Fragrance Reviews from December 2010

Narciso Rodriguez for Him by Narciso Rodriguez

Sweet, cloying. Sugary patchouli and amber. Sugar cube on tin foil – quite irritating.

Trèvert by Aftelier

Pine absolute, Flouve (sweet grass) absolute, clary sage
    Green, grassy and quite lovely in its opening. The flouve (sweet-grass) is like hay. It is quite aromatic, almost minty at times. This element contributes a big coumarin note, and there is something suggestive of nice pipe tobacco as a result. There are hints of dusky clary sage. My one complaint is that the pine is very, very faint. Overall, this is a sweet and hay-like scent, not as richly green as it purports to be. It also has quite short longevity, gone in an hour.
    I come to this sort of scent with very high expectations -- I feel it could have been so much more.

Labdanum by L'Occitane

Very, very sweet, with some spices and lots of vanilla and amber. Quite heavy and dense. Not my style.

Escale à Pondichéry by Christian Dior

Starts with a lovely and quite accurate citrus and cold tea note. At this point, the scent is very crisp, refreshing and engaging. It develops lovely gentle jasmine notes with the merest hint of creamy sandalwood. The jasmine gets a bit fleshy-earthy in the dry-down

Eaudemoiselle by Givenchy

Very sweet, floral-musk scent. Gives a young and pretty vibe.

dwrestle's avatar

BOD Man: Fresh Blue Musk by Parfums de Coeur

I was suprised by Bod Man Blue Musk as well as other Bod Man, and Parfums de Coeur products. I didn't really see how the musk smell could be anything but what it was, but this blue musk showed me that musk can be blue(and probably other colors too). You could almost call this Addidas Musk or something like that. It starts off with a strong sports scent type of smell, and a little bit of musk peeking through, but then it turns into more of a musky smell, but it does keep it's blue going throughout the day. Nice fragrance, and cheap too. It lasts a long time on your skin, but it doesn't project out much.

07 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 08 December, 2010)

SoGent's avatar

Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

This one has just helped me realize I'm an aretemesia fan.
    The musk base doesn't hurt matters either.
    A very clean fragrance without being ozonic or too awfully sharp about it.
    It's a definite keeper for me.

07 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 29 January, 2011)

Laureline's avatar

France France

Voyage d'Hermès by Hermès

i like this a lot.

the woods remind me - in a more subdued version - of the woods of Timbuktu or Tam Dao. the high class musk i experience as woody.

there is a delightful surprise for me in Voyage as i seem to get a lot of the various -and excellent- top notes from spices and fruit to flowers before arriving to my lovely (sandal)wood destination.

with Voyage it is like being in an air balloon - a pretty montgolfiere - rather than backpacking through world markets- going over landscapes of various colours, ending up to rest in a cool exotic wood.

i believe the voyage is there and then, going through the top and heart notes and landing in this wood - and then staying there for a looong time.

07 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 20th February, 2011)

lespritz's avatar

Weekend for Men by Burberry

Extremely girly and has poor longevity. Good for any occasion that ISN'T a weekend. Whomever said mold is right. I smell soap, flowers, and clay.

07 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 27 February, 2011)

dwrestle's avatar

New Musk for Men by Prince Matchabelli

I bought this from Wal-Mart in a 3 pack with Bod Man Blue Musk, and Body Heat. All 3 are body sprays in the little 1.7oz windex type of bottles. This is exactly what the bottle says it is...new musk. It has a typical newer cologne citrus aquatic type opening, but I can smell the musk very strong. The musk smell cuts through the citrus, and is very sharp similar to Azzaro Chrome. It almost seems fecal for a few seconds, but it turns into that typical sweet warm musk smell. I love this stuff so much, but I wish I could find it in body spray form in a bigger bottle, but it seems the body spray is a Christmas special only. Oh well I guess I will just buy a couple more of those 3 packs for $5 before Christmas is over. Parfums de Coeur makes a lot of very high quality products I suggest you try them.

07 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 04 March, 2011)

Original Santal by Creed

I don’t know what I was expecting, but it certainly wasn’t this. The review references to Joop! are very much on target as far as I’m concerned. Joop! = Creed?: I’m sorry; I didn’t have that good of imagination, but I after smelling this, I don’t need imagination—THE COMPARISON IS REAL! The opening is not exactly unpleasant, but it is unCreed—un-niche, even. It is aromatic, loud, and commonly spiced, and, well, common; it lasts uncommonly long. It is the cinnamon which provides the primary olfactory link to Joop! Actually, I rather like Joop!. But Joop! has an audacity that flaunts itself in a pushy but lovable way. Original Santal dosen’t have Joop!’s plucky I-could-care-less demeanor. The similarity to Joop! stops when the top notes fade, but that doesn’t stop the recurring memories… And where’s the sandalwood? It’s sad that Joop! has a clearer sandalwood note than Original Santal does. The base is sweet and very thin —nothing of note. I simply cannot understand why Creed would put out a fragrance like this—it is so mediocre designer.

07 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 07 June, 2011)

shamu1's avatar

White Sail by Nautica

Now that I've had a bottle of White Sail for about a year, it's time to revise my review. I liked this scent when I sampled it in the store, but now that I've owned a bottle, I think this is garbage.

White Sail is so generic and inoffensive, it offends me. It is a sour, boring citrus scent, overlying boring synthetic light wood notes. There is not an ounce of creativity that went into the creation of this scent, and it shows.

What else can I say, except that White Sail sucks? I'd better end this review now, before I fall asleep.

MY RATING: 3/10

07 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 27 June, 2012)

Bang by Marc Jacobs

This opens with a good pepper-resin note. It is dry. At times light, translucent and sheer, at other time austere yet powerful. It settles into a good woody-incense chord, with some grassy vetiver notes. A bit synthetic at first, but settles into a very acceptable scent. Well done for a mainstream fragrance.

07 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 16 April, 2014)

tonysoprano100's avatar

Chile Chile

Black Fleece for Men by Brooks Brothers

Not very interesting . Not an olfactory experience....(Thats what I search on a fragance)

Absynthe for Him by Christian Lacroix

Of course, after Tumulte, whatever is launched under the name Lacroix is doomed to be bad. But, this can be worth a try: it is classified as an oriental spicy scent, and as such, it opens with pepper and cardamom notes, as well as what people and experts in perfume - making call "fig". Curiously enough, this mixture feels like a peppery / fruity chocolate mix that seems to vanish after application, however making a grand rentree after minutes, and from then on projecting in a rather subdued way. A mystery of modern chemistry, it might feel a "close-to-the-skin" scent but it is not, but the projection won't feel like powerhouses do. Longevity is quite good, but its complexity is rather tame.

The curious point is that absynthe is an alcholic bevearge made of artemisa absinthium. Even though I never had the chance of smelling that plant's flowers or leaves, I tried absynthe, of which I can tell it is almost the same as anisette. In the case of the fragrance being reviewed, there are definetely none anise-like notes in this blend, so if you look after these, you might as well try other options.

Lomani by Lomani

Initial notes felt like a trip to the past, were not those of inexpensive scents widely available back in the late 1980's? Many reviewers mention Lomani's similarity to Drakkar Noir which was a bestseller back then, thus becoming a parameter for other blends trying to be as succesfull as this one. Might this be the case of Lomani?

Speculations aside, Lomani does not feel like a powerhouse they way many blends launched at that time were like. This is not Kouros, Balenciaga nor Lapidus, less aside Or Black: provided it is applied discreetly - if not, it can turn into a rather sweet blend to the point of cloyness (blame the patchouly mixed with amber) - , the presence of lavender is obvious, but the way it blends with the tangerine and the lemon gives it a humbler character that morphs into very discrete mid and base notes, which are worth waiting for. These - patchouly, vetiver oakmoss and amber - turns the blend into a scent that is characteristic of those worn by during the 1970's / early 1980's: it feels rather classic and gentlemanly, a characteristic that does not give any account as to its very low price.

To a certain extent, while wearing Lomani I had the feeling that it shared notes with Mary Kay's Tribute - call this one Lomani's hiperbolic version. If the wearer wants to compare both scents, he or she might as well check Lomani's and Tribute's pyramids for there are notes in common, namely, hesperidic top notes, woody / amberine mid and base notes.

Choose your version, similar in character, different in the way they both project.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Ferrari Uomo by Ferrari

Love this. It is manly, the best Ferrari jus out there, period dot. A well crafted blend of spices, leather and woods. Lemon, bergamot, juniper berries, nutmeg, and of course the leather. This Ferrari is worth the money! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED Thumbs up!

Black Suede Touch by Avon

It shares many notes with Bogart's pour Homme, however, spicier, without the cherry-tobacco notes, with less longevity but more complex than the former.

It is a very enjoyable scent, with a very contemporary style and I guess the right choice for those with a conservative attitude towards scent-wearing - namely, men who just don't want to be complimented at the scent being worn by them (for this might be ground to think that they just don't know how to wear EdTs) as well as for those looking for a good value for money.

So girls, look for this one if you want to risk making your man smell nice.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Tous Man by Tous

This is interesting. The opening is quite unique (Brazilian orange, ginger, grapefruit, clary sage and pepper), very unlike anything I have tried in a while. Then Tous starts to show its true image: an ostentatious baby powder fragrance, but very 'today'. This is what I would wear to a 'club' or 'bar' or 'disco' where the entrance fee is north of $100, despite the reasonable price tag of Tous.
    If you wear or have tried Valentino's Very Valentino and you are not too happy with the baby powder now and forever linear nature of it, then Tous is a must try/must have. Very well done, definately not an ordinary fragrance.

Also bears similarities to Bvlgari Blu Notte.

Moss Breches by Tom Ford

I was pleasantly suprised by Moss Breches -- I thought it would smell woodsy...Boy was I wrong...I *love* it -- it has this sweet smell to it that makes me love it and a faint mossy smell to it underneath, and then a spicy base. No thumbs up though because these are not really my style of fragrances...even with the sweetness smell to it.

Noir de Noir by Tom Ford

One of my favorites in the Tom Ford pvt collection -- I gotta say that at first (agreeing with The_Cologneist) it smelled a bit too feminine for my tastes (I'm a guy guy :P), but after giving it a second chance it's become one of my staples that I wear very often. I get a very fresh feeling from it -- I can't decide if I like Japon Noir better though, because that one is great too and I think is a tad more masculine.

Oud Wood by Tom Ford

Terrible longevity and smells very synthetic...Don't like this one very much at all.

scentsitivity's avatar

Quercus by Penhaligon's

By name alone, one would wrongly infer that Quercus is an oak-centered scent. It isn't, nor do its notes suggest it. (Why the name? I know not…) Anyway, Quercus starts out with soapy bergamot and a bitter quinine-like accord, reminiscent of Geo F Trumper's Eau de Quinine. Soapiness diminishes and for a time a powdery accord emerges, again suggestive of Trumper's Eau de Quinine. Unlike Eau de Quinine, the powderiness subsides somewhat and the base is forgettable. I am a bit surprised none of the previous reviewers have noted the similarity between this and EdQ. But unlike EdQ, this one bores me. So I can’t recommend it.

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I got a chance to smell this fragrance for the first time in the latest neiman marcus christmas book -- and I was blown away.
    I immediately ordered a small .42 fl bottle from amazon and I absolutely LOVE it.
    It's probably one of the best masculine fragrances I've ever had.
    It's amberish but not overwhelming -- has great longevity, and the drydown is awesome as well.

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

I like to layer terre d'heremes with this -- I think they go together VERY well...hermes first, then one or two sprays of le male to add that minty top coat...it's heavenly!

jathanas's avatar

Bravado 2 by Baxter of California

This one is a pleasant surprise to me.

It has a similar character to Kurkdjan's Aqua Universalis. Smooth citrus opening leading to a sweet heart of soft vanilla and musk.

It lasts well and evolves nicely. Thumbs up

cformosa4's avatar

Gucci by Gucci Sport Pour Homme by Gucci

Fresh, watery, poor longevity, and poor sillage

Smells great though.

PerfumeCollector's avatar

Mesmerize for Men by Avon

I rather like it, and being from Avon, it is outstanding. The opening is rather blah, but the heart jumps right in and it is warm, spicy and I smell myrrh on it although is not listed in the notes. The best part of this fragrance is the drydown, woody(sandalwood?) with some amber, it has nothing to envy to perfumes a lot more expensive, but then again, is not Creed by any means.
    Granted, is not something to write home about it, but for the prize, it ia an excellent purchase.

BayKAT's avatar

Lily & Spice by Penhaligon's

This is one of those 'truth in advertising' scents. Lily and Spice? Yep, that's what you'll get.

Before writing this review I read the entertaining ad copy. Let me share some highlights: 'carnally spiced', 'thick, hedonistic blooms' and accords that 'plunge into dark spices'. My my, pass me a fan and call me blushed.

Now here's what you'll really get: a white floral. And spices? They make a flaccid appearance, yes. Blooms? Sure, but they are so well behaved you could take them to a church social and let them sell cakes.

Oh, and plunges? Only into mediocrity.

I can't say this is a stinker, however. I liked it for a sample run, but I"ll probably pass it along. The dry down 'edges out', becoming less white and more soul, which is nice.

But hey- if anyone is looking for a tantalizing swapping experience that will leave you gasping for more, let me know.

BayKAT's avatar

Coeur de Parfum / Parfum Rare by Jacomo

I always get nervous when I peruse a scent's notes and see my favorites, as I do here. My fear is that it will turn into a stinker, and the disappointment would be too great.

But no disappointment with Parfum Rare. What a surprising find this is! I've never heard of Jacomo until it came by way of a swap

Parfum rare jumps right into its stride with me, not changing much over the entire wearing. So what does it smell like?

A promiscuous worker bee.

This is a warm, golden fragrance dusted with a buzz of spice. It has a strong powdery vibe that reminds me of bee pollen (that golden yellow dust that is heavy and sweet). This powder note is a smidge stronger than I would like, and is the only aspect that gives me pause to buy.

You may want to try this if you are a fan of Organza Indecence, Parfum Sacre, or general Amber scents. This is a sunset fragrance, warm, red, and breath taking. I'll play with my sample over a few weeks and see if my opinion changes at all.