Fragrance Reviews from November 2010

Darvant's avatar

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

An aromatic-mossy-spicy barber-shop classic which, after a watery, green, almost balsamic initial burst, settles down in to a sort of petroleous, mossy/shadowy, tobacco flavoured and slightly soapy type of smell. A wonderful rosemary plays a noticeable role arousing a touch of mediterranean, breeze, salty/mild, coniferous aroma of pines of the coast. Clean, discreet, conservative but for many unappealing, a bit "laundry/soapy/bath-foam" type and out of these infamous times.

16 November, 2010 (Last Edited: 04 January, 2014)

Darvant's avatar

Heaven by Chopard

A now discontinued sort of bracing aroma of bath soap or sport deodorant with a masculine strong undertone, a perfect after shower useful to stroll refresched around home or along your quarter streets but undue for any sort of date, office work, or special occasion out there. It is surely lacking texture and distinction. Similar to a discontinued manly Byblos scent, Heaven is a kind of juice that reminds the early 90's "gymnastic type" of fragrances. The creation features notes of lavender, musk and tonka surrounded by flowers and woods.

16 November, 2010 (Last Edited: 04 January, 2014)

Ekove's avatar

Kuwait Kuwait

Le Male Terrible by Jean Paul Gaultier

It is hard to review a flanker of a best seller without being biased to one side or the other. For me, Le Male Terrible has a citrus opening, mostly grapefruit, that makes no sense to me. I do not understand why it has a reputation of being "Terrible", just like the original, it's an overall synthetic, but somewhat pleasant citrus. I also do not understand how such opening would make a good combination with the cinammon-vanilla-candle the original was. After about 10 minutes, it started smelling like the original, with the bitter citrus leaving a very minor "dirty" impression. So, yes, that's it, Le Male with a different opening, that is lighter than the original. While there are a few fragrances that are similar to the original, and better; Body Kouros, Frapin Caravelle Epicee...etc, there are countless better alternatives to the citrus opening. So, while overall this fragrance is not bad, it is more generic than the original.

Nevertheless, I have to be honest, it gets bonus points from me for being a flanker that keeps it's originals spirit. It is certainly worth a try if you want to add a fragrance to your collection that is simply pleasant.

Versace Man Eau Fraîche by Versace

This is a fresh, and crisp aquatic scent that I have recently acquired. Overall, pretty solid fragrance, with good longevity and projection. I definitely pick up on the various woods, and tobacco, which makes it more complex, and a little bit different. This definitely reminds me of Dolce and Gabanna light blue, and they smell very similar. Also, i believe it has rose, which is very nice. This is one of the better aquatics out there, and i would give it an 8 out of 10. It is refreshing, lively energetic and something to check out.

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

This is a nice fall fragrance, that is great for the younger crowd. However, because it is a Giogio Armani fragrance, lots of people do have it. I would describe it as a warm spicy woody scent, that is a great night wear. Longevity and projection are decent, but with an armani fragrance you are essentially paying for the name. so there are definitely a lot of better woody oriental scents out there. However, it is a relatively enjoyable scent, and i would give it a 6.5 out of 10. I have to say i do like it, and it is very appealing. one to look into if you are looking for a fall/winter scent.

Light Blue Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

This is a very appealing aquatic scent for younger men, and is sweet, crisp, and a lot of citrus. I have to say i do enjoy this fragrance, and it is one of the better summer fragrances (designer). Okay longevity and decent projection. the scent itself i am a big fan of. Definitely is very floral, and fruity. scent strength is not very strong though.

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

I think people do not spend enough time wearing this fragrance. they put it on , smell it, and then think it is awful, and very soapy. When I first bought this I thought the same thing, but he more time you spend wearing this fragrance, it turns into a refreshingly sweet crisp apple scent that is actually alright. DEFINITELY not even close to being one of the best summer fragrances, but the scent itself is actually okay, and slightly unique. I started grabbing for the bottle more and more often, and I realized that there was more to this scent. So if you think you would like a crisp, slightly sweet, warm and refreshing apple scent, give it a try. Longevity and projection are actually pretty good for this fragrance.

McGraw by Tim McGraw

This is a spicy, very woody, and slightly sweet scent. Definitely the whiskey, and nutmeg are too strong for me, and it smells very synthetic. By the way, I am talking about Mcgraw southern blend, not silver or any of the other ones. It is supposed to be a fall scent, and it is okay. I would give it a 5 out of 10. Longevity and projection are poor, and the overall scent is okay, but strong and fake to be honest. most likely one to avoid. This is not very original either, and does not stand out against any other woody oriental fragrances.

360 Degrees White For Men by Perry Ellis

This is a spicy, woody and sweet scent, that i like pretty well. The longevity and projection are very good, and it is a great winter wera, and can be used as a signature scent. The vanilla and musk are strong, and they are the stars of the show. Props to perry ellis for the fragrance, I do enjoy it, and it is, in a way, unique. It is almost like a gourmand, with that sweet vanilla. I actually really do not like gourmands generally (i.e Le male, Thierry muggler) but this is a nice alternative. So give this one a try. It is understated, classy, and very appealing in my eyes. Nice job Perry Ellis!

Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge by Bulgari

I would like to start by saying that i am a big fan of all Bulgari products. This one i got in a gift pack with the lotion, and after shave. to me, this is a floral, sweet, crisp, and light fragrance. The longevity is very spotty, and the projection is alright. The red tea and the pepper also play very important roles. It settles down form light and energetic to a more mellow, soothing, and relaxing tea scent. I like this line of products (au the rouge, blanc,and verte) and if you are into floral tea based scents, i think you will enjoy this. the longevity is one of the worst things about this scent however. This is definitely a unisex fragrance in my eyes, and is slightly on the feminine side, which i do not mind. Overall, i give this a solid 8 out of 10, and a thumbs up, which i don not give too often. DEFINITELY CHECK THIS ONE OUT. you will love it!! It is a great complement getter.

Classique by Essentially Me

This is the first one I tried of all the samples in the collection. I like it but it doesn't grab me as something new and shocking. It envelopes me and lasts a few good hours. Reminds me of Lady Stentson, yet better quality, yes, it smells of high grade ingredients. How does it make me feel? elegant and real lady like. All the notes are blended and to me, nothing stands out on it's own, but it's a good blend that's likable. The longer I wear this, the more I like it; floral and spicy is how I'd describe it. I could get used to this in my perfume wardrobe.

Souk by Essentially Me

This was my 2nd favorite (Tango was the first). It comes on strong for 15 minutes- leather? Patchouli? I couldn't pin point it, but it was strong! Has an Indian name and Indian strength at the beginning, but it goes away and turns into something quiet for awhile until a few hours goes by and it's rich and beautiful.

Incense was prominent. I put a lot on my cotton clothes so when my body heats up, the cotton holds it for a longer time than just putting it on my skin. After about 5 hours of wearing this, it morphed into something rich and beautiful. Whatever it was, it fully developed and I was thoroughly enjoying it.

This one takes a while to develop and it's worth waiting for and I like that sweet richness. I'd like to own this one.

Amber by Essentially Me

This one is too light for me after trying Sauk and Tango. Had to re-apply it a lot in one day, but once I had enough on, it seemed like a husky jasmine which was nice. It wears easy- good for when you want to take a break from your heavier perfumes. If I had a bigger sample I might be saying other things... it takes awhile to understand any one given fragrance, especially when they take time to blend and are more complex like this line is.

kiddo's avatar

Germany Germany

French Lover / Bois d'Orage by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Yikes!

This has definitely been a scrubdown for me!

Offending to my nose and like ammoniak.

I pretested FL on a cardboard and my kitchen very soon smelled like cheap obtrousive after shave.

It was breath taking odor and i was happy to take out the trash (where this cardboard pretty soon went the night before).

Great lasting power though.

Canoé by Dana

Haha! Canoe, is probably the 'nicest' scent I know. It's so well done, so well-rounded and so classic-yet-tame that I bet it could diffuse a bad situation.

"I know I shouldn't have said/done/stolen/burned that, but...I'm wearing Canoe!"

"Oh...Well, it's okay then. Just don't do it again."

Just like that! It's so utterly pleasant you can't be mad at it. I must say I love the opening, so it's a disappointment that it lasts barely thirty minutes, but there doesn't seem to be a middle stage for me. It heads straight for the drydown and stays there, stalwartly refusing to fade away for hours to come. And what an enjoyable drydown it is. It's no wonder to me that Canoe is still in production - It's just so nice!

lespritz's avatar

Rykiel Homme Grey by Sonia Rykiel

Opening is awful, rosewood too overbearing...drydown is nice, but fades to nothing. Better be cheap if I'm gonna buy it. Nice bottle though!

Baldessarini by Baldessarini

Here's a good example of what comes to mind when I read another reviewer use the term, 'plasticky.' The mint and orange opening, which has been done to death, teams up with -something- else (fir?) in the mix to make an unnaturally fruity/fake accord which I suppose was intended to come across as metallic in a manly way, but I guess I lack the swarthy countenance or the sheer manliness to make this present itself appropriately. It just smells awkward and unnatural to me. After a good half hour or so, however, this sensation begins to diminish and the whole becomes more woody, and I can attest the drydown, which I find the most worthwhile part of the whole, lasts until the next morning. I did not expect that. Well, It's got ups and downs, so I suppose that makes it at the very least interesting.

Burberry for Men by Burberry

Being still young and having realized my enthusiasm for perfumery rather late in the scheme of things, I was subjected to the more recent Burberry releases like Brit, London, Weekend, and a bunch of other words that should appeal to my demographic. Then I tried Burberry for Men, and it was almost revelatory. They used to try! Yeah, this one screams to anyone who would listen, "I am the Nineties!" But that aside there is a real, rich formula at work here. There is progression and the potential to enjoy on a more than casual or pray-for-a-hook-up level. The only living reason I can't give this a thumbs up is that others around me in the testing phase have affirmed what my subconscious was trying to suppress: the herbal bitterness in the formula overpowers the nicer qualities of the composition. It's not bad at all, and I am certain on some lucky guys this is a formidable accompaniment to a sharp wardrobe. I just can't say the same for myself. I do enjoy it regardless, and will keep a bottle around to think about on occasion.

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

It's so funny and exhilarating and even embarrassing to me to see the rainbow of reactions to this scent. THAT is, maybe above all else, what makes Drakkar Noir so memorable to so many. Some love it. Some hate it. But either way, there is passion involved! How many fragrances have survived for half as long, balancing on a razor's edge of sheer reaction?
    I got my hands on a sample of this in a gift set five years ago and it became my first favorite scent. One could consider this the catalyst for my subsequent obsession. I have since grown, developed, improved, but for all my experience I can't leave behind my fondness for Drakkar Noir. No one I know likes it, but I'll keep some around for myself because it's like an old photograph of a memorable event or a great friend you don't see too often. It means nothing to those around me, But I understand it better. Maybe this is the reason I tend to prefer older fragrances?

mrclmind's avatar

Cologne du Parfumeur by Guerlain

The newest cologne from Guerlain in a long time is not very typical of the historic EDC type fresh citrus scents. Instead, it is a modern cologne interpretation based heavily on the Orange blossom note. It is very lovely. It is one of the most polite scents I've come across in a long time. I can't imagine anyone but the most scent sensitive people, or cynical powerhouse frenzied dolts finding this scent objectionable. As such it is one of the most perfect office scents available. CdP is a fragrance that is obvious and present while blending into the background seamlessly.

Although the orange blossom and citrus notes are prominent at the opening, the citrus subsides and the orange blossom persists well for a very long time into the middle bitter notes of herbs and orange peel which are quite addictive and pleasing. The long extended dry down is very clean and soapy, quite modern and minimalist... think Jean Claude Elena, but even more linen white and clean.

It is one of the few scents that actually works as a true base for other perfumes (although many scents claim to be layering scents, this one actually works as such almost universally). When applying another scent after the top and middle notes of CdP have burned off, CdP seems to charge any other perfume with an intensified carrying power and sillage. It's really an amazing scent when used in this manner: a polite office scent by day and a base for other scents by night. I have even worn this scent as a base by applying other fragrances directly on top of it immediately after application, without waiting for any dry down. The effect is absolutely stunning.

Thierry Wasser has really shown himself as a master parfumeur with this fragrance, and Guerlain has revealed that they knew what they were doing when choosing him to take the helm.

Chocolovers by Aquolina

I'm a fan of the Aquolina house and that includes Chocolovers, somewhat. I think it's ok. I don't get any chocolate at all. I smell orange, but no chocolate. I've enjoyed my sample, but I don't think I will be purchasing a bottle anytime soon.

Angel Garden Of Stars - Violet Angel by Thierry Mugler

This was a blind buy for me. I didn't expect it to smell so "purple." It's nice, but I probably won't be wearing it anytime soon.

The Original by Gap

I purchased this for an excellent price; a blind buy mind you. I adore Gap clothing, so I thought, why not? I've worn it once, and I like it. I smell leather in this, but it's not too strong, which makes it great for a unisex fragrance.

promqueen's avatar

Belle d'Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

I bought a small bottle of this about a month ago. I could never wear the original Opium; it was too heavy on me and smelled like men's aftershave.

But this is quite a bit lighter and woodier, and the drydown is nice. It lasts a good long time as well. I really like this one

17 November, 2010 (Last Edited: 25 December, 2010)

Royal Copenhagen by Royal Copenhagen

I find RC to be a 'scent of association.' By this I mean most reactions I've seen so far to this fragrance are strongly rooted in olfactory memory and experience. The lemon/carnation/orris/tonka combination which was once a very common theme in mens' fragrances imparts what many describe as 'barber shop,' which can be good or bad from case to case. This is also the cause of comparisons to talc or baby powder, and the slightly medicinal character that comes with the green herbs atop honey and heliotrope remind some of nursing homes or medical clinics.
    While I find this a bit unfair it is an imprint of an individual's experience and nothing I can change.
    However, I am glad that by spending little time with the medical community, having little cognizant memory of people in general from two to three generations past, and finding the company of children (especially babies) largely unbearable, I am free of these associations. I experienced Royal Copenhagen for what it should be - A fragrance designed to be worn and enjoyed. And while the individual notes are largely too blended to be distinct they all seem to play a part, like the whole product is a distinct scent (and it is), but without any given ingredient it wouldn't feel complete.
    In a nutshell it's warm, certainly sweet, herbal, medicinal, powdery, a tad old-fashioned, and very enjoyable for those without olfactory hangups. Most importantly, it works so well on me I can't bring myself to care about criticism. I only have the current formulation, and I'm sure the original is so long depreciated that it would prove a useless effort to sample, but I can't help but feel it would have held a seat in my 'Pantheon' of favorites.
    Good thing I have a fantastic imagination.

EDIT: Several months after my review I obtained a bottle of the vintage juice. It is a shade darker and muskier than the modern version, and the herbal and floral aspects are slightly more pronounced. I do prefer this version to the new but since I still enjoy both immensely I often pair the bright modern aftershave with the vintage cologne.

17 November, 2010 (Last Edited: 08 April, 2013)

Mar Azul's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

Sienne L'Hiver by Eau d'Italie

A close-up photograph of wet winter soil in a field, in a place where it never actually snows. Definitely Mediterranean but from a quite uncommon point of view. Yes, there are winters in this region, too. Quite insensible on me although it's a beautiful photograph. I guess it would be miraculous on the right woman.You see, no man can be that tender, and it requires a pinch of tenderness to complement this cold but lively soil.

hedonist222's avatar

Wonderwood by Comme des Garçons

Do you prefer what you like in intensity? Do you love wood? Then ge this. Intensely woody and a good amount of vetiver to make it tangy.

One of my all time favorites.

hedonist222's avatar

Bang by Marc Jacobs

An economic version of opus 1890 by penhalligons . Initially smells peppery, then everything just vanishes.

adam1582's avatar

Absinth by Nasomatto

This is absolutely fantastic, hands down the best fragrance ive ever smelt, dark , woody, green, spicy, herbal, earthyness, very very sexy, classy and warm with a hint of sweetness and strong incense, strongly masculine and very sexual in nature, heavy earth notes, after a spray im smelling my wrists all day and the feeling after smelling it is empowering and uplifting, very strong and good projection, truly perfection, a work of art

DJB's avatar

Dior Homme Sport (original) by Christian Dior

Starts off a nice grapefruit/citrus scent but quickly turns into an overly sweet, cloying synthetic mess.