Fragrance Reviews from December 2010

Fleur de Thé Rose Bulgare by Creed

There’s an off, sharp green note in the opening that almost pushes the fragrance too much. At that point the fragrance borders on cloying, but these excesses have completely disappeared in a few minutes. Fleurs de Bulgarie’s initial heaviness is necessary in order to build up the energy necessary to release such a beautiful and lasting rose accord. This is one of the most flawless rose fragrances I’ve encountered. The rose note is clear and natural, beguiling and emotive. It is backed up by a light—very light—touch of ambergris and musk, but, for all practical purposes, it is a pure rose scent. Fleurs de Bulgarie is quite elegantly feminine, has excellent longevity, is linear, and is incredibly refined. No seeker of the perfect rose scent should miss this one—it is definitely a contender.

Aqua Velva Ice Blue by Williams

This is an amazing value for the money charged. It really does tone the face. The scent is clean and crisp. My wife loves the scent, and calls it solid and manly. My son, a grown man in his own right says this scent always reminds him of me.

Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum by Pinaud

I like it. I often get compliments when I wear it. Very well priced.

Very Sexy for Him by Victoria's Secret

Love the scent! Received it as a gift from my wife and was skeptical at first. I've grown quite fond of it however, and it is her favorite scent. My one regret is that it does not last long.

Old Spice by Procter & Gamble

It always invigorates me, and brings back childhood memories-- my Dad used Old Spice. I never get tired of it.

Tubérose Indiana by Creed

I have a difficult time believing that this is tuberose—in fact, I brought out a sample of Fracas to compare notes—ok, could be, but there is rose in the floral mix, and the rose comes through very strongly to me. The floral aroma is quite full in the opening—it’s of flowers that have reached full maturity and are just on the edge of being cloying—I don’t feel it crosses the line, and within twenty minutes the accord has lost much of its aggressiveness and settles down to a beautiful and discreet mixed floral. The rose remains prominent to my nose throughout the progression of the fragrance, which consists of the ebbing of the intensity of the florals and the growing prominence of a typical Creed base—ambergris and musk. I don’t get much powder, not even in the drydown. The scent has a rather strong sillage at the beginning and it gradually ebbs with time. It has decent longevity considering it’s a Creed. Tubérose Indiana is a lovely feminine scent—subtle and endearing.

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

Love this scent! This is my favorite work scent as it is not too overbearing, and has great longevity on me.

For some reason I've always thought of this as a young mans scent.

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

I once told my buddy that this scent smells like a high school prom. The boys don't use their regular axe spray or whatever and borrow dad's aqua di gio for their big event.

Not sure how true this is but it's what I think of. I do really like the scent, its just too widely used for me.

Clubman by Pinaud

This scent is pure, classic, old school barbershop. It brings back nice childhood memories of reading Popular Mechanics while I waited for my turn in the barber's chair. My wife likes how it smells on me. I use it very now and again. I have read the review that says it is similar to Canoe by Dana. I would say that they are in the same neighborhood, but not on the same block.

Cuba by Czech & Speake

Cuba opens with a strong citrus / spicy / tobacco accord that makes itself known without equivocation. Quite unusual, it is dense for a citrus accord; it contains a heavy load of passion and romance. Actually, what I really get the first three minutes is a strong fecal note, which then turns into the excellent spice and tobacco accord. After several minutes of the opening, the fragrance takes an astounding turn: It becomes a substantial and compelling green / woody / floral / mild spice accord the like of which I’ve not experienced before: It is totally captivating but I really have a difficult time identifying it; It seems as if it could be patchouli based—such as the patchouli in Borneo 1834, but even Borneo couldn’t match this accord. Since there is no patchouli listed in the pyramid, probably the opoponax / incense combination that is responsible for that extraordinary luxuriousness. I have always been a fan of opoponax, but I have never before experienced it so rich and lusty as this. I can readily accept that the ginger and the geranium are major players in that accord, too, and the combination, with a mint, rose, bay, tobacco, clove (very little), and greens tossed in, is wonderfully fulfilling, satisfying and… compelling. No kidding, this is one of the most accomplished accords I’ve ever encountered—completely addictive. I just have to own this one!

Originally submitted 24 May 2007, Taiwan

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Once Upon a Time pour Homme by Kenzo

Soft scent, has Kenzo PH vibe but they're not the same and it is a bit dark scent. Very decent and a bit spicy. I wouldn't rush to buy it, but I wouldn't discard it if I got it as a gift. Longevity is ok, projection is somewhat limited.

Rob C's avatar

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

This is exactly as other have describe, a clean light fragrance that can be worn at any time. I would describe the Eau de Toildette is light and refreshing but fades quite quickly, by contrast the Aftershave Balm last much longer but to me it has tones of Lemon Grass rather than Lemon, giving it a more earthy quality. Both are elegant fragrances. By spraying the Eau de Toilette on a shirt leaves it with a clean gentle scent all day. I think that for a more passionate moment there might be a heavier fragrance to be found but for profressional situation it is ideal as it it pleasant to the male and female nose. I would recommend this enduring classic.

Chevalier d'Orsay by D'Orsay

Beautiful opening composed of highly refined complex accords of citrus, berries, lavender, and herbs, with florals rising up from the middle. A very attractive beginning: full, balanced, sweet, and done with the artistic delicacy that is so typical of d’Orsay’s fragrances. As the citrus fades, the florals take more and more prominence, until the rather sweet floral / herbal heart is achieved. Again it is a beautifully delicate and refined accord that, I think, gets less masculine as the lavender disappears. I get a mixed floral with the Lily of the Valley taking precedence over a touch of both Neroli and Angelique. It’s not long before the base shows up with the pine, iris, and amber showing themselves with confidence. At this point, the iris and amber seem to seal the fragrance’s fate of living in the condition of borderline masculinity — Chevalier is truly unisex. This fragrance can work anywhere—quiet enough for the office and romantic enough for… romance—casual enough for jeans and refined enough for a tuxedo. It has acceptable longevity. An excellent fragrance: It is so solid in its beauty and delicacy — it is a scent that can be trusted.

Originally submitted 06 April 2007, Taiwan

L'Eau by Diptyque

Nope. Way too much clove for me—Not that I dislike clove, but it isn’t my idea of a good choice for a long-lasting linear fragrance. A good, strong, aromatic clove note is capable of sucking the breath out of the body, and this note is as powerful as they come. If there are other notes in L’Eau, you can’t prove it by me…OK, I lied. I’ll admit that I smelled cinnamon for about seven seconds immediately upon spraying, but seven seconds doesn’t count. This is a very simple scent for a person to make a purchasing decision about: If you don’t like the first ten seconds, then don’t buy because it is strong and aromatic and it doesn’t change except for getting gradually weaker. If you like it, buy it. As for me…no thanks. It’s a great scent for a potpourri, but it’s not my idea of a desirable EDT. Besides, there’s that Christmas ham smell-alike thing…

Originally submitted 06 April 2007

Ofrésia by Diptyque

Super fresh and clean, nicely freesia, nicely green. Pepper as the aromatic in the opening—making sure this pleasant fragrance projects a bit of elegance, too. I, too, don’t really think of this as a floral fragrance—its freshness and airiness take such a prominent position, and the freesia seems purposely watery as it is presented in the heart notes. The fragrance is named after the freesia, of course, but there’s as much a celebration of green, and, later, wood as there is a clean, pure presentation of white florals. Ofrésia has beautiful sillage and incredible longevity. An excellent fragrance.

Olène by Diptyque

Quite feminine. I find it a very strong white flower fragrance—heavy, and I don’t get much of the powder that has been mentioned. I also get a somewhat sharp, quite viscous (think: slimy) green note, which I like at first, but it soon turns on me. Primarily this scent is a strong white flower fragrance, without much more happening. If I try, I can get a hint of the mothball effect that takemyhusbandplz mentioned. As in most of Diptyques’s fragrances, it is very linear. This is a scent that doesn’t hold my interest for long because I feel that these particular accords need to go somewhere—to do something; since they don’t, it brings out a boredom that could easily lead to annoyance. Hence, I find that its linearity is a negative. Olene has excellent longevity. It’s not a terrible scent, but there are more interesting and better white floral fragrances around.

Originally submitted 24 May 2007

L'Être Aimé Homme by Divine

I am so tempted to praise L’être Aimé simply because it presents to me a wearable, attractive immortal note – that doesn’t happen often to this nose – I actually enjoy the immortal accord in L’être Aimé. It is definitely but delicately aromatic without any kind of that aggressive olfactory assault (I’m talking to you, Sables and Eau Noire). As usual with a strong wood / herbal opening, I can’t identify any of the other opening notes besides the wood / herb, but those other notes do help give body to an excellent opening dominated by immortal. The immortal continues for an impressive length of time while becoming more and more skin-scent like. The drydown is a soft, undistinguished wood accord with an anemic sandalwood and later, an unclear synthetic cedar being predominant to my nose.

The way it performs on my skin, L’être Aimé is not very complex but I also find its simplicity inviting and interesting. I truly enjoy the use of Immortal in this fragrance and am putting it at the bottom of a long list of possible purchase… I don’t think it quite deserves a thumbs up, but, personally, I’ll keep it in the “Active” file and give it another consideration a month or two from now.

L'Infante by Divine

What a totally beautiful fragrance: Sensual, gossamery, elegant, delicate, feminine, sophisticated… Flowery, fruity, green, light, and delicately sweet, it reminds me a bit of a creamy, white- floral Silver Mountain Water, only more refined and more regal. It certainly deserves its royal name, with its suggestion of youth, because it is completely captivating in both its elegance and its purity. The delicate greens—ivy and blackcurrant leaves—are the perfect foil for the nuanced florals, while the sweets of the dry down—ambergris, vanilla, musk and tonka—complete the progression to perfection. L’Infante is one very special fragrance.

Osmanthus by Different Company

My reaction to this fragrance is pretty much the same as Gerald’s, especially in that I find very little osmanthus in it. I get primarily rose in the opening. To my nose the citrus is quite subordinate to the rose, and there are definitely osmanthus, green, and bergamot in the opening—but the rose prevails on my skin. It is not a strong, heady rose note, it is soft and demure, but it is the prominent note in proportion to the complete movement of the fragrance. I don’t really get much castoreum, but the hay note begins to stand out about a half hour into the scent, and it forms that earthy accord with the rose, pretty much as in Rose Poivrée, just as Gerald said. This one is weaker than Rose Poivrée, as well as quite a bit less interesting. Unlike Rose Poivrée, its earthiness seems more like an afterthought than the planned intention. Osmanthus has a weak sillage and its longevity leaves much to be desired. This scent had a lot of potential in its choice of notes, but the proportion and progression just do not match the quality of ingredients as far as I’m concerned.

Originally submitted 06 April 2007

Rob C's avatar

Porsche Design Essence by Porsche

Compared with Eau Savage, my other favourite, this is a fragrance more suited to a special occasion or romantic evening. There is undoubtedly a citrus element to this but that diminishes quite quickly, a think a point that it refered to by other reviewers. But an underlying scent remains and does so on clothes for days. Where as the Eau Savage is 'everyday' the more overtly masculine fragrance is not in my opinion. There is a smokey quality that comes to the fore as the citrus declines. I would think that a day time meeting dominated my men could find the masculinity of this scent too much. But in a more romantic and intimate occasion the very masculinity may well be a plus. So I would recommend this for evenings, with someone special.

Encens Chembur by Byredo

This has a resinous, incense-oriented character, and I like it. It starts with lemon-citrus notes and then settles into an airy, woody-incense scent. It is transluscent, subtle, and very classy due to the restrained treatment. At times, there is something suggesting damp, cool and moist undergrowth. There is also a nice bit of spicy ginger. The dry-down gets more substantial but is never heavy or sweet. The ginger-incense chord strikes me as similar to what I find in Miller & Bertaux’s Spiritus/Land.

Bel Respiro by Chanel

This starts with some lovely herbal notes (basil, thyme, perhaps anise). They are green, light and inviting. A few floral notes appear, but they are not too sweet. They suggest spring bulbs like daffodil and iris. The green notes persist and are translucent and lightand herbal. In fact, the dry-down gets more herbal, adding celery-leaf and other leafy notes. I find the scent very nice up to this point. Then it softens and gets a bit sweet and rich. It has a fleshy-leather note that doesn’t quite suit me.

Sycomore (original) by Chanel

Dry… wonderfully dry! Resinous wood and vetiver notes are very well done. This is a bright, woody scent. At times, it reminds me a lot of Cartier’s Déclaration, though it is less lemony. Grassy, smoky and haunting vetiver notes along with peppery spice make this something to enjoy. It is not feminine at all; and it certainly conveys a brisk, assertive air that works for men.

Vetiver by Etro

This is an excellent one for those who, like me, love a rough, untamed Bourbon vetiver. To support and mirror one of the most dryly, rawly delicious vetiver notes that I’ve encountered, Etro Vetiver presents the very dry, herbal, green, and coniferous notes (Clary sage, cedar, and cypress), and the fragrance maintains those accords throughout its entire run. Nothing sweet here, nothing citrus, just the earth’s own dry herbs and pungent greens to augment a rooty, aromatic, resinous vetiver interpretation. This is a vetiver that attacks. I love the nose-thumbing demeanor of this, the driest of dry vetivers. Linear, natural, and with good longevity — Etro’s Vetiver is one of the starkest, least civilized vetivers I’ve found, and it is great.

Originally submitted 24 May 2007

Aramis Cool Blend by Aramis

This starts well, with brisk citrus notes. Lots of lemon and lime here, and for the most part they ring true though at times they veer into a vaguely synthetic style. Then… it is hard to describe where the scent goes next. It is a vague note, like a combination of leather and Play-Do: slightly sweet, sort of fruity-odd, certainly synthetic. Not anything I’d want to wear.

Beckham Signature for Him by Beckham

It starts with a fresh, sweet, slightly fruity note. It develops into a combination of an Avon scent and one of the those rub-and-sniff strips in a magazine. Definitely cheap smelling. Then a rather nasty metallic marine chord appears, something like old tin cans on a beach.

Paul Smith Extreme Men by Paul Smith

The lemon and herb opening is OK, though a bit thin and shallow. It quickly becomes bitter and unattractive. A vague and unappealing grassy note appears. In general, the scent is synthetic and cheap smelling. I have the impression of a bit of plastic left in the hot sun, perhaps even melting slightly.

Vera Wang for Men by Vera Wang

My goodness, this is wretched stuff! Sweet and cheap, positively toothache-inducing. Garishly spicy. Smells like a toxic car deodorizer. Utterly devoid of charm, class or any redeeming features, it is nasty, cloying, heavy and persistant. I can’t scrub it off quickly enough!

M7 Fresh by Yves Saint Laurent

This has a fresh, bright opening of citrus and vaguely ginger notes, the latter seems quite synthetic. Oudh is contributing the bright aspect, and it develops in intensity. The scent gets a bit sweet in the dry-down. Where’s the vetiver? Overall, I find it screechy-synthetic and tiresome.

Eau Sauvage Fraîcheur Cuir by Christian Dior

This is done in a rich lemon/fougere style. It is dense, and slightly fruity. In fact it is very dense, intense, and fruity-plummy. Quite lemon-centric in style. Then a watery-acquatic note appears: dewy and a bit sweet. I don’t get any cedar, amber, or leather. It gets cloying and tiresome.