Fragrance Reviews from October 2010

PaladinX's avatar

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

I would have given this scent a thumbs up on the scent alone. It has a lot of wild and unique fragrance notes inside. They are very well balanced and blended, and you get a nice sweet dark cherry/plum vibe along with a mixture of spices, vanilla and soft leather. The only main problem with this cologne is the projection and longevity is not good at all. It is a very weak and subtle fragrance. For the cooler months in the winter this might lack the staying power. If this was stronger, I think it would be an excellent winter fragrance. I say john varvatos would be more suited for the fall months as it is. Overall nice smell, unique, Great mixture of fruit and spices.. and the price is great. You can get it very affordable online. Downside, Projection and longevity. Certainly not the panty dropper, however, Maybe great for a night out for a couple hours at a fancy restaurant.

Pamplemousse's avatar

Noir Epices by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Hmm, this is really quite nice! I wasn't too sure about it at first; when it goes on, it smells a bit soapy, and for all the fancy packaging, just makes me think of those little plastic bottles with the dippers for blowing bubbles. But, wait! Given a little time, this fades, and the spiciness gains strength. Once this happened, I liked it almost instantly. Why? Because (to my mind, anyway), it has similarities to Habit Rouge, which I wore almost constantly for a year. Later on, it's similar to something else, and it's Givenchy Gentleman (the patchouli). It's not too dry either, which is nice (I couldn't get into Aramis for this reason). All over, this is complex and exotic stuff. Strength it certainly has, which is great because I only bought a sample and bang for buck appeals. But I also don't have to worry about it fading.

Okay, this is a really basic review from a noob, but Noir Epices struck me enough to bother writing one. For me, this scent really appeals, as one I'd wear just because I liked it and not for anyone else. I catch a whiff of it and it's nice, comforting, subtle but distinctive. Distinctive is good.

Skweekah's avatar

Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

Not quite sure where the fecal note comes from. Heck, I cant even smell a fecal note in Yatagan or some of the other fragrances people describe as being of an excrement genre. So, no fecal note in this one. Perhaps a little leather, no faeces. This is a safe fragrance. A bit anonymous in my opinion. If you smell faeces in this one, Kouros must must be synonymous with someone throwing a handful of dung right in ones face. Please readers, douche your nasal cavities or see a doc. Me thinks some people on this board are suffering from a chronic respiratory infection or something. Not being crass...
    Skweekah

Persevero's avatar

First by Van Cleef & Arpels

Powerful, flowery and old-fashioned beginning (it instantly brought to mind a wealthy woman in late middle-age who probably has a Pekinese); after an hour or so it dried down to a vanilla/tonka bean-plus-flower mixture that added up to slightly decayed hyacinths. Distinctive and long-lasting but definitely not for me.

Persevero's avatar

Idylle by Guerlain

Strange that reviewers don't regard this as a chypre, because for me the citrus top-note is very striking (definitely petitgrain, perhaps neroli?) with a floral middle (mostly rose) and a sandalwoody base - that amounts to a chypre, non? After five hours it has faded to a dried-rose-plus-sandalwood and perhaps amber scent which is pleasant but unremarkable.

Q8Y_Nomad's avatar

Kuwait Kuwait

Aventus by Creed

I certainly wasnt going to give it the thumbs up cuz many of the local perfumeries here managed to make an almost identical fragrances to the Aventus and they cost somewhere around 10$ for a 500ml bottle -- I am not sure about the notes that they use though -- I often use these cheap fragrances to spray my bed sheets and other house garments --- however the number of compliments I have recieved today by strangers let alone friends after few sprays from the Aventus made me feel compelled to give it the thumbs up -- And since its my first review on BN I just want to say that I have nothing but the utmost respect to the reviewers whom many of their grat reviews were behind many of my recent fragrance purchases...

On a different note try spraying SMW and then top it off by using the rare Indian Oud incense......I was at a club in dubai and many of the gals wanted to hug me cuz "they cant have enough of this divine smell".....just a little story i wanted to share......OH yeah and KAERN!! nothing made me wanna buy the Aventus more than the last two lines of your review :p

Thanx all and peace out !!

rasputin's avatar

L'Air de Rien by Miller Harris

I've purchased a full flacon of this.

A most unusual modern scent, no other scent like it. What is interesting is that none of the notes suggest anything alive, living, growing, floral, fruity, green, edible; no, the entire scent is an exploration of inanimate, and even old things. this is not a pejoration, for the result is quite pleasing.

Bright, oleaginous opening notes--- again, devoid of any citrus or botanical or fruit allusions---- smell very much like the solid yellow paste wax used to polish parquet wood floors... mingled with a sweet pipe tobacco. A dryish amber emerges, rather masculine, wedded to notes of "stale joss sticks" (as Luca Turin puts it), a curious leather note reminiscent of a newly opened can of tennis balls; a hint of a musky, not unpleasant human fetor.

The drydown is a curiously intimate, pleasant, nutty funk, reminiscent of dirty human hair and a quaint, barbershop-py midcentury men's macassar, like WILDROOT OIL.

And there you have it! The end result is a pleasingly funky ambered-leather, with a tight skin-level sillage. Leans toward the masculine, but is surely unisex. The ultimate lazy Saturday afternoon scent to be worn with jeans, t-shirt and leather jacket.

Many have said that this scent reminds them of London in the 60's or early 70's. That is a very apt observation... I would agree that there's something "Midcentury" in L'AIR DE RIEN. Plenty of people will not like this scent; it's definitely for sophisticated noses. The pricetag is also quite expensive: $160 for 100ml.

colormechris's avatar

Chaps (new) by Chaps [Ralph Lauren]

Why?
    Why did they do this?
    Why take away a classic and replace it with something that smells like twenty other things.
    Why did they call this Chaps?
    Why discontinue the original in the first place? Okay, maybe the bottle needed an update; but the fragrance didn't. It was unique and beautiful and masculine.
    Mr. Lauren, I'm starting not to like to you. I'm starting to think you've never been on a horse in your life. I'm beginning to think you're a poseur.
    I have a new scent for you...it's called Bronx Cheer.
    Now bring back the original or the pony gets it!

Grottola's avatar

Adidas Moves by Adidas

A good cheapie that I wore in high school and still wear on occasion today - fresh and pleasant, mint wakes you up, with spice and some fruitiness over a musky base. The best Adidas scent.

Grottola's avatar

Forest Rain by Kiehl's

With the negative reviewers claiming this smells like either a shampoo or very feminine, I would assume this scent depends on one's skin.

To me, this is more masculine than feminine. It is a rich, musky/floral with vetiver and detectable spicy woods that give it roughness, quite similar to Mugler Cologne, however Mugler Cologne, to me, actually smells like a soap, and is a lot "cleaner". This is fresh and clean like a soap, but goes beyond. It definitely has an outdoorsy feel to it, though, as SirSlarty said. Lasts a decent time on me, but surprisingly as much as I can smell it on myself, the sillage to other people is poor. However, don't let it get you down. Smells quite classy with rough edges, much like Kiehl's Pour Homme Essence. I find this to be more masculine than feminine, however the floral musk creates a bit of a sweet "Maraschino Cherry" accord as I described with Carlos Santana for Men. Eventually dries down to a smoother musk and woods.

sjohnjay's avatar

Aventus by Creed

Extremely masculine and sophisticated. Excellent longevity.
    Easily the best male CREED offering in 20+ years.
    Good for day & evening wear.
    Aventus has an awesome oakmoss base, which stabilizes everything on top.
    I *hate* apples when used in fragrance, so I was apprehensive about Aventus.
    Fortunately, the apples are done tastefully, lending a supportive note, as opposed to being a prominent note.
    This will probably have to satiate all male CREED fans until 2027; as their good releases are increasingly fewer and farther between.

pearlfingering's avatar

Charisma by Ayala Moriel

Osmanthus is one of my favorite scents that I associate with soap, but it is wonderful in the heart here with green tea. The jasmine sambac just sings with the attar kewda, a combination I enjoyed in her fragrance Gigi. With a grapefruit and spearmint opening, you have a tart blast of freshness. It is youthful, dewy and cheerful. But this is where it starts getting interesting. The powdery drydown with ambrette and tonka bean reminds me of lipstick and a prom night corsage with baby's breath. This scent is velvety after a dazzling entrance, elegant, flirty and chic. At the very end, there is tarragon and honey.

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Sculpture Homme by Nikos

Airy, sweet like a clean white sheet on a wind or a white greek temple with all the white sculptures in it. Diesel Plus Plus masculine is a very good copy of this fragrance.

irfan's avatar

Malaysia Malaysia

Jammin by Réminiscence

This smells like marijuana (main note) + pink pepper + a tiny bit of vanilla. A bit linear but that's just good coz it's pleasing from the start! It's something that you won't find in any other fragrance but at the same time very wearable coz it's not harsh/edgy/heady at all. Leaning towards masculine, but ladies can pull this off too.

informer_at's avatar

Austria Austria

Michael for Men by Michael Kors

Very simillar to Mont Blanc Exeptionell, weaker sillage and longevity. Nothing special about it. Boring, says nothing about the person that wearing it.

nathanthomas50's avatar

7 de Loewe by Loewe

I believe they called it 7 because they say it only has 7 ingredients in it !

Simple - but i liked it!

Moshe's avatar

Lithuania Lithuania

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

Today I have been wearing Bleu de Chanel that I got as a small sample bottle when I bought my regular cologne CD Fahrenheit... you know what, Bleu de Chanel is very wearable cologne indeed... I would call it a modern classic, my impression is that Bleu is reformulated original Allure with a slight hint of Egoiste Platinum... Currently it's a King in its class... Quite safe and really good smelling cologne, yet you can sense it's made of expensive ingredients. In general, cologne should be wearable and smell good in real life on real man - Bleu de Chanel is. Very unique? - probably not... but not all men want to wear those "unique" and very often a bit suspiciously smelling colognes... A man himself should be unique, while his cologne just have to smell good. Thumbs Up from me - Bleu de Chanel

Emporio Armani Night He by Giorgio Armani

For me this is the perfect scent for wear during night parties or cold days.
    It's well balanced, woody, not to sweet (I hate "oversweet scents") and I got so many complements from women. Lasts no longer than 3 hours, yet it was for many years my favorite perfume.

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

Too sweet, too feminine, too fruity, milky drydown......kind of nauseating....still...it will glue on your skin.
    I've bought it blindly and I didn't like it at all...
    Here's a tip: if you buy it eventhough, spray it once!!!!

Boss in Motion Edition Electric by Hugo Boss

Very orangy scent, freshmint, and nicely balanced. It's not a blockbuster but fells nice.
    Not too sweet, as I like, but kind of teenager freagrance.
    Has that "not too strong"scent, present in all Boss perfumes.
    I recommend for men under 40.

Miss Balmain by Pierre Balmain

If you like contrast or to compare Leather Scents
    Gres Cabochard and Miss Balmain are perfect examples Miss Balmain is Prim
    fruity sweet bright naive lively a Good
    Girl scent Feminine and Represents
    Daytime. Cabochard is dark rebelious
    masculine mysterious woody sexual
    vampish bad girl smokey tabacco
    and represent the Night.

this is a nice scent but does not grab me like Cabochard. i think there is too much Coconut mixed with Leather is a
    bad idea but whould'nt buy it again.

Artemisia by Penhaligon's

I can smell the predominace of apple
    and the faint smell of Vanilla those
    two scents dominate the other notes
    some people have an talent to seperate
    the other notes easely i have i bit of an hard time with it I Can smell Eather
    2 notes or 3 notes out of 12.
    this is one of the Plain Jane scent
    from my collection a bit dull.

Eternity by Calvin Klein

Calvin Klein's Eternity is the cooly
    reserved younger Sister to Obsession
    but neverless a simply Elegant Monocrome
    Shaped Bottle the best bottle design in
    my collection in my opinion.
    but the scent is a mixure of menthol
    & powder. which is not my favorite
    perfume but not the worst and i think
    it smell to synthentic. to be my Favorite.

Nuit de Noël by Caron

A softer less urbane version of Chanel no 5 this fragrance has a certian country elegance to it picturing oak
    trees lined side by side riding in a open horse drawn carrige to an elegant
    southern plantation full of white magnolias or going to a ketucky Derby wearing your finest.

The opening has a aldehydic note next
    is the scent of bergamot and at it's base is rose gives it a powdery texture
    unlike chanel no 5 caron's nuit de noel
    avoids the clinical amount of Aldehydes
    and sharp citruses and adds a warm amber note that is inviting.
    this is perfect also winter and christmas eve parties.

Deneuve by Catherine Deneuve

Bon Vivant to Mme Deneuve for this Lovely
    Perfume this fragrance brings out her Personalty Cool refined elegant worldly
    sophisticated and French.
    Mrs Deneuve the Legendary screen goddess
    released her only fragrance Deneuve in 1986 the top notes first applied to my skin is an hearty note of greens crisp and bright with the coolly sophistication of Aldehyde; the heart notes dries to a scent of dry muguet
    Rose for an Powdery texture and grounded
    Orris for an earthy feel.

I do smell a pervasive amount of Jasmine
    but the drydown is a bit oily but nice
    with Warm dry Sandalwood with a deep
    woodsy note of Oak moss musk for an masculine appeal and civet which i don't
    think it should be in this perfume but it is.

I love Catherine Deneuve she brings French Elegance and Womanhood to the screen.

Coco by Chanel

it's warm elegant and it's a league apart
    from the other Chanels. 95% of all Chanel perfume
    have a cold metallic aldehyde note, this one doesn't it's warm with the opening of
    spicy coriander orange blossoms semi-sweet
    mandarin oranges with the predominant note
    of juicy peach that which dominates Coco
    Chanel with nocturnal jasmine and delicate rose.

Mimose dries the middle note cloves with
    it's pungent scent clover with it's earthy greenish note then it become deeper and more resinous with the opening of warm and sweetish amber labdanum petals sandalwood dry with arid
    texture tonka bean makes it grounded
    and of course civet the animalistic
    styling finishes this scent beautifully.

This was made in the 1980's but it has a
    austere 1940's elegance in a time when there was Wartime shortages simple tailored elegance broad shoulders ala Joan Crawford clean lines and that what
    Chanel wanted simple and elegant nothing
    ultra feminine girlie with bright flowers just chic independent womanhood.

Tabu by Dana

When it was first released in 1932 it shocked and 78 years later since it's
    release it stills managed to shock it achieved immortality in a roster of classics like Chanel no 5 L'air du Temps
    Joy Shalimar L'Heure Bleu & youth Dew.

If you want a perfume that makes you want
    to stand out and take control this is the one this is not a shy meek little
    wallflower of a scent it's Assertive
    Loud Demands your attention in a dry spicy and smoky kind a way of if your a
    person who is or likes perfumes that does not want to make a wave skip it!.

when first sprayed to my skin i find a
    lot of Patchouli in a spicy fragrance
    which is a bit interesting and makes it dry and smoky but i really like is the
    Sandalwood mingles with orange and spices with the dry down of coriander
    for it's powder texture and of curse i can smell Mr Civet with all his Animalistic Glory. i bet June Miller
    wore this while seducing the Authoress
    Anais Nin.

the drydown becomes more earthier with the presence of orris patches of musk and mossy undertones of Oakmoss.
    but i admire is the design with it's
    noirish deco goth Logo TABU Channels
    Bogart to it finest the flacon simple
    and elegant i love the color of the liquid it reminds me of a evening sunset
    over Los Angeles in the 1940's.

this perfume is rich & luxurious But i
    don't understand why is it so cheap on the price and made it in to a Drugstore
    scent this perfume deserves to be expensive.

Dolce & Gabbana by Dolce & Gabbana

Floral Aldehydes for a modren crowd when you think of a aldehyde perfume you think of a granny scent not with this this perfume this one can balance between
    vintage and the modren it sweetins the
    the aldehydes with freesia and marigold
    to appeal to modren women but it also
    adds basil ivy coriador and sandalwood to add to a nostaligic zeiltgeist.
    it's spicy but not intrusive.

i whould be picturing on a sunday mass circa 1950's Italy where women all wear white conservativly and men with their sunday but conservative best suits but suddenly the church doors open and to everyone shock dismay a beautiful woman tall slender with short black hair and dark skin wearing a bright cherry red
    form fitting dress with a red hibiscus in her hair walks slowly to the pews and sat down and everyone gasped. or
    i think of Margo Channings in
    All About Eve in all about eve this whould be a perfect scent for her a diva of a perfume just next to chanel no 5.

Chaos by Donna Karan

Michael Kors, kors opens with sandalwood
    and white flowers first tuberose with it's acidity sweet accord and with gardenia
    Lily starts the middle notes with spicy
    sweet crispy note dries to an air of fresh
    fressia amber provides the drying down
    that is warm with musk that makes it a bit animalistic there is an leather undertone which lurks under the delicate
    white florals freesia sandalwood and other notes in this.

turns this into an mysterious with a bit
    of a clinical reputare.

Youth Dew by Estée Lauder

Estee Lauder's Youth Dew conjours dual contradictions Sex & Esoteric Seduction
    & Piety Animalistic & Innocent everyone
    has an different interpretation of what
    the scent means to an person and Youth
    Dew fits that Description.

It opens with an synthetic note of
    Aldehyde with an drying of orange and
    the shapness of Bergamot it dries to an
    middle note of Raw uncut and pervasive
    amount of Spices Ginger Curry every spice note is in this. then the fiery
    sweetness of cinnamon shows up to the
    senses.

The semi-spicy of the Cassia leaf mingles with the other spices with the
    spicy sweet notes of clove Florals are
    hard to detect because of the dominating notes of spices but i can
    dectect a faint note of rose.

The drydown is an intoxicating scent
    of Sandalwood incense Burning in Hindu
    Temples in front of an deity clouds of
    smoke floats allover the temple a strong
    grounded note of Patchouli supports the
    basenotes along with sweet amber and musk but i also can pick up some Civet
    it dose add an animalistic quality to it.

at the very bottom note of Balsam
    is an woodish scent has a bit of an
    fiery tinge.