Fragrance Reviews from October 2010

ROUSAK's avatar

Vetiver by Guerlain

I bought this depending on all the positive reviews. Big mistake i was very dissapointed.
    Lime, levander, and vetiver mixed in an awful way. I dont recommend this to anyone.

04th October, 2010

ROUSAK's avatar

Aoud Leather by Montale

This is not short in longevity, it stays all day on me although most other fragrances do not last more than 2 hours on my skin.
    Montale oud Leather dry down is not perfect as how it starts.
    unfortunatly i cant give thumbs up for this one because of the drydown, nor i will give it thumbs down because its longevity is great.
    Neutral on this one

04th October, 2010

Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé by Hermès

Off-Scenter is right on. Ambre Narguile is about food, not passion… not sex… It does food extremely well – it smells delicious. It’s linear and has good sillage. It is not a disappointment to me because I wasn’t expecting much (Not a big Jean-Claude Ellena fan here). My thought about gourmands in general and Ambre Narguile in particular is that it is not enough for niche gourmands to smell like savory food: There should be a more challenging intermingling of fragrance notes than this one exhibits; after all, if I really wanted to smell just like food, there are much cheaper ways of doing that. I own and love several what-I-consider gourmand fragrances (including Arabie and Body Kouros), and they all do more than simply smell like food. This is a pretty and pleasant but non-intriguing designer fragrance, and after a few hours of smelling it, it's just plain ... there. If it were a cheaper fragrance, I'd give it a thumbs up even though I personally don't find it very interesting... its lack of complexity and development beyond the food notes are at odds with my expectations for an expensive fragrance.

04th October, 2010 (Last Edited: 21st February, 2011)

leto's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Soul by Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

Fresher than the original Curve and IMHO this is better. If you are on a low budget, this is a must have. No one can be offended by this nice&fresh fragrance.

04th October, 2010 (Last Edited: 04th April, 2012)

Lian's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

The Smell of Freedom by Gorilla Perfume

The very first blast is of a rather unpleasant generic masculine notes but then it settles down to a more smokey tea scent, it reminds me very strongly of Tea for Two but the jasmine give it a hint of soap. The combination of the bitter notes and the freshness jasmine works rather well. I would say it's a very unisex scent because of it.

Twolf's avatar

Secret Obsession by Calvin Klein

Try not to compare it with the original Obsession, it is a given that these two will have nothing in common. Secret Obsession is a floriental with yummy plum note on me, and rose is very pronounced. While it does not come in EdT formulation -- only EdP and matching lotion and bath gel products are available -- it is not "right in your face', rather subtle and classy. It behaves like an EdT with EdP longevity. There is not much sillage, it sits close to skin.

There are white florals, there is a hint of vanilla in it, but sandalwood component is very delicate yet lasting. The whole impression is quiet, with internal dignity, private even.

Another example of how a fragrance does not have to cost one an arm and a leg and be absolutely wearable and most enjoyable in many environments.

PS Can't but agree with Ms.W.'s review on how this one and Shiseido Feminite du Bois have certain similarities.

jimmyfresno's avatar

T for Him by Tommy Hilfiger

OK, so this is a scent I smelled on someone else and was captivated by initially. The burst of citrus was so clean, green and well rounded, it was mouth-watering. I didn't feel that I needed to actually wear it before deciding to buy it since it seemed like such a straightforward, fresh, clean scent. I don't usually buy mass marketed cologne, but for casual wear, this seemed refreshing.

Well, on skin, this is a dissapointment. After the grapefruit/lime topnote quickly fades, the "green" edge of the citrus is left behind on ones body as a strong celery seed note, which I'm surprised that no one has mentioned thus far. It's almost like Yatagan but not as interesting, accompanied by that standard, hackneyed men's 70s fougere accord with lavender and amber. Unwearable.

odysseusm's avatar

Escale à Portofino by Christian Dior

This starts with lovely citrus and orange blossom notes. As is often the case with petigrain, there is a slight creamy and woody-earthy aspect. The scent is clear, bright, and cheerful in tone. Definitely unisex, and not sweet or heavy in any way. That's about it -- a pretty good scent, no substantial development but quite pleasant to wear.

odysseusm's avatar

Life Threads: Platinum by La Prairie

This is a rich leathery floral. It strikes me as a scent of appeal more to women than men -- it is floral, sweet, pretty and opulent. The dry-down lightens the scent up a bit, and gives a cool, expansive and interesting note. It isn't anything I would choose to wear, but I could appreciate it on the right person.

Grottola's avatar

Chemistry by Clinique

Initial blast is a bit chemical and alcohol-y, but it dries down to a very simple, clean gingery amber melody, citrus in there somewhere. Lasted the better part of 2 hours on my skin. Very 90's, but not outdated by any means. Certainly pleasant.

Grottola's avatar

Sung Homme by Alfred Sung

Before I even say whether the fragrance is good or bad, this stuff smells almost identical to Irish Spring soap - the original scent. A powerful, fresh, bright fragrance very much like Irish Spring with oakmoss and a musky/vetiver presence. On a spray card, it simply smells like Irish Spring. On my skin, it still smells like Irish Spring, but I can differentiate the notes a little better. Lemon is prominent. It smells older, but there's nothing wrong with that - this is a nice, (apparently underrated) refreshing juice that lasts a while and just smells nice and clean. Definitely masculine, so no worries in that department. I seriously thought this was gonna be a powerhouse frag when I sprayed it on the card, guess not!

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Chypre Rouge by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

A tangy green chypre with the most wonderful mix of pine needles and beeswax with honey. Together with the jasmine and the patchouli -ambery drydown - this is a unique ,distinct smell.A character of its own .It's tangy sweet green woods. Smoothness, richness ,unisex. You must smell this to understand how this scent 'owns' it's unusual character. Beautiful ,beautiful ,beautiful . :)

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Stoned by Solange Azagury-Partridge

Oh My Goodness. I adore this ! This is love at first sniff and *why* may you ask.... because this is so darned close in smell to Guerlain's Vol de Nuit parfum extrait except this has a tad more vanilla and musk. It is an absolute beauty. I heard that this is not long lasting but it seems teancious enough to me.
    A dark oriental ,dusky, faintly powdery ,woody vanilla dark flowers and thoughts of vintage days. It's wonderful !

NebraskaLovesScent's avatar

Paradox for Men Green by Jacomo

I love many of the Jacomo women's scents. This house offers scents of remarkable quality for a reasonable price. I wanted to find one for my husband to try, and I purchased Paradox for Men Green after reading all the positive reviews here on Basenotes.

It was love at first sniff for both of us. Paradox for Men Green has a lot in common with the original formulation of Christian Dior Fahrenheit, which both of us loved and wore in the early 1990's when we first started dating. Paradox for Men Green also smells like a beloved but discontinued women's scent I wore around that same time: Ultima II Sheer Scent.

Paradox Green is dry, citrusy, woody, with a hint of hot spice. Definitely masculine, but if you're a woman who enjoys non-sweet scents, there's no reason you can't wear this one, too. It is great for hot weather or days when you want to smell clean and fresh.

I agree with previous comments that the sillage is not great and it will require a few extra sprays to get a noticeable projection. Longevity is average for an EDT concentration (about 4-5 hours). This affordable little treasure is definitely worth a try!

Late-Hit's avatar

Choc by Pierre Cardin

Wow, this was a surprise... not floral, not spicy, not really fruity. Oh I know... It's Z-14 pour femme! Very unusual, to say the least.

tott's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Montana Parfum de Peau by Montana

Parfum de Peau is a perfume with plenty of personality, or maybe plenty of personalities; I've seen it classified as a leather, floriental or fruity chypre. In any case, it's filled to the brim with fruit, berries, spices, flowers, oakmoss, sandalwood and animalics and is a classic 80's powerhouse with plenty of sillage and longevity.

It opens with black currant, plum and peach, spices like pepper and cardamom and some greenery, followed by the main floral impression which is that of tagetes. Tagetes is a flower with a distinctly sharp, fresh, slightly spicy and pungent smell that keeps everything in check so that it never gets sweet or cloying. The base contains generous amounts of animalics like castoreum, musk, civet and amber along with incense and patchouli.

This is an unusual tangy leathery fragrance that has been referred to as an avant-garde chypre, and I can only agree. It's definitely not anonymous or boring.

Parfum de Peau has been produced in three major formulations and packages that I know of. The original 80's formulation was packed in a blue box with the Montana name and text printed in a darker blue. This was reformulated with synthetic castoreum during the mid 90's and packed in a similar box with the printed name in black, edged in silver, and smaller text in silver. This was later discontinued. Parfume de Peau is now owned by an Italian company which has re-issued a weaker reformulated Italian version that is a shadow of its former self. This is packaged in a blue box with a depiction of the helix bottle in orange, and my simple advice is to avoid this version. Some online retailers pass this off as the discontinued French original, despite being aware of the fact that it is an Italian re-issue. Beware.

In the hands of its new owners, Parfum de Peau has also spawned a few flankers such as Montana Mood Sensual, Montana Mood Sexy and Montana Mood Soft. They share the distinctive helix bottle and a "Parfum de Peau" print on the box. I assume that the Parfum de Peau designation is the only similarity to the original.

New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

Absolutely LOVE New Haarlem. My favourite from the Bond no. 9 house.

I don't smell the citrus notes that were mentioned in one of the above reviews, but the coffee, patchouli middle notes, and vanilla and tonka base notes just make me DIE every time I wear it.

If ever there was a scent for raw sex...this is it

Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker

I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but this is like the lame version of Narciso Rodriguez For Her EDP. Similar rose/musk combination but boring. None of the richness that made For Her stand out.

A "C" grade knock-off of a really great perfume...

Voyage d'Hermès by Hermès

Whenever someone comes in to try VdH I have to tell them, it smells exactly like a Gin & Tonic. Bombay Sapphire and Lime! It doesn't however smell like you've spilled a drink on yourself, it is a very beautiful addition to the house of Hermes. The tea makes it fresh and light, but the pepper and citrus makes it very crisp and refined; something I would never call the BVL the vert extreme. Overall freshness makes it easy to get away with wearing in the office, yet the musk in the base makes it last all evening, and that is definitely not a bad thing!

I'm hard pressed to find something by Jean Claude Ellena that I don't like!

DollyDagger64's avatar

Une Rose Vermeille by Tauer

Another fabulous Tauer. Rose surrounded by lemon, raspberry and violets which amplify and make it richer. A winner all around!

DollyDagger64's avatar

Eau d’Épices by Tauer

Eau d'Epices opens with a rich airy blast of spices. This is no gourmand. It hs no density or chewy quality. Wearing it is like having someone with a censer of burning incense walking in front wafting smoke that surrounds with the scent of spices. The drydown is delicious and long lasting. I highly recommend it.

BayKAT's avatar

Bois de Paradis by Delrae

I"m going to go in the opposite direction on this one: I give thumbs down to the opening, but thumbs up to the drydown.

This opens VERY gourmand on me, which I just can't do. let me try and explain how this wears on me:

When I was in college, my room mate's boyfriend came over one night with some friends and alcohol. I was sitting in the living room having a beer, and they were in the kitchen making something to eat. An orange glow lit up the wall. To my horror I saw that Mr. Idiot was making himself some pan fried everclear.

Burnt, stinky sugar from a dirty frying pan. That is how I wear gourmands. But moving on...

Bois dries out to a lovely, raspy woody scent (If you've tried Sublime Balkiss you'll recognize the blueberry note). I need an hour and a half to sing this scent's praise, so do give it that long before making up your mind. This starts as a stinker, but ends up as an exquisite, fragrant woody. This is the only Delrae scent that I could see myself buying, although I would still like the opening toned down a notch.

BayKAT's avatar

Bas de Soie by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Bas de Soie was one of ten samples I recently recieved, and immediately jumped out as a potential favorite.

"Smooth as marble!" I told myself. I know this is described in blogs as 'cold and metallic,' and I"m not going to disagree with that, but it is also so much more: perfection.

Some are comparing this to 28 La Pausa and Chanel 19; for me no to both.On my skin this is more energetic, pure and intense. Strong iris (which smells like a snapped green bean) is usually too much for me, but when blended with hyacinth (which I love in Chamade), it's plain pretty.

(Fragrantica is leaving out galbanum, musk and spicy notes, which are also included.)

You'll also detect 'hard minerals' here, so yes, that would be the metallic aspect. To me this is an 'active scent', makes you want to move, be creative, smile.

This will absolutely come down to chemistry. The type of folks who might like this probably have some hard core greens on their shelf. This is not a dark floral mix at all, it is cutting and brisk. On me it is a perfect match, and is what I might order if I ever paid for a private scent.

05th October, 2010 (Last Edited: 09th October, 2010)

SirScent's avatar

Horizon by Guy Laroche

Clean, fresh fragrance that was initially offensive with it's heavy Grapefruit opening-enough to evoke a harsh "P.U." but the dry down is nice and even. Don't let the top notes scare you away. This is worth the wait and can be had for cheap. I find it more wearable than Drakkar. Discontinued but still available on the web.

SirScent's avatar

Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger

Very troubled by this one. After reading so many positive reviews I thought Tommy would be a winner. Smells like so many other frags -especially P. Ellis America which can be purchased much more affordably. Nothing special here but an extensive list of ingredients that add up to one big disappointment. Yawn.

superped2's avatar

Kohdo Wood Collection: Dark Amber & Ginger Lily by Jo Malone

Great scent rom Jo Malone I honestly cannot get enough of this scent, it is perfect for the fall and winter.
    I have like 5 samples of this and would really like to get a bottle so if anyone is selling one please let me know thanks

Patrick Black's avatar

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

First off: This stuff smells like pure Petrol for the first 10 or 15 minutes. So, if a lady friend is in the next room or you are running late...might grab a different bottle.
    Second off: When I bought this stuff, the 3 ladies (35+, early 20's, and late 20's) all swooned and told me I better put it on outside if I don't want to be pounced on. And every girl since has LOVED this stuff. It brings out this animal side.
    Once this stuff dries down...it smells great! It is a masculine scent, but it uses the woods and leather to accomplish it and not an older man smelling musk. It is exactly what it says, "a young modern man smell".
    Its sweet enough to pull them in, but deep/rich enough to keep them their. Fresh enough to wear during the day, but not that "freshly cut grass"/"fruity"/"floral" kind of fresh. One of my favorite aspects of this scent is that its not cluttered. It has just enough smells to keep it interesting. But not enough to overload the scenes.
    Its dirty, its raunchy, it just got home from work (as a double 0) and poured itself a glass of scotch...that kinda classy but not snobby kinda smell.
    I love all the woods and the leather, and the subtle citrus and Vetiver really adds to DE's smell.
    I don't have much problem with projection. But I prefer colognes that don't invade people's personal space. I've had people compliment me as I walk by, or talking face to face. But a cute waitress passing by probably will miss it. (But that's what a nice smile and charm is for guys. Stop using cologne as a crutch). The BEST part about this stuff is it will stick to you longer than super glue. Throw it on in the morning...and you'll have to take a shower if you want to change your scent that night. Just great.
    And again....test it on your skin (smells like petrol on paper) and wait 20 minutes before you judge it. DE is a great cologne.

05th October, 2010 (Last Edited: 18th October, 2010)

Olène by Diptyque

very jasmine'y
    i urge you to layer it with something oud and/or leather'y

then its perfect

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

Nice for a "commercial perfume".

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

starts out great but then later on, much later on becomes too sweet.