Fragrance Reviews from December 2010

Escape for Men by Calvin Klein

Not too bad. Of the CK scents since Obsession, this is probably the one I would buy if I were forced to buy one. In the opening, I don’t get the mango at all, but the melon and grapefruit come through clearly without very much synthetic vibration. I think the aromatic heart notes have a good deal to do with the pleasantness of Escape—they make it airy and light and it even borders on “natural.” There’s also a certain earthiness as well as an airiness and wateriness to Escape, and it’s so nice not to be banished to sweet synthetic land as happens all too often with CK’s scents. This fragrance even has a discernable and pleasant dry down and very good longevity. A nice one.

Truth Calvin Klein by Calvin Klein

Not too bad – I’ve tested many worst Calvin Klein fragrances. The opening is clean but a little too sweet – fruity sweet – for my tastes. It has a little of the usual Calvin Klein signature synthetic tinge to it, but I’m getting so used to that, that I’m beginning to tolerate it. The basil of the middle seems to magnify the sweet fruitiness, which soon becomes a bit excessive… starts to cloy. And this threat of cloying isn’t helped by the base, either, because the woods come off as sweet, also. Still, there’s a green freshness to the fragrance that feels rather good. The sillage is average and the longevity is acceptable. Truth is not a very creative or refined, or beautiful fragrance, but it’s ok.

Fleur de Rocaille by Caron

"Gentle” is the word for Fleur de Rocaille. A quite soft, smooth, gentle mixed floral / fruity fragrance. It isn’t subtle or transparent—there is plenty of substance in its presentation, and it has aldehydes, albeit they are done quietly. It’s just so warm and soft and feminine. It begins floral with a touch of green, and moves to a floral heart with a touch of peach, I believe. The middle floral is primarily a gently done rose and lily of the valley with, of course, the obligatory jasmine. The base is primarily a smooth wood accord with a bare dab of powder. I do not determine any spice in the entire run of the fragrance. This is such a pleasant, feel-good, gentle scent. It has very nice longevity. Another very worthy Caron fragrance.

Fleur de Rocaille should not be confused with Fleurs de Rocaille, which is the older, stronger, more classic version – also very beautiful but in a more middle of the 20th century way…
    foetidus

Originally submitted 12 April 2008

mrclmind's avatar

Attrape Coeur / Guet-Apens / Royal Extract by Guerlain

Attrape Coeur is a very rich perfume which straddles the Oriental and Chypre lines. It opens with peach and a dash of bergamot on the top. The heart notes reveal a luscious tuberose, jasmine and rose blend over a distinctive Guerlain chypre base of oakmoss, amber, vanilla, iris, tonka, patchouli and leather. On my skin it starts off sweet, floral and fruity, then turns to a very dry oak moss reminiscent of Mitsouko, and sweetens up again as the dry-down moves into a somewhat typical Guerlainade base. Although there are very obvious floral elements in Attrape Coeur, it never displays itself as a floral scent, rather it is very much a chypre, albeit on the sweet borderline gourmand side. It is no more feminine than Sagamore by Lancome, or Tiffany for Men. This scent can obviously be classified as a "unisex scent." In fact the SA at the Guerlain boutique said that it is considered one of the Les Parisiens "shared" scents. It is, on me, Mitsouko's sweeter sibling.

PerfumeCollector's avatar

Pour Un Homme by Caron

It took me a bit to really understand this perfume, my first reaction was very negative, a sharp, cold, herbal, strident lavender opens up like gangbusters to rapidly warm up to a sweet vanilla with a hint of cinnamon. It's like going from cold to hot. The herbal (rosemary) lavender plus the fleeting citrus opening makes me feel like coming out of a cold shower, squaky clean and shivering, to rapidly getting warmed up by this wonderful vanilla with hints of cinnamon (not in the list of notes). It makes me feel like cozing up in a huge fireplace with blazing cedar logs while laying down on a bearskin rug. I don't get the civet note some reviewers mention, neither the moss, but definetly there is somethig that reminded me of the bearskin rug.
    It is not among my top-top scents, but I like it a lot and gets my thumbs up.
    To those that trash this perfume I only have a word for them: Patience, give the frag a chance, I hate those people that either trash or praise a frag after just trying a sample, and there are too many of those around.
    Anyway, I always like fragrances that tell me a story.

06 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 20th December, 2010)

Joe_Frances's avatar

Krigler America One by Krigler

America One, like all Krigler's I have tried, is a very unusual nostalgic fragrance. Cold modernity has not intruded onto the minds of the makers of this fragrance. It is aromatic, almost camphorous, and more that just a bit minty and soapy. It is not particularly "masculine" nor "feminine" nor "unisex" -- it defies those characterizations entirely. After all, would the scent worn by an old uncle or auntie be something you would characterize based on gender or experience? This is a fragrance of nostalgia and experience. This is a history lesson in a bottle. A beautiful, strange history lesson. It is pretty much the opposite of what one would conceive as a modern fragrance. It is not subtle, easily understood or intentionally non-offensive. This is a fragrance that knows its name, and likes it. This is more of an upfront powerhouse, but just maybe it goes so far back that it would make the 80s powerhouse fragrances seem vulgar. It tries to some extent to smell fresh with an added element of mint and some other odd unpredictable fresh notes that I can't grab. (Is that Tide I smell?) But in the final analysis it's not really a fresh scent. It is not a shy fragrance by any means, but it is well, I guess you'd say "nice" (unless it's put too strongly, and then wouldn't be nice).

The kiosk in the Plaza is so charming, and so interesting in a simple but undefinably retro way, with the picture of Grace Kelly and all, I can't help but think of this as a simple, undefinable retro fragrance. I am not sure in trying America One whether I should laugh and say, "wow they actually make fragrances like this in 2010/2011?!" Or, wow, how lucky am I that I can actually BUY something like this today?! I have no idea how others will take to this. It is either an odd museum piece or a classic. It is either something to be loved as a gem or dismissed as an irrelevant relic. I am not sure. I may be sampling this for years.

06 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 24 December, 2010)

MOONB's avatar

Pino Silvestre by Silvestre

Pino Silvestre, aptly named after the genus of evergreen Pinus Silvestris (the common Christmas tree) lives up to its name. The sparkly lavender and lemon that explodes off its top is quickly joined by a honeyed pine accord that eventually fades into a very clean musk. To its credit, Pino Silvestre never smells like floor cleaner, furniture polish, or chemical in any way. The overall effect is quite beautiful, and very well done! It's just too bad pine is passé. I get about 6 hours out of this, with ample projection. Worth checking out if you enjoy fresh, green fragrances, but are tired of summery vetivers and aquatics. $4 an ounce isn't too bad, either.

06 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 25 December, 2010)

Dunx's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I don't think it's really fair how great this smells.... Absolutely brilliant.

06 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 28 December, 2010)

Grottola's avatar

Eau de Rochas Homme by Rochas

One of the best masculine citrus fragrances I've ever smelled. After trying both versions, I don't seem to find much difference between the vintage (Eau de Rochas Pour Homme) and current (Eau de Rochas Homme). This is a good thing.

Eau de Rochas Pour Homme is a sparkling, zingy citrus fragrance that knocks your socks off with lemons, limes, verbena, and a shot of pine. It's very refreshing and "fun". The citrus never really stops giving, either - I get up to 9 hours of this baby, and during the 9th hour I can still smell the smooth base note of vetiver and oakmoss. This fragrance is tart and citric, but at the same time bracing and enjoyable. It harkens back to the classic Eau's of yesteryear where the citrus was done right.

So anyway, guys, if you want a long-lasting citrus for summer, put down Acqua di Gio or L'Eau d'Issey and smell Eau de Rochas Pour Homme. You'll see (smell?) what you've been missing.

06 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 25 April, 2011)

Mon-Petit's avatar

France France

Encens et Lavande by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This is a wonderful blend of natural essences, resulting in transparency, delicacy. I generally have problems with lavender in fragrances but this one does not smell synthetic at all.
    The head note, a stunning imaginary lavender accord, made of juniper, rosemary, angelica.
    The true lavender comes later, she expresses progressively on the heart, warming up by incense. A very pure incense, not mixed, aerial and haunting.The clary sage shades the fragrance throughout the evolution; developing an ash impression, woody, dry and rich.
    The notes dynamic is fascinating, at first dreamy, voluptuous then ashy and darker. No need to add that i consider it to be a masterpiece.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Update : this fragrance is totally ruined in its actual form. Really bad reformulation happened recently, now it's a poor synthetic "barber soap" lavender ... The mysterious aura and authentic lavender smelling are unfortunately gone ! I cherrish my old bottle more than never, as it was my favourite lavender...

06 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 15 September, 2012)

mrclmind's avatar

Armani Eau Pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

This is a very refined, elegant chypre. It's a smooth scent which opens up on a bright bergamot, tangerine and lemon citrus accord, with a very slight hint of basil. Cloves and lavender always improve one another, and the heart of Armani Eau Pour Homme is a testament to this. The dry down is a bit light for a chypre with oakmoss, musk, cedar and sandalwood and perhaps a bit of benzoin. Although it does tend to be somewhat on the powdery side, it's not overly sweet or cloying. It has about the same longevity on me as Chanel pour Monsieur (original). Armani Eau Pour Homme is a classic, and doesn't smell at all dated or old fashioned. It can be dressed up or down. Very nice!

HDS1963's avatar

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

I'd read the reviews of this and had anticipated it greatly.

I can honestly say this is awful and I don't know what the fuss is about. I absolutely love tobacco based fragrances and own a fair few. But dear God, all you get is an overpowering tobacco and a dreadful amped up vanilla that is sooo sweet it rots your teeth.

After half an hour I had to wash it off, it was turning my stomach.

I could live a lifetime and happily never smell this again. In fact, I just might.

Mario-K's avatar

Poland Poland

L'Essence de Must de Cartier by Cartier

This scent is for Alpha Male over 40 years old. Classic, but unique. Longevity projection and sillage better then bunch of skunks ;), but fragrance is incredible. Love this scent, but I'm not too brave to use it for everyday. For fragrances conneseurs.

Late-Hit's avatar

Patchouli Patch by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This is not the fierce and camphoraceous patchouli of head-shop days gone by, but rather the smell of a little garden where patchouli plants once grew... and then the patch was rototilled.

All through the dry down I am reminded of the smell of an old antique store, with bare wood floors, a lot of old books, and maybe some turpentine rags by the back door.

Yes, I like it a lot... but I'm actually surprised that more people don't hate it. Patchouli Patch is a very unusual fragrance.

scentsitivity's avatar

Resin by D.S. & Durga

Resin lives up to its name: this is about as resinous as a fragrance gets. I find two notes in the description I read online, Brazilian copaiba balsam and myrrh. And to me it smells like EdP-strength myrrh touched with resinous coniferous notes. A very interesting smell, but a bit intense and one that I am not sure is suitable for human use.

GECKO's avatar

Bang by Marc Jacobs

i don't know why anyone would want to smell exactly like black pepper.... not 50% like black pepper, or 80% like black pepper... but 100% exactly like you shook a pepper shaker over your head... but if you do, this is your holy grail.

it makes me want to sneeze and wash it off. what a strange, strange concept.

scentual1's avatar

Suntan Lotion by Demeter Fragrance Library

As a Demeter fragrance lab fan, I was looking forward to reminiscing about last summer in Cancun, but was sadly disappointed when I received Suntan Lotion. The only wave I was hit by with this one was sharp acrid comet cleanser followed by a harsh off mosquito repellent dry down. Thankfully this chemical catastrophe was over with in about 7 minutes.

Jus's avatar

French Lover / Bois d'Orage by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

We can not make negative comments here because we are facing one of the greatest men's scent of the last thirty years. I tried hundreds of fragrances, and no, I mean nobody, has these characteristics: class, elegance, persistence and masculinity. Perfect for every occasion, beautiful warm and reassuring in its development of vetiver and patchouli with a hint of incense. Never tiring, always accurate, content is truly the ultimate fragrance for men. Besides you can not go. An absolute masterpiece of Malle and Bourdon.

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

J'Adore L'Or by Christian Dior

A nearly completely different scent from the original . This flanker deserves to stand alone in terms of quality ,elegance and artistry . Beautifully made with the best jasmine and rose de mai from Grasse=from Dior's own fields . For me this scent is all about the jasmine and rose duo which reminds me of Joy but a modern take and sweeter in character .
    The effort put into the juice is great and you should read Octavian Coifan's review of this on his blog. I cannot describe it better than he .
    The packaging is exclusive with an inner and outer box, a small card stating that the rose and jasmine comes from Grasse and that the perfume was hand packaged .
    This all takes me by surpise as Dior is making an effort to put some exclusivity back into their 'mass' perfumes ,it seems.
    Tenacity is excellent - 2 sprays will last the next morning and then some . The depth of the fragrance is outstanding - oily with natural essences ,soft and rich.

Pure White Linen Pink Coral by Estée Lauder

Flowers mooshed together into a lovely paste with the sun shining down on it. Altogether a warm, non-daring floral. I got it because something in it sets it apart, something that wasn't as flat as the rest of the notes - can't quite place it.

Omnia Amethyste by Bulgari

Wonderful and intricate. Mysterious and altogether a beautiful scent. Love it.

Jasmin Noir by Bulgari

This lasts for hours and hours. Smells like jasmin with a black dress sitting in a shop made entirely of wood with gold chains dangling from the chandelier.

Altogether nice but something about it is unsettling. Feels like it isn't the presence that it wished to demand.

Good Life Woman by Davidoff

Fruity floriental: Goodlife Woman really merits that designation. I get a lot of fig… not just the fig fruit, but the fig green as well. The florals are a little less identifiable for me than the fig is: I think I can separate out ylang-ylang and iris, but I get primarily a mixed bouquet. I find the whole presentation of the fragrance very sweet… even sweeter than the fruit would account for and I would suggest that the vanilla contributes a bit too sharply and strongly to the accords right from the start. A strong, sweet vanilla is not a favorite of mine, but it does, along with the fig milk and orris, provide a characteristic warmth to Goodlife Woman, which is comforting if not elegant. Goodlife Woman delivers warmth and comfort abundantly along with its sweetness. I personally think it’s a little too thinly-sweet and the fragrance’s creamy and milky feeling doesn’t quite make up for its massive sweetness.

's avatar

Magot by Etro

I guess people in the famous Parisian café´"Aux deux magots" would think you'd just poured the WC-desinfectant over yourself if you entered the place smelling of this incredibly screechy, dismal creation by Etro. There's so much unpleasantness in this one contained for me that I'd rather not go on writingabout it. Suppose you're ready to spend loads of cash on a scent which is worse than most of the average drugstore perfumes (say "Kate Moss" or "Halle Berry") - then MAGOT is the one for you.

DK Men Unleaded by Donna Karan

A worthy younger sibling to DK Leaded Men. It’s lighter than big brother, but just as unique. This is one of those rare cases where the sequel is as good as the original. Unleaded is lighter, smoother, a tad dryer, a noticeable bit fresher. Where DK Leaded is aggressive and edgy and unique, DK Unleaded is smooth and edgy and unique. They definitely are kindred... both filled with passion and talent, but Leaded is raw, and untamed, while Unleaded went to a very good prep school. Leaded is heavier and sharper—it is saddle leather to Unleaded’s suede. I’m not sure what the notes in Unleaded actually are: they could be leather; they could be tobacco and I think there's some cardamom in there, too. The accords in which they are presented do not seem to aim for clarity; they aim for texture—silkiness. And this a unique, silky smooth, exquisitely linear texture that is as brilliant as the texture of its big brother.

Originally submitted 06 April 2007

cheryl's avatar

Bellodgia by Caron

I am sampling the vintage stuff..my guess from the 70's. It reminds me of the past, I'm thinking a female relative must have worn this. It's a bold and warm blend of carnations and cloves that seems to hover over the skin. I'm guessing rose and vanilla-powder round it out. It smells like an expensive carnation soap. There doesn't seem to be any tricks or fun dance steps here..it kind of marches along. I think it may have been an influence for YSL Opium...they have the same "density". This one is an oriental perfume in a girdle.

Costume National Homme by Costume National

Spicy with an aromatic undertone… I get bergamot and cardmon / cinnamon in a very enjoyable accord. In the heart notes, the cloves join in with the other spices for a quite clean spice presentation. I find that Costume National Homme has more of a linear than pyramid structure, but the spices, with the changing backgrounds, vary enough to not become boring. Between the opening and the heart I get a bit of a smoky patchouli in the background. The pyramid mentions sandalwood and labdanum in the base, but I don’t know if I actually smell them – the spices and patchouli stay pretty dominant. I think Costume National Homme is enjoyable, but the movements are too conglomerate for me… I keep waiting for some woody resinousness to break up the waning spicy linearity, but not much of quality-change happens in the base. The base goes sweetly synthetic-spicy on me, and I pretty much want only to wash it off.

menelaos's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

I've tried this perfume two times on my skin (and on paper) and both times i honestly felt like i was going to be sick. IMO the smell is horrible to say the least. And what's more, it's SO strong and lasts SO long (which WOULD be good if i actually wanted the smell on me). I decided to be fair and give it time, didn't wash it off for hours but its distinct smell would just not fade. It's one of those fragrances that I just can't stand, unfortunately...

SirSlarty's avatar

Molinard Homme III by Molinard

lightly citrus-spice and woodsy, VERY FLEETING, smelled like a cheap knock of Polo... and that's really it... very boring

Postumo's avatar

Spain Spain

7 de Loewe by Loewe

Does it smell or something?

What i've smelled so far from it is unpleasant an cheap. Loewe lies when it tells you this is incense...