Fragrance Reviews from December 2010

finsfan's avatar

Patchouli 24 by Le Labo

Good: Great silage, great longevity

Bad: No patchouli as far as I can tell. I get a cinnamon/clove vibe against a background of leather, glove leather. Nicely crafted. It seemed that it warmed on the skin after 30 minutes, and then stayed linear. I get the smoke, not as smokey as Fumerie Turque but smokey nonetheless. However, it leaves me wanting more. If I had never smelled Fumerie Turque, I might have said this is a great smokey scent.

scentsitivity's avatar

Musgo Real No. 1 Orange Amber by Claus & Schweder

A muted orange with heavy powder, this one is totally barbershop. I really don't see it as an amber scent, per se. Definitely masculine. Good longevity.

pimiento's avatar

Wild Woods for Men by Coty

For the ten bucks i bought it for NIB, very good! Uncomplicated but unexpectedly rich wet woods. The simplicity is a bit off-putting however as the scent is so straightforward.

ZeCheiroso's avatar

Top ****
    Heart *****
    Base *****
    Final score *****

Quoting Sunsetspawn: "At first I thought that this fragrance could dodge bullets, but then I realized that when it's ready, it won't have to.
    You can read the other reviews to find out about chocolate this and musk that, however, I'm here to tell you all you need to know.
    This is The One"
    His review is for the EDP and mine is for the EDT but really...

The good
    This thing is marvelous, and everyone seems to love it. From Luca Turin, pedantic basenoters, to the common people. There isn't really much negative to say about it.
    Extremely balanced, it's somewhat sexy yet not loud, obnoxious, or potentially offensive.
    It does have some punch and yet it's no powerhouse, in-your-face affair.
    Subtly gourmandy and yet you can't really say there are obvious foody notes except the cocoa, which is a high quality one even.
    The opening is slightly familiar with the citrus but it lasts short anyway.
    Durability is good, around 10h for me, and it can resist showers sometimes, even.
    Sillage is average but I prefer it that way, so to me, that's perfection.
    I can see this one working for many occasions except hot weather and sports.

The bad
    It can't really be worn in summertime.
    Some think it's a formal scent only.

The ugly
    There are people other than myself wearing it.

PerfumeCollector's avatar

Polo Explorer by Ralph Lauren

Opening notes???, what opening notes? this fragrance goes directly to the heart, yelling CORIANDER so loud that if there was any mandarin or berganot in here, it got steamrolled by the coriander.
    Very similar to Drakkar Noir at first impresion, but in a few minutes it takes a completely new direction and it becomes closer to Tsar IMO. The drydown is magnificent once the loud coriander is gone (Don't get me wrong, I like the coriander very much, but as I say, it is a bit too loud) the woods come with full glory and it is a real treat to your senses.
    I would tame a bit the coriander and get more citric notes in the opening and then this scent would be a truly champion. To me, this is the best Ralph Lauren ever, but not good enough for thumbs up

BayKAT's avatar

Montana Parfum de Peau by Montana

I have a hard time reviewing a perfume I can't pronounce, but since my SO is one foot away I insisted he say this for me(he's French). The conversation went like this: (me) Pew? (him) Peau. (me) Pew. (him) Peau! (me) Peeuuuw (him) PEAU!

Whatever. Here is what I think of parfum de Pew. It opens harsh, so wait it out a bit. The top notes fade away after 20 minutes, and at this point the fragrance smells 'wet' to me. So, soggy, heavy florals with a hint of incense.

During the middle phase the incense becomes more prominent and the wetness fades away. I like this phase best; the florals and basenotes are really rich. It creates a wonderful halo that is perfect for a cold night. I can't comment on sillage because i can never guess that, but this seems average- not too strong, not too weak.

Despite the name I wouldn't call this a stinker. Like other reviewers, I wouldn't call this a leather either; to me it is more of a floral oriental. For it's price range it is certainly one of the better fragrances.

Slamwich's avatar

Reserve by Perry Ellis

Perry Ellis Reserve is a fresh and powerful smell that opts to project sophistication instead of sex appeal. That power is rather short lived however, as it calms down and wears close to the skin a lot faster than an average fragrance would. The crispness of cold weather helps increase the potency of the freshness in this one. If you keep it subtle enough, this would make a fine daily scent that would likely be very unique, and definitely become memorable to others as “your smell”. That said, it was made for a formal affair; something you would dress up for.

I am partial to it because it was my very first. If one were to say it deserves a neutral vote, I wouldn't be able to hold it against them or try to debate it. However, for me it was good enough that I sought it out again years later, after my old bottle was long gone.

PerfumeCollector's avatar

Sung Homme by Alfred Sung

Actually I was not expecting much from this scent. I found it at a discount store and the price was ridiculous, so low I could not believe it, so I picked it up and brough it home. It spent a few months in my closet, almost forgotten.
    One day I took a late shower and I decided to give it a try since I was not going out for the rest of the day, just in case if it was bad, nobody would notice (LOL).
    The first spritz almost knock me down, so strong, but nice, it did remind me of Quorum and Pinaud Bay Rum, but much more sophisticated. Very spicy and coniferous, slowly developing into this very dry floral. I closes with a basenotes structure that is in perfect balance, very few perfumes can achieve such harmony, specially with such strong notes.
    It lasts and lasts, and the initial spicy notes are still present throughout.
    Very masculine, but not cloying like Quorum.
    It gets my thumbs up, one of my favorites

RicardVonLowen's avatar

Metropolis by Estée Lauder

This was one favorites back in the eighties, along with Halston Limited, Antaeus, Polo, and of course my all-time favorite: Eau Sauvage. I just received a small spray bottle that I purchased online and I was completely blown away. It smells just as good now as it did then, and I am not just being nostalgic, as the olfactory recollection was not that strong. I get more of a flashback of childhood memories from the smell of crayons, or the smell of a musty window air conditioning unit that takes me back to vacations on the Mexican Riviera, than I do from a vintage cologne. This is totally a review that stands on its own. The scent of Metropolis is so fresh and new after all of these years. Yes, it is green, but the sage is not so pointed as cut grass or citrus leaf. And the middle notes: just a hint of floral, but in a masculine way, perhaps through the use of Hedione (dihydrojasmonate). Finally the leather, so light, like a new lambskin wallet as opposed to a new pair of cowboy boots. One of the many (underrated) masterpieces by Estee Lauder.

Rezalon's avatar

John Varvatos 10th Anniversary Fragrance by John Varvatos

clean cinnamon/cocoa opening drying down to vanilla/leather composition. initial spicy tone last a couple of hours before the leather drydown which lasted about 4-6 hours on my skin. liked it way better than artisan.

matthewdro's avatar

La Nuit de L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I love this stuff. Women love this stuff on me. Its a very smooth, deep scent that changes a lot from the beginning to the dry down. It starts off a little fresh , strong, and a tiny bit ordinary but quickly changes to a nice, soft vanilla smell that i just love and is also a little powdery to my nose. A pretty sweet fragrance. The only downside for me is that for some reason when i first spray it on, people always think I'm wearing Dark temptations by Axe. Eww. But it's a really good all around fragrance and lasts almost always at least 9 hours on my skin. Perfect for a night out like the name implies but also good for winter days.
    Overall smell: 9 Longevity: 9 Projection: 8.5 Versatility: 7 Compliments: 9 Age: 15-35
    Final rating: 8.5

mrclmind's avatar

Vol de Nuit by Guerlain

I have always been a lover of both chypres and orientals. Every time a great aunt or older lady in my family or extended family would come around when I was a child, I would adore the perfumes they would wear. I know the moniker "Old Lady Perfume" is supposed to be an insult, but in truth these older women lived before the era of mediocrity slowly started to creep into fragrance. Vol de Nuit is everything I love about classic perfumery. It is at once a chypre and an oriental. From its green opening through its narcotic floral center and into its dark, rich and full bodied vanilla, oakmoss and spice base it is complex, balanced, and unashamed of its own opulence. I know that many consider Vol de Nuit a unisex scent, and I can certainly see why; but in my memory this perfume always will carry associations of strong women who lived through so much and still came out strong, lovely and filled with grace, poise and dignity.

yoyo's avatar

Hugo by Hugo Boss

Fresh but smells just like expansive version of Axe.

yoyo's avatar

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

Vanilla is way too strong. Smells as of you spilled vanilla extract on your self.

Indie_Guy's avatar

Diesel Green Masculine by Diesel

Even if this fragrance was terrible, I'd have it in my collection for the bottle alone-- the bottle is clever, fun and looks cool too.

The scent isn't my favorite, but it's pretty good- It smells like green Gummy Bears living in a pine forest. Very sporty and outdoorsy, a tad synthetic and a bit simple. I wear it every once in a while when I want something fresh and green.

lespritz's avatar

Booster by Lacoste

I like the bottle and box better than the scent! It smells too much like "bathroom", what with the mint, and the alcohol it reminds me of Mouthwash and Toothpaste, two other P & G Products. Thankfully it fades quickly. The who product looked rare and cute, thus why I bought it. Could be good to spray the shoes out(Diesel Plus was my previous shoe-spray). :(

lespritz's avatar

Champion by Davidoff

Smells like Nautica Blue, if it were made cheaper. Don't let the awesome bottle fool you...you're not smelling it!

kingkutty's avatar

Pi by Givenchy

Nastiest frag i've put on my skin so far...I picked up a note that smelled like medicine to me. Probably those Benzoin Crystals. Then the sweet notes were very cloying on top of that. I waited for an hour to see if it would dry down to something nice but I couldnt stand it any longer. I had to go take a shower to get it off of my skin then i drowned myself in a different fragrance just to cover it up. I absolutely do not understand why anyone would wear this let alone like it.

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Ferré for Him by Gianfranco Ferré

In initial blast it reminds me of Dior Homme a lot, but that fades fast and this becomes rather cozy, sensual, masculine, sexy scent. It is not a wild beast, don't expect great projection but you'll feel it from time to time and it'll surprise you! Longevity is around 8+ hours. Very good fragrance!

shamu1's avatar

Adidas Ice Dive by Adidas

This is delightful! I don't like sports fragrances, and Ice Dive is clearly of that genre, but this was such a pleasant surprise! It has little to no originality, and in fact it isn't much different than any other Adidas fragrance. However, there's something so uplifting about this scent that separates it in my mind from the rest of this awful pack, and I feel great every time I wear it.

This is a light woody citrus fougere that blends its grapefruit, lavender, musk and wood notes in such a well balanced fashion, that it manages to rise above this boring genre and simply smell damn good, plain and simple. It has mediocre longevity (about 3 hours), but its lightness makes this a perfect scent to wear at night after a shower, when you don't want to put on something that you're still going to smell on yourself when you wake up the next morning.

I think Ice Dive smells so good that I'm willing to give it an 8 out of 10 rating in spite of its flaws.

I believe I paid about $7 for my bottle of Ice Dive, but I'd pay $20 if I had to. This is well worth the money.

MY RATING: 8/10

Eugene Tooms's avatar

Harrods for Him by Bond No. 9

Absolutely superb fragrance - I can't understand the scathing reviews from some people on this one, though of course fragrance is a highly subjective, personal subject!

I tried this one in the Harrods store in Knightsbridge and found the initial impression of the top notes to be reasonably good, without that "wow" factor...but it soon developed into a different beast altogether, with gorgeous rich, masculine notes all the way through. I've rarely worn a fragrance that has developed so much.

I also wear Riverside Drive and New Haarlem from the Bond no 9 stable, and Cool Water Deep and Tom Ford on other occasions, but Harrods is my absolute favourite. Two people have commented on how nice it is when I've been wearing it. It has good sillage and longevity. It's perhaps more of a winter fragrance as it's towards the heavier end of the spectrum, with the overall impression being elegance, refinement and classiness.

A real gem - big thumbs up from this reviewer!

Nosy Parker's avatar

Feeling Man by Jil Sander

Although I haven 't had the chance to wear this for almost 2 decades the scent remains unforgettable. Since Calvin Klein's Contradiction is similar and maybe even sort of a copy of this I would agree this sexy fragrance should make a come back, there are too many on the market that leave no impression at all.

Nosy Parker's avatar

Iquitos by Alain Delon

Remarkable that a movie star kown for his macho image produced this one of a kind, confusingly androgynous cologne for men. Dior released Poison for women roughly at the same time, and to me Iquitos was in the same realm. Almost intoxicating, mysterious to the point of something sinister, therefore possibly a little too out there for most men. But are vampires not the latest old revival thing right now? Lady Gaga's videos would go terribly well with a somptuous splash of Iquitos.

Named after a notoriously seedy and dangerous city in Southamerica, as Alain Delon explained it the counterpart to Marseille, there is definitely something "fin de siècle" about it and maybe it lacks a contemperary sence about it, but I went through 3 bottles and loved it immensely. Anyway, reveling in decadence was hot in the eighties, what about names like Obsession, Opium, etc?

David Beckham Instinct by Beckham

I got this frag because it was a girls favorite cologne. Its pretty boring and linear but offers a nice fresh "out of the shower" smell, but like most will tell you, the longevity is terrible. Ive never owned a frag that lasted this short, I get about an hour tops then it dries to an extremely close proximity scent. The only person who will smell it after an hour is a girl kissing you neck.

Uses: I find it great to keep in the car or the gym bag for a quick boost of freshness should your deodorant fail or your real cologne die out on a long day.

Vegas by Playboy

Extremely bland, linear, and un-unique. Smells very synthetic like bad root beer Axe body spray. Not even worth the cheap price tag unless you love it and are in a high-school setting.

Jake by Hollister

Way too popular of a scent, you wont get noticed by any girls with this. Only a high-school/middle-school frag. Nothing special, very soapy and bland.

voidvader's avatar

Azzaro pour Homme Elixir by Azzaro

I am glad it´s not another marine-ozone scent! On paper i liked it very much, but on my skin i stated it lacks of masculinity. Trully, for me it´s a feminine scent.The idea isn´t unique... Open with red fruits, goes to a big hint of powder-vanilla and a cedar note, wich i like. But sure it is synthetic... It´s the opossite of azzaro Visit. Elixir has too much vanilla for me, wich i can still handdle, but won´t buy. It not offensive like Pi or Angel men. It has a great longevity and sillage, a plus for sure... It remembers me of D&G light blue for women and burberry london. For me visit is my azzaro number one.

SoCal Cologne by Hollister

A sweet musky scent with a slight woodsy twist. Like I said about Jake from Hollister, its way too popular to get noticed by a girl, or at least spark her interest as she has most certainly smelled it before. SoCal surprised me the first time I wore it as it was linear yet not linear. It actually has a quite nice dry down and a good medium range. Its a well balanced frag for a store brand. Great for middle-school/early high-school, after that you need to start branching out and stop buying frags from the stores you buy cloths.

All in all its a good "starter" cologne for the young crowed but nothing special.

onceling's avatar

Breath of God by B Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful

The smoky opening is really beautiful and starts off a long, layered dry down into cedar and through a pretty, feminine mid-note palatte. It lasts nicely, and has a lot of depth. I wish there was a little more smoke in the base to enjoy but it's still quite unusual and pretty.

I feel it is definitely at *least* unisex, and very wearable as a woman compared to some of the other smoky/cedar options out there. Just one spray on my hand was enough for me to get a full 5 hour journey, and my skin usually evaporates anything within an hour.

ZeCheiroso's avatar

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

(consider THIS the one to be posted, I will remove this note later)

Versatility *****
    Durability ****
    Sillage **
    Top ****
    Heart ****
    Base *****
    Final score ****

Concentrée is the only version apparently.
    On this follow-up review I noticed I might be going crazy, or at least my perception of this scent changed dramatically.
    Final edit this time.

The good
    A marvelous creamy, superb lemon smell. At first I thought it couldn't be serious, it's lemon with citronella! It didn't take me long to start loving the smell though, it's soothing, uplifting, embracing.
    That creamy citrus theme lends an unusual kind of freshness that some seem to read as formal, elegant, I read it as laid back and fun. I've seen a 50some lawyer with it but I regard it as a casual, vacation, mild weather and warmer scent. A 20some guy could easily pull it off, as well as women.
    Two weeks after I began wearing it, it changed into something close to what most reviewers described. The lemon is half gone, the pepper appeared in the heart, the drydown has musk, cedar, and some citrus peel, good but it's mostly an amberish skin scent at that point. Despite that, the longevity is pretty good and higher than what first impressions would indicate.
    It's indeed a stylish jack of all trades.

The bad
    The price tag is the usual for Chanel, top tier of designer price range.
    It made me go from love to noncommittal, then to "ok, I really like it".

The ugly
    Limited sillage, it lacks some punch too.

01st December, 2010 (Last Edited: 04 December, 2010)