Fragrance Reviews from October 2010

irfan's avatar

Malaysia Malaysia

Eau Lente by Diptyque

Yup, the drydown is similar to Commes des Garcon's EDP. What i like most is the opening, the first minute after sprayed, very sensual.

bonsai's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Sexy Angelic by Honoré de Prés

It started of with a strong blast of almond paste conjured by a whisper of white flowers. So far so good, but it was gone literally in 5 minutes. I couldn't detect anything afterwards. So thumbs down.

Persolaise's avatar

Voyage d'Hermès by Hermès

Voyage d'Hermès opens with an immediate, gently bracing freshness: green citrus notes - particularly a delicious lime - smile their way into the air around you, followed by a hint of Ellena's trademark glassy, white musks. Then comes the most interesting part: there's a burst of mango peel, which leads to a scattering of fenugreek, which is then followed by shavings of unostentatious woods, after which a spicy sweetness starts making its presence felt, only to be countered by what comes across to me as the elegant dryness of saffron. Those who take an interest in M Ellena's work will probably enjoy a wry chuckle at this point, because, as has already been pointed out by several other reviewers, the voyage with which we're being presented is essentially a hop from one Ellena fragrance to another, with extended stays in his Jardin scents. The final destination is, unsurprisingly, the land of the aforementioned musks. This is perhaps something of a let down after the excitement of the first few minutes, and you do spend several moments wondering whether you've really arrived or you're stuck in some waiting lounge somewhere. But after a short while, you realise that, wherever they may be, your surroundings are impeccably elegant - if slightly bloodless - so you shrug your shoulders and just sit back and relax.

Voyage is marketed as a unisex scent and whilst its classically sleek, luggage-tag-shaped bottle is suitably non-gender-specific, I wonder if Hermès shouldn't have stuck their leathered necks out on the line and declared it an all-out masculine. The move might have aligned the fragrance a little out of the 'safe' territory it seems to want to inhabit and it would probably have made it a more intriguing addition to the market. Still, it's a solid piece of work and will no doubt prove popular to those who don't wish to attract too much attention to themselves. I just happen to prefer voyages that kick up a little more dust.

Persolaise's avatar

L'Eau Serge Lutens by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

According to the (unintentionally?) comical presentation on the SL site, this new creation is supposed to smell like the world's most exclusive soap. Its aim is to convey a long-lasting sensation of wearing clean clothes that have just been taken off a wind-swept washing line. Sure enough, the first whispering notes are ozonic and marine-like. There's a hint of borderline-salty, aquatic transparency, a touch of melon green and the faintest wisps of citrus peel. There's a sprinkling of sweetness. But all is bloodless and quiet. You wonder if the whole thing's going to vanish almost as soon as it's arrived. And then, after a few minutes, you realise that, actually, nothing else is going to happen. The rabbit has been pulled out of the hat and is staring you in the face. You've been given the familiar top notes... and the trick is that they're going to be sustained all the way through to the end.

As far as technical accomplishments go, this is not unimpressive: the sweetness and softness increase - culminating in a translucent vetiveryl drydown - but the central soapiness does remain faithful. However, it also makes you realise that perhaps top notes are as bracing as they are precisely because they're fleeting. Smelling as though you've just stepped out of the shower after having spent the day on an Atlantic beach is undeniably wonderful, but only for a few minutes. Drag the experience on for several hours and the effect you achieve is more like being forced to spend a night on the same beach and not managing to fall asleep because of the drone of a mosquito that just refuses to go away.

catnip_too's avatar

White Aoud by Montale

The opening of White Aoud is fairly pungent, especially when smelled for the first time, and for the first couple of moments, it even felt somewhat chemical to me. The relatively sharp (medicinal?) top notes persist for at least about 10-15 minutes, and at this time, spices and flowers begin to compete for attention as well.

At first they emerge rather tentatively, but gradually, the combination of saffron and rose takes the center stage. After about an hour or even longer, the fragrance settles down to its compelling, smooth, velvety base. The rose here is dark and inky—a rose with dusky petals, laced with saffron, which makes it slightly salty, before I can feel the touch of warm amber and the subtle vanilla surrounding it as a veil in the nascent night.

Sillage is quite powerful, and it lasts for a long time on me.

Sportsman5's avatar

Rochas Man by Rochas

Positives: Sweet chocolate/ coffee dry down that both women and men notice and compliment on. Has a decent scent life of 6+ hours.

Possible Drawbacks: the opening smells very sugary and sweet. Therefore, it can potentially be cloying for the first 30 minutes. The dry down is close to the skin.

Overall: This is an amazing date or intimate occasion scent. However, it is limited in use due to the significant decrease in projection after the first hour.

Grottola's avatar

Weekend for Men by Burberry

Burberry Weekend for Men is a wonderful uplifting citrus fragrance that lasts a while for a fragrance of this type.

Cheap, too!

07 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 12 February, 2011)

Indie_Guy's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

This is one of the giants of the modern age of perfumery.

There are so many different things going on in this scent and really it's almost a wonder that it works at all, let alone flawlessly. Like the women's version, it's immediately identifiable. It's also very, very strong and lasts a long time.

The reason why this scent is such an enigma is because of the push/pull discordant notes that fit snugly between the sweet, foolproof notes. It's hard to screw up a scent with chocolate, vanilla, bergamot and patchouli-- but it's also hard to make such a palatable melange of ingredients rise above the status of cheap room candle and rise to the ranks of the true perfume classics.

Tar, helional and coffee bean are the three notes that make this scent what it is.

The tar is such an unusual note and it does so much to balance out the gourmand heavy nature of this scent. It remains into the drydown, very necessary to keep the whole scent from turning into a melted Snickers bar.

The helional is another odd structural note in this one. Usually helional is employed in aquatic/marine accords without feeling out of the ordinary. Here though, it gives a strange, strong "seaweedy" feel, that evokes almost a dirty lagoon. Strange, but necessary-- it gives a time and place, as well as a slightly worn in feel to the scent as a whole.

Coffee beans are used here to give a bitter balance to the chocolate/caramel/vanilla base. I get the wonderful scent of opening a bag of freshly roasted whole bean coffee and taking in the deep, slightly bitter aroma.

Patchouli has its own inner tension and it works very well as the heart of this scent. Warm, yet having mint facets (and being combined with peppermint here) it has a coolness too.

There's a very rich gourmand quality to this scent, and it evokes more than just the sum of its parts. I smell a busy yet relaxed kitchen around holiday season-- there is some warm sweet anise bread in the oven. There are some after dinner liqueurs lingering on the palate. A kind of anticipation of loved ones being near soon.

I don't wear A*Men very often, but rather save it for special times, usually around the holidays. Believe it or not, as strong as it is--I've smelled it in low doses on people at the gym and it was nice to smell. I don't recommend it as a gym/warm weather scent, but some people can pull it off. It's a scent constructed of massive contrasts. Anything but lightweight, somehow it finds balance and like two Sumo wrestlers on opposite ends of a see-saw, their feet barely touch the ground.

Incredible.

Joe_Frances's avatar

Windsor by Creed

Windsor come off as very powdery and "old man" or "old lady-ish" on me. I didn't find it terribly captivating except in the dry down and ultimate evolution which will be discussed below. It is, however, tenacious in its staying power, especially for a Creed, which I experience as lasting about as long as a May fly. In fact, I currently have no Creed fragrances, because I have the (unreasonable?) expectation that a fragrance should last a couple of hours, at least. Well, anyway, Windsor lasted all day and well into the night. Amazing durability. The rose was funny and funky on me. It reminded me of Il Profumo Touregh, which I did not like either. The lime/juniper/gin whatever was a jumble, and I didn't care for it much. What I did like was the way it evolved during the day. This fragrance doesn't go from one thing to another, what it does do is that it drops off one or two notes at a time over the course of the day and becomes simpler, and less complex, and more enjoyable in the process of reduction of notes. I liked it much more at 9 PM than I did at 1 PM. Ten elements were down to three or maybe two. I thought this was a fascinating way to evolve a fragrance, and showed a lot of prowess in the maker. Still, would I wear it? Would I spend the money for this? No, I don't think so. I didn't find it captivating, urgently needed, or desired above all others. No, it wasn't my Mrs. Simpson. I wouldn't give up the throne for this, or even around $600 dollars for that matter. It is interesting, thought, very, very interesting.

's avatar

Eau du Soir by Sisley

Unpleasant, loud, coarse. I've been disliking it for ages and hissed a sigh of relief when I found out that there are other people out there who hate it, too.
    It's the kind of "posh perfume" in a beautiful bottle shop-assistants love to promote when they come to realize that you are mad about scents...

Mistawho's avatar

Reflection Man by Amouage

I own a bottle of Amouage Reflection Man. This is a great fragrance and I would where this anytime, all the time! To me this smells really sexy.

moreda's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Arabian Nights - Pure Oud by By Kilian

i must say... it is in a way pure oud but not purely oud.
    i get the barnyardish Cambodia oud in the opening.
    but then it disappears and then....................... the big question mark!

where is the oud ?
    was it there or am i tired not using my nose and missing the point of it being very refind ?

for me... it is not worth buying.

Sugandaraja's avatar

The Smell of Weather Turning by Gorilla Perfume

Rosewood and mint and something... smoky, leathery, and maybe just a little bit indolic? I really can't stand this accord. It reminds me of ELDO's Charogne meet's Tauer's Lonestar Memories; like someone with bad breath chewed spearmint gum and spit it out onto a dirty bar floor covered in sawdust. It's not dirty per se, it's just that the notes themselves lend themselves to some very negative assocations. This truly makes me wretch; I feel queasy trying to inhale and describe it, in a way not too far off the way the infamous Secretions Magnifique effects me. Perhaps it wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so strong and piercingly sweet in addition to smelling so %#@! weird.

Swanky's avatar

Pleasures for Men by Estée Lauder

Especially in light of the quality of other Lauder fragrances and their Aramis subsidiary (Lauder For Men, Havana, Aramis) this one is a disappointment. I'd call it a poor man's Eternity For Men, except it costs as much as Calvin Klein's bestseller.

It fades so quickly that it is hard to address the notes. Sweet and synthetic like CK Eternity - it must be the "Sky Air Accord" that predominates and makes it smell like...not much. I don't need a fragrance to be hyper-masculine (I enjoy Fleur Du Male, Mitsouko, Jean Nate, among others) but if it isn't it should at least be artful. Light-sillage, close to the vest scents also are fine when the stuff on simmer is of top quality (see Bulgari Man, Derby or Monsieur De Givenchy for reference). Pleasures does not qualify. For $32, one should smell a bit better than a Hot Dog On A Stick lemonade.

jujy54's avatar

Enjoli by Revlon

My gramma bought me this when it came out, and it is the first fragrance in which I experienced the phenomenon of dry-down. It started as a nice enough floral, but it was that amazingly powdery yet cool note which persisted hours later that just fascinated me. I should try to scare up another bottle of it.

Nezdelupe's avatar

Spanish Leather by Geo F Trumper

I love this juice. It's not as sophisticated or as complex as many others but it is addictive in its warm, classic, slightly soapiness. It seems to be widely appreciated by the women in my office, which is more than can be said for one or two of my other frag choices. On my skin, it's a mix of a warmer, more friendly version of Creed's English Royal Leather combined with shavings of Imperial Leather soap. I've only just rediscovered Trumpers, having been introduced to them by my Dad, many, many years ago. I'm in the same camp as someone else writing here in that Trumpers as a house forms a triumvirate of favourites, the others being Guerlain and Creed. Yummy.

vintage*red's avatar

Balahé by Léonard

At the initial blast of greens, anise & bergamot, I was VERY impressed. Unfortunately, this exhilaration lasted for about 15 seconds. Next came pineapple & plums, quickly followed by jasmine, rose & vanilla. Soon, the whole thing turned into sweet, fruity, powder.....Bubblegum! I am so disappointed.

Grottola's avatar

Carlos Santana for Men by Carlos Santana

Well, I do love Carlos Santana's music.....my dad raised me on those first three Santana albums.

Concerning the fragrance, I received this as a Christmas gift a few years ago, and instantly liked it a lot - not one of my top favorites or anything groundbreaking, but a wonderful celebrity fragrance. Red is an accurate color to distinguish this juice by; cinnamon, apples, vanilla and musk conjure up images of Christmas or fall and apple pie. For the first half hour, at least on me, the vanilla and musk sort of intertwine with the apple to create a delicious little Maraschino cherry-accord. Definitely a cold weather fragrance. I smell a bit of nutmeg as well, but cinnamon is the big spice here - a sweet, spicy sillage monster for the first half hour, at the most, but it eventually dries down, becomes not as spicy, closer to the skin, and reveals a sexy base of musk and woods. Remains sweet throughout, albeit masculine. Lasts 4 to 6 hours on me, probably my favorite celebrity fragrance so far besides the similar (in color, scent, bottle shape, and ethnicity!) Spirit by Antonio Banderas..

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Private Collection - L'Oiseau de Nuit by Parfumerie Generale

An interesting scent with liquer of davana - which is why I decided to test it. The top notes smell like sweet fruit candy wrapped in thick plastic. Not a bad smell but not the best. It becomes more transparent as the top notes burn off, hanging on to the sweetness and becoming ambery . Not bad ,not the best.

presch1's avatar

Lonestar Memories by Tauer

This stuff is haunting and addictive. There is definitely the smoke. But it is the smoke of a deeply dry floral wood. I've never smelled this wood in real life, but please show me where I can get some.

I'm actually not a fan of "smokey" scents as such...this is the only one I ever felt moved to purchase. But the total experience is much more than smoke. It is deep and soulful and expansive. It does go on with a bit of petrochemical whiff rather than straight up wood smoke, but that quickly changes. For me, this doesn't choke or smell like BBQ'd meat. There is something rounded about it at all times.

As it gets into the heart, it goes floral and lightly resinous and woody mixed with the fresh air of a rugged outdoors...outdoors in the sense of a floral masculine dust? Clean smokey dust if that makes any sense. I have a difficult time discerning the base notes as separate entities, they blend seamlessly in a slightly sweet, slightly spicy floral and ghostly wood smoke. The drydown lingers and calms for hours. This has become one of my favorites.

pearlfingering's avatar

Palas Atena by Ayala Moriel

Many of my favorite scents are here, and this perfume conveys the strength that you would expect from the Greek goddess of war and wisdom. Palas Atena opens with a medicinal note that reminds me of an ointment for scrapes and burns my grandparents kept on hand called "black salve" or pine tar. Not at all unpleasant but surprising nonetheless. As the scent unfolds, the warming cinnamon still stands out. There is something earthy and soft like a smoldering campfire. The orange and champaca have real staying power. The base notes are beautifully subtle. It's an intriguing oriental and wonderful for autumn wear.

pearlfingering's avatar

Rainforest by Ayala Moriel

This is a very sexy fragrance on a man who prefers the more traditional colognes but is looking to try something new. Reading these notes and going by the name alone, one would expect something cool and refreshing. The opening notes with take you by surprise, and odysseusm gives a good account of this reaction. Yes, the opening is green, but there is a good dose of bergamot and ginger. You smell hay immediately with these top notes, and it is a bold, warm scent rather like a steamy cup of earl grey tea, but in a pine forest. The green coniferous notes are vital and powerful with the bergamot and citrus opening. Violet leaf lends a sparkling note to the heart, which is romantic florals but always true to the overall evergreen theme. This scent is original, tasteful and adventurous, a rather sporty chypre. The drydown is pleasant and calm.

Late-Hit's avatar

GapBody Coconut Tuberose by Gap

What an interesting surprise! This is dark and complex, with an unmistakable earthy background. Coconut Tuberose is very mature scent, and one not likely to appeal to those looking for a 'light and bright' floral.

Late-Hit's avatar

GapBody Velvet Bloom by Gap

Hmmm... Not what I expected, but after sampling Coconut Tuberose I suppose I should not have been surprised. This is really very good. In some ways, Velvet Bloom reminds me of a toned down version of Samsara, complete with sandalwood drydown.

pansylady's avatar

Fracas by Robert Piguet

White flower heaven- sweet miracle of love, at last I've found you...!

Don't mind me- I'm excited! This is the first fragrance that is older than me that makes me wax rhapsodically!

It is a floral paradox- despite being incredibly potent and longlasting, and a sillage-meister to boot, it is as sweet and traditionally feminine as a valentine heart with a doily behind it, but is sophisticated as well-

I don't get the femme fatale of the nighttime vibe from this one, as many others do- I think Fracas has a clean and soapy quality, making it just fine for the day light hours- there's a spearmint vibe in the top notes, and then a floral soapiness that reminds me so much of Oscar-

I can not get over just how potent this is- I have a 1 cc vial, and have used less than a fifth of it so far, and have gotten two full days of pleasure from this-

Mr. E Stigma's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

I avoided getting this for so long because of the Cool Water "thing". I feel silly because in a way GIT reminds me of a lot of fresh and or sporty scents. Aspen, Allure Homme Blanche, Bleu De Chanel and yeah even Cool Water to name a few. They're not flat out copies but similar like white cheddar to parmesan cheese.

On my skin this lasts for about 7 hours, though I can detect it on my clothes for much longer, sometimes the following day. I like a lot.

1872 for Men by Clive Christian

I smell butter and only butter. And this is the most expensive perfume company? I was expecting a lot more than this. What a letdown.

Number 1 for Men by Clive Christian

This one is the only CC I have smelled with any character. A powdery floral, a bit on the fem side but not offensive. I would say skip this and get prada amber or burberry brit and you get the same concept. Not a very masculine fragrance by any means. For the money they ask you would think you are buying a superior purfume, but you are not. CC might be the worlds most expensive perfume company but they are far from being the BEST. Creed still reigns supreme in my eyes. But if you have the cash , give it a chance, maybe it will work for you.

X for Men by Clive Christian

Very light, warm smelling. I am not impressed by this fragrance. Price does not automatically mean high quality.

informer_at's avatar

Austria Austria

Giorgio for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills

Giorgio is the brother of Kouros.