Fragrance Reviews from October 2010

mocha1943's avatar
    mocha1943

Aoud Velvet by Montale

I tried a sample of this and just love it. It is rich, not overwhelming but very smooth and, velvety! Well named, indeed. It lasts for at least 12 hours on my skin and 48 hours on a cotton round. This, to me, is a scent of the highest quality. Definitely on my wish list for a full bottle.

mocha1943's avatar
    mocha1943

White Aoud by Montale

I received a sample of this and it is very lovely. The aoud is sensual but not overwhelming. I love the floral notes of rose, jasmine and saffron melding with creamy vanilla and sandalwood. It and Aoud Velvet are my favorites of the Montale line. Il lasts (as do most of the Montales I've tried) 12 hours on my skin, and 48 hours on a cotton round. I definitely would buy a full bottle of this sometime in the future.

PerfumeCollector's avatar
    PerfumeCollector

Cuba by Cuba Paris

The opening is unquestionable Bergamot, it overwhelms the Lavender by a mile, but that strong Bergamot note is fleeting, ephemereal and let the Lavender raise his head momentarily to join the floral Jasmin, and again, a very short lived heart to let the woods come in full splendor, first a strong Sandalwood with the Cedar developing more slowly to a glorious woody base with hints of Vetiver, Jasmin and Lavender. Definitely a woods scent with flowery nuances that unfortunately develops too fast and in less of half hour you are well in the drydown. If you like Sandalwood, you will love it.
    Sillage and longevity are poor, but it is cheap and good smelling. Had it developed slower and lasted a little bit longer it would have gotten my thumbs up, but due to its poor longevity the best it can do is neutral.

PerfumeCollector's avatar
    PerfumeCollector

Nautica Classic by Nautica

PHHHHHHHHSSSSSTTTTTTTTT, PHHHHHHHHSSSSSTTTTTTTTT, OMG this is good, OMG it is gone!!!!!! What did it smell like???, I forgot!!!!!!!

NevilleM's avatar
    NevilleM

Caldey Island Lavender by Caldey Abbey Perfumes

Perfect Lavender. Like the lavender flowers in the garden (I have 20 varieties).
    Top is lavender; base a little musk so just a solifleur. As there's nothing in the middle it doesn't last on the skin beyond 20 minutes - so try a few drops on collar or sleeve. At these prices you could bathe in it.
    I keep a bottle by the remote control, and at the end of the day it overcomes those drydown blues - just a litlle every time you change channel.

Lalothar's avatar
    Lalothar
    Germany Germany

Incense Extrême by Tauer

Suffocating! The first incense fragrance I tested along with Norma Kamali. I burn high quality incense, from around the world, in my home daily. I really wanted to like this, but found it's opening, sillage, and drydown all overwhelming to the point of nausea. I must admit, I did like the next day smoldering effect that was still present on my skin. I've tried Andy Tauer's whole line and haven't liked one. This is unfortunate, as I have the utmost respect for Tauer and acknowledge his importance in the field of niche perfumery.

ruicosta10's avatar
    ruicosta10

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

the best fragrance. very long lasting and very projecting.

03 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 12 October, 2010)

surfpange's avatar
    surfpange

Black Rosette by Strange Invisible Perfumes

Once the top notes faded the dry down was astonishing to me. It's lasted over 6 hours so far today on my skin.

It's just a bit too pricey for me at $1,230/oz ($307.30/ 0.25 oz with CA tax no shipping.) It's only sold as a pure parfum but still out of my ballpark.

I would buy anything that's similar if it were more reasonably priced but I haven't found anything even close.

Cheers!

Trillz's avatar
    Trillz

The Dreamer by Versace

For me, the opening is only rough if worn in warmer conditions. Otherwise, beautiful fragrance. The tobacco, amber, lily drydown is amazing!

palo_m's avatar
    palo_m

R de Capucci by Roberto Capucci

I discovered this scent in Philadelphia in 1987 and have worn it since. It became my signature scent and in that time many were intrigued by and complimentary of the scent, but none could every place it. I true masterpiece and mark of the genius Capucci!!!

I used to be able to order 5-6 bottles of the splash and 1 or 2 of the spray online at a time, but now it is very difficult to find, except for the spray. Needless to say, I am very disappointed.

If anyone out there has run across the original R DE CAPUCCI splash (not the knock-off), please send me a notice of where.

Thanks

Miracle Homme by Lancôme

Miracle Homme is just okay. My mother has been a make-up artist for Lancôme for 30+ years and has gotten me samples of everything and anything since I was a teenager, this included. The opening is fresh and slightly green/spicy from what I noticed. Eventually dries down to an inoffensive, slightly sweet woods - I can faintly smell the coffee.

03 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 28 December, 2010)

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

Mugler Cologne is a nice, clean soapy inoffensive fragrance that is surely pleasant and good for occasions when you wanna just smell clean, but it doesn't last very long, and at times it can be a bit headache inducing for me. However, there are other "clean" and "soapy" scents that do the job better when I want to wear one, e.g. Original Vetiver by Creed.

Thumbs up to neutral.

03 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 09 January, 2011)

Vincents1278's avatar
    Vincents1278

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

A lady in a Bon Ton department store accosted me with a bottle. I said "no thank you" but my interest began then. Next time I walked through a department store I picked up a bottle and sprayed my wrist and a test strip.

I was surprised at how generic this came across at first. Smelling now and then through the rest of the day I found that it's much more than a typical calone or marine scent. There's a finesses to this one. It gives one a lovely ambiance - not a scent to wear if you want to be noticed for the scent you have on (who'd want that besides a teenager).

This fragrance has a light pleasant ruby grapefruit, powdery, oriental wood opening with some light floral notes and then a bit more powdery wood notes on the base. Not too fruity or too flowery.

I highly doubt anyone is going to break any new ground on fragrances in the near future unless we discover something man has never smelled before. Until then I will stick with classy fragrances that add something sophisticated to my presence. This is a keeper.

03 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 20th August, 2011)

Heure Exquise by Annick Goutal

Being a fan of many of Annick Goutal’s fragrance, and contemplating the name “Heure Exquise,” I was expecting this to be a beautifully soft, transparent delicacy. The opening surprised me: I was attacked by an acidic, aldehydic tour de force. The aldehydes are rampant to the point of being shocking. I have no idea where the acid came from… I can’t account for it in the pyramid. The rose note in the opening doesn’t come across very strongly for me, but the little bit of rose that does show through provides a clean and simple contrast to the frenetic aldehydes. It takes a while for the opening accord to settle down to something less aggressive. After twenty minutes I get a soft, clear rose note surrounded by a reduced sharp, clean, dry aldehydic green.

When it reaches the middle notes, an excellent powdery iris emerges. The powder is of high quality. I no longer smell the rose note. The middle has become almost an iris root solo – soft, green, powdery, and feminine.

The drydown is much the same as the middle accords to my nose; it continues green and powdery, and it exhibits very good longevity for an Annick Goutal fragrance.

I think that Heure Exquise is a good scent that, unfortunately, doesn’t perform well on my skin – it’s that chemistry thing again.

Écouté-Moi by Molinard

Écouté-Moi is quite potent and amorphous. I’m not sure what I am smelling but it is a massed citrus / floral and it’s not very distinctive except that it seems stronger than most fragrances. I don’t find much of a movement from beginning to end so I consider it quite linear. And it seems to have good longevity. I can’t imagine this fragrance being a very serious consideration as a fragrance for a typical wardrobe, except possibly as a curiosity.

Skarb by Humiecki & Graef

To me the opening comes across as aromatic… aromatic to the point of being medicinal. It is sort of woody / herbal the like of immortal or a soft wormwood. I would guess that this accord is what they identify as “absinthe” in the pyramid. I get nothing else that I can confidently identify besides that aromatic accord but I would guess that the “barley extract” could possibly be a genuinely present element of that opening accord: There does seem to be a grainy neutral texture lingering in the background. I don’t know why I’m doing it, but I’m spending a lot of time discussing an accord that is so boring that it doesn’t deserve this amount of discussion… or maybe it’s talk-worthy because it doesn’t change: It’s quite linear. This fragrance doesn’t form a normal progression… what I smell in the opening is what stays. So, Skarb is a linear, herbally aromatic / woody accord whose only development is the highly welcome lessening of the intensity of a totally uninspired absinthe(?) and barley(?). I’ll pass on this one – and I would pass on it if it cost $15.

Porsche Design Essence by Porsche

This review is a pretty much of a redundancy to what already has been said:

Porsche Design Essence could be the perfect example of the generic, synthetic, uninspired, headache-inducing, absolutely-meaningless automobile fragrance. The only good thing I can say about it is that it has very little projection and longevity.

04 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 02 November, 2010)

Takis by Farmacia SS. Annunziata

Lemon? Thyme? Rose? …in the opening?? …anywhere else??? …You can’t prove it by me! The pyramid is pretty much a work of fiction, as far as I’m concerned. I get musk; I get vanilla; and I strongly suspect lavender. These three notes form an accord that pretty much stays linear except that it grows more and more powdery as it moves toward its uninspired finale. For a vanilla / musk fragrance, Takis is nice enough, but it is nothing original or nothing special.

Felanilla 21 by Parfumerie Generale

Even though I am not a fan of saffron notes, Felanilla does a very good job of presenting that particular spice: I get only a tiny adverse reaction to its presentation here. The orris is nicely contained, too. The vanilla note is exceptional – a dried, somewhat burned note… delicious and foody but not a bit sharp, oversweet, or cloying. The woody elements of the fragrance – hay and banana wood – form an excellent, sappy / resinous platform for the refined and rich sweetness of the vanilla and the touch of amber. The scent is designed with excellent balance and refinement, and it strikes me as an original use of that luscious vanilla note in its combination with the woody elements of the fragrance. Because of its saffron and orris, I won’t be considering Felanilla for purchase, but I can’t help but admire the quality and the uplifting ambiance of the fragrance… Very nice scent, indeed.

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Oyédo by Diptyque

This is in two phases. The first has lovely, natural-smelling citrus notes: green citrus (like lime), orange, grapefruit. So far, so good. But then it gets a kind of odd, metallic note. Perhaps this is their rendition of thyme: cool – metallic – herbal. There is a vague sort of creamy-sweet note here too. That cool note gets bigger, and turns this into an aquatic herbal scent. I don’t like it!

Sugandaraja's avatar
    Sugandaraja

No. 22 by Chanel

The top notes are extremely aldehydic here; fizzy, sharp, and astringent. If you know aldehydes, you know the drill, and this is about as much an aldehyde bomb as you'll find this side of White Linen. In fact, in more than one way it resembles a hybrid between White Linen and No. 5 in its trajectory from bubbly top notes through floral heart to sudsy base.

The florals here are less pronounced than in Chanel No. 5, and slightly more titled towards rose, but all in all quite similar. In the base they become soapy, and the dry powderiness here really rather resembles Caron's Or Et Noir parfum in its modern incarnation.

No 5, Eau Premier, and No. 22 are their own little family among the Chanels, but to my nose, No. 22 has aged the least well of the three. I've smelled too many drastic reformulations among the Chanel line to imagine I'm smelling anything like Ernest Beaux's creation of nine decades ago, but judging on the current formulation alone, this is a somewhat strident and disjointed fragrance, lacking the balance and interest of the better releases by Chanel.

Ms Rochambeau's avatar
    Ms Rochambeau

Miss Dior Originale (previously Miss Dior) by Christian Dior

I'm addicted to Miss Dior. This is so mysterious and beautifully complex that there really aren't words to describe it. Each time I wear this it seems that some different facet reveals itself, expecially as the seasons change. I have both the vintage parfum and vintage EDT. They wear a little differently, but each has its own unique qualities (the parfum is a little more rich, floral and refined, while the EDT is more "raw" and overtly animalic (read: skanky...in a good way). To my nose it goes through a million wild and wonderful stages before the leather note finally reaveals itself, so it's not like Lanvin Scandal, Chanel's Cuir de Russie or Diorling, but that's just fine with me as I thoroughly enjoy the ride each time. I keep a top 25 list, and Miss Dior is always in the top 5 of that list.

Ms Rochambeau's avatar
    Ms Rochambeau

Diorling by Christian Dior

Vintage Diorling smells almost exactly like vintage Bandit. It's a nice leather scent, but I agree 100% with Caltha's review

Guess Suede by Guess

A synthetic, fruity, leathery juice with a hint of vanilla. Not too strong, so it's not cloying. The initial blast smelled nice, but within a few minutes it's gone generic - the vanilla note is reminiscent of Pi, however while Pi's vanilla is more creamy "custardy", if you know what I mean. This one's vanilla is just kind of a synthetic, rubber gloves-kinda smelling vanilla.

This sort of gives off a coconut smell similar to Obsession Night for Men, but not as good.

Y by Yves Saint Laurent

Clean cut soaring green chypre- very classical in smell . Such a lovely melange of notes make up Y - galbanum,honeysuckle, gardenia, peach,jasmine, orris, ylang ylang, oakmoss, amber,patchouli, civet,vetiver and benzoin. Wonderful ! You cannot go wrong with the elegance of this one.

A Travers Le Miroir by Thierry Mugler

This is beautiful ,really quite wonderful. It's a lush yet green tuberose that cuts through thanks to absinthe and wintergreen .It's opulent yet fresh and aromatic ,with a slight compelling medicinal edge that is quite addictive and very sniffable. Not at all like Carnal Flower- this has it's own beauty - it's less warm ,slighlty metallic ,less sweet. Very good.
    Thanks to Suga for this lovely sample! :)

Midnight Tryst by Neil Morris Fragrances

Midnight Tryst contains very many of my favorite notes in a scent and it doesn't fail to deliver .It's beautifully blended - the liquid itself attests to the quality of this scent- its oily in feel ,rich in ingredients .
    I love the clovey spicy cinnamon top .It's diffficult for me to pick out each individual floral note but the combination of all the notes reminds me somewhat of Tabac Blond by Caron with that edgey darkness and animalic feel underpinning the baroque ambery balsamic sweetness. Classic, vintagey goodness. Warmth ,depth and character. This is a beauty . Caron lovers - take note , you'll probably love this one. Definitely 5 stars.
    Thanks Suga ! :)

Cuir Pleine Fleur / Fine Leather by Heeley

Fine ,fine, subtle and soft leather- very expensive smelling leather - is this fragrance ...enhanced with soft notes of violet leaf, mimosa and vetiver. Soft ,refined with mere hints of cut grass . Very elegant,discreet , fresh and wearable.

Oriental Lounge by Different Company

A strong, quite beautiful predominantly ambery rose ,tonka and wood - alittle syrupy and a whole lot of sweet - but in a good way . Has quite a presence.

L'Eau Serge Lutens by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This is so totally unlike Serge Lutens' usual baroque style- it's the opposite. I wouldn't mind if this actually smelt good but it doesn't. Ozonic, charged air ,abit metallic ,a little plasticky and unfortunately quite strong and lasting . Please pass on this .