Fragrance Reviews from October 2010

Corrado Finardi's avatar

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

I have to admit. At the very beginning, being disappointed so far. After, and having the chance to better study this frag, it grows and adcquires and unbeliveble quality. If you stay tuned on the "old" aquatic framing, no doubts you'll be disappointed. But in the end, this is a really great fragrance. Time will say, but I'm pretty sure. This frag makes allure chanel edition blanche to seem surpassed, it encompasses all the precious qualities of Edition Blanche but in a more intriguing way. Duration is great, and the soft trail around the typical Chanel trademark. A WINNER.

Late-Hit's avatar

Friendship Garden by Shulton

I found an unopened 4 oz bottle. It's a clean, light aldehydic floral with a hint of lemon... a bit like No. 5 with lemon zest. My sense is that Friendship Garden was intended to be used as a light splash, and not for formal wear.

I can easily imagine the pretty bottle sitting in the bathroom for use when guests came to visit. Aunt Bea would certainly approve!

tott's avatar

Sweden Sweden

1 Iris by Prada

Prada No 1 Iris is a soft, slightly sweetened and powdery iris soliflore.

It does resemble the Infusions a little bit, but the iris is fuller, richer, more nuanced. There is a distinct carrot-like air and an earthy rootiness which is softened and dried out by the slightly powdery and sweet base.

This is a beautiful, warm and wearable iris on the cozy end of the spectrum compared to Serge Lutens' aloof and mentholated Iris Silver Mist.

Orange Blossom by Gorilla Perfume

This is delicious. Honey, blossom honey, honeyed florals. Long-lasting and evocative of sweet, rich summer warmth. Yum.

Lust by Gorilla Perfume

A lot of oomph! If you like jasmine, get a sample and give it a whirl. It lasts and lasts.

The Smell of Weather Turning by Gorilla Perfume

I tried this on its own and it made me think of BNTBTBB Breath of God and Superworldunknown, so I tried it again on my wrists with Breath of God in the crook of one arm and Superworldunknown in the crook of the other.

Naturally the initial smokiness of BoG chimed with the gentle smokiness of The Smell of Weather Turning but the mint of TSoWT sang out clearly throughout: each scent differed and I couldn't figure out why the new one had prompted thoughts of the earlier scents. I'll have to try it again and keep trying.

I didn't get the idea of the weather turning, sadly, but that might come in time. It is great to find compelling and challenging scents readily available at pretty modest prices, by which I mean scents that don't give up all their secrets at the first test.

(In my group test, Breath of God was the most compelling of the three. It really has rewarded patience and is definitely worth trying - in a small area with a small amount - and allowing time for it to change and change and change again on your skin. Irresistible.)

kayley123's avatar

Fantasme by Ted Lapidus

Unfortunately this starts out too sweet and then turns sour/bitter on my skin.

Comme des Garçons Parfum by Comme des Garçons

This could be an interesting olfactory experience but I can't imagine anyone regularly wearing this fragrance. It isi incredibly heavy, cloying and medicinal.

Quorum Silver by Antonio Puig

Absolutely terrible, my worst blind buy ever. This is just cheap synthetic cedar oil mixed with alcohol. Stay away.

Cool Water Summer Fizz by Davidoff

I like this fragrance very much but don't let the accord tree fool you, you can't feel the accords since the fragrance has 30-40 minutes longevity.

This is a great refresher for hot summer days, you will feel very good for half an hour, it would be super if it could have just some more longevity.

BayKAT's avatar

Epic Woman by Amouage

You know, I keep trying this line to see what they'll do next but my patience is running a little thin.

This fragrance is a disaster of epic proportions. Bottom line: they issued it before it was finished. Mixing oud and incense can be OK, but it needs to be smooth, and here it is not.

How much not? Picture this scene: It's late at night and you're sitting comfortably in your lay-z-boy, preparing to watch a rerun of Happy Days. The show opens with the Fonz walking into the cafe, with his black leather jacket, tight blue jeans, and slicked backed hair. "Heyyy" he says, and every one claps. 'How cool is that!' we all think. This is how Oud and incense are supposed to wear.

Now assume that the network has fallen on hard times, and can't afford Henry Winkler's salary. So they swap him out for Pee Wee Herman. Not as polished. Not as cool. Not as good.

I think Amoauge needs to slow it down for a while and rethink their strategy; putting out one stinker after the other isn't going to build a long term fan base.

Benetton Sport Man by Benetton

After trying for only a few days on 2008, I consider this one not worthed the $15 price tag. Fresh, yes, but many others with same price offer better longevity and sillage.

Cigar by Rémy Latour

I don`t know why I bought this at the first place. Not my style. And I dropped it, of course I don`t mean to, it still half full. Never regret it though. No longevity, and in tropical weather, it smell too musky.

Clear Day for Men by Etienne Aigner

Beautiful. Just beautiful. Different in fresh cathegory. One of my favorites since 2007. Always had one ready. Sillage and longevity is quite good.

Cold by Benetton

I always try to get a tester if I could, if not, I play around on the level of under $20 price tag. This is one of the first cologne I try, worth your money as a junior high school, like me back then. Fresh and sweet.

My wife tries HOT also, kinda nice too.

Ferrari (Red) by Ferrari

I like it, though many negative reviews. One of the first above $20 frag I bought. Warm, sweet. But never feel any needs for another bottle.

Hugo by Hugo Boss

Quite good longevity. The price is right too. Classic for my nose, I find it not offending anyone. But I do not look to buy this `old` guy again.

L'Eau par Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

I prefer this baby after Energise or Clear Day. Not many people wear this anymore, I guess. Fresh and soft.

X Limited by Etienne Aigner

A `normal` fragrance for me. Some years ago my friend trips to Singapore, and he gives me this. One of my first frag collection too. Never had another bottle.

B.Clean Fresh by Benetton

Benetton never become my favorite because of its short lasting freshness. Maybe its good as an aftershave ?

Hugo Energise by Hugo Boss

This is one of my favorite besides Aigner Clear Day. Different in smelling, but each has its power. Longevity is excellent. The price is quite a bargain too.

Corduroy by Zirh

Sweet and warm. Not offending. But no longevity whatsoever on me. Probably because the climate in my country, Indonesia, which is tropical and moist. Better for night use. For the price of tester I bought, only $10 here, there is nothing wrong to apply every 2 hour or so.

Adidas Fair Play by Adidas

I don`t know what`s wrong with this one. Only last for 10 minutes on me. The opening is so `melon`, people around me said that. Even with the $8 price tag in here, Indonesia, I won`t recommend it.

domperrier's avatar

Malaysia Malaysia

Stradivari by Prince Matchabelli

Having very very limited experience with less than 40 fragrances and almost none with identifying notes in any scent, I'm rather handicapped in reviewing this one, but will attempt it anyway because of requests to fill the void.

My very vintage bottle of this intriguing fragrance(cologne parfumee) still packs a spicy punch at the outset despite its age.

Some unfamiliar florals dance with the spices to produce a pleasing masculine & herbal aura for the first half hour, reminiscent of some of the Aramis colognes, but with less bite.

It then settles down into a consistent muskiness, which mutates into a pleasing aroma of cedar and perhaps sandalwood towards the drydown.

Something between what is perhaps an Indian barbershop scent and a perfume that you would wear to a gathering of familiar folk, when the warm woody aroma would open up hearts and induce a sense of closeness and intimacy among those within its thrall.

Kalynne's avatar

Back to Black by By Kilian

My skin kills a fragrance, again! I like Back to Black, but the pleasure only lasts 15 min. On my skin, it opens rich, honey and the scent of oak wine barrels that are being cured...smokey vanilla and brandy. It's rather sweet, but complex. 1 hour, sweet vetiver and a bit of smoke and it's almost gone. I recommend trying this rich scent, it just doesn't work for my chemistry.

plumaria's avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

Cool Water Woman by Davidoff

It's a floral aquatic, soft and a very refreshing scent. It starts off with tangy citrus with the hint of fruitiness in it which is very refreshing as the citrus are not like a blast but they just make you feel fresh. It is like as if you are given a chilled glass of freshly squeezed lemon drink in a hot afternoon.

The heart settles in aquatic floral way just like as if various flowers have been just cut and have been placed in a huge glass bowl of fresh chilled water. I like this stage very much.

The dry down has a prominent note of vanilla with a hint of musk and blended with soft sandalwood. I don't detect any vetiver however, it must have been added to give some prominence to musk, sandal and vanilla.

Suitable for all occasions, anytime but should be worn in the day. As the citrus smell refreshing in the day time.

4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser by 4711

Why is this described as 'infamous' on the News page? And why did my local Boots treat me with disdain when I asked if they had it, and tell me that they only stocked 'quality perfumes'? If it had just been brought out by Frederic Malle they'd have been proud to showcase it - or perhaps Penhaligons would be a better match. The only problem is with 4711's image, damaged by the decades of marketing as a pocket-money present or as cooling wipes and ice-sticks. A line-up of bergamot, lemon, orange, petitgrain and neroli is always going to win with me, and if everyone could overcome their prejudices they would find that this is an attractive scent with surprisingly good staying-power.

Blenheim Bouquet by Penhaligon's

Several people say 'very British' and it was indeed formulated for Winston Churchill's father Lord Randolph. This scent is as far from generic as it is possible to get - a lemon cologne, yes, but not straightforward even at the beginning, with lavender and pine scents. Dries down to a more herbal scent with the pine predominant. It is notable that the other products (have bought the soap and the deodorant) smell different from the perfume and cologne - reminiscent, but different, with the soap preserving only the base notes and the deodorant only the top notes. I disliked the soap at first, but have become strangely fond of its earthy effect.

Extract of Limes by Penhaligon's

I agree with saxifrage, except that for me the janitorial transformation was much faster. I loved the scent in the shop, and for perhaps an hour after application, then realised that it had mysteriously started to smell of a well-known brand of citrus lavatory cleaner. I was extremely disappointed as I adore the bitterer citrus derivatives, especially neroli. I gave the bottle to a friend (with explanation!) and she finds it short-lived but otherwise loves it.

ROUSAK's avatar

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

A sweat long lasting fragrance.I enjoyed every drop of this bottle.
    Highly recommended