Fragrance Reviews from November 2010

Beyond Paradise by Estée Lauder

I pick up a pervasive amount of Amber
    Frangrapani jasmine That all i can smell
    i could not pick up the other scents
    so these are more dominient. which i'm not a Amber lover. What i think About
    Estee Lauder Perfumes that it's a mixed bag you got good ones and you got some
    bad ones This one i'll give like a 6.5
    a Little above Average Perfume.

And also the drydown is a mixture of Coconut vs Honeysuckle which make me
    decide this isn't my favorite Perfume
    i don't really care for those scent.
    I loved the Rrounded teardroped shaped
    Bottle with it's Rainbow Glass Coloring
    I'll Recomened for Summer or the beach

Lumière (new) by Rochas

I think Aldehydes and Hyacith don't go
    together in my opinion their to strong
    of substance it's like a power keg going off it just make me have a
    headache but the drydown is nice smells
    almost like Giorgio of Beverly Hills
    but more heavier and with more Aldehydes

Boudoir by Vivienne Westwood

Today i got this sample from the loving
    curtisy of Bronx Beauty. and at first
    sniff it smelled like A Crap load of Amber an Orange and hinges of PLASTIC!
    egggggh! and with dirty laundry
    smelly smelly armpits. i'm picturing
    a neurotic drag queen in Leopard print
    leggins black stelettos gold lame blouse
    long bright red dress coat with matching pilbox hat bright red lips ala joan crawford hair coiled in the most
    grotesque beehive animal printed handbag her looks is a cross between
    Joan Crawford Judy Garland & Sante Kimes the notorious Grifter. walking
    down 5th avenue. or going to a delect
    motel and the moteler reeks of a sweaty guy
    named Jacques that when i smell this

and i got one word left
    CHEAP!

Rumeur (new) by Lanvin

The Opening Smells like Nail Polish Remover i don't smell the Magnolias
    just a heap full or Jasmine the lily is
    trying to make it's presence known but
    the jasmine just hogs up the smelling show
    what a ham that jasmine is hehehehe
    the plum comes later during the drydown
    and sandalwood and musk closes the show

but when you bere the nailpolish stage
    this seems to be an intoxicating perfume.

Rescentment's avatar
    Rescentment

Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

After seven hours plus of wearing this my significant other picked out a cinnamon smell on me. Probably the tonka bean in the base notes. Seven hours plus in and she was really digging the smell.

I have never considered Polo Black to be one of the best in my collection. But she often makes a comment when I wear it. She loves it. She has suggested it as one of two fragrances to wear on our wedding day.

I know that I will be picking up another bottle when this one is done.

LA DOLCE VITA's avatar
    LA DOLCE VITA
    Argentina Argentina

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I've had my first bottle of TDH since 4 months ago & I bought a 1.7 oz bottle because I thought it were very heavy to wear, but really it's very pleasant & I'm still wearing in spring. Great sillage, refined & VIP fragrance. In Argentina isn't very popular.
    My first impression when I've tried, it reminded me Giorgio Berverly Hills for man with citrics added.
    A new classic of the parfum industry.

Birgh's avatar
    Birgh
    Norway Norway

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Assuming that 112 quite unison thumbs-up could not have gotten it all wrong, I bought this one blind. For the first 5-10 minutes, however, I really thought they did. The anise in the opening was way to strong for me. It still seemed a little unbalanced in the middle notes, although with the lavender coming into play, getting less sharp by the minute.

And then the reward: What a fantastic drydown Rive Gauche has. I finally got what the thumbs-up were all about. I can hardly comprehend that a fragrance so soapy, clean and powdery can smell this masculine. Of course the spices are still there, now mostly cloves, warm and soothing. Truly a timeless classic.

Birgh's avatar
    Birgh
    Norway Norway

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

What an evergreen this already is, and I am not refering to the notes. The colour of Burberry London to me would rather be a very deep maroon. It holds all of the qualities I am looking for in a man's fragrance, and it has it's very own distinctive style that, in my mind, makes it incomparable to other scents.

It is just remakable how complex and yet extremely well balanced Burberry London is. From the well pronounced cinnamon and the black pepper, soon balanced with the lavender, in the opening, through the tobacco and leather, to the beautiful clean, almost soapy drydown with the cinnamon still shining through.

Longevity-wise people have complemented my smell long after I thought it had faded away. And lately I have tested this by spraying my wrist in the afternoon and still have smelled it the next morning. Some fragrances do tend to make the wearer "immune" to the scent after a while.

I never thought I was going to say this about a Burberry-scent, but Burberry London is one of my all-time favourite fragrances. And did I mention the versatility?

Poivre by Caron

Cloves! Clove gum, clove cigarettes (though there's no smoke in this scent), and yes - red hots as other reviewers have said. And the peppery floral note of carnation, too. Poivre opens with a spicy, peppery bang - a big red-gold wallop of scent, very vintage and lush in character.

For all its brass and trumpets at the start, Poivre's dry down is very mellow, warm and familiar. Soothing, even. Makes me think of cinnamon sticks (and again, cloves) in a kitchen spice cabinet.

It strikes me as quite unisex, and I think a man could wear it easily.

Neutral rating simply because it's not something I think I would reach to wear again. But if you are looking for cloves, pepper and spice in a fragrance - this fits the bill.

Hanunani - thanks to you for sending me a decant to try!

Ael-Mat by Lostmarc'h

First whiff: A bright, sparkling juniper - fresh and citrusy - that is quite reminiscent of the ocean's spray.

This passes quickly, and jasmine comes in - white, soft and sweet. This is a gentle jasmine - the kind you might find growing on a fence near the sea. Definitely not the sexy, voluptuous night-blooming sort.

Anchoring it all is just a hint of musk - but to my nose it has a slightly soapy note. On the dry down, this scent reminds me of the delicate, perfectly shaped little white seashell soaps my mother would keep in a basket for company. (That sounds almost like an insult - but it's not. I coveted those soaps as a girl.)

Ael-Mat is an innocent, pure little white-green floral fragrance. Spritely, in fact. It reminds me of early spring - March and April. It's charming and child-like, without being childish. An adolescent could wear this easily, but then - so could anyone.

The name means "guardian angel" in Breton - and it's appropriate. Ael-Mat smells clean, pure, sweet and fresh. You could wear it with a white dress for a walk on the dunes in the morning.

iodine's avatar
    iodine

1804 by Histoires de Parfums

First of all: I adore pineapple. I love its taste- expecially enlivened by just a touch of black pepper in festive desserts ; I love its scent, from the tart, slightly sour greeness of the unripe fruit to the sweet and juicy full ripeness, even to the alcoholic, almost intoxicating aroma of the early decay. So, I obviously am very curious about pineapple fragrances.
    1804 immediately struck me positively with its strong and brilliant pineapple note, its proper spices (pepper, I’d say, even if it’s not listed) and exotic flowers (tiarè, jasmin…) that conjured up a combination very plesasant to my nose. But, in a few minutes, the musks begin to emerge powerfully and slowly seem to submerge evrything else, levelling the scent on a persistent but monotonous note, in which pineapple is boosted and dominates on an almost indistinct flowery-ambery base. I can’t detect anything else until the very end of the drydown, when a sweet vanilla shyly appears. Maybe it’s because I really don’t love musks- there’s a particular white musk note (I can’t name the molecule, but can detect it in very faint traces) that has the power of ruining the fragrance completely, after I’ve sensed it!- maybe because I generally prefer less blatant and more subtly evolving fragrances, but I can’t give it more than
    neutral.

KillerScent's avatar
    KillerScent

Cool Water by Davidoff

In my opinion this cologne is overrated .
    This is supposed to be a fresh acquatic scent, but to my nose it's a dry floral scent, very very dry .
    If you want a good acquatic try Bulgari's Acqua Marine or Armani's Acqua di Gio.
    The only good thing on this cologne is that it's cheaper than many others.

REDDY's avatar
    REDDY

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

one of the best mens fragrance ever. i bought it on basis of MARC's review on you tube
    i think every body should try once in there life.

JUST TRY ONCE.

Coco Belle's avatar
    Coco Belle

Lola by Marc Jacobs

Got a sample of this yesterday and wasn't feeling particularly confident about it... the bottle screamed "FRUITY FLORAL!" at me and I was dubious.

I was pleasantly surprised though. After a brief red-berry burst at the opening, this swooped into a gorgeous, heady, vivid vintage rose that made me want to gulp this fragrance up by the mouthful. The dry-down was soft, almost incense-like rose with warm vanilla-musk lingering just beneath. Not complicated; not hugely sophisticated... beautiful without being self-conscious.

I'd wear this on a summer night for sure. Reminds me of night-blooming flowers and kissing in the dark.

Coco Belle's avatar
    Coco Belle

Calvin Klein Beauty by Calvin Klein

Got a sample of this from an over-eager SA and dutifully test-drove it today despite my misgivings. And honestly, I nearly died of boredom.

It's so bland. No-name lukewarm floral ("neo-lily", allegedly -- please. pull the other one) on a no-name musk base. Slight acidity at the dry-down -- perhaps that's the cedar? It's hard to tell since it's so, so faint.

I would make an OK linen spray, but that's about it. SO anonymous. It's not ugly, but it leaves absolutely no impression whatsoever. Why bother? Really??

I can't imagine why anyone would spend money on this when they could just wear their Speed Stick and make more of an impression. I'm giving it a neutral rating because I can't say it's ugly or horrid -- it's just boring beyond belief.

Euphoria's avatar
    Euphoria

Rykiel Homme Grey by Sonia Rykiel

Mossy. Dark. Grey.
    Wonderful. Romantic. Rykiel.

MOONB's avatar
    MOONB

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Green Irish Tweed's comparison to Cool Water could stop at the fact that both fragrances have been painfully overexposed, to a point of seeming uninspired and mundane. But all snark aside, I will join in the ever-growing chorus of voices that say Cool Water does, in all truth, bear a fleeting but startling resemblance to the top notes of its Creed predecessor. I see no reason to compare further; GIT employs different notes in its middle and base, and does so with far greater finesse. After the first five minutes, iris and verbena move smoothly past a sparkly citrus top, setting the stage for the most magnificent violet leaf and sandalwood dry down imaginable.

I'm fairly certain Cary Grant never wore this (although there's no way to really know - Creed is old enough to have tailored something very similar for the actor), but I can't help but feel like a flawless movie legend with it on. There are more complex and interesting eau de toilettes out there, but this is the perfect safety scent. It's eminently likable, fresh, and just different enough to be worth adding to a well-rounded wardrobe.

03 November, 2010 (Last Edited: 20th December, 2010)

Euphoria's avatar
    Euphoria

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

Floral, powdery, extremely sweet opening consisting of lavender & mint, and it's there for an hour or two. As it dries down, the mint fades away and gets replaced by an accord that's even sweeter; synthetic vanilla.
    After an hour or two after that, the tonka bean sneaks in, and at the end, you get alot of it.
    What you get after a few hours is a really sweet vanilla-lavender with alot of tonka bean in it. Superior longevity, insane projection (which isn't necessarily a good thing)
    This is not for everyone, it can also be very offensive when overapplied (or applied overall), be really careful on the trigger when you're gonna wear this in public. The overwhelming vanilla can easily cause headaches. When i wear this in autumn/winter (CAUTION: DON'T WEAR THIS IN THE SUMMER), i only go with 1-2 sprays, it's enough, trust me.

I, however like it.

03 November, 2010 (Last Edited: 25 December, 2010)

KillerScent's avatar
    KillerScent

Aqua pour Homme Marine by Bulgari

This is the BEST ACQUATIC fragrance I've ever tried .
    It's intense and manly, it tingles your nose, you get a really fresh scent ; and when it dries down you get a lovely floral and spicy scent, with a slight touch of wood .
    It has a medium projection but great longevity.
    In my opinion it's better, more complete and oceanic than the normal Aqua version.
    This fragrance should be more popular.

My marks:
    -Scent: 9
    -Longevity: 8
    -Proyection: 7

03 November, 2010 (Last Edited: 13 April, 2011)

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I so wanted to like this. But Chergui opens loudly on my skin with a harsh blast of green that, combined with the tobacco, smells exactly like a menthol. Yikes! (And what *is* that?)

In this stage - it reminds me of an old gentleman with his pipe, right down to the foot liniment. That's not a bad thing - but it's not something I want to smell like, either.

Fortunately, this passes after about an hour. What remains is a sweet, dry pipe tobacco laced with honey and hay. Very pleasant.

If I could get the tobacco without the hour-long menthol, it'd be a thumbs up. But sadly after several tries I can't.

10/11/11
    Fall is coming on again, and so many people rec Chergui, I thought this was worth a re-sampling. No menthol blast this time! Instead, I get what so many others describe - candied incense syrup + a very handsome pipe tobacco and a leather base. It really is lovely, but too heavy and thick for me. Also a touch too masculine for my tastes.

03 November, 2010 (Last Edited: 11th October, 2011)

Swanky's avatar
    Swanky

One Man Show by Jacques Bogart

The supposed cacophony of this fragrance is overstated, I think. Yes, the initial scent after application (the first 20 minutes or so) is strong and abrasive (but less so than, say, Givenchy Gentleman or Lapidus). As it moves into the heart, it is very incense-rich. To its credit, One Man Show smells like little else in the fragrance world - no bandwagon jumper is he. I agree with Shamu that this is quite wearable: I don't experience any of the paint-melting intensity that others allude to. After further wearings, I find the longevity to be all day. It's less of a powerhouse than it's reputation but it has the masculine elements of this breed without the billowing cloud of aroma associated with others of the genre. The basil aligns it with Krizia Uomo, but overall One Man Show is an independent thinker.

03 November, 2010 (Last Edited: 19 December, 2012)

Shifty Bat's avatar
    Shifty Bat

Jaguar (original) by Jaguar

Within minutes of applying Jaguar to my wrist a warm and exciting familiarity came over my senses. Something about it reminded me of Gucci's Nobile! The top lacks the distinctive bite and masterful aromatic green blending, and is more orange by far, but the heart is so similar. The drydown I think I enjoy even more, so a trade-off of sorts is achieved. Sillage and longevity on me are quite good, but certainly not as loud as with Nobile. So in short, a more modern and affordable 'Nobile Light!'
    I'd been toying with the idea of dropping the $250 or so for a real bottle of Nobile instead of just samples, but now I feel as though I've filled a long-standing hole in my collection. Quality in a bottle.

Edit: The original version of Jaguar smells smoother and is more grapefruit-heavy in the opening instead of orange. The drydown is more of a semi-sweet leathery tobacco, whereas the current formula is very focused on tonka.The current Jaguar is a bit brighter in the opening but both retain the dry, aromatic woods and green feel. It's weird but the new Jaguar is completely faithful to the original, like it's the same dough stretched in different directions. I am keeping them both.

For those shopping versions - the old one (wood-colored cap) has a richer woody-tobacco drydown and smells slightly more natural but suffers more of the youthful backlash of 'old man smell.' The current (silver cap) is more powdery sweet in the finish and has been called sweaty or urinous, but this is usually stemming from an unfamiliarity with artemisia-family plants like mugwort, wormwood, common artemisia, and hops. This is a predominantly Green scent and no mistake; if green is what you want this is a good place to look.

In summation this is a great scent for the price in any incarnation and will always be in my collection. One of the best green leathers in its price range along with Esencia by Loewe.

03 November, 2010 (Last Edited: 03 March, 2014)

stevolution's avatar
    stevolution

Comme des Garçons 2 Man by Comme des Garçons

Smells very autumnal.
    Dried grass, autumn sunshine on sweaters, smoke and snuffed candles.
    Quite cozy.

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

Powerful! Mega-sweet, Uber-sweet. In other words, sweet. The deep amber note is amazing: it is spicy, complex, earthy, toasty-nutty and compelling. I’d be intrigued except for this candied wall. This scent is like an amazing rootbeer and cream soda combination. Not my style at all, an in my opinion out of balance. However, some may like it.

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

The opening notes of lemon and other citrus are pretty good. They are framed by some dry peppery notes which are subdued and not very spicy. The scent is cool, not sweet or heavy. It is light and translucent. There are mild wood notes which add a bit of interest. This scent is better than I expected. It is deliberately done is a smooth, mass-appeal style. Little hints of vanilla and vetiver. The scent plays it safe in my opinion. Nothing offensive here, but I don’t find anything compelling either. The sillage is substantial, and the scent has good longevity.

rickbr's avatar
    rickbr
    Brazil Brazil

Sécrétions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange

Once upon a time, there was a lovely, fresh iris fragrance, wich has happy with her talcy, delicate flower aroma over her sweet woody base. But one day she got really sick, died, and become a zombie. And then she turned to be the beast that we knew as Secretion Magnifiques.
    You can percept, since you apply it on skin, the subtle flower and woody aroma, but burried in that it`s a chemical beast that will stick in your skin and your nose and will refuse to go away. This beast accord smells like dog vomits and spoiled egg that broke on the floor and stayed there for weaks. Be warned, this smell will not go away and you`ll not be able to completely remove it even if you rub alcohool at your skin aggressively.
    If Devil wears a fragrance, Secretion Magnifiques is one of his favorites.

rickbr's avatar
    rickbr
    Brazil Brazil

Cruel Intentions by By Kilian

Cruel Intentions by Kilian
    I`d say it`s more like Crude Intentions than Cruel Intentions. But it`s a crude intentions that work.To me, it`s a rather linear agarwoody scent, which explore the raw woody side of the agarwood note with the sour yougurt aroma of this material, which is not emphasized in most oud compositions. The amber and styrax create a smoky, woody ambered base, while the vetiver and papyrus wood emphasizes the woody aroma of agarwood, and the lemon and rose of the topnotes extends the sour, bitter aroma. Maybe it`s because all notes are blended so well that this scent seems rather linear, and a little bite crude, without any adornment.

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I can't believe I'm about to say this, but the local vicar came into the bookshop I work in wearing this and I had to ask him what it was. It's lovely. Will be buying some for my husband, I should just add, before the whole vicar thing makes me sound weird.

After My Own Heart by Ineke

A bit like "Lys Mediterranee" in that it actually smells EXACTLY like the flower it's supposed to - in this case, lilac. I have always wanted a lilac perfume that didn't smell like toilet-freshener, and here it is. Oddly, since lilac is such a short-season flower, it just feels wrong to wear it any time other than April-May, but you bet I'm persisting. Ver nice.

Field Notes from Paris by Ineke

Sorry Ineke, I love everything else you've done, but I really couldn't like this one. Too acrid. Made me sneeze.