Fragrance Reviews from October 2010

hedonist222's avatar

Onde Mystère by Giorgio Armani

This is from my all time top 5 perfumes. It is amazing.

05 October, 2010

Rizack's avatar

Just Me by Montana

Unknown Gem, as Cedric say about the Coca Cola, I wish this part lasted a bit longer. I also agree with BlackAmber it is similar to Theorema but more spicy and less foral in the drydown, but equally gorgeous.

05 October, 2010

Safetyjon's avatar

Vintage by John Varvatos

I find Vintage to be an interesting woody chypre. Sometimes it smells like it's almost a gourmand. When I first tried it, it made me think of gin. This makes sense, since the juniper berry is one of the primary ingredients in the production of gin. It is sweet, but not excessive or cloying. I don't like most sweet fragrances, but I do enjoy JV Vintage. The sillage is not excessive. Nice manly dry-down with patchouli, leather and a prominent tobacco. Longevity on me is 8-10 hours. I like JV Vintage. It's is in my rotation and wear it when I want a safe, non-offensive fragrance...usually every couple of weeks. Overall, I give it a thumbs-up.

05 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 10th November, 2011)

revoile's avatar

Punono by Saffron James Parfums

The first two letters in the name are a good description of this fragrance.

30 Roses's avatar

Coriandre by Jean Couturier

Coriandre was my beloved signature fragrance throughout the 1980s, ever since I first smelled it (and immediately bought it) at an airport perfume store in Nairobi. The bottle was a 4 oz. atomizer, $27, and I felt very decadent for spending so much on perfume! (Needless to say, I've come a long way since then!) I was saddened when I smelled the dismal reformulation last year; this excellent fragrance has been ruined. However, as of this writing, the earlier version can still be found in cylindrical 1.1 oz. atomizers, both in small independent perfume shops and on the Web.

thatsmr2usir's avatar

Chrome by Azzaro

When I first sprayed this on my skin, the first association that pooped up in my head was a updated version of Ck One! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO THANKS!

Swanky's avatar

Intuition for Men by Estée Lauder

This offering from Lauder is certainly not awful, nor is it spectacular. For those who think the sweet/spice combo in Opium Pour Homme is too much, this mellower rendition may be just the ticket.

Intuition is at root a vanilla/nutmeg/cinnamon scent. On me it does have decent longevity. Sillage is mild, so I don't quite get all of the comments about offending people within a wide radius.

The name is silly for a men's flanker but the bottle is pretty cool in a modernist abstract way. I enjoy this well enough and it'd probably be pretty good on a young man as a first scent.

Knize Two by Knize

Aw shoot -- this violet note kills me -- I'm sure this has calone in it also. A floral aquatic with a dirty jasmine, no less. I hate it.

Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi

Solid sandalwood, which is probably Australian, but hey any sort of real sandalwood is a rarity nowadays. I get the Tam Dao connection also, but Sandalo is better imo. This is on order.

Knize Sec by Knize

I get a rather dusty incense laden citrusy opening -- slightly odd but not unpleasant. It then plunges into a light leather and floral mix with the incense hanging on in the background. The drydown is a solid ambery leather/light wood mix with a touch of sweetness. Rather than an etiolated version of Knize Ten, it's more of a 'Nostalgia' Lite to my nose. Wonderful.

Rêverie au Jardin by Tauer

I think Andy Tauer had recently sampled Lutens Gris Clair before creating this. I actually find RaJ much more interesting and satisfying to wear. It's not just a lavender and vanilla mix -- there are slight nuances of smoke, moss, cedar and amber added, which temper the obvious sweetness. Lovely.

Yuzu Fou by Parfum d'Empire

Wonderful mix of citrus and green notes that lasts and lasts.It is also a fragrance that is more than the sum of it's parts. Calling it a citrus is like calling a Lamborghini a 'sports car'. Terrific.

Eau Duelle by Diptyque

I don't get the complexities others have stated about this fragrance -- my nose may have been worn out. I was just experiencing a basic saffron, tea and vanilla mix and they are not hard to find.. It's also quite linear like most (or even all) of Diptyque's range. It's quite nice for an oriental lover, but it didn't do enough for me to make me want to purchase.

Nukapai's avatar

Byzance by Rochas

Once upon a time this was a powerful, ambery floriental with a great hit of incense and tuberose in the grand 80s style. Today it seems to have been thinned out to be a soapy shadow of its former glory. I've given it 4 stars for nostalgia, but at present it's really only a 3-star fragrance.

On the plus side, you can still get a hint of what it used to be like from the current juice and it's very cheap to get hold of.

Grottola's avatar

Dior Homme Sport (original) by Christian Dior

Eugh, this is NOT like Dior Homme at all. Loud and fresh citrus and ginger in beginning give off a bitter cleaning fluid scent, added in with a some sort of Cilantro-ish note that gives off a filmy/plasticy/"clothing with cigarette smoke on it" odor.

Dior Homme is wonderful, but there's no way I'm touchin' this again.

Malmaison by Floris

I dearly love the smell of a good carnation perfume and Malmaison is resplendent in rich ,clovey spicey carnation. It 's not very different form Bellodgia by Caron except this is lighter in feel and less sweet-ambery . It's a beautiful sloliflore and very sad sad that this carnation scent is no longer produced. Thanks to HilaryJane for this lovely sample. :)

Nuit De Longchamp by Lubin

Hilaryjane very kindly sent me a sample of this in Eau de Cologne form and the formulation which is now considered vintage. A complex oriental blast of rose,ylang,powder, orange blossom ,carnation -smooth and rich even in cologne strength. The opening reminds me a little of Opium , Normandie by Jean Patou and Jubilation 25 by Amouage after which it veers into a powdery ,lighter ,rosy dustiness .
    Classically good ladies' 'perfume.'

Memoir Man by Amouage

I think I may love Memoir Man more than Memoir Woman ! I get a gorgeous fresh basil ,mint peppery incense that is outstanding ... greens and woods- musk, lavender touches .Very very good. This is somewhat different from Memoir Woman which I think is decidedly darker,sinuous ,more floral and more introspective. Both fragrances complement each other- I find Memoir Woman more dangerous.
    (Memoir Man's opening reminds me Hermessence Paprika Brasil's opening notes. )

sliver1's avatar

Chemistry by Clinique

Chemistry is another fragrance I used upon its UK debut in 1994. I went through a couple of bottles and then completely forgot about it. I knew it had been discontinued, now only available on-line or at selected shops, but since joining Basenotes I've been revisiting fragrances from my past and was compelled to give Chemistry another try.

I was 21 when it first came out and simply put, Chemistry isn't a youth scent. I liked it very much, but those were the days of nightclubs and wild partying and Chemistry gets lost in loud, sweaty atmospheres; it simply isn't strong enough. (You could just spray on a lot more but Chemistry isn't a scent that lends itself kindly to over-application.) Also, as somebody who back then bathed in Antaeus and has always tended to favour more noticeable fragrances, to me Chemistry seemed...well, a bit throwaway.

I'm 36 now and rediscovering Chemistry has been a true pleasure. A very simple scent with no other aspirations than to make you smell fresh and clean, it's a real pleasure to wear. This is a fragrance to lend you a generally pleasant air, only revealing itself totally when somebody comes very, very close...it's the perfect date or bedtime scent. And maybe it's because I'm older or maybe it's because Chemistry is no longer widely-available, but I certainly wouldn't label it throwaway now.

It won't go over with the CK crowd, of course, completing lacking frivolity. But I'm of the mind that it's how the individual wears a fragrance that's most important. If you can wear it deftly with confidence then any fragrance can be made suitable for any occasion - if it's a particularly strong fragrance one squirt on one wrist delicately applied to other areas can even make it suitable for work or a quiet dinner. I couldn't pull Chemistry off way back when but that shouldn't stop younger guys from giving it a try although, in fairness, most will probably find it a little too serious.

As it is, I spray one squirt of Chemistry on my heart before dressing, one each side of my neck and one on each wrist. The initial gingery blast suggests this may be too much but within minutes it significantly mellows. There is no pretension with Chemistry, you catch it occasionally throughout the day - a simple, warm and comforting fragrance which works its magic through subtlety.

As much as I love fragrance I'm horribly allergic to it. Unless I use a barrier cream, almost any fragrance brings me out in a disfiguring, maddeningly-itchy rash - something that I'm actually prepared to put up due to my love of fragrance. However, Chemistry does not cause my any reaction at all on my skin - probably due to Clinique's stringent anti-allergy policy - so it's ideal for anybody else who suffers with sensitive skin.

Give this forgotten little gem a try. Rewards may be plentiful.

karisuma's avatar

Everlast Original 1910 by Everlast

Probably the best bang for the buck in the fragrance world. The 3.4 oz sells regularly for < $10 at TJ Maxx, which is a steal for a scent this exquisite. Great longevity, lasts all day for me.

Late-Hit's avatar

Façonnable by Façonnable

Strong opening, not entirely pleasant or inviting, and in many ways like a hundred other things. Looses the sharp edge after awhile and then slowly fades down to a leathery base... and if you sniff closely you can sometimes detect sandalwood... but it doesn't project that way.

I can't say it's wimpy and I won't say I hate it, but I think you can find other more interesting things.

Late-Hit's avatar

Givenchy pour Homme by Givenchy

To me it seems a lot like CKIN2U (with a hint of iris?) and so I'm not surprised there are so many lukewarm reviews. CKIN2U was not a real big hit... but I enjoyed it.

Just like CKIN2U, I'll have to give Givenchy pour Homme a neutral since it just doesn't project or last as it should. But it is a good hour of fun on a dreary day.

shamu1's avatar

Black Suede by Avon

Am I the only person here who sees this as a floral scent? For the first hour, the florals smell very prominent to my nose, which isn't a bad thing at all. Black Suede seems to put have all the best features of Stetson, Royal Copenhagen and PS Paul Sebastian, wrapped up into one excellent fragrance.

"Black Suede" is a misnomer because there is nothing black or dark about it whatsoever, nor are there any leathery notes that I can smell. Instead what you have here is a superb floral oriental fragrance that dries down to a warm amber and wood base. Black Suede has an overall powdery smell to it, but it never overwhelms (unlike Avon's Wild Country, which is a storm of talcum powder). It is extremely old school in overall feel.

The whole fragrance is just beautifully balanced, with the florals never becoming heady or overwhelming, and the oriental amber base never becoming heavy or overly sweet. The drydown is a marvelous combination of sweet and dry, with the amber providing an almost nutty scent and cedar notes giving it a dryness that counteracts the sweetness beautifully. Everything smells just right in Black Suede, which is a huge accomplishment in its own right for any perfumer.

I am a newcomer to Avon fragrances, and Black Suede is my first introduction to Avon's men's line. Apparently this is an Avon classic, and I can see why. Two thumbs all the way up.

MY RATING: 8.5/10

BayKAT's avatar

Kiki Parfum Extrait by Vero Profumo

I received this as part of my Lucky Scent Fall sampler pack; along with the other three new EDPs. This one was the least appeling to me, as this is not my genre.

I approach Caramel and Lavender the same way I approach liver and onions. Blech. That said, the opening was surprisingly tolerable. what I appreciated was the faint citrus notes, which carried through the middle section. This phase was enjoyable even, and I began to think Kiki might not be all that bad.

But at the 1 hour mark the sweet, cloying caramel kicked in. This is when i reached for a new shirt. This is just not a note I can wear. I mainly got the sample pack for Onda and Rubj, which are more my style.

06 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 09 October, 2010)

Kerosene's avatar

Sécrétions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange

This is an odor, not perfume, plain and simple. Doesn't take a genius to make something smelly, if so, I am one too because the bottom of my garbage can smells similar to SM.

Rubj Parfum Extrait by Vero Profumo

The extrait of Rubj takes its wearer into dangerous territory. Picture a young, seductive Miss Havisham, surrounded by heavy drapes and vases of lethal blooms, and you've got a fairly accurate idea of how this juice operates. There's an almost tangible promise of salaciousness behind the jasmine-laden florals and plummy, fermenting fruit notes. A sense of contrast is provided by a judicious selection of woody, astringent ingredients, but the emphasis remains on the sort of decadence not evoked since Dior's Poison. The EDP comes as quite a surprise after the onslaught of its older sister. Although it is still structured around a floral heart, it's much greener and more diffusive, with a far weaker stress on the indolic notes, which have largely been replaced by the sweatiness of cumin. Opulence is sacrificed for the sake of approachability.

Kiki Parfum Extrait by Vero Profumo

The friendly, easy-going extrait of Kiki must surely be a serious contender for the Finest Lavender Of All Time award. Reminiscent of Provencal sirop de lavande - with its lip-smacking balance of sweetness and freshness - it brings out all the most languid, romantic aspects of the plant's unmistakable scent. The familiar smokiness, the hints of pine and the visions of open skies are all placed on a rich gourmand base with the faintest touch of what my nose detects as patchouli. The eau de parfum is equally smooth and breathtaking, but it tips the balance more heavily in favour of the citrus top notes, at the expense of the caramelised conclusion. As a result, it's much sharper and more alert, but still suffused with the sparkling beauty of the Côte d'Azur.

Onda Parfum Extrait by Vero Profumo

Onda's temperament demands firm handling, for this is one beast of a scent. The first words I wrote when I sprayed the extrait were, "powder, granite, steel," and that sense of powerful oddness remains throughout the fragrance's development. There's a fizz of ginger, a waft of incense, a scattering of spices, a blaze of leather, all of which resolve into a heavy vetivert. The effect is complex and compelling, and if you find the mossy denouement unsubtle, then you've probably missed the whole point of the experience. The eau de parfum may be a safer bet for more delicate souls. It dispenses almost completely with the mosses, giving the vetivert an opportunity to clear its throat and sing a melody that's cleaner and more buoyant. As a result, this version is less likely to offend, but I suspect that if you're the sort of person who's going to consider wearing it, you're not going to be satisfied with anything less than full throttle. Be brave: choose the extrait.

Bang by Marc Jacobs

Some fragrances impress you with the coherence of the entire package in which they arrive: the name, the colour of the juice, the bottle, the poster... they all interlock into a convincing whole. Sadly, Bang, the new masculine from Marc Jacobs, isn't one such scent, which is a shame, because it actually smells rather good, albeit for a few, brief minutes. In a mainstream market where Chanel think it's acceptable to release Bleu, it is gratifying to find a male eau de toilette that doesn't seem intent on being indistinguishable from every other citrus clone. Its peppery opening deserves praise, as do its woody mid-notes, with their scalpel-thin sprinklings of cedar. But just as you start getting really excited, the whole lot fades away into the pale distance and is entirely gone within a couple of hours. So even though the flacon, the name and the advertising campaign are all noteworthy in their own way, they seem designed for an entirely different scent, because no matter how pleasant it may be, this fragrance certainly isn't powerful enough to be named after bangs of any sort... unless, of course, you're talking about the quick, 'wham bam, thank you, maam' variety.

Eau d’Épices by Tauer

Eau d'Épices begins with the eponymous spices. Cardamom, cumin, pepper, cinnamon and goodness knows what else fly into the air, as if leaping out of a basket that's just been thrown at the sun. They descend onto a landscape that's part terracotta, part summer orchard, where the pungency of orange blossom competes with the resinous waft of incense. There's a hint of dryness in the air, a sense of crackling heat. And then things become really impressive. Three different forces engage in a tug-of-war - ambery wood, frankincense and indolic floral - but instead of cancelling each other out, they all manage to make their presence felt with clarity and insane longevity. Those of us who've played around with pipettes and essential oils will appreciate that this feat is nothing short of astonishing.

Whether or not you'll actually like it is another matter. I'd be lying if I said I fell in love with it straight away. There's a particular note hovering around the floral section - a vaguely synthetic, green citrus - that I found difficult to ignore, although it's much less pronounced on paper than on skin. By no means did it spoil the entire experience, but it did distract from the other, more pleasurable elements. Having said that, the fragrance yielded several compliments from those caught in its sillage, with comments ranging from, "It smells like amazingly fresh air," to "It smells like walking into a warm house on a freezing cold day." In other words: sniff before you buy! Personally, I haven't yet been able to shower Eau D'Épices with total adoration, but there is no doubt that it's a worthy addition to the Tauer line and that it commands all my respect.