mostly pleasant, but sometimes blends with a sweet floral note in a way that reminds me of Tang drink crystals. (NOT overbearingly loudly or obviously, but that is the note.) Amber and musk dominate the underlayers for me, so it's quite smooth and round, rather subtle. It's warm and feminine, and distinctly calls to mind the generalized notion I had, during my 70s childhood, of 'what perfume smells like.' Perhaps that is why I find it just faintly generic -- or perhaps my body chemistry doesn't really do it justice. But I prefer something a bit more challenging in a chypre.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

I have delayed reviewing this long enough. Last week a local magazine was running a promotion and offered some free samples. Guess what? ACQUA DI GIO POUR HOMME was one of them! That's right, 14 years on and AdG is still featured in promotions and tie-ups! Is it any wonder that it's been at the top of the best-selling men's fragrances of the last decade?

Back to the scent review. Much has been written about the blend of synthetic notes in AdG. Yes, I agree they are generic and often found in many of the more contemporary designer sports fragrance releases. But what sets AdG apart from these also-rans is its immaculate blending and flawless balance. Applied judiciously, it projects rather smoothly and smells pleasantly clean and fresh. I'm not surprised if women actually love it.

Unfortunately there are many misguided boys who believe that bathing in this fragrance is a surefire way to make the ladies 'drop their panties'. Just last night one such idiot in office attire arrived late at the cinema and sat right behind me. I could smell him long before I actually saw him coming - he was reeking of this stuff! As it was already dark in the cinema, I have no idea if his odious cloud did drop anyone's undies. But it sure raised my hackles.

Michael for Men by Michael Kors

It has been noted by previous reviewers that Michael for Men is particularly suited for the autumn season, a point I can eagerly agree with. This fragrance really smells like the distilled essence of fall, the overall effect to me being of a strongly-spiced alcoholic cider bubbling away at the stove. Certainly a fragrance of strong character, but I do not find it blunt or overwhelming at all, as my skin seems to have the effect of taming powerhouse fragrances rather than amplifying them. In any case, something to relish in the cool weather months.

Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I believe that shamu1 has hit upon an important point in mentioning the exotic nature of this fragrance. The mystery and exoticism of the orient was, of course, the inspiration for the original Opium, and I believe that YSL has succeeded in capturing that feeling in the masculine counterpart. It really does bring a sense of wanderlust and the allure of far-away places. By all accounts this should be a fragrance that I love - it is sweet, spicy and warm in all the right places, something that should be right up my alley. The problem is that it's a little too spicy, as in, pepper spicy. This is not the first time that a strong peppery note has caused trouble for me. It just doesn't sit well on my skin. However, Opium is interesting and enjoyable enough for me to go back and sample occasionally. I want to take the trip, I'm just not sure I'm ready to buy the ticket.

Geir by Geir Ness

The Power of Norway! Now how could a good Norwegian-American like me not love a fragrance with a tagline like that? It may put images of viking warriors in your head, but that's not really what Geir is going for here. Think more along the lines of rugged mountain landscapes and deep fjords, the power of Norway's natural beauty. Though suitable for any season, i have to say that I find this is a superb winter scent, even though it doesn't have a lick of vanilla, spice, patchouli, or leather, those big warm notes that I usually look for in cold weather scents. It has a bracing quality that is amazing when combined with cold, clean winter air. Other houses should take note - this how you make a "clean" and "fresh" scent!

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

I often have a difficult relationship with scents intended to be worn in warm weather. The whole light citrus, flowers and herbs thing just usually fails to inspire much passion from me (with the occasional exception of course). I don't expect to be able to wear, say, Egoiste in 90 degree heat, but I usually need something just a bit more substantial no matter the temperature. Fortunately, Allure Edition Blanche provides a pretty darn good compromise, and I have very much enjoyed wearing it this past summer. The creamy lemon note is quite lovely, one of my favorites actually, and segues well into a subtle but satisfying powdery-vanilla base. The effect is something akin to a lemon meringue pie, a sweet summer treat that doesn't weigh you down.

olfactorium's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

go take a piece of wood slightly dried out and put fire to one end at a pointy corner bit of it and then swiftly blow the flame off so that only a thin silky thread of raising smoke remains. Wait a minute or two and the smell that piece of wood - that's a very close approximation of what this Gucci really is like. Now imagine that you've done this procedure to some woodchips of cedar,rosewood, birch, santal and put them all together - that would be the smell towards which the maker of this Gucci ,to my opinion, would want to reach. Smoky wood that would still comfort one's nose. One should rather wear it on some evening occasion.

olfactorium's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Narciso Rodriguez for Him by Narciso Rodriguez

That's it!!- the original scent for a man,not for some kind of efffeminated pseudo bi modern kinda guy. Very simple-patchouli,violet,maybe even some chocolate notes but mostly the "chocolaty" effect of patchouli,and some artificial ornaments (probably woody stuff like someone already mentioned) as those are ubiquitous in all of the nowdays products. The very fact that it doesnt smell so delusionally good is exactly so brilliant about it. Why should an adult male smell good like sweet and yummie kind of stuff?

Shifty Bat's avatar

Lolita Lempicka Fleur Défendue / Forbidden Flower by Lolita Lempicka

Fleur Defendue is a titan among the contestants vying for the title of 'favorite feminine perfume.' Upon application it is an immediate olfactory assault of artemisian licorice (Absinthe flower? Seriously?), sweet cherry and vanillic almond, along with some soft florals that, while they are not lilac, end up smelling quite like it anyway. The result is a monstrously powerful and unrelentingly sweet seductive dessert cocktail which performs constantly like it's turned up to eleven. An absolute masterpiece and probably the sexiest gourmand I've encountered.

Francop's avatar

Amber by Essentially Me

Beautiful masculine composition...thank you

The scent starts with zesty top notes that remind me of monsieur de Balmain on first application; the heart notes that follow include lavender and rose that remind me of Classique, another scent by Mr Lawless which is my favourite of the range along with Amber so far (have sampled 6 out of 10 of his fine fragrances). The base notes that settle this scent are very nicely blended; I can detect sandalwood, patchouli and incense.

My favourite scent of the range so far...big thumbs up to a wonderful scent...!!!

Francop's avatar

Kuan Yin by Essentially Me

Beautiful floral scent...but this time I am enchanted by the magical uplifting effect it has on me...

I can detect some beautiful fresh light citrus top notes followed by what must be osmanthus; now... this woody metallic note is sheer pleasure; a bit like the first time I smelled oud notes on a Bond no 9 scent...and then said to myself, this unusual note that stands out so prominently is a bit like a treasure... it has been waiting for you to discover it all these years...and now that you have found it...stick to it and enjoy it...

In the base notes I detect some mossy/green/incense/tobacco very nicely blended

I am very glad and happy I have found you Kuan Yin; I think I shall be coming back to you for more...

Big thumbs up...!!!

BayKAT's avatar

Eau d’Épices by Tauer

So, I'll be very curious to see how this one is received, because I like it (and haven't liked much else from this house). For once I am pleasantly surprised.

This opens as is- so if you like dry spice notes you'll certainly like this. What I'm love best is the middle phase, which is a warm floral with a delicate kick. The incense works well here, and keeps the other notes from gettign too loud. I can't recommend sticking your nose against your wrist, however, because if you do you'll get a blast of cardboard. This works best as a subtle halo about your person (so use sparingly)

I'd say this is different than most of his creations, becaues it seems less harsh to me. I feel like Andy was in his happy space when he put this one together.

If I were to buy a Tauer this would be it

obscura's avatar

Trade Wind by Essentially Me

When I was about eleven years old, my parents bought me a set of incense sticks, and I became obsessed. Any chance I got, I would sneak into the store that sold exotic wares and would run straight over to the incense and smell all of the beautifully named scents. More than anything else, Trade Wind takes me back to these childhood memories, and like memories, this fragrance is much better than the real thing. As much as I loved the idea of incense that smelled of earth, wind, and sea, there was always something thin and slightly sad about the fragrances. Trade Wind captures these smells, but in much richer form, undulating between cool, warm, sweet, spicy, salty, and earthy. More than any other fragrance I’ve smelled, Trade Wind captures a sense of movement, the push and pull of opposing forces, constantly fighting in chaotic harmony.

obscura's avatar

Tangos by Essentially Me

Before I read the story behind Tangos on the Essentially Me website, I was a bit confused by the name of the fragrance. I don’t catch anything that resembles Latin flare--no heat, no spice, no sex. What I smelled was a beautiful, dark green masculine that is halfway between enticing and comfortable. The tobacco is leafy and green with subtle flourishes of flowers and woods atop a stunning mossy-woody base. Eventually, I read the story that Alec Lawless tells about the creation of the fragrance, and suddenly it hits me--this fragrance is not meant to replicate the feeling of a tango, it’s meant to make you want to tango with whomever wears it! While this would be beautiful, if a tad conventional, on a man, Tangos would be irresistible on a woman.

rod7elfo's avatar

Bois du Portugal by Creed

this is an amazin masculin fragance. more you use it, the more you are a winner all around yourself,