Fragrance Reviews from October 2010

Weimar27's avatar
    Weimar27

Boss Femme by Hugo Boss

Hugo Boss Femme Smells Like a Copy of
    Intimetly Beckham to me it's barely there to light for my taste and i like me and my perfumes to get noticed. it does not last long on me so i'm swapping if anybody's interested
    it's a feminine version of a hard Authorian boss Pefume. and it's perfect
    to go out with your co workers for a spring weekend Lunch out with firends

Opium pour Homme Eau de Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent

I own and use (frequently I might ad) the EDT version and I love it. So I decided to go and try the EDP version. I find it's a pretty different scent. The notes of the EDT are still there but it's much more sweet and there is allot of wood. A good scent, but kind of a shock when you expect just a stronger version of the EDT.

Well that's my opinion. A thumbs up from me for this scent!

Belle d'Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

I can see why most people dont think of this as anything special. I love this though and I would go crazy for any woman that wears this!

Loud for Him by Tommy Hilfiger

I'm not verry impressed. The patchouli only comes out at the basenotes. Other than that nothing special. It's nice and fresh but just not for me.

FlowerbyKenzo by Kenzo

This has to be one of my favorites. It's sweet, but a sort of dark sweet. The scent reminds me of "happy." This fragrance makes me feel like a women and always has others walk by slowly to really take in the sexy sweetness. I went through a 3.4oz bottle in one year. Just awesome!

Kenzo Amour by Kenzo

This was a blind buy for me. I'm a huge fan of Flower by Kenzo, so I figured this would be great as well; and I was right. I just adore the exotic vanilla notes in this. I own the 50ml EDT and I so wished I had opted for the EDP instead. The EDT on my skin vanishes after a couple hours and I'm constantly reapplying. Next time I'd definitely go for the EDP.

Jade by Banana Republic

I love this musky fragrance. It's also very woodsy to me, and I enjoy that as well. The only issue I have with Jade is the longevity. After 2-3 hours, it's gone. If you're not looking for anything long lasting, try it.

DKNY Delicious Night by Donna Karan

I am totally enjoying Delicious Night. The opening notes are floral and sweet on my skin. The middle notes I'm not too fond of because they tend to be a bit sharp with my body chemistry. However once the sharpness has subsided a sweetness emerges that I just love. I'd give it a 6 out of 10.

Pink Sugar by Aquolina

I really enjoy Pink Sugar. I'm a sweetaholic, so this is perfect for me. I teach high school music and my students tell me I smell awesome!

28 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 17 November, 2010)

firehorse's avatar
    firehorse

Incense Rosé by Tauer

As a relative newbie, I liked this a lot when I first sampled it. It has the same incense Tauer-esque thing that I like in Orange star.

But over time, and as I sampled other rose fragrances (such as Amouage's Lyric woman) this dropped down to a neutral rating. There are so many better incense fragrances and better incense rose fragrances. Fun to sample as I love quite a few AT fragrances, but not full bottle worthy.

Not bad, but not great.

28 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 04 April, 2011)

rickbr's avatar
    rickbr

Vanille Absolument / Havana Vanille by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This is one of the Duchafour fragrances that lacks the exotic touch of spices that he usually uses as his signature. It`s not one of his best creations, or one of the strongest ones in L'Artisan Line. However, it`s a pleasant, and cozy creation, which uses exotic spices, dried fruits, creamy vanilla to create a comfort gourmand scent. The combination of rum, vanila and spices is the key of the creation for me - they combined seem to create a sort of a gingerbread done covered with chocolate and filled with a dulce de leche with rum and cloves. While it has a foody aroma, it`s warm and close to skin, and not sickening at all. The tobacco is more perceptible when the fragrance starts to develop, and it`s a smoky spice tobacco, surprisingly soft, and at this moment the fragrance seems like a silk version of tobacco vanille.
    My only complaint is about the longevity and the base of the fragrance. The composition doesn`t last more than 6 hours and the base is very faint, kind of a ghost of vanilla, rum, tobacco and exotic fern flowers with generic wood and musk.

maw808's avatar
    maw808

Bang by Marc Jacobs

Upon learning that Marc Jacobs had launched a peppery, woodsy, earthy fragrance I raced to Nordstrom for a test sniff. What's not to love?! Unidentified woods sandwiched between a pepper top and a Vetiver/Patchouli base. My absolute favorite components. I was willing to release all of my early reservations about Marc Jacobs' formulations--all of which have been noteworthy in their disappearance--very little sillage and even less longevity. I noted the bottle. Cheap and crude for my taste--certainly not close to the elegance of his Marc Jacobs for Men--but, hey, it's not about the package, eh?! A single spritz, on paper. Wham, bam, BANG!! Fabulous note of black pepper right outta the bottle!! Super!! I was duly impressed and eager for the development. Then....nothing. Really. Nothing! In disbelief, I sprayed my wrists. Crisp blast of pepper. Experience redux. I sniffed my wrists earnestly. I can't believe this, I thought. Aha! a faint hint of that which could be. ...and never was. I mourn an opportunity lost.

Diamondflame's avatar
    Diamondflame
    Singapore Singapore

Trade Wind by Essentially Me

The vetiver & galbanum combo has a sandy texture that is reminiscent of Lanvin for Men but tempered somewhat by a lightly spiced floral (official notes indicate nutmeg, orange flower and linden blossoms). On my skin TRADE WIND wears like a light breezy fragrance with some exotic island vibe about it. It projects beautifully over the first hour but alas, it is, as its name suggests, fleeting - I even forgot I had it on after 3 hours.

irfan's avatar
    irfan
    Malaysia Malaysia

Index Geranium Pepper by Fresh

Smells spicy geranium! It's a fresh scent for the first hour before it settles down to a woody geranium with a hint of spice (maybe the pepper). Although it's spicy masculine yet it's very wearable. Good for both office use and night outs. Silage is above average and it last about 7-8 hours on my skin.

actiasluna's avatar
    actiasluna

Anthracite by Jacomo

Anthracite (which incidentally I love) comes across to me as a vaguely fruity floriental... I get a slightly fruity topnote but nothing in particular... it's not as fruity as some Diors (the Poisons for example... and even Dune, which is airy and fruity and woody all at the same time.)

Anthracite has a good deal of "body" (read sillage) through its development. The fruit in the topnotes is somewhat tempered by a bit of bitterness, heat, and spice that keeps the topnotes from becoming sweet. That fruitiness is somewhat overshouted by the floral which is present even in the topnotes and certainly makes this scent "make a statement!"... the floral keeps that statement at a fairly high pitch (but not an obnoxious level) through the heart, and the blend in the drydown is quite spicy, dark, woody, and musky. I believe that this scent is a great one for unisex potential and Bigsly's review supports this claim.

The powerhouse nature of Anthracite is probably the reason it was discontinued, what with the trend toward fruity aquatics with white musk bases these days... however this scent smells absolutely FINE on anyone with a bit of maturity who is looking to make a scent statement that will make an impression. Its longevity is also quite good. Glad I nabbed a bottle just as it was discontinued.

BayKAT's avatar
    BayKAT

Memoir Woman by Amouage

Memoir Woman opens with the mall effect: an opening blast that would surely catch your attention if you were zipping through the bottles on the counter. Love it!

Moving on... middle phase. This played like a visit to In and Out (this is a burger and fry franchise for all you non-Californians) When it was 'In', I got lovely incense and dry spices, which I give thumbs up to. When it was 'Out', I got...wet leather boots. Not so good.

Dry down- cheers for longevity, which I haven't had much luck with from this house. My closing comments are that this is a nice fragrance, just one that is missing something. A strong base. Compare this to vintage Cabochard, or any other leather heavy weight, and you'll see what I mean. There is something 'light' and 'watery' about this. Chypres are my genre, and I take them very seriously (as I tend to buy them). Here I want more- there just isn't enough contrast or anchor.

I agree with Hilliare that this is one of the better offerings from this house, but still not enough to get me to jump in.

Cheeva's avatar
    Cheeva

Erolfa by Creed

Wow, this creed really had me on the fence for a long time. I can smell the citrus with bergamot top , but the mid notes comes off as what i can describe as sea weed smell coupled with sea salt. last stage is the usual ambergris, with a hint of sandalwood. projection and silage are very poor im afraid, at least on my skin. Bottom line, would I wear this ?.......yes! would I buy this?.................No Way! poor silage and longevity does not warrant The price Imo. Only if I got a sample, or as a gift would I wear this ,otherwise save your bucks.

Ekove's avatar
    Ekove
    Kuwait Kuwait

Reflection Woman by Amouage

The more Amouage I try, the more I get disappointed by the house, even though I was just blown away by gold. The house seems to have very slightly variations on the same theme of powdery florals, Incense and dried fruits, with a few exceptions that do truly make an addition to the amouage arsenal. Reflection happens to be one of those I'd consider a unique addition.

Having said that, and while I'd still give every other amouage a neutral rating based on the quality and superb blending alone, Reflection is the only amouage I've tried to this day I would straight up give a negative rating. While reflection is unique in the amouage line, it's a boring, generic, modern fresh fruity floral fragrances that the market is flooded with today. No exceptional quality here, very little incense and other interesting ingredients, just disgusting peach and flowers.

jules1's avatar
    jules1

Maitresse by Agent Provocateur

I smelled this in the store a few times and was never really impressed with the way it smelled on the card and so I never actually tried it on my skin. A few years later my best friend gave me the scented, shimmery lotion and I love it. It is not like any perfumed lotion I've had before. I don't feel the need to layer because the lotion has incredible staying power. It is a subtle scent, nothing overpowering. It is warm and just a bit sweet. I usually hate florals but there is something different about this one. I love it.

6of1's avatar
    6of1

Smalto by Francesco Smalto

Ah, Smalto! So much "almost". 'Tis a pity you are allegedly the replacement for my beloved Francesco Smalto PH. For this task you are indeed ill-suited. As a fragrance, however, you are not terrible. Not amazing, but not terrible.

The dry herbal opening and heart are very nice to me. The initial blast settles down to very little projection or sillage very quickly. It is a nice smell -- rustic, as noted. It doesn't seem that sweet to me at all.

Then comes the confusing drydown. It seems that odysseusm is right on point with the bottom of this one. I can't get my mind around it and it doesn't fall into sync with the heart and opening. Sometimes I am OK with it and other times I find it repulsive. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.

It's cheap enough to buy blind, so make your own decision. Also, although a bit masculine, this could easily be considered genderless.

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I tried this yesterday and I loved it. I just ran into it by accident and I did not know it has been on the market for this long (most stores don't sell niche fragrances around here though). Also the fact that there is a pefume version of this is especialy suprising to me. You don't see that to often. I usualy don't go for citrus fragrances but this has something special. I can't seem to find the notes it lives up to the name. It has a verry "Terre" feeling to it. I find wood and other earth tones that with the fresh note come together vin a verry nice blend.

So, thumbs up from me guys. Go try it!!

The One Gentleman by Dolce & Gabbana

I expected way more of this. Since the original "The One" was a nice fruity and fresh frangrance, I just expected this one to just have a bit more spice. Could'nt be more wrong. The dry-down is way to close to the skin. It's nice scent but it does'nt project at all. Longevity is alright, 6 to 8 hours, so it's perfect as a work scent. If you're looking for something with a wide projection, this is not something you'd be interested in.

Quiptos's avatar
    Quiptos

Artisan by John Varvatos

Oh yum, I never knew what that smell was but back when I used to ride a lot of motorcycle in southern California I used to hit patches of air that just had a wonderful smell of orange blossoms just like this.

Totally gave me flashbacks of 20 years ago cruising on crotch rockets.

I really is like crawling up into an orange tree and really inhaling the green leaves, bark, oranges and flowers all at once, green and orange very nice.

Bleu Marine by Pierre Cardin

Its a citrus with patchouli type mix scent wise. The latest bottle I had gotten had a good length of wear time about 8 hours if sprayed on your chest. Several women liked the scent and I don't mind it either. The only other scents thathave come close compliment wise with me are Devin(I no longer like it) and Aramis.

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

A beautiful scent whose main strength fades and it stilll smells good but people have to be pretty close to smell it which was why I got one negative compliment from my ex-wife as it stinks. And no positive compliments which is why i almost never wear it. It is expensive too.

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

I like bleu de Chanel its pleasant and seems to last for about 6-8 hours. it has a dryer scent to it but nothing distinctive either. I've worn it for my girlfriend and she didn't seem to know but she preferred my Armani. I have yet to receive one compliment from it which seems odd as I see many people every day.

ZeCheiroso's avatar

Top ****
    Heart *****
    Base ***
    Final score ****

Jack of almost all trades and master of many of them.

The good
    Superbly versatile, it can fit in many situations except very formal ones. Seasons aren't a problem either. I can see women wearing this too, as it's tame and well-rounded enough.
    High quality ingredients make it smell classy compared to most non-niche scents. Clean and fresh enough to please most ages too. The sweet accord is great to the point of being addictive.
    Average sillage, durability can be quite good when layered on itself. The bottle is cool and after the juice is used up I'm certainly keeping it as living room decoration.
    Fairly uncommon and I doubt one will find many people using it as their casual scent.
    Distinctive, if one pays attention, not many common scents are really like this one. Most fresh ones are marine, or lingering with citrus.
    Not bad at all as one's signature fresh scent.

The bad
    Perfumistas might be able to tell which note is synthetic and complain about development, balance, and the minty notes. On how recent scents are boring etc.
    It does lack oomph. On a fast glance, similar to the many fresh offerings. When I smell it I think expensive, clean and not much else.

The ugly
    It fatigates the nose very fast. Proper sillage test shows it's average and it's there. But what's fun if we can't get it?

29 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 01st December, 2010)

ZeCheiroso's avatar

Top **
    Heart ****
    Base ****
    Final score ***

That's the one that introduced me to the hobby of scents. Yes, it was a bit of that "what can I add to my arsenal to attract girls?". It screams fun, fun, fun.

The good
    Young girls dig this. Period.
    It's also a pretty complex mainstream fragrance. Most laymen probably don't even know about the notes pyramid but it's all there, knock-offs and cheapos can't pull it off. It's a fun journey indeed, from the fresh top to the cheerful heart, finally arriving at the clean drydown.
    Unique and it doesn't feel like the cliche men's scents.
    Proper sillage test shows it's not really so sweet as some people claim, if applied with a light hand.
    Atomic sillage and staying power.

The bad
    Because of the gender crossing thematic typical of Gaultier's, this one will sparkle discussions on what's appropriate for men pretty often. Conservative noses will label it girlish or gay, so be ready for it.
    I believe it's a "fun scent" and therefore not appropriate for office and formal settings.
    The top notes feel indeed industrial/synthetic and that might put off some.

The ugly
    Being the quintessential "pickup scent", many men treat it like a love potion: the more the better, they must think. The resulting mess is disgusting but what scent doesn't reek when overapplied?
    Not appropriate for very hot weather.
    To each their own but I also find older (40+) folks wearing this as trying too hard most of the time, just like it would feel it they wore teenager clothing.
    Quite a many people mistake it for Cuba Gold, a cheapo, as the heart notes are pretty close.

29 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 01st December, 2010)

Bigsly's avatar
    Bigsly

Kiss Him by KISS

I tried this one again today and it seemed like I was detecting violet! I looked on the box and it said that this one contains ionone gamma methyl, which can impart a powdery violet effect. Those who say this has an unpleasant, metallic spiciness are likely thinking of this molecule, because at first it seems quite strong. My only issue here is that the base notes don't seem strong enough, though I wouldn't want the amber to be any stronger because it is already a bit sweet. The ionone gamma methyl doesn't last very long, so just give it some time. There is a nice (but as I said, underpowered) drydown that has a hint of a balmy/resinous quality (presumably the fir and sandalwood), with the cumin and anise coming together and a slight vanillic aspect emerging. The sprayer is very diffuse so you may have to spray more than usual, though of course is you don't like the opening that may be an issue. If so, I suggest using a blow dryer on the area you sprayed to get through the opening quickly. Set it on a low setting and you don't need heat, though it might help a little (not worth getting burned, of course). Experiment and see what works, because the drydown is quite good, though most "casual"' users may find it too challenging.

My od review o October, 2010: Some BNers would likely slap down big bucks for this if ELDO marketed it as one of theirs (perhaps it would be called "Aging Rock Star"). One thing I've noticed is that when there is a strange note, some people perceive it as stronger than it actually is. I wish the cumin was stronger here, but as it is, it's a fairly sweet fragrance, but has enough "darkness" to it so that it's worth wearing once in a while. It's reasonably natural, well balanced (if you like the notes, of course), technically sound, and fairly dynamic. You can't ask much more from a fragrance that sells for around $10 for 100 ml. If you don't like the notes, sample first, but keep the sample if you don't like it, so that you can see if your tastes change over the months or years (if you are serious hobbyist).

29 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 07 January, 2013)

Margareta's avatar
    Margareta
    Sweden Sweden

Aqua Allegoria Pivoine Magnifica by Guerlain

An exampel of that the simlpe sometimes is the beautiful! A very lovely perfume, easy to wear, singing quite loud but not offending anyone! It is very different from my other perfumes, and I love it! I do belive this one is good for layering!

30th October, 2010