Fragrance Reviews from November 2010

MrFragranceReview's avatar

High Line by Bond No. 9

Take a generic fresh/aquatic and add some green and floral notes and voilà, you have High Line.

It smells pleasing, fresh, green, floral yet reminds me more of a Febreeze scent than actual perfume. It becomes generic very quickly. It's strictly feminine and not worth the price tag at all.

Beautiful bottle though

212 Sexy Men by Carolina Herrera

Smells like lipstick rubbed on arm pits. Boo

Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

It smells dirty. It's probably the leather. I got a dirty, OILY man hint from it.

Style In Play by Lacoste

Think apples, a dash of cinammon, some berries, and juice that makes these ingredients smell manly.

Backtable's avatar

Jacomo de Jacomo Rouge by Jacomo

Le Male, Cuba Gold, 360 White, Bogart PH, etc. Throw in any others with a vanilla-and-light-syrup vibe and you're there. This is very smooth and obviously well-blended, perhaps as well as if not better than many of the aforementioned, but unless you go in for gourmands this probably won't be for you. It's inexpensive but doesn't smell cheap, and I'll give it a thumbs up solely on its technical merits, with the opinion that it will probably appeal most to a younger (under-30) crowd.

Big Pony 2 by Ralph Lauren

I wanted to get this one but after testing and re-testing it, I found it boring. I don't really detect the chocolate note as others strongly do. It was a pleasant smell, nothing too special though, and after 1 hour it was gone :(
    It's supposed to be the sensual one among the 4.

Brielle87's avatar

France France

Fille d'Eve by Nina Ricci

This is probably, without a doubt, one of the greatest fragrances ever created. It is such a perfectly balanced scent and has so many facets, well it is almost hard to categorize it.
    It does fall into a chypre/floral family, but it seems to be so unlike the well known creations in both that it almost needs a new family created for it.
    It has such sweetness, softness and femininity, yet it also is very strong willed and recognizable, with a fabulous tenacity. It has warmth, softness and an exotic quality yet it does not have anything in it, exactly, that would bring about this quality. It is just the masterful blending of ingredients, many of which will probably never be used again, that give it such a fabulous persona.

Definitely an unique scent that would not be liked, nor loved, by many. But a true work of art, and pretty close to perfection.

PerfumeCollector's avatar

Everlast Original 1910 by Everlast

A tester was for auction in ebay starting at 99 cents, so I could not resist and placed a bid, never expecting to win it, I mean, 99 cents!!!, somebody will outbid me for sure.

Wouldn't you know it, I won the auction and while I was waiting I thought: well probably it is like Skin bracer or something like that and for less than a buck, what do you expect, plus the name EVERLAST conjured visions of Muhammad Ali wearing those oversize EVERLAST shorts every boxer used in the 70's . Plus I did not look forward to smell like a prizefighter LOL.
    It arrived and with apprehension I sprayed a little bit into the plastic bag it came (was a tester so it came without a box and inside a sandwich bag) and WHAT A SURPRISE!!!!!, it was not as bad as I thought, actually it smelled kinda pleasant. So I sprayed on me and this is my opinion: It is a very distinct "three acts" perfume, the opening is definetly citrusy with hints of lavender and mint that reminded me of "Ice Blue Aqua Velva", but a better quality Aqua Velva, that lasted less than a half hour. Then it turned green, I mean GREEN (fresh cut grass mixed with herbs) with hints of spices that reminded me of Ma Griffe and slowly went into this creamy woody very pleasant drydown that cried "QUALITY" out loud. The drydown of perfumes that cost 100 bucks and more, very sweet tonka plus woods and accented by musk. A truly winner, and just for 99 cents. THUMBS UP all the way.

Deepest Night by Ghost

Spurred by my love for Deep Night I had to try the flanker. I think 'creamy' is an apt description of the body. Deepest Night is a very linear, or even whole scent, and while I find it easy to describe, I can not seem to properly relate its effect.
    Think of a strong and well-blended base scent of vanilla, sandalwood, and honey. The honey serves to add a pleasant sweetness to the central vanilla and the sandal adds a woody, earthen depth, but just barely so. The freesia and tiare are subtle yet distinguishable and add dimension. The presence of mango is very light-handed but again imparts another aspect to what might normally come across as a very normal fragrance. The blending at work is superb, and the end result is a scent that hints but does not shout, that beckons and leads but doesn't wait, like a powerful choir in sotto voce, the audience silent with romantic reverence.

Bellagio for Men by Fragluxe

Very lemony opening with a bitter grapefruit tinge. Some small spicy character which seems to be the mid-note florals doing their best impression of pepper. The woods here don't even bother until everything else has gone, and by this time they may as well be transparent.
    It's an enjoyably fresh warm weather aquatic with way too much competition to be of any real use outside of beach/resort trips and summer sports. I can really see this on a room service maid's cart.

Bellodgia by Caron

Bellodgia is a beautiful scent that can be off-putting on first sniff. It took me a while to get to know it. The carnation is front and center right in the top notes. The typical eugenol scent associated with carnation is exploited in the finest way in Bellodgia with an excellent spicy clove center. There are notes of jasmine and muguet which play in and about the clove and carnation as well. Bellodgia settles into one of Caron's nice musk bases intermingled with moss and slightly sweetened by vanilla. This is not a typical floriental or chypre. It is a carnation scent built into a spicy symphony. It is very acceptable for men or women, and it smells like no other carnation available.

Casual Friday by Escada

It is now nearly impossible to avoid comparisons between Casual Friday and Body Kouros, Lolita Lempicka au Masculin, and even distantly, Le Male. After having worn each many times I have been able to sort out their nuances and better distinguish them. With the glaring exception of Le Male I enjoyed each enough to merit regular or semi-regular wear, but needed to mentally justify having three anise/vanilla centric scents, and these are my findings.
    - Body Kouros' take on the present theme is colored by a benzoic powdered vanilla and an attractive incense, in keeping with the original Kouros. It is probably the best made all around of the lot, but I feel its use is limited.
    - LLaM is almost overpowering with its use of sweet licorice, and its odd boozy character and phenomenal strength make this faeryesque fragrance a love/hate affair for most.

- Casual Friday is the most accessible of the lot. The anise is muted yet well maintained. The vanilla sweetens the woods instead of taking the limelight. The marriage of cinnamon, clove, cedar, and I'm assuming the cotton flower (I'm not sure what it smells like, but it's also a 'C' word) create what I can only describe as a 'spacious, warm accord.' I can see Casual Friday as being the most broadly appealing here, both for wearers and innocent bystanders. It's a fantastically well rounded scent that serves as a reminder of what Escada was before the whole chemical froot thing took over.

This should still be in production. HIGHLY recommended for fans of orientals/gourmands.

Deep Forest by Bogner

I love that Deep Forest doesn't contain clove. Nearly every time I find a scent with cinnamon and nutmeg there is also clove involved, like a clique of inseparable friends. What we get here instead is a 70's to mid 80's base, all musky, earthy leather, supporting a 90's fresh modern fougere top. Cool! The rich depth, class, and longevity of the former blends with the immediately friendly, invigorating, and (now) socially acceptable latter to create a scent I can without second thought describe as 'singular.' I have never experienced a fragrance quite like this, and I find its category-smashing nature to be heartwarming. Well, like I always say, nothing (good) lasts forever. I like to pretend the general public simply wasn't ready for a fragrance of this quality.

Véga by Guerlain

Vega is often compared to Chanel #5 and Arpege, but I for one don't smell the similarities. The aldehydes in Vega are toned down quite a bit. Yes the jasmine, and white flowers are present in Vega, but there is a sweetness, a darkness and a spiciness that the typical aldehydic florals don't possess. Vega opens with bergamot and aldehydes, with jasmine and orange flowers peeking through from its floral heart. The vanilla and orris over tonka and woods in the base not only support the florals, they color them. The depth and subtle sweetness and woody spiciness of the base permeates the entire perfume lending not only warmth, but richness, comfort and welcome. Most Aledyhidic florals seem standoffish and formal to me; but Vega is a star of great luminosity. It has no need to prove anything to anybody. It is almost casual in its pure elegance. Upon my first several testings of this fragrance, I thought that there would be no way I could feel comfortable wearing anything so floral and beautiful. But now I can't imagine my wardrobe without Vega. So far, Vega is the only aldehydic floral that I can ever see myself wearing. Wearing Vega doesn't turn heads because it smells feminine; it turns heads because it smells inviting.

Ambre Précieux by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Ambre Précieux is definitely one of my favorite amber scents, and a favorite scent overall from this house. Although the structure of this scent is not very vertical, I wouldn't call it a linear scent since it tends to really bloom over its long life. Although the amber notes are present throughout the scent, there is a definitely lavender and faint green note in the opening. The bulk of the scent is a complex amber accord made up of balsams and resins including benzoin, Tolu, Peru and Labdanum. This resinous accord is sweetened with vanilla and spiced slightly with Nutmeg, and allspice type notes over an ambergris base.

Ambre Précieux comes out of the bottle nice, but almost subtle, and it grows as the day goes on. It lasts all day long with moderate sillage, while moving and changing slowly from one facet of amber to the next. It's not too dry, and not too sweet. If you like resinous amber fragrances, Ambre Précieux has no real competition.

6of1's avatar

Scuba for Men by Fragluxe

A decent little aquatic "fresh" & modern concoction. Nothing special, but it well done and pleasant enough. Longevity is reasonable. Price is more than reasonable. Packaging is fantastic -- it looks like a scuba tank! If you're looking for something like this or you collect Fragluxe, then you could do far worse.

DerekLorimer's avatar

Fahrenheit 32 by Christian Dior

Great vanilla fragrance. Apart from the bottle design is nothing like the original Fahrenheit. Well worth trying out

rickbr's avatar

Brazil Brazil

High Line by Bond No. 9

Definitely a high line... shampoo
    It smells like a fruity-grassy expensive shampoo.

Dunhill London by Dunhill

Saccharin-sweet toilet freshener comes to mind when freshly sprayed onto the skin. Dries down to a overtly feminine and dud scent that could not even be passed for metrosexual. The concept behind this fragrance is confused, and I can honestly see no place for it in any of the prevalent demographics of London.

Perhaps they should have called it: 'Dunhill Brighton' or something.

Pi Neo by Givenchy

This is a weird one. Having smelt it on a cardboard tester strip I immediately bought some, only to realise that it's passing resemblance to Armani Code is exactly that: a passing resemblance. Smells quite 'nice' in the same way that freshly bleached toilets smell 'nice', until you become acutely aware that you're smelling a toilet.

In summary, Pi Neo smells like toilets.

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

Simply put, this is a modern day classic of a scent. Receives compliments all the time, projects fantastically, and doesn't turn sickly like so many pseudo-orientals.

BUY.

Daisy by Marc Jacobs

A wonderfully youthful and floral scent. Speaking from a man's perspective, I dislike almost every perfume with one exception - Daisy. I'm a complete sucker for this one.....

Snowbunny82's avatar

Wazamba by Parfum d'Empire

Wazamba was hard to adjust to, but I have and am now quite thrilled with the scent. The first adjective I would use to describe this fragrance is 'tangy'. There is a slight similarity between this fragrance and Amouage's Jubilation XXV for men. Both possess strong incense notes and fruits. While Jubilation is rich and the fruits and plump and succulent.... Wazamba has put through through one of Ron Popeil's electric food dehydrators. It goes one with a nose wrinkling blast of old world incense and the fruit notes spiral around your head in dizzying fashion. Something in this scent smells aged and calculated. As time progresses, the scent mellows out and the notes become less sharp. What remains is a wonderful resinous and warm scent that feels slightly thin.... but in a positive way. Upon my third wearing, this scent clicked and I have been addicted since.

The longevity is phenomenal on my skin... 1 spray lasts me all day.

The sillage is moderate but with a scent this quirky, an occasional waft of it is all I need.

Ernie and Bert would rate this scent:
    8/10 rubber duckies

MysteryBuff40's avatar

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Oregano tastes great in food, but it's not something I want to smell like, and that's the predominate note I get from Ambre Sultan before it dries down to the smell of weeds. Sorry, Serge, I love some of your fragrances (Five O'Clock au Gingembre, Gris Clair), but I can't get aboard the Ambre Sultan train.

pimiento's avatar

Royal Copenhagen by Royal Copenhagen

I can see the appeal to the this, I really like the drydown. It's the front that, to me, smells dead on like a urinal cake. maybe it's just me.

Worth1969's avatar

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

I find this quite boring.
    The original Dolce and Gabbana, as well as "BY" and "Masculin" all had something to offer.
    They were distinctive and made a statement. D & G's fragrances of late are too generic for my tastes.
    I'll give it a neutral because it's not horrendous, but the thumbs are very close to being pulled down.

Worth1969's avatar

John Varvatos 10th Anniversary Fragrance by John Varvatos

Very well done!
    A sophisticated, classy and modern scent, which brings to mind some of the great fragrances from the past,
    while maintaining its own originality. I used to enjoy wearing Santos de Cartier (before they changed the formula), and the new Varvatos just might fill the gap in my collection. Warm, leathery and very smooth.
    Yes, quite impressed by this one!

Sous Le Vent by Guerlain

Sous le Vent is an enchanting chypre which opens with a bergamot and lavender accord over an herbacious estragon note. The heart is a gorgeous green and spicy floral accord which includes notes of jasmine, carnation, cinnamon, clove and allspice blended over some elegant green leaves and aldehydes. The base notes are a sandalwood/orris/moss type smell that draws out the spices throughout the entire drydown. Sous le Vent is a highly addictive, complex scent that works perfectly as a masculine. In fact, I thought it was a man's cologne when I first smelled it and was surprised to hear it was marketed to women. It finds fairly decent rotation in my wardrobe. Since the sillage and longevity are quite moderate it works beautifully for either daytime or evening. It's one of the most beautiful chypres available. I wish it were produced in other concentrations besides EDT.

30th November, 2010 (Last Edited: 01st December, 2010)

Grottola's avatar

Ungaro II by Ungaro

tvlampboy is correct with the fecal civet assessment - I find that if too much of Ungaro II is applied, people might think you're wearing a soiled diaper. If you have ever smelled Eau d'Hermes, the opening is very similar, only with a tamer civet and brighter, clearer citrus.

The bright citrus opening fades quickly, unfortunately. From the first few minutes, I can observe that Ungaro II is probably the lively "people person" of the three Ungaro brothers. The bright citrus opening is executed SO perfectly - one of the absolute best citrus openings I have ever smelled in a masculine fragrance. Like a good eau de cologne, though, I only wish that citrus could stick around some more. As Off-Scenter explained, this has quite a bit of musk and florals in it. The drydown gives way to the base layer of civet, florals, and spices, making this a powdery masculine oriental. This stage, to me, recalls Tiffany for Men. While nice, I wish more could have been done with the drydown or the opening as I'm not very much a fan of powdery floral/orientals. If you're interested in Ungaro II, get a sample or decant first, because this is one fragrance to try before you buy. Longevity and sillage are great, but be wary of how much you apply.

This was the first vintage Ungaro that I tried. I find it has the most character of the three Ungaro's, and certainly has the most promising opening, although it's just not my type of fragrance.

30th November, 2010 (Last Edited: 07th January, 2011)

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

Stunning from every angle, this beautifully masculine fragrance receives compliments from ALL women. If you are a man and like female attention, you should seriously consider trying this. Perfect.

30th November, 2010 (Last Edited: 15th January, 2011)