Fragrance Reviews from November 2010

FlowerbyKenzo by Kenzo

I thought I lucked out with the opening of FlowerbyKenzo… I smelled an impressive modern floral accord featuring a clear, minimalist rose note with a background modernistic aquatic note. I say “lucked out” because I didn’t smell the expected violet note, which I tend to strongly dislike. But that feeling of relief lasted only about fifteen minutes. Then the violet note came on unrelentingly, to ruin the fragrance for me. By the time the heart notes have been achieved, the violet dominated in conjunction with a powdery opoponax, vanilla, and the white musk combination. The powder is charmingly feminine and of high quality. The opening was a crystal clear floral presentation – a simplistically beautiful rose-floral accord that is an admirable and creative achievement. I would think very highly of this fragrance if it weren’t for that unrelenting violet note.

Pure Vetiver by Azzaro

Pure Vetiver begins with a citrus accord – a grapefruit note combined with a strong ginger note. The citric character doesn’t last long but the ginger does – in fact it’s a pungent ginger note that lasts way too long IMO. In the middle accord there is a strong green coming through and in the background of the green is an aquatic note that and also lasts considerably too long because I don’t find its cheap synthetic nature to be enjoyable. For the base I don’t really get a lot of vetiver. Most of the time I get a powdery green which I assume is a mate note. On rare occasions, I get a slight rhubarb tinge to the green base. To me, ginger, powder, and synthetic aquatic notes don’t add up to very good vetiver fragrance; especially when there’s such a poor delivery of vetiver. Pure Vetiver doesn’t live up to its name.

Reflection Woman by Amouage

I suppose that Amouage has to offer a fragrance like this to add depth to and to round out their range of olfactory offerings… I also think it must be extremely difficult to create a “fresh” fragrance that weighs in on the “rich” and “elegant’ image that Amouage cultivates. Reflection Woman opens with a thin floral / green accord that probably is meant to be aquatic: Although I can believe the effort, it really doesn’t come across as very aquatic to me. The violet predominates in the accord to my nose, and continues to predominate for so long that I feel I have to call this scent “linear.” The amber / wood drydown is nice and the bit of the opening still remaining in the drydown unifies the fragrance... Reflection Woman is adequately structured, but I don’t find the fragrance very interesting and, without even considering its price, I can’t see it as a very good scent.

Amber by Essentially Me

I think that most of the Essentially Me fragrances I’ve tested open with a strong aromatic… recurrent enough to name "aromatic" as a house accord. The aromatic impact of Amber is quite herbal to my nose and it immediately reminded me of Histoire de Parfum’s Ambre 114. The herbal aromatics are not as finely honed as the aromatics in Ambre 114, and Amber has a determinable lavender that I believe messes up the accord a bit, so I have to give the nod to Ambre 114 as a cleaner, clearer presentation. It takes a long time for me to lose the aromatics in Amber… probably because there is a “balsamic incense” from the heart notes along with the herbs from the base also contributing to the aromatic impact. With all these aromatics, I fail to find the amber in Amber. I don’t mind the aromatics in this fragrance, but I don’t enjoy them, either; so my neutrality, added to the linearity of the fragrance gets me rather tired of this scent after about a half hour, but Amber does eventually settle down to be a pleasant, herbal, long-lasting skin scent… but still no amber. Not very exciting...

Chypre by Essentially Me

In the opening I get a strongly aromatic cedar woodnote that demolishes the florals and dominates the its tobacco note... absolutely no citrus. Because I am oversensitive to wood notes, the florals and citrus, and later the green, moss, and marine notes simply do not make it through the cedar dominance. I do get cumin, and that hangs on for the run of the fragrance. I like the cumin and I feel it’s about the only note in the fragrance that says “chypre” to me. Because chypre is my favorite genre, I originally thought that I would like to experience an oakmoss with a little more strength of character. In wearing the fragrance, I somehow, someway get a genuine chypre feel in it, and I have no idea why that is so, and I enjoy it. Just like many of the original women’s chypres, this Chypre is suitable for a man. Sexy.

Trade Wind by Essentially Me

Trade Wind starts out with an excellent light aquatic / green accord; its sillage is airy and wispy. After too short of time the accord loses the “aquatic” aspect and becomes greener, and it’s a green that doesn’t hold my interest – it was much more interesting when it held the aquatic note along with the green. I am highly pleased that I don’t smell the violet note that is listed for the middle level. Sometime in the middle level I get a trace of some resin in the background and then the scent goes floral and a bit grassy. I have decided that I enjoy Trade Wind. I didn’t appreciate it the first time I tried it – I thought it was just another floral aquatic, but the more I wear it, the more secrets I find hidden in its depths. Nice scent.

Classique by Essentially Me

Classique, as its name suggests, is structured and delivers more or less according to a tradition interpretation of perfume. It’s a soft floral with an aromatic feel hovering in the background. These Essentially Me aromatics are “spicy” from the geranium, coriander, bay and clove. The florals are soft and I don't get any citrus in the accords. I get a rather firm animalic note in Classique that is not accounted for in the note pyramid. Classique moves in the direction of elegance and its aromatic sillage is genuinely intriguing. Excellent fragrance that seems very wearable.

La Joupe by Essentially Me

La Joupe’s opening is somewhat scary: Big florals with a big, big, big musk threatening in the background. Oriental in genre, but not excessively sweet, it presents a smoky, guiac background that makes La Joupe both classy and sexy. The florals, which explode in the opening, do not seem to last as a dominant part of the fragrance… the musk (reinforced by a smoky patchouli) gains and holds supremacy to the end of the fragrance… but I don’t find that the musk throws very much sillage: It’s strong when sniffed close to the skin, but not in the sillage. La Joupe provides a lovely white floral accord with a guaiac-labdanum background which I catch in the form of light whiffs off the skin: I love its soft woody-resinous-aromatic aura.

White Blooms by Essentially Me

White Blooms is a light, pleasant white floral… but not your typical white floral. To my nose it is much less floral than green – the florals are almost completely dominated by the green balsam note. The major impact of the fragrance is a very nice accord but it is a bit lacking character, as far as I’m concerned. It’s light and attractive… it’s not synthetic or otherwise disagreeable… but it is just not quite fetching enough to earn a thumb’s up.

Fauve by Essentially Me

As in several others of the Essentially Me fragrances that I tested, in the opening I get a strong set of aromatic notes… this time the aromatics are woody notes which overpower the listed opening notes of vanilla and jasmine. You can’t prove it by me that there is vanilla and jasmine in the opening… nor rose in the heart notes. All I get is wood and patchouli – quite aromatic but also a bit too generic and uninspired, and this accord lasts through to the end. Although I usually love wood fragrances, Fauve just doesn’t work for me.

Souk by Essentially Me

Probably my favorite of the Essentially Me fragrances, but I really don’t see it as an exotic Middle Eastern scent… ok, maybe I could call it a bit edgy… Souk is the first of the EM fragrances that I don’t find dominated by an aromatic atmosphere. This one has the most solid note-and-accord-presentation of the EM fragrances I’ve experienced so far: I get a strong wood opening. I get an elegant spicy rose accord in the heart notes, which seems to extend into and become the base. I do not get the resinousness that I expected in the base, but what I do get is very unique, interesting, and highly wearable. At the skin level, Souk does not seem to be overly strong, but it does present an unique sillage that is long lasting and that moves in the direction of “exotic.”

Ken_Russell's avatar

Romania Romania

Lynx Vice by Axe / Lynx

Surprised by this one, actually noticing that, while not being groundbreaking, it is overall not a bad scent.
    To my nose, I seem to detect some citrus and some soapy notes, in fact more crisp, much less offensive and dramatic, than its title promises.

I expected to find a naughty, blatantly sensual, even "trendy antisocial", sublimely subversive fragrance and instead found something reminding me of an- oddly- not to generic casual frag, sporty but in a more upmarket way, very zen and also discreet enough to almost have potential for a solid day-by-day all-rounder.

Ken_Russell's avatar

Romania Romania

Axe Instinct / Lynx Instinct by Axe / Lynx

Flesh, flesh, flesh, sweat, sweat, sweat, but once you manage to be patient and wait until the final drydown kicks in, some vapid notes of leather and winter spices become remotely perceptible.
    Nothing remarkable, most likely a very commercial attempt to create a popular spiced frag.

cheryl's avatar

So Pretty by Cartier

This is a straight up, here I am, rose chypre. It has glassy/crystalline presence to it that I attribute to what it is not..not sweet, not fruitocious, not incensy, not artificial. I believe it a Rose de Mai I smell. It reminds me of Andy Tauer's Rose Chypre (his is less conventional and more edgy). I admire it's depth and naturalness...after a few hours I catch beautiful basenotes wafting from it....the sandalwood and musk that has so far been hidden among all the roses. The name doesn't really capture it's spirit. I would have called it "stiletto" (it's a high heeled rose). Great and inexpensively found.

koki2's avatar

Pure Turquoise by Ralph Lauren

I love this scent and can wear it almost anytime. It reminds me of the old (ancient) Revlon Aquamarine fragrance from the '60s and '70s, not to be confused with whatever is selling under that name today. On me it has big sillage and long lasting power so I need to be careful not to overspray. It's got a place on my shelf right next to my Lutens, Chanels and Montales.

michailG's avatar

Tuscan Soul by Salvatore Ferragamo

I am afraid I will be a joy killer... but I tried Tuscan Soul recently and probably because I expected too much from the positive reviews... I really didn't like it all the way from the beginning to its dry down. There was a distinctive note that irritated me. I thought about it and it could be the fig leaves; however, I like fig notes in other fragrances such as Philosykos by Diptyque, or Fico de Amalfi by Acqua di Parma, or even the one by Marc Jacobs. In addition I continue to persistently look for my favourite citrus fragrance but the citrus in Tuscan soul left me unimpressed.
    To the positive side of this creation: it is fresh, uplifting, unisex, and it is long lasting (4 hours). Enjoy!

thatsmr2usir's avatar

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

I own the EDP & have tested the EDT! I much prefer the EDP! & here is why. The EDT is a nice offering from Guerlain which opens with a nice citrus burst, a tad of cocoa & woods. In the EDT version the citrus is the more dominant player. While it is nice, it does not last very long for me to get a full bottle! 4-5 hours max is what I get out of the EDT.

Now for the EDP! The first initial blast of this concentration is a heavy, yet sharp dry, bitter cocoa accord with a hint of citrus & woods. This concentration the dry, cocoa is the main player. It last @ least 10 hours on me & is indeed lovely! It leaves a nice lingering aroma for people to follow & its just awesome! Pure class here! For fans looking for a sweet cocoa note, THIS IS NOT YOUR FRAGRANCE! The only sweetness I may get from this is when the citrus & cocoa note collide.

I Would not really call the EDP a straight gourmand, because clearly it is not, but its more so a mixture between a gourmand/oriental if that makes any sense. Not for the faint of heart, or who is looking for something sicking sweet! The EDP is more mature than the EDT & for the $$$ its a better option to go with including the fact that the EDT has longevity issues compared to this! Kudos to Guerlain for this masterpiece!

irismissouriensis's avatar

Habanita by Molinard

The current formulation of Habanita is much convincing. What most have described as a fruit, vanilla and tobacco accord rather appears to me as a successful rendition of the smell of a fine Cuban cigar. Habanita has what we now perceive to be a 1920's dry smoky leather quality with a sweet powdery note that reminds me of Guerlain's Heritage or Mouchoir de Monsieur. I find it to be just as suitable for a men as Caleche d'Hermes is.

Hartman Design's avatar

Quorum Silver by Antonio Puig

Late-Hit hit this one on the nail head: Quorum Silver is largely a one-note blast of cedar, with subtle herbal undertones. But I happen to like cedar, and in this fragrance it's done very nicely. Above average persistence and sillage, so go easy!

msveronica9's avatar

Heaven Sent (original) by Dana

As an amateur collector of vintage perfumes, I wanted to acquire an example of the classic Heaven Sent. I snapped up a bottle from the UK via eBay - but when I looked closely at the label, I was surprised to see it spelled 'Heaven Scent'. With a c!

The rest of the label says:
    "Made in England by Liberty Cosmetics Ltd. Under licence from Helena Rubinstein. Sole UK Distributor, Liberty Cosmetics Ltd, SW4 7ET."

It's a 30ml eau de toilette spray, cylindrical wavy glass bottle with a baby pink cap. The label is pale pink with silver stars, and an image of cupid drawing his bow (just like the one embossed on the glass bottle above). Looks like it's from the 70s.

There's a thread on the 100Perfumes site where people have been arguing over the correct spelling of Heaven S(c)ent. Some say it's only ever been spelled "Heaven Sent" (as per all all the vintage bottles currently on eBay) while others insist that there was a frag in the 60s/70s called "Heaven Scent".

The Perfume Intelligence Encyclopaedia, which has several entries for this fragrance, spells all incarnations (MEM, Rubinstein, Dana) "Heaven Scent". No mention of Liberty. Oh dear.

Well anyway, to describe the actual fragrance... it's a soft, powdery, aldehydic floral not a million miles away from the old Je Reviens. I can definitely make out jasmine and perhaps even apple blossom. I can imagine this being worn by a young girl in a pink gingham frock, 50s style.

Fletch31's avatar

Michael for Men by Michael Kors

Hold on to your seat through the topnotes and enjoy one of the most pleasingly masculine fall/winter scents available. Just give it an hour and let your woman snuggle :)

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

White Blooms by Essentially Me

Nice floral scent which starts with unusual notes to my nose; are they the pink lotus or the white champac? am not sure...I can detect a heart of jasmine and rose and a nice base of sandalwood...

A very light and refined scent with the right longevity for this type of composition.

Big thumbs up...!!!

Limony's avatar

En Sens de Bois by Miller Harris

Cedar. Pencil shavings. Old wooden pencil boxes. Very dry but not all that severe as the wood is warm/smoky. I'd prefer it as a room fragrance.

PaladinX's avatar

Hermèssence Poivre Samarcande by Hermès

This smells VERY much like burberry london. A Spicy, incense vibe. For this price, I rather get burberry london.

obscura's avatar

Souk by Essentially Me

One of my favorite things is walking into a local spice shop and being overcome with the multitude of pungent aromas. As pleasant as I find the experience, however, there always seems to be a sort of tension in the air, with all the different spices fighting for dominance. I was a bit hesitant when I read that Souk was meant to evoke Indian spice markets, but to my relief the fragrance captures the beauty of the spices and leaves out the chaos. Souk captures for me the feeling of walking into a spice shop, but in a much different way than I expected. Rather than being a literal recreation, Souk captures both the exotic and comfortable feelings of the spices. The woods and incense hint at something mysterious, piquing my interest in the same way that I find exotic spices alluring, while the florals create a pillow of softness, evoking the same feeling as mom’s baking spices wafting through the house. Depending on how you look at it, either Souk livens up a soft floral with woods and spice or it mellows out woody spices with a gentle rose.

redrose's avatar

French Cancan by Caron

To me this is a soft, gentle scent in which the individual notes meld together so well that it's really hard to pick them out one by one. I do get the violet and rose, though, and then the oakmoss, and the overall blend reminds me quite a bit of "N'Aimez Que Moi", which is my absolute favourite perfume. If "old" means dreamy, nostalgic, retro-chic and harmonious, then, yes, it's an "old" sort of scent, but I think a better word would be "timeless". Anyone, any age, any season or occasion, could wear it and it would be appropriate. As you can see, I really love this scent and will be saving up for a bottle soon.

PerfumeCollector's avatar

Black Suede by Avon

Maybe the best of Avon (I have not tried everything Avon has to offer) and I agree with shamu in the sense that it is a well balance perfume and that there is nothing black or dark about it. Very spicy and flowery with a powdery amber drydown.
    The problem with this perfume is that there is nothing that sets it aside from the hordes of mediocre perfumes that flood the market. In other words, there is nothing to call home about it, but in the other hand it is a nice and pleasant perfume that should not offend anybody.

PerfumeCollector's avatar

Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

A great Vetiver indeed, one of the best among the legion of "vetivers", but I like the "grassy" feeling in Guerlain's more than the "fruity" feeling in Ford's.
    Bath and Body Works "Indian Vetiver" smells EXACTLY like Grey Vetiver, but unfortunately it was discontinued (I do not know how they could have done such a myopic move). The difference is that GV is over 10 times more expensive than IV.
    Fortunately I stashed 8 bottles of IV before it was discontinued.
    Great fragrance, no doubt about it, but because it is so pricey, and does not match Guerlain's it gets only a neutral review from me.

Ryanbassist26's avatar

212 Men by Carolina Herrera

This is a very interesting fragrance to say the least ... The smell is different and original but at the same time simplistic.. Some days I love this fragrance and other days not soo much.. I absolutely LOVE the drydown to this fragrance and would have to say its 1 of my all time favorites but the opening is just repulsive to me.. The 1st time I wore this I wore it to work and someone said I smell like vinegar(after only 1 spray to the neck) ...So its like If I want to wear it out I have to wait like 1 hour and a half so that the initial grass smell in the beginning fades.On the flipside this has been a compliment getter(especially when it reaches the drydown phase)...

Ratings:

Overall scent: 7.5 (5 out of 10 for the opening and 9 out of 10 for the drydown)
    Longevity:8 (I get anywhere from 6-8 hours on my skin)
    Projection:8.75
    Overall rating: 7
    Age range: 18-50
    Best times to wear this:

Just Truth's avatar

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

As there are countless reviews on it. ..Of those who can and cannot wear this fragrance. I thought I would talk of the newest reformulation in comparison. Both, of the reformulations still above todays damper of regularity and repeat smells.

I did a side by side comparison of the last two formulations. They are quite different. When I brought these two to the nose of the girl I normally do fragrance hunting with.. (Shes also a pretty good sniffer) She thought they were two different colognes at first. Think about that!
    We both came about that the newer version is sweeter, a little more soapy, and lighter.. as in not the same strength. However the strength of it in this case doesn't mean that the new one doesn't last as long. Because, in my testing I found they last the same. ..forever. lol But, through the length of my testing that evening, I also found that the newest version is also lighter.. as in.. isn't such the dark fragrance that Fahrenheit is supposed to be. It lacks the depth and richness, for sure; throughout the whole time wearing it. At first spray the new version has almost a bright feeling to it. More compared to the color at the bottom of the bottle.. Rather than the whole mysterious colored and unique bottle. It also can become almost cheapy smelling at times. I would like to not get this impression. But, I did. It can become cloying due to this; as well as it being sweeter, soapier, and brighter. Definitely brighter. It was also on the verge of giving me a headache at times.
    It is cleaner. Which is not what Fahrenheit is. It doesn't have as mossy and earthy of a vibe. And, the motor oil smell is cleaned up. It doesn't have as manly of a vibe.
    Does it have somewhat of similarity to the prior version?.. of course. The same as if you were drinking two different types of orange juice, they would both taste like orange juice.
    And, I have thought this might appeal more to the masses at first. But, think about this.. Even though, sales associates have no idea Fahrenheit has been reformulated. And, either way..wouldn't try to sell Fahrenheit to anyone. Lets say, if it were someone that just came into the store..Never heard of Fahrenheit. Or, someone that heard of it; and was coming in to smell everything that Fahrenheit was. ..If someone were to like Fahrenheit. The image that it portrays.. What it is.. That deep.. dirty..yet fresh smell. The smell of man. They would be loving everything about the fragrance that is still there. They would love everything thats supposed to be there. But, lucky for them.. They would never know what they were missing.

And, the lovers of Fahrenheit. Whatever prior version.. Well, you know what you are missing. I have since then came back to this fragrance to try the newer version just by itself. As the search for an older bottle can be a pain and some what worrisome. As it seems, You may only be able to find on Ebay. However in wearing the newer version one time by itself to get full impression. Everything holds the same except it doesn't really get cloying. And, the other thing is that if you don't get a full whiff of it.. at times it resembles Curve. Which isn't a bad smell, but definitely somewhat known for being cheap. And, I think this may have been where I got the cheap vibe from it.
    It still is a wonderful scent and one of my favorites. Even more so if I never smelled ones prior. And, it definitely still beats out most of the colognes today.

And.. it definitely still is a favorite among women. real women.