Fragrance Reviews from October 2010

Calyx93's avatar

Fleur de Cabotine by Grès

Like a very expensive clothes-dryer sheet. Lovely, if that's what you want to smell like. I happen to love it - it makes me feel incredibly clean. It's better than rubbing yourself down with fabric softener - very clean ,very clean - lots of galaxolide from what my nose tells me.

cformosa4's avatar

Kristiansand New York by Kristiansand New York

A bit of crispness that stays for a minute at the most.. It starts out very HOT from the pepper and stays that way for a while on my skin.. it then starts to cool down into a warm, sensual, sweet scent. You can tell the amber in this frag is pricey because it blends with the scent and gives it a perfect warm/sweet balance. The middle also has a very slight slight smokiness.. The dry down lasts for a VERY LONG time on my skin -- it's very smooth, creamy. Then it gets a bit powdery and earthy with a bit of a resin smell as it dries away.

I really love this fragrance! It's a great alternative to By Man if you're missing that one or starting to find it harder to find.

Redbeard's avatar

Équipage by Hermès

Someone go tell Creed Orange Spice that this is how it's done! This is among the most "barbershoppy" of my designer-brand samples, which I don't normally like but for some reason it doesn't bother me much here...probably because the anise isn't sticking out much. It's rather sweet, but the spices are very bracing so they cut the sweetness well. It's quite traditional, and might border onto "old man" territory, but not the acrid, pungent 70s/80s type: more like a 50s/60s executive's aftershave. This was one of my first samples, and at one point I nearly threw it out for being too orangey and not interesting enough, but I've since realized that it's extremely well-balanced, with nothing obviously obtrusive or missing. The only thing I don't like is that the base becomes slightly more anisy and stodgy, though also woodier which I like. So go buy some...if not to blow anyone's mind, then at least for a scent that knows how to behave in all types of company.

Redbeard's avatar

Rocabar by Hermès

Rocabar is very sweet and vanillic, which at first made me discredit it. Since then, I've realized that the wood component is uniquely seductive and beautiful. In the quest for woods, I've tried Visit, Tam Dao, Rush, Gucci PH...all the usual suspects. I've found that the dark, resinous earthy wood in Rocabar, if you take the time to find it under the sugar and spice, stands above the others in a way that I didn't initially appreciate. To me, this scent like no other represents the oft-idealized december night walk through the snowy pine forest of the mind. The dry wood smell is surpisingly cold underneath the warmth of the sweeter components, and it includes the needles on the dry branches, and a bit of the soil. The only problem you'd run into with Rocabar is that some seasonal home scent products are very similar, and younger audiences might think your cologne smells like a Glade Winter Edition Plug-In Illuminated Scent Oil Pyramid, or something like that.

mrclmind's avatar

Silver Cologne by Amouage

Silver is another very big scent from the house of Amouage. It's a wonderful creation. The citrus opening is very brief. The floral heart is quite complex and lasts for quite a long time before turning to powder (which in this case is a nice transformation). Amouage uses very arbitrary gender classifications for most of their scents. I could see women being more comfortable wearing this floral oriental than most average western male fragrance consumers. However, applied with a light hand I find it quite wearable. The closest man's cologne that even comes close to what Silver is attempting which I have smelled is Aramis 900. Silver has both the floral elements, and the elegance factor turned way up, which gives Silver a much more "wealth in a bottle" vibe over 900. The word for this one, as with many scents from Amouage is "opulent."

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

Souk by Essentially Me

Lovely creation which starts with zesty top notes, followed by rose and spices and then settles down with woody notes and lingering spices...

I prefer the scent Classique to Souk bearing in mind that they have very similar notes; Classique also lasts on my skin a lot longer...

Big thumbs up...!!!

BayKAT's avatar

Bal à Versailles by Jean Desprez

A week ago I visited a friend in Chicago, and she took me to a performance of the top 10 winners of a summer reality show.

Now I don't have a TV, and had vaguely heard of the show. When it started each of the ten acts was flashed across the big sreen, but one performer in particular caused the crowd to go nuts.

Let's just say that when you have no preparation for Prince Poppycock, your mouth hits the floor and you jump out of your seat for a standing ovation along with everyone else.

Likewise, Bal a Versailles is best approached wiht no preconceived notions. I think it's image gets in its way, and if you didn't know any better you'd say to yourself, "My, what a lovely, soft powdery floral."

This scent is oddly addictive. When i stick my nose in it I get this strange spice note that is course and off putting, but when I smell the sillage It's so unusual I can't 'sniff away.'

I found myself chasing after my own scent trail, for no other than reason than morbid curiosity. There's just nothing like this out there. My version is from the 70's era, and I appreciate it more than the EDC I tried last year. It's smoother and more refined.

A standing ovation for Bal A Versailles!

Silver Light by Escada

The opening of Silver is green and soapy, with some spice as well. It's not entirely different, in fact, it strongly reminds me of Uomo by Moschino. The thing that's most off-putting about this fragrance to me, is the chemical odor I pick up from it. Fortunately it's only strong in the very beginning.. it's reminiscent of the glue/paste accord I get from Curve, or Versace V/S. As Silver dries down, it just gets soapy and slightly floral but its foundation is a green fragrance. Vanilla and jasmine dominate from the middle on out.. the combination of the 2 is actually quite nice, even for somebody like myself who finds the jasmine note to be very feminine. I do think this fragrance is unisex all the way. As for my opinion.. I'm really smack dab in the middle on this. The strange chemical opening isn't enough to complain entirely about because it goes away quickly, and although the dry down is very pretty, it's just not for me.

On a side note.. the middle/heart notes phase of Silver strongly remind me of Arpege pH, only take out the orange blossom and citrus and replace it with jasmine.

Roadster by Cartier

I guess I'm in the minority with Roadster. To me, it's sickening and makes my stomach churn, gives me a headache and even makes me dizzy. Strangely though, when I smell it from a distance it's not as bad; but for somebody like myself, I have a tendency to smell my arms. The opening is a thick, heavy, cloying, paper smelling mint. I'm not a huge mint fan, but if done well like in Live Jazz, I'm all for it. Roadster is strictly mint, and that's all. As it dries though, it becomes a bit more tolerable.. the vetiver and woods creep in and cancel out the strong mint some what, but it's nothing to write home about.

Conclusion: If you want a fragrance with mint in it, go with something like Live Jazz, Le Male, or even Jacomo de Jacomo Rouge. If you want a strictly mint fragrance, dominated by mint, strong, heavy mint, you'll like Roadster. I don't though.

pattnaik's avatar

India India

A*Men Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler

It smells amazing. .....better than A*men (it has a bitter tar smell), stays long enough...dry down makes it better.....I love this. I would put it above B*men.

redrose's avatar

Diva by Ungaro

I didn't wear Diva in the 80s (too busy raising kids, etc.) - so don't know if the current version is similar or identical to the original. But I really like the brand new sample I've just received. It just may be the answer to a prayer - the rose scent with longevity! First, the rose, the bergamot and a touch of fruitiness, which doesn't last long on me. Then, the rose amplifies and is joined by sandalwood, vanilla and heaven knows what else in a crescendo of great beauty and dazzle, a true Diva! I love it! A great party scent, certainly, but I'd wear it anywhere, any time, just patted on very lightly for daytime. A scent which lifts the spirits, just as a true Diva does, and which seems to last forever. A great find.

sierra 18's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

Opus 1870 by Penhaligon's

I very much like this offering from Pen's, which is a nice addition to the collection. I get s lot of dry, white cedar from this one, from the very first, through the middle and into the finish. There is a slight crust of cinnamon around the edges, which is certainly welcome, and none of this frag has anything cloying or synthetic about it. This is a welcome addition to my other Pen's scents.

hedonist222's avatar

Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

Very commercial , not authentic . Doesn't smell bad but I expect more from house of Chanel.

Birgh's avatar

Norway Norway

Cool Water by Davidoff

I suspect that one of the reasons why Cool Water is such a huge success in terms of sales might be that most people out shopping for perfume, going through a lot of samples, will find this one very pleasing at the first sniff on a card. Not many of the multi-layered, "heavier" fragrances smells this inviting the first seconds; lavender and peppermint without the "booze".

My problem with Cool Water is the fact that it is one of many one-dimensional smells, this one staying more or less flowery, with a touch of peppermint and wood in there, all the way. I don't think it's a bad or "thirteen-on-the-dozen" smell, just a bit boring and really not my taste. What surprises me, though, is its longevity which I think is above normal for this kind of fragrance.

I can see that women, especially the romantic type, will love this fragrance on a man. Right now when the first snow has fallen I'd rather give them Burberry London.

Birgh's avatar

Norway Norway

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

Smelling the unbelieveable fresh and elegant opening of this fragrance I was sure I'd nailed one of my seldom blind buys. It took me about one minute to realize how wrong I was. By this time the fresh whiff of topnotes had disappeared like magic, leaving my wrist to smell nothing else but lemon juice.

Ten to twenty minutes into the "drydown" the juice had turned even more sour and became a harsh, unpleasant smell. Lily, nutmeg, saffron, cinnamon ? ... not a trace. It became all too clear that this praised creation was not going to develop into anything but a cloying, unplaesant smell of harsh citrus, probably yuzu. Base notes? Tobacco amber, musk? Are you kidding me?

Could it be that the controversy about L'eau D'Issey is more about skintypes reacting different to certain ingredients in this fragrance? I have a hard time imagening that master-perfumier Jacques Cavallier has his name on something that smells this bad on, let's say himself.

Either way it doesn't really matter to me, exept for the unneccesary blind buy, of course, as long as there are citruses like Eau Savage and Signoricci still available.

Baldessarini Del Mar by Baldessarini

Awesome bottle. The end.

No, seriously. What to say about Del Mar. Well.. having tried the original Baldessarini, and owning Ambre, I find myself wondering wtf. Here we have the Baldessarini brand from Hugo; it's less sythetic, it's more sophisticated, and it had a highly credible image in my mind after having tried both the others.

Baldessarini is like the niche part of Hugo Boss, but Del Mar is totally Hugo Boss. It's cheap smelling, it's synthetic smelling, it lacks any originality. Does it smell bad? No. In fact, few fragrances actually smell "bad" to my nose. Del Mar doesn't smell bad, but it's not even worth sampling, take my word for it.

31st October, 2010 (Last Edited: 04 January, 2011)

KillerScent's avatar

Solo Loewe by Loewe

I still haven't found the best fragrance in the world, but Solo is the closest one to deserve that range, alongside Terre d'Hermes.
    Totally remarkable and distinguished .This is a modern classic, it's manly and smooth at the same time, it's classy and sexy , I have received a lot of compliments from women.
    It has soft citric notes perfectly blended with pepper, floral notes and maybe a sweet woody note that remains for hours .If you spray on your clothes it can last several days .Excellent sillage and longevity .
    It's not an aquatic fragrance , so it has nothing to do with GIT and Cool Water , it's much better .I respect other reviews and opinions but Diesel Fuel ForLife is crappy compared to Solo, it's like comparing a cheap wine to a Dom Perignon .
    An EDP of this fragrance would be even better, I hope Loewe launches it .

I agree with other reviewers in the similarities between Solo and Terre d'Hermes, which is a good thing as, at present, Terre is the best fragrance in the world .

This fragrance should be among the best ones .It's worth the money.

My marks:
    -SCENT: 9.5
    -LONGEVITY: 8
    -PROJECTION: 8

31st October, 2010 (Last Edited: 13 April, 2011)

rosbif's avatar

Midnight in Paris by Van Cleef & Arpels

Midnight in Paris is an attempt at the magic of Dior Homme. With such a towering masterpiece to live up to, it's no wonder it's such a nightmare. The top is a ghastly sweet hairspray that betrays the idea of the composition: subtlety. The muguet is totally out of place, definitely isn't to my taste and should probably be in another fragrance. The drydown is cloying and sickly and has the sillage of a jet engine. Avoid this one; buy a large bottle of Dior Homme instead. **

31st October, 2010 (Last Edited: 30th November, 2013)