Fragrance Reviews from October 2010

Persolaise's avatar

Memoir Man by Amouage

The presence of Memoir Man is announced with a sheer spice-and-lavender note which immediately takes on a grassy hue and leads to an evocation of the leaves and twigs of a fig tree. Hints of warm leather flit in and out of the picture before the Green Absinthe Fairy herself arrives, fresh and bracing. At first, her company is welcome. But after a few hours of her high-pitched wheedling, you begin to see her less as the seductive queen of intoxication and more as an irritating Tinkerbell. She does eventually make way for a vetivert drydown - with a seamlessness that is genuinely admirable - but you end up quite glad to see her go, whereas she ought to leave you wanting more.

06th October, 2010 (Last Edited: 27th October, 2010)

Persolaise's avatar

Memoir Woman by Amouage

On paper, Memoir Woman fails to impress: its white floral opening seems frail and synthetic and its central accord of absinthe and tuberose is bilious. However, on skin, it pulls off a neat little feat of redemptive alchemy and turns out to be warmer and more finely tuned. Woody notes - which often benefit from the effects of body heat - rise up to support the heart and the mossy base, reducing their harshness without stripping them of their power. Subtle musks surround the whole with a soft embrace. The final result is by no means a masterpiece, but it's certainly a less frightening scent than the one that rises up from the blotter.

ltroupe1's avatar

Konvict Homme by Akon

I found a 3.4 oz pack @ Ross for $10 today and bought it on a blind buy.

It smells pretty generic but for $10 it's worth it to wear on certain occasions.

I am giving this a neautral rating for two reasons: I love Akon and the bottle idea is very clever. But as clever as Akon is I think he could do a lot better for his fragrance.

Kalynne's avatar

L'Eau Serge Lutens by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Yummy! I received 2 samples and I'm enjoying a fragrance that isn't quite what I go for, but it smells really good on my skin. Warm, rich, citrus on my skin. A bit lemon cream pie with the buttered crust. The aldehyde must bump up the yummy factor of the citrus. This nicely blends with the cotton. I don't smell the mint, but mint loves my skin and it must accentuate the yummy factor. After 9 hours, the light musk is what remains. It's quite a happy scent and provides a sensory respite from a busy work day.

Sauvage Hound's avatar

Turbulences by Révillon

Turbulences

The critique from the on-line store where I buy my fragrances gives the following notes for this marvelous woman's perfume:

"Created by Revillon in 1981, Turbulences is an elegant, woody, mossy fragrance. This feminine scent contains a blend of natural florals, spicy blend with warm low notes of amber and wild musk. Turbulences is recommened as an evening fragrance."

I recently bought a small bottle of this scent as a rememberance--it was my mother's favorite and it conjures wonderful memories of her for me. But my personal associations aside, this is truly a great fragrance: classy, elegant, mysterious, and alluring. It troubled me that in all the Basenotes community no one had yet reviewed this rare but classic scent, so, inexpert though I am, I have ventured to offer my opinion. If you are looking for something both unique and beautiful take the time to track this one down--you'll love it!

MHV's avatar

Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain

The scent that made me pop my hard-earned money exclusively for the purpose of smelling good.

Before I tried Mouchoir de Monsieur, my only prototype for a fine smell was Penhaligon's and Trumper's, so I was used to more barbershoppy contraptions. Which made me blind at first to the more structured elegance of Guerlain. In the store, it did not arrest me as something I would want to wear, but I think the fougere accord challenged my nose saying "you can't say what I am, yet you can't forget me!". On the day I smelled it first, it was horribly hot outside, and all I got was a rather grandma-ish rose. But the mystery it caused in my nose was enough for me to request a sample vial.

Two days later, as the weather abated, I had a nice lazy day alone in the house. I thought it would be the perfect occasion to give it a try: should I dislike it, my girlfriend would not suffer!

And then it was a revelation: first it began with very fresh oranges and citrus, but then the rose turned in more gracefully and the animalistic smells kicked me hard enough to let me erupt in a long, blasphemical string of pleasure exclamations. And still that mystery in my nose, but now I was delighting in it. I was reading Joyce's Ulysses that day, which, like MdM, is set in 1904. It was like being there, feeling at once the gentility of the Belle Epoque, the last illusions before the Great War, and the pangs of regret that come with progress.

MdM is eminently wearable today, and if you hesitate between it and Jicky EdT, get MdM for its larger shoulders, more ample smell (can't comment on how it compares with other strengths of Jicky). It's something I would wear with a nice suit, a clean tie, and a handkerchief in my breast pocket.

MHV's avatar

Tabac Original by Mäurer & Wirtz

Well, this one is an affair of love, and my first review on BN!

I came to Tabac by way of the superlative reputation their shaving soap possesses. Being impressed with the soap (it's now my standard), I inched closer to the cologne with the Aftershave, which made me confident enough to try the EDC.

Oh my. Where were you all my life? Not knowing you was probably one reason why I stayed away from perfumes for so long. Now I got the balm, the body soap, and refills just in case I run out; where will I stop?

What sold me to the smell really is the EDC. It begins sharp and astringent, very bitter, but in a few minutes it turns into a beautiful floral smell, and as soon as it warms up you feel the "tobacco" smell, evocative of good pipe tobacco's sweetness. Once it has settled in, it's a sweet, almost vanillic smell, but there's nothing cloying about it. It remains light, suave, but modern ; rich without being heavy.

That said, it remains a drugstore fragrance, and it has some rough edges once your nose is accustomed to more structured smells, but it's a damn good everyday smell, something that you can wear like a favorite sweater to go about your business, work or grocery shopping. It's a democratic smell, but one that believes in the people!

Avoid at all costs the EDT. It begins almost exactly like the EDC, very sharp and bitter, but instead of morphing into something alive and breathing, it remains perpetually in the bitter stage. After a few minutes, it gives me a headache, and smells too soapy, aggresssive.

Both thumbs up for the EDC, both down for the EDT. And get the soap if you shave!

Wrappedinglory's avatar

Sandalwood by L'Erbolario

It reminds me of Terre d'Hermes. It's very simple yet powerful.

EseveN's avatar

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

Very very interesting fragrance. Smells sooo great!!

Actually, my favorite fragrance. Manly, sensual, a little sweet.

I recommend it to everyone who wants something different.
    Good for warm nights.

It would be a perfect fragrance, if not for it's longevity.
    Longevity is only average.
    Not a problem if you use an atomizer to re-apply.

Rating:
    9.5

Grottola's avatar

4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser by 4711

After having done the rounds and discovered a plethora of more expensive, higher quality Eau de Colognes, I have come to the conclusion that 4711 is overrated and kinda cheap smelling. Also, Jean Marie Farina by Roger & Gallet is far superior - lasts longer and smells better. For even more luxurious options, there are the Guerlain Eaux.

Still, 4711 does have some sentimental value to me.

06th October, 2010 (Last Edited: 05th April, 2011)

Joe_Frances's avatar

Brioni by Brioni

This is a warm, sophisticated one of a kind gentleman's fragrance. It is totally in the spirit of high-end, elegant style. It is a cousin or best friend of Guerlain's Derby and Dunhill 1934. What is really worth admiring about Brioni is the superb structure. In the structural area it is comparable to the monumental Derby. It's wonderful development reminds me of the now gone but not forgotten Dunhill. Ultimately, however, Brioni is just Brioni, as nearly perfect a fragrance as is in production today. Subtle (if applied correctly) yet very distinctive, in summary it comes down to two words: first class.

Backtable's avatar

L'Anarchiste by Caron

Dullah, thanks for alluding to Creed's Baie De Genievre, as this is also one of my favorite colognes, and having just received a bottle of L'Anarchiste, I'm ecstatic. Yes, it has a spiced accord throughout but not overly sweet. In fact it reminds me also somewhat of Bogart's Witness, only much better formulated. A cool, spicy and to my nose reserved dry down that no doubt isn't for everyone, but still I love this stuff. Blood? No. Metallic? Maybe. Certainly unique.

Backtable's avatar

Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland

Yeah, this is good stuff. I will say that that upon application I get the fecal blast of a barnyard (may just be a one-off bottle?) reminiscent of swine, mud and fermented hay, but this rapidly and amazingly settles down into something exquisite, and indeed I too am reminded of Worth pour Homme, and in my opinion better. Great juice here, very masculine and in it's own way somewhat subtle but evoking a sense of a well-grounded cologne. Probably not for those under 30, but still very nice.

Baldessarini Ambré by Baldessarini

Forgettable, poor longevity, reminds me of Lacoste Elegance and Guess by Marciano for Men.

Guess by Marciano for Men by Guess

Thumbs up ONLY because I paid 25 dollars for a 100ml unused/unboxed tester bottle. It's not worth ANY more than that. As with the other past Guess offerings, longevity is poor. It reminds me of Lacoste Elegance and Baldessarini Ambré. Easily a forgettable fragrance.

Lacoste Challenge by Lacoste

Smells like a lemon mess! No longevity(but an alcohol ONLY smell will stick to your skin the entire time). Wouldn't take it as a gift...or give to a homeless person.

cheryl's avatar

With Love... Hilary Duff by Hilary Duff

I tried it in a store and don't have a sample. My impression is nicely done sugar fest. It's pretty, NOT obnoxious. There's a light dose of fruit (I guess the mangosteen). Then a not terribly deep or distinguished base of sugar amber woods. I felt it was missing a component somewhere..something that would make it truly a perfume, rather than a pretty scent idea. I like it. But it wears and feels pretty young. If I had a niece I might gift her with this...

Mistawho's avatar

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

The first time I smelled this I fell in love right away. This instantly became my signature scent! I will always have a bottle of this! I usually rotate between this and my Creed Aventus and Amouage Reflection.

Violetta di Parma by Borsari

I like this very much it's been around for almost 150 years and it's easy to see why.

It's a simple straightforward floral/musk combination I would imagine that on different people it would have a different composition but each one compositon would be like the chords of a guitar--unique sounds but each still pleasing to hear.

Anyone who knows me well knows I'm a sucker for anything Italian and VdP proves again why I think Italian fragrances champion the French ones anyday.

Jaïpur Saphir by Boucheron

Hello hello.......

Jaipur Saphir is the first fragrance in which I finally experienced a real "accord." What I mean is, I "heard" the melody produced by the strumming of the guitar, and it made sense to me. I saw how each note played with the others to produce that melody and I "saw" the mathematical/lyrical composition to it.

JS is soft, fresh and at first I thought this will wear off in a minute or two. Then, at unexpected intervals throughout the day, "dddrrrrran......." the guitar strums.

Ok, so what am I actually smelling here? Cardamom, milk, vanilla, peaches, roses, magnolias, cashews, cinnamon, a touch of coriander, or maybe cumin, seed.

Has anyone here ever had Kashmiri tea( the pink one)? It's a little like JS. Yum.

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I don't know Chergui; don't know if I ever will. I'm only posting in response to BayKAT's review.

I figure any scent that can give you pleasant memories of a cantankerous 60 year old man must be great!

Cheers!

Kashmir Spice by Ava Luxe

It can be hit-or-miss sometimes with Ava luxe for me, but Serena is always first on the list for me when I want something out of the ordinary, or if I want something ordinary done extra-ordinary!

That being said, Kashmir spice is warm, elegant, exotic, intoxicating and comforting. IF YOU want to sample or purchase this (it's inexpensive) get a perfume oil ONLY. An EDP spray will easily overpower due to all the spice and wood. Easy, light handed application will go on forever. Outstanding.

Grottola's avatar

Marc Jacobs for Men by Marc Jacobs

Not the best fig I've smelled, but this was my first fragrance with fig in it as a teenager - I got a bottle of it around the time it came out. A buttery, grassy fig. Fresh greens. Creamy coconut, as noted by other reviewers. Eventually dries down to a buttery, albeit thin and watered down woods and musk on my skin. Stays close to the skin for the better part of it's lifetime, and smells a bit watered down. Certainly not horrible, but there are much better fig scents out there.....

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Epic Woman by Amouage

Here's another Amouage I have decided I love. Medicinally cool , pepper- like green with depth from the oud - lightly floral touches to smooth away the rough edges. Lovely bay and cinnamon . I actually like the Oud in this . The Oud note reminds me of the Oud note in Ajne's Desir - wonderful . It does remind me of Ormonde Jayne's Woman and as Epic Woman dries down, it also resembles Absinth by Nasomatto but Epic is less herbal. but I prefer Epic Woman . Nicely blended - this is a green magic forest scent . This is a scent the mythical "The Green Man ' might bestow on the women he favors.

07th October, 2010 (Last Edited: 08th October, 2010)

nonnative's avatar

Narciso Rodriguez for Her by Narciso Rodriguez

This parfume has got notes that are not easyly distinguishable. I couldn't say exactly what makes this scent smell of "woman". I can't detect fruits, flowers, or woods in its olfactive pyramid. There is a sort of unrecognisable ingredient that makes NR4her a sofisticated product. In my opinion this is a sign of modernity. Too bitter and "dirty" for me, but very nice.

07th October, 2010 (Last Edited: 18th October, 2010)

Antaeus by Chanel

Just perfect...Besides M7 this is one of my favorites, and i can use it even on summer. This is only for males not for teenagers.

Santos by Cartier

this is beautiful, can be used in hot weather and it is virtually inoffensive. However it doesn´t last for more than 2 hours. Be aware that santos is totally different of concentree version. Concentree is highly male scent, its drier, less smooth, much more herbal/woody and lasts for 8-12 hours swithing notes and do not just fade away. This version has a powdery drydown. Concentree has a resinous base plus the herbals that stand till the end. Antaeus is more similar to this standard version. Concentree is more in the drakkar dry way, some told me concentree smelled i little of polo green, showing me that concentree is good, bad maybe people nowadays would feel Conc. more agressive because of the marine/toilet aura that rules market today...

Santos Concentrée by Cartier

I bought this by a blind buy, because i liked the standard version of santos. Totally different. The Standard version has a powdery basenote, almost none herbal (except the first minutes) and good spices that daoen´st last much. 1 hour and its gone. But its heart it so good that its acceptable this "fast go-away". The concentree is another perfume... It smell´s horrible the first seconds, really smells cheap, but soon this bad smell go away, within minutes, what you get is heavy herbal notes and good spice too, but the dry herbs are soo strong that i wold prefer the heart of the standard version... But this concentree lasts for as long as 8-12 hours. Basenotes are resinous or woody/herbals depending of the weather, not smooth as antaeus, its stronger. It will dare you discovering the occult notes...

karisuma's avatar

Cuba Black by Cuba Paris

Feels like a mix of Azzaro Pour Homme and Versace Black Jeans (the "cooked cabbage" smell is here). Like the latter, it is a very dark fragrance that lives up to its name - "Black". Not particularly enjoyable to me, but somehow more wearable than Black Jeans.

MJW77's avatar

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

Do people really spray this on leave the house and think they smell good?

I wore B*Men once having purchased it blind (NOT recommended!) and was conscious of how unusual and unpleasant I smelt. It bascially smells like a bag of Liquorice Allsorts. It was cheap, presumably because no one was buying it, but still a waste of money. It's certainly my least favourite fragrance of those that I own.

There are so many great fragrances out there it really isn't worth bothering with this weird concoction. Awefully strange stuff.